Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 15, 2012
Okay, my wife and I moved into the latest smartphone by getting me this phone and her an IPhone4S. We have shared phone and talked about our overall favorite.

The winner is the Nokia Lumia 900, hands down. Screen size, camera, WindowsMobile all are awesome. I love customizing my tiles and am surprised that there is always an app when I am looking for one. The new look for windows apps is very nice and uses space well.

The only con is that because it is larger and I have a case-mate shell on it, I can't seem to find a leather case for my belt. I called the ATT store and they said they may have one thaat fits it with the case on.

I have had it almost a month and it has never slowed down, crashed, etc. Do yourself a favor and get this phone!
on April 9, 2012
This is an objective review. I have owned all four major operating systems (blackberry, iOS, android, and now, windows phone) so I am drawing from that experience.

Pros:
-first off, price point is a steal. $100 for a new phone is almost unheard of
-call quality is nice, clear and loud
-the screen, although low resolution, is very colorful and nice to look at
-the OS seems fluid. Setup was definitely easy.
-having a dedicated camera button is nice.
-comes with office but.....(see below)
-build quality of the phone is nice and solid. Don't think I will need a case
-the Facebook and twitter integration are well done. It makes it seamless to do a quick update on your status.
-4g is really fast

Cons
-app market Most that I use are there but a few are missing
-battery life. I have noticed my battery does not make it through a whole day with just moderate use. This is my first 4g phone so I will have to make sure I have a charger nearby.
-The power button is on the side of the phone. I have already hit it a couple times accidentally while making calls. I wish it were placed on the top of the phone.
-....Windows phone 7 office is not compatible with all versions of desktop office. For example, I cannot edit a word document that was saved as an Office 2003 word doc.
-the touchscreen is really prone to fingerprints. More so than any other android or iOS device I have owned.
-there is a small gap around the touchscreen that will no doubt collect with debris (like lint from your pocket). I foresee it driving me crazy when it needs cleaned.

I may add more as I continue to test the phone. These are initial observations as I have only used the phone for two days.

Update 5/26: after over a month of use, I still like the phone and can recommend it. I will add a couple more pros and cons below.

Pros- I retract my battery life statement. After a couple charging cycles (and an update) the battery lasts all day.
Con-pictures in emails have a hard time downloading. Usually says "download error".
Pro-love the offline GPS functionality. There are lots of offline mapping apps available.
Con-the marketplace is still anemic. I visit it about once every 3 days and sometimes find that nothing changed.
66 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2012
I switched from an IPhone to the Windows OS last fall when the update from Apple took away the Mobile Me features and the ability for the phone to synce with Outlook for contacts and calenders. I had been using the apple products with my PC for about 4 years and it worked pretty well up until that point, Apple has made a clear commitment to work in a direction that appeals to social networks and game apps and seems to have thrown in the towel regarding business users. My first Windows Phone was the HTC Titan, great OS, lousy call quality and I would never recomend the device. The Lumina not only is a great piece of hardware but it has added Nokia features that allow it further rise above the HTC.

The main thing that needs to be known for all to work well is you will need a Microsoft Exchange account, (about $60/ year, less than half or the Mobile Me cost). With that subscription you will be able to set the phone to sync with your PC and Outlook to maintain your contacts and calenders. You can view all of your mail, not only the inbox but the other folders as well and when you delete it on your phone it will also delete on the PC, sent items will appear in your sent folder on your PC as well. Syncing is almost instant and does not require any effort as the Apple products did.

When you take a photo you can set it to automatically upload to Skydrive and then assign it to whatever folder you would like for anyone to view, no manual uploading one by one as with the Apple. This takes what used to be about an hour project and shortens it to a few minutes. Camera qualit is decent but I still carry a camera for more important shots.

Sending video via email is very simple and the clip length is several time more than with the Apple device. Microsoft Office allows you to upload files and notes in any amount that you need via SkyDrive. All in all, if you have a Mac stick with your iphone, even though it does not have as many features and is slower, it will be more complatible with your other hardware, however if you are using Windows like most of the world, consider the Windows Phone, you will be amazed at what you had been missing.
on April 12, 2012
Nokia has always made the best mobile hardware, at least until Apple started making the iPhone. I would definetely say Nokia has lived up to their reputation with this device. Other than the iPhone, I don't think there is another phone out there even close to the 800/900 in regards to build quality. And visually, it stands alone in my opinion. Very beautiful. Windows Phone 7 has come along way in less then 2 years, I hope they can keep improving but, right now, I think this is the best phone on the market.
on July 13, 2012
I have been using this phone for almost 2 months now, and I like it. I switched over from an iPhone 4 because I was tired of the small screen and the boreing iPhone experience. On the Lumia, the screen is nice and sharp. I actually compared the same online picture with my dad's iPhone 4s, and the colors looked much more acurate and sharp, the iPhone's "Retina display" looked washed out, not to mention how much better it looks with the bigger screen. So, dispite the iPhone's higher resoulution display, the Lumia's screen looks much better.

Now for the os, I was a little unsure about the Windows Phone os, but I actually like it now. Its smooth, and straight forward. I understand that this phone won't be upgradeable to WP8, but this phone won't be compatable with the new features like NFC, and HD display anyways. I think the os will be much better when the 7.8 update will be available (an update this phone will get) because I really want to make the live tiles smaller. Right now, I feel like it takes forever to get to an app because you have to scroll through a bunch of large tiles.

The performance of this phone is solid. Some maybe unsure about the single core processor, but the speed is as fast, if not faster than the iPhone 4s. It definately is faster over the network, becuase the 4s isn't even compatable with 4g lte. You also will find the call quality to be great, and the earpiece is loud enough. I mention this becuase I used to have a Sony Ericsson phone that had such a low volume earpiece, that you couldn't hear anything if you were in an area that was only a little loud. Battery life is great, it can last me a whole day with heavy usage.

The camera is okay. It takes great pictures in well lit situations, but it doesn't do real well in low ligh situations such as in a restaurant. The led flash helps a little, but not much. One feature that is great is the Nokia Play To app which you can play pictures and video wirelessly to a DLNA device such as a TV, or blu- ray player. I had no problems playing pictures, but videos always freeze. Hopefully they fix the issue soon in the next app update.

Finally, the build quality of the phone is excellent. Its make out of plastic, but it feels solid. It feels great to hold, and isn't slippery like the iPhone.

Overall, this is a great phone. I would recomend it to anyone looking for a new experience, instead of the same old Android or iPhone. You won't be dissapointed with this device.
on May 22, 2012
For the price sale, its simply one of the best smartphones out there, super fast, decent battery life, Windows phone 7 has really changed the way microsoft used to be, I don't believe this is a Microsoft product, I can easily say that this is even more beautiful and user friendly that iOS and it has some customization as android does. I loved the way it is integrated with facebook. Best phone hands down!!
on June 16, 2012
Update to this review after the announcement of Windows Phone 8:
It was hardly a secret that existing Windows Phone devices might not get all the features of Windows Phone 8, especially the features that require different hardware. After all, you cannot upgrade the hardware on a phone. That said, there will be an upgrade for the Lumia, to Windows Phone 7.8, including the new start screen, flip to silence and other features that do not require new hardware (thus likely also Internet Explorer 10).

Besides, this is really a non-issue to anyone but haters of Windows Phone, most of whom are probably Android owners bitter since only 7% of them have gotten upgraded to the latest version of Android (now THAT is bad upgrade policy). Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) is a great OS as it is, and will get even better with the upgrade to 7.8. This phone is still beautiful and turning heads. I'm even seeing a benefit in not getting Windows Phone 8 on this device; then I have an excuse for buying the next Lumia version that's gonna kick even more ass!

Original review below:

Got this phone a week ago, and have to say it really is all it's hyped up to be. The design is making everyone turn their heads and ask what phone it is, and the gorgeous screen with fluent Windows Phone showing off its beautiful Metro UI makes most other phones look ancient.
It still takes a bit getting used to WP coming from Android, but my HTC Desire Z android phone has made me feel a strong resent for both HTC and android, being laggy, unintuitive and unreliable. Integration with Office is another massive WP benefit for anyone depending on the phone for work.

The only con I have found so far is that the volume control is too loud at the lowest setting for some applications. I assume Nokia will fix it with an update, or that a third party app will fix it. And with Nokia and Microsoft's reputation for bringing out updates, I feel confident about being happy with this phone for a long time!
on April 11, 2012
Initially I thought no one can beat iPhone but change is static and this fone is amazing. Atleast you go to AT& T and see what it means to you. Truly Amazing 5 of us going to buy this 2 of us already did. I love you Nokia Lumia 900
I love this phone!

The good: looks great (phone & screen), runs very smoothly (operating system, most apps, video), musics sounds great (better than any dedicated music device I have owned). It is so easy to use. Live tiles make the phone seem alive. Nokia drive and maps are great. I love Zune, have had it for a long while and its even better on this.

What needs improvement: apps - there are a few out there that I can't find replacements for, but I know that MS is improving in this area and will continue to do so, so I am not too worried about that.

What is a bit disappointing? - the camera, it takes just average pictures, but I don't need professional level pics. Not bad enough to take away a star.

Obviously everyone has their own needs/wants for a smart phone, and each phone (iPhone/android/WP/BB) offer something for everyone. If you are in the market for a smartphone, I highly recommend at least trying this in an At&t store and see what you think.
on April 12, 2012
upgraded on AT&T from a Samsung Focus so I won't need to get into the Windows interface because i obviously like it. This is a great phone. Looks and feels expensive unlike some of the other WP7 phones out there. Definitely deserves full credit. On top of that Nokia is now issuing the credit which will make it free for me!