Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

on April 11, 2012
Update !! April 13th.: Laid hands on own Lumia 900 y'day. To sum up the topics I raised in my first review:

I took my phone to AT&T store to activate without going through the activation process mentioned in the e-mail from Amazon.I was able to keep my "unlimited data plan" and "200msg" without changing anything. It was great to save $80 by buying the phone from Amazon. Now I will wait to get the $100 credit from Nokia :)

The setup was breeze and I used "AT&T" contacts/pic transfer feature on the phone. They have a 2GB limit to transfer the contacts and pictures/videos - 1 time. I transferred from Iphone (downloaded the app.) and was able to reload back to Lumia 900. The app. is preinstalled. It took me less than 5 minutes. Note: The contacts get downloaded as part of "windows live id contacts" - i.e. if you go into "People" tile - you can filter the contacts by "Facebook", "windows live id" etc.

One thing that made me unhappy is that Lumia has no "label edit" capability in the contact profile i.e. it has "mobile", "home", "home 2", work etc default labels but I cannot edit the name and cannot add "mobile2" if I would like to. AT&T mobile transfer got all information from my iphone which were labeled "mobile" or "home" but if there was more than 1 mobile - the info did not transfer.

Setting up e-mail accounts - yahoo and work was easy. Gmail account is giving errors - [...] error(85010017). It looks like many people are having this error - Lumia, HTC, even Ipads to some extent. Something I believe is going wrong at gmail servers. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Playing with the screen, settings and apps was fun. Downloading the maps on Nokia drive was quick too - u can download each state individually. Ring tones are awesome. Some might not like the "font" size but it was awesome for me reading my e-mails and browsing explorer. The visibility is great and you don't need to strain u'r self to read the information. It might take some time to get used to swiping up/down after being used to swipe right/left on Iphone.

Overall I'm very satisfied so far except for letdown at few instances. I'm hoping future s/w updates will take care of "label" issue and gmail synch problem.

April 11:The phone was amazingly slick during my testing at AT&T store. The screen colors were vibrant and I was bowled over by the windows operating system. I spent about ½ hour with the phone and there was no looking back. I hope to spend more time on the phone and give a technical review once I lay hands on my personal phone. Maybe I will update my "star rating" once I start using the phone more but for now it's definitely a 4.0 star phone(wish the size was little smaller - other than that I don't think I can compalin). Personally, I believe "Black" is a better choice for regular professionals and Cyan is for those who are in marketing/advertising/college world - bright and catchy.

Here's some quick info for who are about to upgrade -

I have unlimited data and 200msg plan and I wanted to stick to this plan. On AT&T website I was given the option to continue using my existing plan if I bought the phone there and similarly the option was available if I walked into AT&T store.
I bought the phone from Amazon yesterday mainly due to the incredible offer of $20 for the phone. Unfortunately on the Amazon website, you don't have the option to select your existing plan. I spoke to Amazon rep. and was told that they had no control over the plan and I was more than welcome to change back to my old plan if AT&T honors it. So I did select a 3 GB plan.

I spoke to AT&T representative at customer service and at AT&T store. They promised me that I can change back to my old plan within 30 days even if I opted for 3GB plan on Amazon. They said my phone is not activated until I call them and walk through the activation process after I receive it from Amazon. During this process I can request to continue my old plan. I really hope this works else I plan to return the phone to Amazon and buy it from AT&T website. I will know it tomorrow/Friday. Will keep everyone posted.

I believe everyone has heard about the software glitch (loss of 3G connectivity at times) in the phone - it looks like Nokia is giving $100 credit directly on the bill no matter where you buy the phone - AT&T or Amazon for all purchases before April 21st. They are planning to release an update on 16th. This works out great for me as now I will get additional $80 dollars for activating the phone on Amazon :)

I have to commend Nokia for being proactive in addressing the issue. As a product engineer I understand there might be glitches once released for production - especially considering the complexity of the software. Atleast they are being honest about it and providing compensation instead of giving "Zune " gift card / saying it's normal to have this issue like Apple did. I hated it when they just casually said that I should not hold my Iphone 4 in a certain way to avoid losing the signal or that I should buy a casing. Ridiculous!!

I look forward to enjoy my Lumia 900.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2012
I have 20+ years working IT and am currently a System Engineer for a software company. I have owned a smart phone since the inception and have used and supported all types. I have had all iPhones recently and bought this WP 7 on my upgrade because I liked the Windows 8 consumer preview so much. Let me say at least twice the battery usage compared to the iPhone. The display blows away the 4S, the camera is equal or better. I love the controls having no problem with their location. The media has already attacked the phone for these issues. The phone runs cooler and is way faster. Most of the reviews I have read by the so called experts are not even close to being accurate. The only negative I can even think of is that yes there are less applications available RIGHT NOW. The apps that are available are quality apps. 98% of the apple apps are crap anyways. I use my phone as a tool and not a toy so maybe the lack of apps doesn't bother me as much. The Office apps and Sky Drive are incredible and FREE. 25GB FREE space. You never have to worry about loosing any pics or docs.
on April 11, 2012
Instead of just echoing the praise of this phone. . .

First off, I WAS die hard Apple! Anyone ever sit and wonder what Steve Jobs was thinking when he sold us his bullcrap of "THINK DIFFERENT?" back in the day?!?!

I love this phone!! But I love Nokia more after they CAME FORWARD and let everyone know that there was an issue! None of this, your holding it the wrong way crap.

I think it might be too late for Nokia. . .

But. . . if your one that likes an underdog, and liked what Apple USED to stand for, give this phone a shot!

It a great phone from a company that needs to catch a break.

Seriously, when is the last time a company said "our bad", and even those that didn't have the issue, we'll take care of you too. ? . ?
on April 15, 2012
First of all,I do not have any bias over any brand,I like both Apple,Google,Microsoft,Nintendo products, even some products from Sony, Toshiba,etc.Whoever make the best product with good value,I will use it.Not Samsung products,2 of my Samsung products both failed me.

My first smart phone was Sony Ericsson P910i, that phone was great.

Then I changed to Nokia E61, boy, the build quality of that phone is amazing! Like a tank!
I still use that phone at home as a VoIP phone (connect with Asterisk SIP server over WiFi),
still using that phone as a back-up GPS (Tomtom with cool Austin Powers's voice. )

Over the years, I used P910i, Nokia E61, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G,3GS, Samsung Galaxy S and more.
(And use many more phones in short period of time, like BB curve, HTC 8925, Palm 650, iPhone 4, 4S, about 20 different models )
We just bought an iPad 3 in March break. My wife love it, but it's nothing inspire to me.

After reading good reviews on Amazon, I bought black one from Rogers Wireless in Canada the second day was available, I bought the last one in the store,so it was selling well even no Ads, no display, no poster, no dummy phone in the store!!!

Nokia Lumia 900 is the only phone I keep playing after I got it since the iPhone 2G, the original one.
And it impressed me more than the original iPhone.

Apple and Google are talking about Post-PC blah, blah.
But Microsoft is the one really sit down and re-think what the future should be!
They seems find a vision(with Ray Ozzie's help?) on the next-gen mobile communication/computing platform.
The way WP7 link,search,organize,display the information, wow, will make billions of people's digital life better.

With this OS on the Nokia hardware and services, the Nokia lumia 900 is miles better than any smart phone!

Many other reviews said many great things about the phone, I just want to add a few things:
0. Dont worry about Apps, Microsoft Visual Studio is the best IDE, (Better than Eclipse. ) writing apps in .net is very productitive,
Nokia is selling Lumia in good volume now, developers will jump in, I may even write some apps myself!

1. You can link contacts from everywhere, google, my old hotmail account, rarely used facebook, etc.
And use the picture on the facebook with the contacts on Google!

2. When you upload a picture to the Skydrive or facebook, it will detect faces in the picture, so you can add tags!

3. You can press and hold the middle button to make call, just say it, it even recognize my accent!

4. press and hold search button, you can do music, image search, and it can do OCR! Will translate words in the picture!

5. I like the edge of the screen, you can feel where the glass ends.

6. The first version of Nokia Drive won't allow offline search, you need to update to the newest one.
Nokia drive is offline, very good if you go oversea or your 3G/LTE connection is not very good.
Nokia Lumia 900 use both GPS and GLONASS, it lock in very fast, much better than my old Samsung galaxy S, even quicker than iPhone.
Nokia drive also have voice in many language, I remember my Vietnamese friends asking me about voice guide in Vietnamese,now he can have it for his parents!!

7. To install Skype, you can go to Skype web site, then send a SMS to your phone, then you can install.

8. If you need Google Voice, You can use GoVoice.It's ever better than for me, because I can use it in Canada.
Google Voice app for android will not allow you to use it outside of USA.

9. There are many very useful Chinese Apps, Bing dictionary, '''' dictionary, '', '''''''etc.

10. For users in Canada, you can add apn to temporarily fix the data connection problem:
apn: rogers-core-appl1.apn
user name: wapuser1 password: wap

11. Speaker phone very clear and loud, not as loud as Nokia E61, but way much better than any Samsung/HTC I used before

12. Battery life is good, finally I can sync my emails every 15 minutes! I had to turn off email sync on my old Samsung galaxy!
I always wondering if Samsung lies on their specs? Battery life on spec always look good, but not in real-life.

A few minor things: (Thanks for db's comment, I found solutions for 3,4)
1. Google finance web site looks bad in IE.
2. Email client can't archive gmail.

Overall, amazing phone, go get it, play a few days, the more you use it, the more you will appreciate the OS/hardware.

Nokia Lumia 900 is the next big thing:Best mobile device for the Post-PC era
on April 25, 2012
Listen, I am reading some of these reviews on different online sites and I can't believe how ignorant some people want to sound. Statements like this phone sucks with absolutely no explaination is just plain anti-Nokia/Windows Mobile bashers venting with a smile.

If these people had actually used the phone and were able to give you a true review of the device it would likely be a 4 out of 5 STARS or better in my opinion.

I mean lets see, I have had the phones for almost 1 week and there is obviously a learning curve for me as you will see below because I had no prior Win Mobile IOS experience.

The learning curve was not that tedious and I can tell you that on day 1, I was fidling around a little longer than I wanted to trying to text or make calls from my phone list but once I got all my contacts transfered and placed as I wanted, and got used to the voice commands, I am one happy camper.

Got my 2009 Chevrolet Silverado pickup all set up with bluetooth and mount accessories as well as the 3.5mm male to male plugged into my stereo and within a week I am now wondering how I got by without all these

Phone is FAST....NO (FACT!)

Phone is great size and weight. (Personal Opinion)

Phone Screen is vivid and sharp. The touch while typing is very responsive. The keyboard and texting ability is better than any phone I have ever used. (Personal Opinion)

Phone is user friendly. (Personal Opinion)

Win. Mobile 7.5 OS is great. (Personal Opinion)

Batt. life is OK and could be better (Use Batt Saver Setting). (Personal Opinion)

No Flash Video support for Win Mobile 7.5. sucks. I mean come on what is the deal it's Windows....hello. Definitely not a deal breaker for me just a little inconvenient as most sites I use it on have apps that work for the phone just like Apple iPhone has to have and hopefully Win Mobile 8 will have the support. (Personal Opinion)

Zune Music Pass for $99.00 a year and my in car stereo linked is...can I say it...yes....a Pandora killer!!! Zune Music Pass is amazing and I am loving it. (Personal Opinion)

XBox Live for gaming....GREAT...nuff said! (FACT!)

Nokia Apps including Nokia Drive means bye bye Garmin. This app is sooo great and it is FREE!!! Used it all last weekend in Detroit Suburbs and it worked flawlessly. (Personal Opinion)

I have used a few smartphones/tablets, Samsung Epic (android) and the Apple 3gs (IOS) and Motorola Xoom wifi (android) and they had some good features and some I absolutely hated. I do not like clutter or searching redundantly for apps/options and the Nokia Lumia 900 just absolutely WORKS for me! I love the voice command controls and how freaking amazing the voice recognition software works.

This is my first smartphone with Windows Mobile OS and I can say I am a fan of it now and am eagerly anticipating the release of 8 and hope it is slated for release via update to the Nokia Lumia 900.

I have the black one and my wife has the white one and they look awesome....kind of wish I had got the white one also it looks sweet.

Oh and BTW, thank-you to NOKIA for stepping up to the plate with the data issue that was quickly addressed and updated via software fix. I mean, I never saw the problem because there is no LTE available where I live yet (coming in 2013 ;-))and I bought the phones after all the issues were resolved and still get the $100.00 credit on EACH phone as well as having got the $100.00 in accessories for each phone from AT&T. All that and $99.00 for each phone.

So take it as you see it but this is my 2 cents and I say the phone rocks and I am a fan.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the cameras. All good, I use canon cameras home and work and I can tell you that if you want a Really Great picture from this camera all you have to do is make some setting adjustments for ISO and light but I have found that the camera works very well in auto settings just able to take better photos with ISO and light adjustments. Camera is GREAT!
on April 13, 2012
As the title states, this is the best phone that I have ever used. The social media integration is perfect, the phone is blazing fast (due to OS, not hardware), the battery life is better than advertised (I get about 7 hours of heavy use) and the UI is both beautiful and easy to use. To top it off, the screen is amazing! Despite the 800x480 resolution, the clear black display with the super AMOLED screen is vibrant and does not wash out in the sun like other phones *cough*iPhone*cough* do.

I had initially heard reviews saying that the Google Apps integration was no good; I would like to say that those reviews were wrong. The phone works perfectly with my Google Mail and Google Calendar, although it does lack the features of Android in terms of Google Docs and Google Play support.

Furthermore, the phone looks slick! The soft polycarbonate case looks more professional than an iPhone and has a design that trumps most Android alternatives with its curves and amazing build quality. With how sturdy this phone is, I am not afraid to drop it even without a case.

But, that is not to say the phone does not have its flaws. Despite the hype about the "Carl Ziess" lens, the camera is not as good as others I have seen on phones. Still, it is among one of the better phone cameras available.

Also, the Zune Marketplace is lacking in apps when compared to that of the Android or iOS market, but most of the "staple" apps are present such as Netflix or Spotify. I had to pay for a good YouTube app though.

This brings me to another issue, the Zune integration of the phone. Honestly, I hate both the Zune and iTunes software. I prefer my phone being mounted as external storage like and Android device so that I can choose what goes on and off the phone and where rather than having to go through extensive syncing processes. This is more of a personal preference rather than an objective issue with the phone.

My last complaint is the lack of support for EAP-TTLS networks. This prevents me form being able to use my works secure WiFi connection and means I have to use the slower and less secure open network if I want to use WiFi. Oh well, at least the phone's 4g speeds are faster than my works secure network :)

Ultimately, despite the slight flaws the phone has, I can say that I have enjoyed using it more than a previous iPhone and Android phone. It is fast and intuitive which leads to enhanced productivity and has all of the features one might want for a great multimedia experience.
on April 9, 2012
Alright, I am gonna write this review the way I talk and hope it helps people. Seriously I have been waiting for a very long time for this phone and no not a long time like a month or whatever I mean since it was announced last year. I told you that cause you have to understand the high hopes I had for this phone. I pre-ordered the phone at an ATT Corporate store of course since it was a pre-order I had to wait for it to arrive. Well the Friday before launch I got a special surprise in the mail! When I opened the box the first thing I snagged was the instruction manual.. j/k. The phone feels extremely solid, no give anywhere on device, unlike my Samsung focus that had a ton of creaking going on. The software which I have been using since launch day feels just as awesome on the beautiful Nokia Clear black screen. Blacks are black and colors are almost floating across the screen, amazing!

Here are my gripes about this phone, the main camera while amazing has a strange effect. It has this ghostly shading in the middle of some white and grey objects, it can be distracting (I'm sure they can fix this with a software update) the flash is amazing but for some reason is a lil too hot. The front facing camera is amazing but for some strange reason flips your image around when it saves which is strange, (I never had a front facing camera on a phone so it could be normal but I don't like it). Before your like well forget it I love taking pictures and now I don't want this phone. Hold your horses! The Camera is actually AMAZING! on most circumstances it takes very clean detailed pictures and has a great macro mode that is shockingly great! The front camera can let you video chat in almost complete darkness ahaha it was kinda funny cause I skyped (Skype beta available if you bing search it) with the lights off to see if it worked and my friend was surprised as I was!

Final thoughts, this phone is just a pleasure. Everything is quick, fluid, attractive and solid. Other than the few hiccups with cameras I have nothing negative to say about this phone. I'm sure the app store obsessed people out there are going to say hey what about the fact that Windows Marketplace only has 1/10th of the apps of other app stores. Yes its very, very true and yea I do wish it had more apps but the ones they do offer are much better than other app store versions. Not to mention more are on the way. At 99, or 49, or 0 dollars this phone is an amazing buy and everyone should seriously check it out.
on April 12, 2012
Excellent Quality Phone, Stunning looks, Nice OS, Alternative to IOS/Android. Joy to use for beginners and power users alike.

Looks as if a few reviwers here are giving the phone 1 or 2 stars have not even used the phone or are completely biased to iPhone or Android.

Rest assured, you cannot go wrong with this phone, contrary to what these people say. The build quality is top notch and has great head turning looks. The Windows Phone OS is excellent and a good competitor to IOS and Android. I own this phone and i'm coming from a Galaxy S2, IMO this phone is better and more fun to use. You won't be disappointed.
on April 8, 2012
This screams quality, feels great, love the design. Screen is great and the OS is super smooth.

Great price, call quality is tops. Zero bugs unlike my android. All the apps I need. and the facebook integration
is way nicer than Android. The included Nokia drive is great. Offline turn by turn navigation normally costs a ton on
my other phones.

Web browser rocks also, pinch and zoom works now!

You can't go wrong.
on April 9, 2012
As a current WindowsPhone user (Focus S) I'm very familiar with the software and the OS. Because both products run the software, I'll focus my review on the hardware and wow, this Lumia is built extremely solid!

The phone is a bit thicker than the FocusS, and if you saw my review of the Focus S, I really didn't like the phone being that thin. It made it feel very plastic(y)and it was hard to hold (slippery). This phone's added thickness, solid one piece body, and the texture of the material just makes it feel great in the hand.

The rear 8mp camera is pretty good. I was expecting to be blown away by it, but I wasn't. It's solid. I'm hoping Nokia has a software update to improve the color because the Carl Zeiss lens should take better pics (daughters iPhone camera slightly edges out the Lumia here). This is really the only minor complaint I have w/the phone. The front camera is fantastic. Everyone I Skype using the FFC can't believe the quality and clarity of the video chat. It really is impressive for the both the phone and for Skype itself.

My initial thoughts on the screen were mixed (when compared to the Focus/iPhone)because the Lumia does have a higher saturation level. But after a few minutes of use and a few comparison tests those initial questions were gone. For one, comparing the Focus to the Lumia in bright sunlight is non-starter. It's not even close. The Lumia blows it away. It also beats my daughters iPhone in direct sunlight. Higher resolution would be nice (so i'm told) but I haven't found a use for it. I am doing the comparison with the FocusS (same resolution) and an iPhone4 (not 4s) so maybe if I had something to directly compare it to I would change my mind....but doubt it. This screen kicks butt!

FINAL AND MOST CONVINCING TEST! - My 17 year old daughter plans to get the white Lumia 900 when her iPhone4 upgrade is available.