on April 10, 2012
Things about me:
- I'm a former AT&T employee
- I worked for a mobile app company in Silicon Valley
- I'm a tech geek with a love for phones and switch mine out every few months, at full cost
- I have been an Android and iOS user for the last 3 years (both job and personal use)

Things that I love about this phone:
- W7.5 is pretty impressive. It is clean, neat and minimalistic. I have worked with dev in iOS and Android OS. I was a Nokia fan since the 90's (Snake anyone!?) and have always felt that I had a good experience with their Symbian OS phones.
- This phone is solid. It does not feel cheap. When I tell people it's $99, they're shocked.
- Easy to navigate. Whether you're a smartphone newb or a tech geek like myself, you'll be surprised at the ease of use of this phone.
- Screen is clean to read and use. Although I'm young, I hate small screens and this screen is not small. It's small enough to go out in my wristlets but big enough to find in my purse.
- Texting/typing on this phone is amazing! I always had to get aftermarket keyboard programs for Android bc the native keyboard blows. This types very intuitively and is not over-intrusive like iOS's keyboard/tying.
- Office365/Outlook integration. I work for a MS partner and everything I use is neatly accessible from this phone. It makes my life so much easier to see everything threaded and in the appropriate spaces.
- Live Tiles! This is so cool! I can see all the new updates as they come through about a particular person if I have them as a live title on my screen.
- Everyone is griping about Pandora not being on W7 phones, but I'm a Spotify gal and it works flawlessly on this phone.
- Works great with my Scion's in-car controls... Allows me to drive to SF without worrying about looking at my phone to change the music.
- Love the volume/speakers on this thing. Granted it's not the best, I appreciate the loudness of it and it sounds clear.
- Camera quality is insane! I took a photo of a busy intersection and it caught a moving car in perfectly clear photo. The car must have been moving at 35-40 MPH! The photo was taken during the day time with plenty of sunlight.
- The navigation on this phone is AMAZING! Wow... I will never go back to Google Maps or any other mobile map as the "Maps" native app gives really precise directions that most navi-systems costing hundreds of dollars also do. My bf is a former audio installer and he is impressed at the quality in which the directions were given as they are truly turn-by-turn directions.
- Sky Drive is neat but I still installed a 3rd party app to access Dropbox. I prefer Dropbox as I have all my stuff on there already and Sky Drive's login is tied to your Windows Live account.

Things that I'm meh about this phone:
- Battery life. I was expecting Nokia phones to last like no other but this one is average. With the "battery saving" feature, I can go 15 hours before it beeps that it needs to be recharged. I consider myself a heavy user and I feel that the battery life is adequate for the average user.
- I miss some of the touch-and-go features that Android had (brightness controls, on/off wifi/bluetooth, etc.) but realistically, I never used them enough to really care.
- The position of the buttons. The volume rocker is at a nice point in the phone and doesn't require me to hold the phone with two hands (I have really small hands!) to turn the volume up or down. The power button is in the middle which totally erks me. And the camera toggle is placed at the bottom which I naturally want to hit as the power button.
- The charger being placed at the top. I guess I'm so used to the Android-based phones having the charger at the bottom that I just need to get used to it.
- Sometimes, I will double click on the screen during camera mode and the photo won't snap. It's annoying to only have to press the button at the top of the phone to take a photo.
- I've done the "hold camera button while your phone is in sleep mode to active camera mode without unlocking your phone" and it seems tricky. Maybe the gel case on my phone makes the responsiveness of the camera button slow but it only works some of the time.
- When I turn down the all the way to zero for the ringer, it doesn't go into a silent mode. I have to go and manually turn off the vibration in order for it to be a true silent mode. Lame!
- I formerly worked for a mobile phone ringtone company and tried to send the phone a custom ringtone through text message. There's no option to download the ringtone directly from the message. This is sad that you have to download the ringtone onto your desktop, load it up with Zune then sync. (Sound familiar Apple?)
- No task killer. I opened up Zune to play a podcast and it wouldn't close completely until much later. My thought: is it still running in the background? Kind of hard to say when there's no way to view what tasks are actually still going.
- No removable battery. I'm on the fence about this as I feel that in the long run, this could be a problem which causes you to have to replace the phone if the battery is bad. But at the $99 price point, it's not going to be too big of an issue. I would have preferred to have a removable battery versus the pinhole reset button at the top.
- No SD card slot. C'mon now, this should have been a given. I understand that it comes with Sky Drive but not to be able to use my 16GB class 10 card is a waste.

Overall, I had to give this phone 4-stars only because I feel there are better OS improvements that should be made in order to make this a good phone.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2012
Just a quick background. I have owned a Samsung focus(windows phone),Iphone 4, Ipad 2, Motorola xoom (android tablet)..and now a nokia lumia 900. Ive got to say, this thing is SEXY! Its heavy but not too heavy(very sturdy feel), the Windows phone interface is so easy to use (and dare I say fun?) The phone syncs with facebook and twitter without even having to download an app. speaking of apps, a lot of people have complained about the lack of apps. Sure, Temple run, angry birds space, hulu plus, pandora, and instagram arnt currently available (im sure they will be eventually)but there are alternatives and apps like ESPN, Netflix, gasbuddy, kayak, groupon, Amazon Kindle app, and allrecipies are available (and thousands more)..So far the battery life is great, camera takes great pictures (nokia has an app exclusively available for the phone called "creative studio", awesome picture editing app)..you really cant go wrong with this device for the price (hell even if it was the standard $199 itd be worth it.) The phone is fast, sturdy, the screen quality is excellent, and battery life is good. If you are eligible for an upgrade the phone is only $19.99 or $49.99 for new ATT customers. You WILL NOT regret purchasing this phone.
on May 29, 2012
It seems that every detail and feature of this phone has already been discussed in the hundreds of positive reviews on this phone. After using blackberrys for years, I wanted to upgrade to a 21st century phone with a large touchscreen and fast internet, which the blackberry severely lack in, without sacrificing the ease of emailing and texting. After reading the reviews on Amazon, I wanted to get the Nokia Lumia 900, but was convinced otherwise by AT&T employees at the AT&T store. So I first tried out the HTC One X and was disappointed with the buggy software and terrible email and text interfaces and notifications. I returned it after 10 days and got the Nokia Lumia, and I couldn't be happier. The unique colorful and graphical interface of this smooth and sleek phone is just amazing. It feels great in my hand and is just a pleasure to use. The reviews for this phone are being accused by iphone and android homers as being written by paid bloggers or employees of apple/google. This is because this phone really is amazing, in ways that any review written about it is going to sound cheesy. Setup, texting, emails, photos and internet are all so easy. The touchscreen keyboard is the best I have ever used. The "pin to start page" feature is awesome and makes the phone so easy to use. I have only had the phone 4 days now but I love it. My only complaint is the lack of availability of more apps, especially instagram, google maps and google talk, with Microsoft forcing you to use Bing, MSN Messenger and either their map, AT&Ts maps or Nokias (Nokias being the best). I am sure with the success of this phone, many more apps will soon be in development for it. I also can't find a cover for the phone, even after going to the AT&T store, best buy and Frys. I also assume with the continued success of this phone, more stores will start carrying more accessories for it. For now, I'll order them online. Nokia is back after being irrelevant since the late 90s, and Microsoft is off to a great re-start in the mobile market with their Mango OS. Great job Nokia!

3 week Update: I have had the phone for a while now and still think it is great. Many more apps come out weekly and updates to some current apps have helped. There was an update to the OS as well, although I noticed no difference.
My picky complaints about this phone that I would like to see fixed in the future include:
1) Swipe Left and Right to navigate internet explorer;
2) A forward button;
3) Screen Capture!;
4) Google Maps!;
5) Although most reviews praise it, I am unsatisfied with the battery life. Maybe I use the phone too much;
6) Voice input function is great, but would like to see it available for emails as well, not just text messages;
7) Apps such as yelp and flixster are severely toned down from their iphone/droid coutnerparts, you can't login to your account and write reviews! Why? Is this due to limitations of the phone? Or they didn't want to spend more time and money on a robust app for a less popular phone?
8) Live tile page is great, would love to see the ability to have more than one page of it, and to choose tile size. I hear this is an option in windows 8, which our phone probably won't support.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2012
I've been keeping an eye out for the Lumia 900 for some time because it felt like the first device that did Windows Phone's sleek interface justice. And then there's the Windows Phone OS itself, which unlike iOS or Android (iOS clone with flexibility) takes a completely novel approach to mobile computing. And the result...is mind-blowing. Sure, initial reviews, impressions, and brochures can tell you the specs of a device, but what's it like living with it?

I admit, I was reluctant to jump ship and use Windows Phone as my daily driver because my Nexus ONE got everything I needed done, done. It was clunky at times, but I knew there was an app for every task I would do while on the go -- at this point, I was seriously contemplating the Galaxy Nexus. However, having watched dozens of videos and tutorials on more recent iterations of WP7, it seemed like the operating system was finally ready to play on par with the big boys, and I reconsidered.

Well, I was wrong. It's better than the heavy hitters. Tasks that would take me 3-4 steps on an Android I can now do in 1-2, and that might not seem like much, but when you want to pull your phone out, get something done, and move on with life, it's huge. Living with the 900 for a month now, I've come to expect that level of delivery from smartphones. Recently, when a friend of mine asked for help on her Android, I was both surprised and disappointed by the flow-feeling interface, and unnecessary keystrokes.

It took me a little while familiarizing myself with the interface, I can't lie there -- but now, it's hard to imagine getting anything done without it. I'm not sure how I was living with my Nexus.

Here's some of what makes this device unique to me. And I use these features daily:

- Microsoft Office
- XboxLIVE integration (& companion app)
- Zune sync
- Bing! Music search (Like Shazam, but takes you straight to the marketplace)
- Native Facebook integration (good for quick checks)
- SkyDrive sync (There's something mind-boggling yet fascinating about pictures you take being uploaded to your cloud storage the moment they're taken. I love it.)

Of course, the 4G and head-turning looks certainly don't hurt, either.

All in all, the phone has exceeded my expectations. While I was interested in the WP7 OS because of its stunning looks and unique features, I was reluctant to take a leap of faith using it as my daily driver until I saw NOKIA's hardware.

Some will say NOKIA's best option was to become an Android OEM, but I disagree... The Lumia 900 is a beacon of hope -- the first step of a partnership that will make devices for the sole purpose of blowing our minds while getting crap done.

So, to all the non-believers out there: I know how you feel because I've been there. WP7 is a fledgling OS that has yet to prove itself, and on paper, sure...its hardware specs are NOT on par with the latest Android devices. But the Lumia 900 doesn't need it. It is optimized so it can finish jobs faster than a dual or quad-core android device, and throw in a sense of accomplishment for no extra charge.

Give it a chance. I did.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 27, 2012
My wife upgraded from iphone 3GS. She was tired of the phone. Stated it looked old and hard to text. Also the calling clarity was bad. Too many people told her it was hard to hear her.

My wife really likes this new phone. The only thing is she's mad she didn't get it in white. The main thing I noticed (I use a Atrix 2) is that the call quality is 100% better than her iphone. First time I called her it was like she was in the other room talking to me. I was impressed. The phone looks cool, works well. feels good too. I like how the tiles are active. Nokia Drive is comparable to Google Navigation except it lets you download the maps... which is a huge plus for people who don't have unlimited data plans.

The camera is decent. The app selection is small. The price was amazing. $49 plus $100 back from ATT. Can't beat ATT paying me $51 to upgrade to this phone. If I had an option to upgrade my Atrix 2 I would probably upgrade to this phone as well.

Overall my wife is very impressed with this phone... and I am a tad envious.
on April 9, 2012
I've had my Nokia Lumia 900 for two days now, and I have to say the experience just gets better and better. Nokia does design right, the phone just feels solid, and comfortable in my hand. The buttons are spot on where they need to be, No more accidental camera shots or anything else.

This is also an incredibly fast phone. There's a reason Microsoft has that "Smoked by Windows Phone" contest...this phone can easily beat any Droid or iPhone.

Buy it. It will be the best phone you've ever owned.
on April 18, 2012
I have been an iPhone customer since February 2009 beginning with the 3G and ending with the 4. It was time for an upgrade on my plan and I debated between the Lumia 900 and Galaxy S2. I must say the reviews of the Lumia sealed the deal for me. The look and feel of the phone is pleasantly surprising. I had alot of predjucices thinking there would be lag when opening apps or moving around the phone. I thought it would be cumbersome to type on the phone as I had developed a 6th sense for the iPhone. However, all of the preconceived notions where laid to rest when I put my hands on the phone. It is extremely responsive and typing text messages is extremely smooth. I was most impressed by the fact that this phone felt very "complete." My complaint with the iPhone now is that it was focused to heavily on apps only. Everything revolved around an app. The Lumia with Windows Phone feels like a complete computer so to speak. You click on one tile and it opens as if you were opening a program on a PC. Within that tile you have so many options to access so many other things. It doesn't have that micromanaged feel of there being an app for every single thing you want or need. Some reviews complained that is has a single core processor. As I said earlier, the phone has no noticeable lag that would be associated with a single core. Everything opens quickly and never have I experienced a hang. The built in speaker is almost too loud and that is a compliment, since it shows its ability. I cranked it up to 30 and it was actually so loud it was annoying. I do agree only partially with other reviewers about the camera. Outside pictures come out beautifully and taking photos is literally a snap. I also saw no delay between pushing the button and capturing the photo. I took a picture of my Sheltie in total darkness and the picture came out awesome, surprisingly I know. However the weird part came when I took a picture setting in my car. It wasn't completely dark or light and the pictures continuously came out blurry. It is like there isn't a good in between. The flash in total darkness turns photos out great and the natural sun light of being outside turns pictures out great but artificial light atleast for my photos didn't agree with the phone. There is one other minor quirk that can be turned off but too me is over used and that is the vibration. Everytime I do anything on the phone it does a short vibration, not a big deal but perhaps it could be tweaked for only important times rather than everytime. The interface is absolutely beautiful. You don't simply have screens full of jumbled apps. Phone calls are clear as a bell and cell reception is what it should be for my area. One other minor complaint would be the "People" tile. My contacts in my phone are merged with all of my friends on Facebook and I have yet to find a way to separate them. Perhaps there is a way, I just don't know yet. I don't associate with the people on my Facebook friends list as much as I do the people in my phones contact list so it is only a minor annoyance. I am definetely sold on Windows Phone and Nokia and highly recommend this to iOS and Android. Current promotion on this phone is a steal anyway. Hopefully Microsoft doesn't abandon us early adopters come October when Windows 8 is released. Would be awesome to update from 7.5 to 8 at that time.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2012
I was not sure about moving away from my iPhone 4s (yes that is what I said!), other then a few missing apps out of the 30 or so I use, this phone has been refreshing to use and hold. I am on the road 3+ days per week and from a social aspect this phone makes my old phone (iPhone 4S) seem archaic. once you give it your Live/hotmail, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Exchange (if you have it) accounts it does something no other phone will do. it integrates all of them into a common people hub and fills in all the missing pieces. After I discovered GROUPS and pinned one for each of my Family, Work, Friends to my screen I never seem to go back to facebook, or other social tools and I can update everyone everywhere on my my travels with ease.

another feature I noticed early is the Voice navigation! yes no expensive app needed, just use the built in BING maps or the free Nokia Drive application with downloadable maps so you dont need to use your data plan.

there are so many things to describe and I am sure I will run out of space! I guess I would say you need to explore the phone for the little things that make like easier. the BING Music finder, Text converter, QR/Code scanner all build into the phone. or silly things like clicking on a picture you took and seeing a list of apps that you have that can manipulate this item.

oh a great feature for me was this. SKYDRIVE!! so it seems Microsoft gives everyone 25G of free storage in the cloud (think Internet), this is part of your Live account (Live.com, hotmail.com, etc) once you setup your Live account on the phone and tell it to use it to store your pictures and stuff you will never loose anything again! photos you take are backed up automatically.

LTE = amazing speed! ok so 3G was good, 4G is really a bit faster then 3G (it is really 3.5 or HSPA+) and LTE is faster then my DSL at home! yes I speed test anywhere from 8Mbps to 22Mbps (Dallas, Houston) keep in mind that not ALL CITIES are LTE. the top 50 cities or the top 100 cities are LTE. the rest will be 4G. also note that my now "crappy" iPhone 4S is only 4G (remember really only a bit faster then my old 3GS iPhone)

PS: my 13yo son who has an iPhone 4 wants to trade it and get a phone like mine :-)
on April 12, 2012
The thing I notice most with the Nokia, Lumia is that when I walk the dog through the forests near where I live there is no loss of signal. With my iPhone 4 I would often lose connectivity and had always assumed it was because I was away from the city, not the case. Also in the house, I always had to wave the iPhone around to keep wifi connectivity, with the Lumia the signal is strong all the time. Also the quality of the calls is very high, I can hear people clearly and vice versa which was not always the case before. Overall as a phone I find the user experience far superior with the Lumia (I think we sometimes forget with video, pictures & games that these things are primarly phones) The screen I think is very high quality, the resolution might not have numbers with lots of zeros but everyone who sees the phone absolutely loves the display, the blacks are SO black that everything looks clear & clean. The phone is also quick and easy to switch on & off, something that always seemed to take ages with the iPhone. Doing this each night I find the battery life is really quite good. There are enough Apps for me, the Maps are good, the free storage is great to keep things safe, the camera is customisable, zoomable (as is the video)and I could not live now without a Back button. Overall a great looking phone that works well and is easy to use. It's not without some small things that could be improved but then Apple iOS is now version 5.* So Windows 8 (The 3rd OS from MS I think > 7, 7.5, 8) might be the one to make this phone absolutely perfect instead of just perfect.
on April 11, 2012
I pre ordered this phone and received it on April 6. My wife liked it so much that I got her one yesterday. This is an easy to use smart phone. I read all the negative reviews. Looking for problems before I ordered it and the camera didn't do well. However, when I got the phone, I adjusted the ASA to 100 and it made a big difference. I think the default setting is too high, probably at 400. Also, I read about a pink circle shooting a white surface indoors. I adjusted the white balance to fluorescent for indoor shots with fluorescent lights and that seems to solve the indoor problem. I changed the white balance back to auto for outside, but have left the ASA on 100 for all pictures.
I also downloaded Nokia maps for the USA, so I could save on my data package.
This phone is very quick. The single core processor is fast, and the screen is beautiful.
Con: I haven't yet figured out how to sync my 2007 Windows Outlook to the phones calendar. I may have to contact Microsoft for help.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...