on April 19, 2012
All I can say is this is truly the only phone that has covered all its bases in terms of having close to no shortfalls. It's easy to fall to cliche and say that it is better than the iPhone, but it TRULY is better than the iPhone in my opinion. Despite being a locked AT&T phone, there is extreme elasticity in terms of being able to personalize the device. From endless free apps, to absolutely seamless xbox live/facebook/twitter/email integration, this phone has surpassed all expectations. To boot, the phone was $50!(And before the 21st of April there is a rebate for $50 to $100 on top of that!

The hardware is absolutely magnificent, feeling like the $500 phone that it really is(unlocked) and feeling like the supreme quality that has become associated with Nokia over the years.

Furthermore, there are things like Nokia maps, Nokia drive, and Nokia transit that will give you voice directions on how to get places by car, public transportation or just plain maps(FREE).

The voice recognition software is by far the best that I have ever used in my experiences. Not only did it understand me, but it understood my heavily-accented dad's accent! You can even send a message by only having to press one button. With it, you can also search the internet, call a contact, open an app, etc. -Far better speech recognition than Siri-
The three dedicated buttons are absolutely fantastic and crucial. One takes you back one screen, one takes you to the home screen, and one takes you straight to searching for whatever you want!

The speed of this phone is insane, particularly with the 4G LTE feature which truly is faster. Between screens, opening apps, etc.l, this phone is enormously fast.

Overall, the integration that this phone has, between apps and websites truly pushes far above any phone on the market today!

I LOVE MY PHONE!
on May 24, 2012
Prior blackberry user. Tried the Apple and Android offerings. I'm not a fan of being locked into the "Apple world", so the iphone is not an option despite decent hardware and software. Every Android phone I've used has been glitchy. The Nokia Lumia 900 windows phone combines the reliabity and utility of blackberry and the fun of Apple in one amazing package. This phone is powerful, simple, and just works.
on May 20, 2012
The GPS system on lumia 900 is the best, and way better than those available on IOS.
Love this since the first day I purchased.
The only downside is it's a bit hard to get a car mount which can holds this device. Hope Nokia can make more accessories and have them available in the States soon.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 1, 2012
When you first see this phone in person you'll be stunned by it's beauty! Not only is the phone beautiful but so is the OS.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For starters, I've been with Windows Phone since shortly after its release; it was a natural progression from the oft-mocked but secretly delightful Zune platform (RIP). It has been a journey not without its bumps. Windows Phone has had to claw its way into the smartphone market, and its continued existence is due purely to Microsoft's doggedness. It's not as if WP has nothing new to offer. It's a simple market fact that people tend to be happy with only two to three options in any category, especially in the technology marketplace. Witness the longtime twosome of Windows vs. Mac operating systems, with Linux running a distant third. There are plenty of other examples.

Windows Phone has finally wrestled its way into the scuffle, though, and it's a very good thing. It offers an extremely stable operating environment, surprisingly good performance even on mid-grade hardware which would choke an Android phone, integration into the fuller Microsoft user experience, such as Xbox Live, Office, and Zune Pass ($10 a month for unlimited streaming and downloading music, cheap enough to never feel the urge to pirate), and a user interface that is just fun and beautiful, and oh-so refreshing when compared to Apple and Android UIs.

And now, This great phone OS (operating system) finally (it cannot be stressed enough, FINALLY!) has a great piece of hardware to run on, something which expresses the same aesthetic and value system that the OS does. The phone is, first off, a terrific piece of engineering, a beautiful, industrial block with rounded sides which make it a joy to hold and use, with a stunning OLED screen which is easy to see even in bright daylight. Every aspect of the hardware is as good as you'd expect classic Nokia to put out. The phone's slimness and light weight, combined with the grippy matte finish, makes it as effortless in the physical space as the WP platform makes controlling and navigating the phone.

I mentioned the bumpy road to WP excellence; primarily it has been the lack of very good hardware. Previously I've been using an LG Quantum, a well-made phone but one which understood nothing, so to speak, of the Windows Phone way. None of the 1st-generation phones on offer for WP met its needs for a champion, and so far I believe Nokia is the only one to understand the OS, which is fine considering Nokia has pledged its whole cause to Microsoft. Together, they're performing an almost phoenix-like rise from the ashes, though it remains to be seen how far upwards they will be able to go. At this point in time, however, they have the perfect phone and OS for me.

There are some rocks remaining in the road: apps still haven't met the availability of Android and iPhone. This is mostly the fault of app developers, but it is actually a complex issue. Accelerating the development of WP apps takes Microsoft's evangelizing, user adoption, market acceptance, and plain old time. That is why people looking for Draw Something won't be able to find it (yet) on WP, and if your life revolves around installing cutting-edge, popular apps as soon as they've entered the public consciousness, you might be disappointed, for awhile. But WP doesn't get enough credit for what it does have, the aforementioned Microsoft product integration, which will only improve with the release of Windows 8, which takes numerous design principles straight from Windows Phone, and wants to augment the phone experience in some interesting ways.

In summation, I'd consider this to be the emergence of the first Windows Phone champion, the "iPhone" of Windows Phones. In fact, Nokia may well become the only WP manufacturer that really takes the limelight, and that's perfectly okay with me, while other companies will still offer another take on the WP for those who don't find Nokia's offerings to suit their needs. Essentially, we might see WP embrace the best of both iPhone and Android, with the seamless user experience of the former combined with the choice of the latter. Such can only be a good thing, and positions them to be a worthy "third" in a battle that has, until now, been a two-player game.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 20, 2012
I was intrigued by the Lumia 900, but was planning on holding off to see the next model later in the year. But after seeing the price (especially after the $100 credit), I just couldn't pass it up.

This phone is stunning. It looks great, with a sleek design and the colors really pop. The clearblack screen actually does what it promises, as the colors look just as great in direct sunlight.

But more importantly is how great this phone feels. I feel like when I got my first cell phone so many years ago, I just can't put the phone down. I was worried the 4.3 inch screen would be bulky, but after about 5 minutes, it felt like this is the size cell phones should've always been.

Everything about this phone is top notch - great call quality, extremely fast and responsive OS, great battery life, and the beautiful build of the phone itself. Really impressed with the Nokia apps (particularly Nokia Drive, Creative Suite, Nokia Transit) in the marketplace as well.

Love it.
on April 17, 2012
Nokia and Windows Phone are the perfect match. The user interface is intuitive, efficient and getting better all the time. The phone has a fantastic camera, screen and overall feel, the best I have ever used. I would recommend it wholeheartedly to everyone in the market for a smartphone. And it is only $50! Comparing it to the $200 phones that shall not be named here, it is a steal.
on April 12, 2012
Okay so I had a Samsung focus that I cracked the screen on over 5 months ago and had the chance to upgrade during christmas to the focus S. I saw the lumia 800 and fell in love. I figured I would wait to see if the 800 was to come to the USA. Once the 900 was announced, nothing was going to make me change my mind otherwisw, I was going to wait.

Well I'm glad I did cause this phone is so dang nice and beyond a head turner. The screen is so large and much more vibrant the the focus I had. The speed is fast and does not lag out at all. Why get a quad core when you don't need it in my opinion, it's not a pc. The camera has some great features and is premium in the field of point and shoot for everyday use. I know the Titan 2 has 16mp but if I need to go that high then I might as well get a professional camera.

In the way of apps I know the selection is lower then apple and android but the os has only been out a year and a half. Everything takes time and all the apps I need are there. I mean, I have 50+ apps on my ipod and only use maybe 15 consistantly. All of which I have on my phone.

The only real complaint I had was that my data was not working out of the box. It is a software issue that att and nokia are aware of and is being fixed with an update on Monday (16th). Furthermore, nokia is giving everyone who got the phone before the 22nd a $100 credit to their bill for the issue. So the phone is free!!! So yeah, well worth it.
on April 10, 2012
Picked mine up yesterday for $100. Went to a Microsoft Store as I wanted to keep my current data plan. That said, Amazon has some sweet deals for those signing up for new plans.

The screen is gorgeous, and the speed is a huge bump-up over generation-one Windows Phones. I live in Washington DC, where AT&T's LTE network is respectable, and I've never gotten faster mobile internet.

Tough to argue with getting Nokia Drive, a free voice-enabled GPS :)
on April 10, 2012
Big and bright screen even in direct sunlight. Windows Phone OS is refreshing and smooth. Live tile notification is very accurate and time saver. IE browser is very fast on 4G LTE and the renders the webpages very nicely. I have a SharePoint site and work and I have smooth integration with the SharePoint site and I can now update my documents (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and OneNote) from my phone and publish it back to the SharePoint with a click. SkyDrive automatically backs up all my documents and photos onto the cloud so I don't have to worry about my photos and personal stuff if I lose my phone. I just found out that you can go to the windows phone site ([...]) and login to find, ring, lock or erase your personal data on the phone. That's so cool! Xbox integration with Xbox companion app is icing on the cake.
Lumia 900 camera pictures are great especially outside and lowlight pictures. Even though the screen is huge it feels nice and comfortable holding it on in the pocket. Nokia has done an excellent job with the overall phone look and feel.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations