YED MagazinestoInspire Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shop for your business Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You Valentines Day STEM Shop Popular Services JustAddMagic JustAddMagic JustAddMagic  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Format: Audible Audio Edition|Change
Price:$0.95

Showing 1-10 of 1,567 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,150 reviews
on July 25, 2005
When I tried reading this book as a child many, many years ago, some of the "big" words and allusions made it hard going, and I never completed it then. Finally, about fifteen years ago I did read it through, but still was missing something. Then, a few weeks ago, I got this edition, after having enjoyed the Penguin edition of "The War of the Worlds" with its annotations and map. Well, the annotations in this edition (about four pages worth as endnotes) of "The Time Machine" cleared away whatever fuzz remained, and I was completely overcome by the greatness of the book, great from whatever way I looked at it: plot, speculation, characters, "sense of wonder", even throw away humor were all topnotch. I couldn't believe what I'd been missing. A few days later, I read another editon of the book that didn't have notes, and had no trouble following that version. I plan to reread the book again shortly. So if you've had difficulty reading "The Time Machine" for some of the reasons mentioned above, get this version pronto and find out what a true classic is.
55 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2012
I am so glad that I am going back and re-reading H.G. Wells. I enjoyed reading him in high school, but, no offense to my younger self, I only appreciated Wells on one level. Just like I was blown away by my re-read of "The Island of Dr. Moreau," this book was just as stunning, although not as deeply disturbing. If you have not read Moreau, stop reading this review and go read it. We'll talk when you get back.

In Moreau, Wells explores the nature of man, his place in the scheme of things, as well as man's supposed moral nature set against the amorality of science. Clearly an example of Einstein's famous fear that "our technology has surpassed our humanity." Equally disturbing is the idea that the concept and identity of God clearly is a function of your own personal point of reference and a position ready to be filled by whomever has the power to take it.

In The Time Machine, Wells tackles society, economic realities, and evolution and presents a plausible and terrifying scenario. On one level we have a great sci-fi adventure about the evil and monstrous Moorlocks and the sheep-like but sympathetic Eloi. That is what I read as a kid. However on my re-read I was fascinated when I learned who these races represent and I really can't argue with his theories. I don't want to give anything away, because I HATE spoilers, but I will say that this novel is a social commentary on a level with anything written by Dickens and although I always enjoyed Wells as a masterful and creative story-teller, I now recognize Wells as a great thinker as well. I bought the Delphi edition of his complete works because I want to read everything the man wrote and spend some time with his work.

Then, as a sort of ad-on set piece at the end, Wells' scientist sets his time machine's dial to the distant future to observe, first hand, the end of the world. So logical that a scientist would do this, it fits perfectly into the story and shows how great a storyteller Wells was. However, this scene goes way beyond mere story-telling. I read this section several times. We have read this type of scene before but I will argue that it has never been done anywhere nearly as well as this. Chilling, creepy, unnerving, dark beyond description----absolutely brilliant. This set of scenes put this book onto my all time favorite shelf.
on December 18, 2013
Our class read this novel together and thoroughly enjoyed it. HG Wells provides a futuristic warning for current generations reminding them to keep thinking and using their brains.
on September 6, 2012
During my summer vacation I was looking for something original to read. When I started to read the book I wasn't sure I was going to read it all, but figured sometimes it takes a while to prepare the setting of the story, am I happy I continued reading the book, by the first 1/4 of the book I couldn't stop reading and finished it the same day. I recommend reading the book, it transports you into another world for a few hours :)
on March 3, 2011
I found this book somewhat awkward to read. The story was easy enough to follow, but it was written from the perspective of one man writing down the speech of another. 90% of the book is one run-on speech so every paragraph opens with a quotation. Combined with the god-awful formatting of this Kindle edition, it made this feel very awkward. Beyond this, I found the beginning and the ending of the book to be rather compelling (the middle drags). This is especially effective when you know much of the ending at the beginning, and we as the reader are left to guess as to how they get to that point. Because of the poor formatting, I am glad this came to me at no price.
on January 12, 2014
Fascinating and awesome. The story really grabbed me and took me along. I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed the language used and style of writing. Additionally I thought that the book was longer but still highly recommend.
on September 26, 2014
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells is a timeless treasure.

I first read the book over thirty years ago and re-visited it this summer along with several other classics. It is great science fiction at its best.

On the surface, the story reveals much about the evil Moorlocks and harmless Eloi. But deeper, the book is filled with social commentary as well as evolutionary theories. The journey in the Time Machine into the future where the world ends is one of the most disturbing, yet brilliant, parts of the book.

Although the language used is from the last century, it was an easy read and one that will take you on a journey through time and evolution.

This is definitely a classic that I will keep on the shelf to read again.
on December 22, 2016
The Time Machine

by H.G. Wells

Rating: **** (4 stars)
Book Length: 128 pages
Genre: Science Fiction, Classic

H.G. Wells is a classic science fiction writer. His works are well known and have been transcribed into any sort of framework imaginable. Yet, nothing compares to the original work.

Wells' works are short and to the point. In The Time Machine we meet a man who builds a time machine and goes into the future where there are two versions of humans.

On one hand there is the meek and pampered Eloi who are fair and childlike. Below ground there is the ugly and aggressive Morlocks who's use the Eloi as substance.

The writing is a short and interesting story. However, beyond the tale it is a story exploring the upper class and labor class. The Eloi are the upper class who depend on the Morlocks for their basic necessities. They forget to how to take care of themselves yet they maintain some semblance of culture. They congregate together and have a simple language. The Morlocks are the labors. The language of the Morlocks has been reduced to grunts and screeching. Yet they have kept some of the intellect by maintaining the machinery and continuing to provide for the needs of the Eloi.

It is an interesting tale of classism. I wonder what Wells was truly trying to say. In the end neither class ruled the other. Both were dependent on each other for their existence. This codependency resulted in the downfall of both aspects of society.

As reviewed on The Book Recluse Review
on October 1, 2015
The Time Machine is a classic. YES, I have seen the movie edition many years ago. But the actual book!! The author's own words!! Nothing to compare. Exciting from the beginning with ,"What is going on here?" to anticipating some action yet not knowing what it would be!! And yes, there was sitting on the edge of the chair and some nail biting. And the imagination of, "YES, I can imagine that this is where the world will develop." And the the description of the END of the world as any of us know it. AND THEN there was the suspension of reality in that everything around the stationary time machine was changed throughout time and destroyed, but not the time machine itself?? OK, that was perhaps the most UNreal part of the story. But I would certainly recommend the book for the youngest readers to old ones who may have "heard" of the book but not actually experience it.
on January 12, 2014
I enjoyed reading this book, couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. Appropriate for all ages, approximately 12 and up.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.