Most helpful positive review
180 of 194 people found the following review helpful
stop whining about locked bootloaders!
on May 13, 2012
I'm tech savvy, but I am also aware that 99% of the users will never bother boot loading their phones, and it's not fair to see the complaints of the remaining 1% occupying 50% of the reviews here, making this excellent phone seem utterly worthless.
Now, for the remaining 99%:
I like new phones, and I've recently moved from a iPhone 4 to Galaxy SII, now to this HTC One X.
First of all, the screen is gorgeous. I loved the Retina Display on the iPhone, and although the Galaxy SII has a vivid OLED display, the resolution is significantly lower, and is further worsened by the larger screen. After getting used to the iPhone 4, I simply can no longer stand pixelation when reading! Another thing about the Samsung OLED is that the color looks a lot more saturated than normal. Therefore the pictures simply look inaccurate - a "normal" looking picture on the phone looks washed out on the computer, and a color-balanced picture on the computer simply looks too saturated on the phone. The HTC One X has a color-accurate IPS screen (so does the iPhone 4), but at the whopping 1280x720 resolution (compared to 960x640 on the iPhone). I simply cannot see how anyone will claim this screen is worse than the iPhone's. HD video simply looks amazing on it.
Did I mention HD video? Youtube HD looks great, but the phone does get a bit hot, and drains quite some battery when doing so. The screen is bright enough for usage under sunlight, but does drain more battery. The screen itself can account for >50% of power consumption. Without watching video, I can get a full day of normal usage with about 30% battery left at the end of the day. But if you are one of those who isn't always on your phone, 10 hours of stand-by drains the battery by only 10% (no kidding! I tried that today).
Another point people love to whine about is its lack of a quad-core processor, available in its Asia market. The fact is, this dual-core is more than sufficient, and I would take a power-efficient dual-core LTE processor anyday, over a power-hogging quad-core without LTE, and without a significant performance improvement. Trust me, you do not need quad core, but you WILL wish you can get 25 Mbps of download speed. Living in Los Angeles, I've been consistently getting LTE in most places. Download speed varies from 25+ Mbps (5 bars) to 8 Mbps (3 bars).
I regretted giving up the iPhone right after I got my Galaxy SII, but the One X has made me a believer in Android. Thank you HTC!