ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on May 13, 2012
I'm tech savvy, but I am also aware that 99% of the users will never bother boot loading their phones, and it's not fair to see the complaints of the remaining 1% occupying 50% of the reviews here, making this excellent phone seem utterly worthless.

Now, for the remaining 99%:

I like new phones, and I've recently moved from a iPhone 4 to Galaxy SII, now to this HTC One X.

First of all, the screen is gorgeous. I loved the Retina Display on the iPhone, and although the Galaxy SII has a vivid OLED display, the resolution is significantly lower, and is further worsened by the larger screen. After getting used to the iPhone 4, I simply can no longer stand pixelation when reading! Another thing about the Samsung OLED is that the color looks a lot more saturated than normal. Therefore the pictures simply look inaccurate - a "normal" looking picture on the phone looks washed out on the computer, and a color-balanced picture on the computer simply looks too saturated on the phone. The HTC One X has a color-accurate IPS screen (so does the iPhone 4), but at the whopping 1280x720 resolution (compared to 960x640 on the iPhone). I simply cannot see how anyone will claim this screen is worse than the iPhone's. HD video simply looks amazing on it.

Did I mention HD video? Youtube HD looks great, but the phone does get a bit hot, and drains quite some battery when doing so. The screen is bright enough for usage under sunlight, but does drain more battery. The screen itself can account for >50% of power consumption. Without watching video, I can get a full day of normal usage with about 30% battery left at the end of the day. But if you are one of those who isn't always on your phone, 10 hours of stand-by drains the battery by only 10% (no kidding! I tried that today).

Another point people love to whine about is its lack of a quad-core processor, available in its Asia market. The fact is, this dual-core is more than sufficient, and I would take a power-efficient dual-core LTE processor anyday, over a power-hogging quad-core without LTE, and without a significant performance improvement. Trust me, you do not need quad core, but you WILL wish you can get 25 Mbps of download speed. Living in Los Angeles, I've been consistently getting LTE in most places. Download speed varies from 25+ Mbps (5 bars) to 8 Mbps (3 bars).

I regretted giving up the iPhone right after I got my Galaxy SII, but the One X has made me a believer in Android. Thank you HTC!
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2012
The phone was only released yesterday for AT&T, so this review will only encompass what I've experienced in the short amount of time I've owned it. That being said, I'm confident this is the best Android phone currently available for AT&T. The phone looks incredibly sleek thanks to its unibody form; the negative aspect of that is the lack of a removable battery. Luckily it seems the battery life is pretty good, and most tech review websites have confirmed that. The 4.7 inch display is incredible, and IMO the perfect size for a smartphone screen. I'm blown away by how snappy this device is; the dual core processor combined with Ice Cream Sandwich make everything about this phone silky smooth. HTC Sense 4.0 definitely takes away from the stock Android experience, which I'm sure will not sit well with the "purists" out there. However it is still a decent skin, and very user friendly. Those who are not too tech savvy will definitely appreciate it's intuitiveness. Finally, the LTE is ridiculously fast. My previous phone was a "4G" (HSPA+) phone, but LTE simply leaves that technology in the dust.

- Sleek design and lightweight
- Very snappy, virtually no lag or slowdown
- Well above average camera for a smartphone
- Blazing LTE speeds
- Beautiful HD display
- Intuitive for Android novices
- Impressive battery life (will follow up with this since this is really just a first impression)

- No removable battery
- No micro-SD slot (only 16 gigs of storage on the phone; not a huge deal for me since I utilize cloud services for the most part)
- HTC Sense 4.0; Only really a con for fans of stock Ice Cream Sandwich experience

**UPDATED ON 5/8/12**

I previously gave the phone 4 stars for lack of storage capacity and non-removable battery, but I'm changing the score to a 5 star for various reasons. Firstly, I found out yesterday that when you use Dropbox on this phone, you are automatically upgraded to an extra 25 gigs of storage for 2 years. Awesome. Since cloud storage is the way to go (IMO), this completely makes up for the missing SD port. Secondly, the battery life is incredibly good thus far. I've been using my phone non stop the past two days and by the time I went to bed last night it was still at 25% battery; I couldn't believe it still had that much juice left. I wish they would have included a number to represent how much battery % is left, but there are plenty of apps/widgets that will do this for you. Thirdly, because I'm a bit annoyed with several other "reviewers" who are giving this 1 star for ridiculous reasons (because this AT&T variant isn't available on Verizon, you're giving it a 1 star? Really dude???). This is flat out the best phone available for AT&T, and probably the best phone available on the market right now. I strongly recommend this phone to anyone looking for an upgrade, especially if you are in an LTE enabled area.

**UPDATED ON 5/29/12**

It's been 3 weeks since my last update and I still have nothing but praise for this phone. It flat out rocks. I've had lots of time to utilize the camera, and it's simply amazing. In fact, the camera on this phone is FAR better than my point and shoot digital camera, which sadly is now obsolete. Pictures are taken almost instantaneously when you hit the button, and the quality is incredible. If you hold down the picture button, it will snap upwards of six pictures in the matter of seconds. There have been a few complaints about the multitasking on this phone, and I would tend to agree it is a bit sub-par. Occasionally I will open my Chrome browser to read a webpage, open a newly received email, and then immediately switch right back to Chrome only to have it reload the entire page. Again, this only happens occasionally, but I do recognize the issue. However I'm confident HTC will come up with a software release in the near future that will correct the issue; us early adopters should expect things like this to pop up. Multitasking aside, it appears the locked bootloader issue has been resolved with no thanks to AT&T. Battery life is still consistently good, even with LTE enabled. Standby battery life is outstanding. Overall I'm still very impressed with this phone, I can't recommend it enough.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2012
After waiting to get what I thought was a good Android Ice Cream Sandwich phone, thinking it would be a Samsung, I found the HTC One X. It's the total package of quality, WOW factor, and fun. I moved from my iPhone 3G with iOS 5 to this, and I think I've got the better product, and that includes my wife's iPhone 4S.

Very high quality build/feel/look.
Big, beautiful screen.
Interface, once learned, is very useable and configurable.
Easily transferred all old contacts/calendars from iPhone/Google.
Great camera with many features.
Decent battery life (lasts all day with heavy use).
Very fast. (forget the quad core hangup, the Snapdragon processor, well... snaps)
LTE capable. (soon in Seattle)
All the apps I used for iPhone I have been able to get for my One X, except for a bridge scorepad app.
Love the Dropbox feature for cloud storage. The laments about the memory aren't a factor for me at all. There's plenty for me, and the cloud storage is a plus.
If you want an unlocked bootloader, then buy another phone, dummy. Who cares?
Fun to use, and makes you smile when you do use it. It impresses your friends too.
Lightweight, easy to hold and use.
I like AT&T. They've been great at support, courtesy, and service.
Love the wi-fi hot spot capability.
Speech recognition: after using the almost ubiquitous speech recognition for my HTC One X, I can report that it works exceedingly well. Instead of trying to type notes, I dictate them. It's incredibly fast and accurate. My iPhone friends are amazed.
Face recognition to unlock the phone is very slick. I use it all the time.

Learning curve. Have to get used to this device after iPhone, but once the different interface is learned, it's great. All it takes is trying out the settings and features and reading the supplied literature. It takes a day or two.
Ear buds not provided for audio jack. I also understand that the premier audio phones that can be bought for a lot of money don't use the provided switch on the phones for on/off/increase/decease volume; only pause works. Not confirmed by me however.
Dropbox makes you jump through a few hoops to get the extra 23GB of space, but once done, it's great, and easy to add more for free.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2012
Listen, if you read other reviews talking about things other that the phone, read this. So the bootloader isn't unlocked, that isn't a problem with the PHONE, its with the CARRIER. Now that carrier is out there, that is in no way any reason to rate the PHONE poorly. This isn't a review for ATT; I agree, I would also rate ATT 1 star. But the phone is freaking amazing. I hate when people give bad reviews, making the item look bad, when in reality they reviewed something besides the phone.
:End rant
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 17, 2012
Been using smartphones for last six years including blackberry, windows, and tons of iphones. But this is my first Android phone. Finally decide to try something new to replace my iphone4. Ice Cream Sandwich has a huge improvement from the last time research android phones three years ago. So far this phone is doing everything very well compare to my old phone.

Android has the Google Play store where you get apps, music, movies, etc. I tried out all built-in apps and they all work well except a few I didn't like. The HTC keyboard app is too crowd with options. Download the ICS keyboard. I didn't like the built-in web browser that much. Download the Chrome Beta. Chrome will be the default web browser on the next major Android update. The Chrome browser works just like the iphone one. All pinch-zone, double tap, and other gesture work. I set up the built-in mail apps, gmail, and yahoo to sync with my work Exchange mail and personal accounts. Only complaint is it doesn't have pinch to zoom on the email app for whatever reason. Not a big deal.
Calendar and contacts sync up up fine. All other apps Clocks, Alarms, Youtube, Google Maps, Music/Video player, Gallery, and Camera work very well.

The phone performs very fast. I played some HD 720 videos and it was fast and beautiful. Internet LTE speed is super fast like 30mbps per second. BTW, amazon only offer the 3 GB 30 dollar plan. I had no issues calling ATT after activation to swap it out and put the 15 dollars 200 MB LTE dataplan to save money. I have wifi at home and work.

The operating system is very easy to learn. You should feel right at home after a few hours. Also, search google if you want to learn how to do something. Android is very customizable.

Battery seems decent; With moderate usage in the morning, lunch time, and during my work breaks, I can get a full days use fine. As with most smartphones you usually have to charge it at least every day or other day.

I was certain that the phone would be too big in my hands. But that's not the case. My hands have gotten use to it and I can do most things with one hand if I wanted too. The back of the phone has a smooth curve surface with makes holding it very comfortable. Also, the phone is actually lighter than my old iphone4. Phone fits int he my front pocket fine. I don't use the case. On youtube people done scratch test. There were zero scratch on the screen and back of phone. So no cases is needed.

Charging phone with a/c wall adapter takes 2.75 hrs from 5% to 100%. That same charge on usb cable laptop charging takes 5.5 hours. just an FYI. This is normal cause the a/c outputs twice the amount of amps.

I haven't had any issues with the phone. My wifi works fine. Phone has not crash or locked up. Also, I have my phone encryption and didn't notice any slowdowns.

The three major phones Android, iPhone, and Windows phone now have polished their phone very well. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them. It ultimately comes down to if you want to do business with Google, Apple, or Microsoft. Personally, I don't really buy paid apps or media so I have no attachments to any of them. Since I been using iphones since 2007 the new Android phone is definitely a fun new experience so far. Thanks for reading. See ya in 18 months when I get my next phone upgrade.
on May 14, 2012
I read the reviews before writing my own and I think that they might be misleading. Especially if you care a lot about the stars. This is a great phone without a doubt. I will try to give the best review and not overrate it or "hate" on it like in most reviews. I truly believe that this phone deserves a 9/10 or 4.5 stars.

The phone looks amazing and the design will definitely surprise you. The 4.7inch display is beautiful and I really love just looking at it. The build quality is superb and it isn't to large for my "man" hands. For smaller hands you might want to check it out and hold it at a store before buying it because it is a little large. When it comes to performance, I have nothing to complain about. Nothing has crashed on me and honestly the speed of this phone is lightening fast! I've seen consistent performance for the one week using the phone. The camera is great, not perfect and it has a lot of great features on the camera. Keyboard on the phone is mediocre , you could even say bad. I just downloaded an alternate keyboard, so not a big issue. Most importantly, call quality and reception have been flawless so far. However the earpiece could be a tad louder. Overall, I enjoyed the experience.

The many concerns people have are the battery life, memory storage and the locked bootloader. I understand all the concerns and if they were fixed than the phone would be a 10/10 phone. Battery life has been great for me though and I can always get through a day with a full charge although it would have been nice to have the option for a removable battery. Memory... it does kinda suck. Wish the phone had more. For me, I would have used it to store music, but I just uploaded my whole library of music to Google Music and now I can listen to music ALMOST everywhere. Finally, the bootloader... it's locked. Oh well... nothing to cry about for me. If you need a phone with the bootloader unlocked don't buy this one.

Pros: Beautiful Screen, Great Build Quality & Design, LTE, Performance Speed, Android 4.0, Camera and Awesome features, Call Quality, Reception, 25GBs of Cloud Storage from Dropbox, Google Music (Cloud Storage), Beats Audio (you can choose to use it or not)
In the middle: (depends on you) HTC Sense 4 UI, Large body
Cons: Non removable battery, medium sized battery (good battery life though), No expandable memory (on top with the minimal internal memory), locked bootloader

This is AT&T's best Android phone. If you are on AT&T and you want android, this should be a no brainer. If you are deciding between different operating systems then this decision might not be as easy. Honestly, I think this is the best phone out there. Until, the SG3 or the iPhone 5 comes out to compete with it and even then it will be close. Also, you have to wait for those phones and probably a long time too. You can't go wrong with this phone. I'll be happy to be stuck with this phone for 2 years.
on June 22, 2012
See update below.

I had been trying to decide which to buy, coming out of a Blackberry either one is going to require a learning curve for me. The One X looks totally new and fresh, the S3 looks like the S2 with softer contours. The specs are pretty much even and while an SD card is convenient, I am used to using 8 GB, so since both have 16 GB, that is more than enough for my needs. Plus, the One X has 23 GB Dropbox storage free for two years, the S3 on ATT and Verizon won't. The One X has a sealed what? So does every iPhone and that hasn't stopped Apple from selling a gazillion of them.

That brings it down to UI, and from everything I have read (a LOT) it seems Sense 4 is much better than Touch Wiz, in fact, from my perspective, the only people who seem to prefer Touch Wiz over Sense are Samsung owners / fans. Also, I find it funny that professional reviewers who are supposed to be providing a fair comparison, and certainly private individuals, are actually pretty biased for one phone over the other. When discussing the specs, where it is close but the numbers favor the preferred phone, it gets the win, but when the other phone is a bit better, it is a tie. Also, there are some specs that are not measured in the same fashion, yet the the preferred phone wins again. Bragging rights being what they are, the better numbers mean size does matter to those who have nothing else going for them. Get out of your GT500 and hop into my 911, or my friend's Lotus, then tell me how your machine is superior because of the numbers.

From the view point of someone with smartphone experience, but not with Android, I really don't care about little differences in the specs. No one I know is going to care about numbers, we care about performance and results: ICS; dual core 1.5GHz with LTE / HSPA+ for fast browsing; battery power to get through 8+ hour work day; music and video access for down-time; computer sync; multiple live email accounts; reliability and durability; ease of use; a decent camera with useable cutting edge goodies. What we don't want is a lot of clutter; gimmicks (I work daily with seven people with iPhone 4S and not one of them have used Siri after the first two weeks of owning the phones) or having to put up with unnecessary crap to make the phone function as we want it to. ICS works the way it is, you really don't need to mess with it.

I have decided on the One X. I tried Sense 4 in the store and compared it to Touch Wiz on the S2 models... I know the new version is "lighter" but not by that much based on what I have read and understand from talking to users/experts. Also, as I am learning the use of the phone from square one, and never having used an Android before, the HTC seemed much more natural, intuitive (simpler?) than the Samsung. Not having any preconceived notions about which was better, to me HTC was the clear winner. I also think the look of the One X is very different from other phones out there, whereas any Samsung looks pretty much like every other Samsung built in the last two years - squared vs round corners not withstanding. And just so there is no doubt about my motives, initially, it was my intention to replace my BB with the Galaxy Note; then I read about the One X being developed, followed by the S3. I decided to wait for both devices and compare each to the other and to my needs, and to the Note. The Note fell away from the other two, the One X took a narrow lead but my options were still wide open. Then I saw the S3 and the One X was like Secretariat at Belmont, pulling away fast and I didn't plan on looking back.

Now, about build quality / durability; take a look at some of the drop tests on You Tube for both of these phones (and any other you may be considering) from waist height, shoulder height, from the roof of an accelerating car, even thrown into the air down a street! The Gorilla glass does eventually shatter, but the One X keeps on working as designed: the touch screen works, so does the browser and the phone function. The S3 was completely dead! The reason is that Samsung fused the screen to the glass, so when the glass breaks, so does the screen, not to mention having to pick up all of the pieces of the S3 to put it back together again. The One X, you know, has a solid polycarbonate shell that is very strong in its own right. This was the final deciding factor for me. Yes, I know there are protective cases that will solve this problem, but then I would be carrying around a thick, flat slab instead of a thin, sleek sculptured work of art (or in the case of the S3, a thin, flat slab of an electronic device).

The bottom line is a smartphone is a tool to be used in the real world, and it needs to be tough enough to survive, even if it is only used in a business or social environment. How many times have you seen someone's phone get knocked off a desk / counter top / bar / dining table and crash to the floor? The S3 is a great phone, absolutely, and on paper it may be the best thing out there... until the next best thing arrives next year, next month, next week. People with too much money wanting the latest and greatest will snap it up, as they will whatever comes out next to replace it. I want a phone that will function for as long as I want to use it, does what I need it to do, looks good and is dependable; and if I drop it, it will not only survive the fall, but will also keep working. The One X is the right answer for me, look over your needs and options carefully; it will likely be the correct answer for you, too.

I have owned the phone for one week now and I am still learning the ins and outs. Battery life is fantastic. Today I left with a full charge at 7:30, made two calls, sent texts to my kids for half an hour and read my emails, that's it. Now, 14 hours later it has 58% left. Yesterday I played games, read my emails, downloaded a couple of Apps, made calls and sent texts, and browsed my favorite web sites to see just how fast it worked (HSPA+ only - unbelievable - I can't wait to see LTE). After about the same 14 hours it showed 31% power remaining.

As for telephone function, no dropped calls, connections were good, strong and fast. I did learn a couple of interesting things about the call sound. The rear speaker works a lot like a Bose speaker in that it seems to be designed to reflect when laid face up. The sound quality / resonance depends quite a lot on the material it is resting upon; wood, glass, paper, even a desk pad will cause the sound to differ quite a bit. If you hold the phone in your hand and use the speaker function, it will sound dull / muffled depending on hand placement. The One X is actually designed to automatically switch to speakerphone mode when you put it face down during a call; the caller's voice comes through loud and clear.

Now the ear-piece speaker is another story. After first being disappointed with the sound quality / volume, I figured out that there is a sweet spot for the speaker. You have to line up the speaker holes with your ear canal. When you do the sound is loud and clear; when you miss, even by less than an inch, the caller's voice seems far away and quite. A little trial and error, along with some muscle memory exercise and problem solved. Maybe this is a problem for some, but think about it: how many times have you heard both sides of someone's phone conversation because their phone's ear piece sounded like a loud speaker? Figure that if you can barely hear your caller when the phone is next to your ear, the nosy person sitting next to you at the where-ever can't hear them at all. I see this as a plus for call privacy.

The truth of the matter is that the S3 may be the better phone in some respects, on paper and maybe in the real world, too. But to make a decision based solely on the spec numbers when they are so close that the only way to know which is better is by the smallest of incremental scientific measurement is the definition of Geekus Maximus. If we were talking about differences on a generational or even evolutionary scale, where such was obvious to any smartphone user's human senses, then the choice would be simple. Personally, I don't know anyone who walks around with their own electronic testing equipment to challenge others over who has the better device, nor would I want to know such a person.

At this level of performance, it is like deciding on the Ferrari or the Lamborghini; the only ones who quibble are the gear-heads who think their opinion is the only one that counts. The One X and the Galaxy S III are both fantastic phones that are cutting edge. Which one is better? Who cares? The title will only last until the next phone comes out. Don't believe me? What was the undisputed Android champ in April of this year? The One X. Now? Maybe not, maybe the S3 is, and we aren't even into July, and the S3 hasn't even been officially released yet! I guarantee by the end of the year there will be three or four new Androids to claim top honors. Statistics are what you make of them. Decide what is most important to you: name recognition; function; dependability; fashion; style; conformity; individuality; usage/needs; peer pressure; whatever it is, choose the phone that fills those needs best (notice I did not list specs). And don't worry, because if it is your choice, you cannot choose wrong. For me, I will recommend the One X to anyone that asks, and proudly show it off whenever the opportunity presents itself.

***07/10/12 UPDATE***

Still love the phone, still learning all of the tricks. I went to play with the SGS3, just to compare...there is no question in my mind I made the right choice. The feel of the phones alone makes a difference; sorry Samsung, the S3 just feels cheap. Even the AT&T sales people will tell you the S3 is simply a glitzier S2 with more bells and whistles, but aside from those changes and ICS, not a whole lot of difference. Also, as I stated above, specs not withstanding, functionally, we are talking about speeds measured quite literally by blinks of the eye. Again, nothing wrong with the S3, it is a great phone, but choose based on the whole package, not just a spec sheet.

On a slightly different topic, I just discovered AT&T dropped out of the free 23GB Dropbox upgrade. Not sure why, especially since this was a big selling point to explain why there was no SD expansion. Those who bought early got the 2-year free 23GB promotion, the rest of us got screwed. Not the fault of the phone or HTC, the blame rests on AT&T. Perhaps if enough customers complain they will reinstate the program.

Personally, I think there must be a huge conspiracy between AT&T, Apple and Samsung to sabotage HTC and the One X, because it really is a superior phone compared to what the other two manufactures are offering. Think about it, how many iPhones does Apple have active on AT&T, and how many Samsung phones does AT&T carry? Compare that to what HTC sells. Both of the other two manufactures have AT&T wrapped around their collective little fingers.

Why else would AT&T insist on HTC foregoing the SD expansion, and then bring over the 16GB version instead of the 32GB model? The HTC Evo 4G LTE on Sprint is essentially a One X WITH an SD slot (and a removable battery), so you know it could have easily been done. Then, Apple got the injunction to effectively halt the One X sales two weeks after its introduction; and now AT&T has killed the free Dropbox upgrade. Was this part of a deal with Samsung who was going to have to foot the bill for its own 50GB upgrade - also now dead? [Can you tell I'm just a bit pissed?]

What more proof does anyone need to see what a great phone this is? Everyone who stands to lose sales to the One X is so afraid the public will love it, they are all trying to bury it! C'mon AT&T, prove me wrong! Give us back our 23GB of free Dropbox - and then some!! I will get off my soapbox now. The bottom line is the One X truly is a great phone, great performance and remarkable features, definitely worth the price! I am still within my 30 days but I have no thought of changing to anything else. One last remark, in the three+ weeks I have had the phone, I have had no less than five people ask me what kind of phone it is; in the past almost 20 years of cell phone ownership, that has never happened...ever. Clearly, this is a beautiful, and noticeable phone.

****11/26/12 UPDATE****

I have had my One X (white) for five months now, and I am still finding things I didn't know it could do. I LOVE THIS PHONE! I am very happy with all of the features and performance of every function (calls, text, email, browsing, games, camera/video, basically everything). I have no regrets selecting the One X over all of the others, including the SGS3. Yes, the battery could be more powerful, but it does get me through a full day without a recharge. But just in case, I have an AC charger on my desk at work, so if I am planning a late night out, I just plug it in after lunch - no big deal. No regrets, no worries, an absolutly stellar phone!

However, HTC has released a new version called the ONE X+. I have compared it to the original and find that the improvements are well worth the upgrade, assuming the choice is available to you, meaning you are not going to have to pay the out-of-contract price. Otherwise, it is selling for the same $199 as the original did. But, here is the thing, the original X is due for an update through ATT (HTC has already rolled it out, now the individual carriers have to debug/tweak their systems for it) to the same software the X+ is using: JELLY BEAN 4.1 with the SENSE 4+ UI, (and that won't cost a dime). And, ATT has the original Grey model on sale right now (Cyber Monday) for $0.99!!! (White model - my personal favorite - for $99.)

That means you can buy the original for next to nothing and in a short while, ATT will release the update to the same OS that the One X+ is using. The difference in processing speeds will not be that noticable as the dual-core is actually plenty fast for 99% of the population (the dual-core is faster than the international quad-core, but the X+ is faster than both - nevertheless, read my comments above on "specs"). At that point, the only thing that will separate the X from the X+ will be the memory (16GB vs 64GB - a significant difference if you need to carry loads of data with you, as neither has an SD card), the battery (1800mAh vs 2100mAh - but I understand that the update includes better power management, and the original battery is really no slouch if you are not trying to continuously play games for hours on end), a few new tweaks to some of the features (but I think the OS/UI update will also take care of most of those), Gorilla Glass I vs Gorilla Glass II (more scratch resistant), and the shell (smooth polycarbonate in white or grey vs a rubberized finish in matte black only - no red highlights for US version).

I loved the original when it came out, and I still do. With the update soon to be released by ATT, and the price drop, this is a no-brainer if you are wondering what to do. If you are eligible for an upgrade from ATT and you have the extra $200 to spare, go for the X+ now, you will not regret it. BUT, if money is tight, for $1 or $100 (less from Amazon and some other sellers) you can get an extremely close equivelent and choice of color by buying the original X. Of course, you can always wait till the start of summer when the prices will drop again as newer models are released.

One of my favorite things about this phone is its looks. I do not use any case because I think the appearance of the phone is just that good. Some of my friends bought the Galaxy S3, and though it is newer than the X, it already looks old, (and they really show scratches, nicks, dings, etc.) and so similar to every other Samsung it is hard to tell what model it is. On the other hand the HTC One X still looks brand new and like nothing else (except perhaps other One models). As I stated above, I have people ask all the time what the phone is; or now, recognize it and ask how I like it because they want to either upgrade what they have or are looking for one as a gift.

The bottom line here is just get down from the fence and buy it already. Choose the One (see what I did there?) that your budget will allow. You won't be sorry!
on May 10, 2012
This phone has great form, and speed.

EDIT #2: Back to 5 stars. Update 1.85.502 fixes the multitasking problem and wifi/connectivity issues. This phone seems like an excellent buy now. Bootloader also unlocked at XDA.

EDIT: I now give it 4 instead of 5 stars because it does not have any real Android multitasking like my Nexus. Further, I can't even fix this issue because of the currently locked bootloader, which is lame.

1. It's light for its size, and easy to hold (average sized hands).
2. Best screen on the market compared to any phone, including the Nexus and Iphone.
3. Extremely fast, ICS.
4. Great battery life even with huge screen and average battery size.
5. Phone is already rooted (check XDA forums), so you can remove the AT&T bloatware.
6. Bootloader unlocked at XDA

1. 16GB memory is the only option. (Free 25GB dropbox for 2 years though).
2. Battery size is average, could've been bigger and removable, but the battery life is very good.

Some people give it low ratings because it's not available on Verizon, and because they generally don't like the Android ecosystem (Apple fanboi), not the phone itself. These aren't valid reasons to rate a specific device below it's true value, so check it out in a store first.
on August 9, 2012
Update 9/23/12: I just downgraded my review of this phone from 5 to 3 stars for two reasons:

1. Battery life is worse than advertised and battery is non-replaceable.

2. This phone does not have an SD card slot and only about 8GB of space is available for storage. I knew this when I bought it, but wasn't concerned because the AT&T sales rep who sold me the phone in an AT&T store showed me in the HTC USER MANUAL where it comes with 23GB free space on dropbox (for two years), and dropbox is integrated into the latest HTC Sense operating system.

According to the manual, after setting up dropbox, photos and videos are automatically uploaded to dropbox after capture. Had also read several reviews that mentioned HTC was doing this due to the lack of an SD card slot. So when I recently started running out of space after several minutes of HD videos (one of the phone's best features) I went to claim my 23GB free space on dropbox (supposedly automatic after completing the "getting started" steps). But it was not to be. HTC & dropbox now say that AT&T is "not participating in this promotion" and only the 2GB free storage is available (with a little more if you jump thru dropbox hoops and invite friends, etc.).

The problem is that the user manual says NOTHING about any "promotion" or required carrier participation. The dropbox storage is depicted as a feature of the phone in the user manual (even the manual currently on the AT&T site), which makes sense due to the miniscule and non-upgradeable on-board memory. And now I see that AT&T is offering a competing online storage plan that you is PAY after 5GB. Maybe that's the reason AT&T?

In any case, this is unseemly, cheap and probably illegal, since it is advertised and sold as a feature of the phone, and is further depicted in the user manual as such. It also makes a phone that does excellent 1080p video virtually useless for events (sports/outdoor activities, weddings, parties, etc), with 8GB or less usable storage. Really wanted a phone that does great pics & video (which it does) so I wouldn't have to carry another camera along.

AT&T and HTC should correct this oversight now, or stop with the false advertising! With only 8GB of storage available, this phone is much less appealing and much less useful.

*************** END OF UPDATE ***********************

I've had this phone for almost 2 weeks - upgraded from a HTC Inspire 4g. Wasn't going to bother since I really liked the 4g and didn't think it would be that much of an improvement. I was very happily surprised! HTC really hit the sweet spot with this phone, because:

- The SCREEN is just absolutely gorgeous! Much deeper colors, much brighter than the 4g and I can see it perfectly fine in bright sunlight (one drawback of the Inspire 4g). And the colors are ACCURATE (unlike Samsung screens), which is great for photos and videos.

- I've now totally given up on carrying a digital camera for anything. The camera on this phone is simply amazing - photos and video are at least as good as most point-and-shoot digital cameras. You'll be surprised how good it is.

- The larger screen size is just right - wasn't sure I wanted to go larger than the Inspire 4.3" screen, but now I love the One X 4.7" screen. The extra size makes texting, email and videos much easier to do.

- The phone itself is not much larger (screen goes closer to the edge), but it is very noticeably lighter than the 4g.

- No problem at all running Ice Cream Sandwich, which is much easier to use than Gingerbread. Everything happens much faster.

- Does everything faster - only have 4g where I live, but I get about 30% faster speeds than with the Inspire 4g, and web pages load about 3x faster due to the speed and better CPU.

- Battery life is excellent. It seems even better after the update which downloaded about a week ago (will prompt you and will only download over wi-fi).

- The beautifully sculpted body and gorgeous screen make iPhone 4 owners jealous.

If you're eligible for an upgrade, get one. You won't regret it.
on May 7, 2012
1. Locked bootloader, doesn't concern me, don't need it and I'm sure when I do, someone would have figured out a way.

2. 16GB memory with 12GB available to use. Knew about it when I bought the phone, can't complain.

3. No micro SD slot. Knew about it when I bought the phone, would have kept my samsung galaxy skyrocket if this was a deal breaker.

4. The screen is great in general and I know it's HD, but I would prefer to watch 720P/1080P movies on my 55" big screen than a 4.7 inch phone. It's more for convenience, not a home theatre replacement. That should free up the 12GB available for more movies rather than trying to squeeze 720P movies into a phone.

Hands down, best android phone out there. Can't stand Samsung's build quality, even the new S3 is not going to cut it in that department.