on March 28, 2013
Bought this phone when I switched from Verizon because it was free with my plan and was the closest option to my Verizon phone - the Samsung Intensity II. I don't need a data plan and I don't call and text too often, but often enough that I wanted a keyboard function. I was pretty happy with the Intensity II and only ditched it because I switched carriers so my review will mostly be comparing how well The Xpression fits me vs my Intensity II.

First of all, the color was attractive. I like the bright, bold, noticeable red, much like I like the bright, metallic blue of the Intensity II. Both phones are similar size and weight. It's a little bulky in width but its also short, which I like because I can tuck it away into my pocket more easily and it's comfortable in my hand.

The touchscreen on the Xpression is more convenient, with 3 main screens and the ability to add widgets. It's faster for me to get to the screen I want without having to go through a layer of folders. However there are a few drawbacks. Unlike my non-touchscreen Intensity, the Xpression keeps the clock and calendar on one page as opposed to being permanently fixed into the corner so if I want to review the time and date, I have to exit back to my home screen. My Intensity had a speaker button next to my accept call button that I could use anytime but the Xpression does not. There's an option to turn on the speaker via a touchscreen button when I go to call a contact but not when I went to set up voicemail, so it was a little annoying to have to continually put the phone to my ear, then take it away to type my codes, then put it back to my ear and have to listen to the prompter twice because I missed the first half of the next instructional message. Another thing that was annoying during this process was the phone locks instantly so everytime I took the phone away from my ear, I would have to light up the screen, unlock it, and then type my code. I changed the settings so that it wouldn't lock but it didn't work. But these are really minor annoyances that I can live with. The sound quality during phone calls has been pretty good so far - no crackling, lost calls, fuzziness, etc.

Texting was probably my biggest issue since that's what I use the phone for most of the time. I like that one of my home screens can hold icons for the contacts I use most so initiating a call or text is incredibly convenient. On my intensity, I had to open my contacts or message folder and find the name I wanted. The Xpression saves me a little time by not having to hunt. One thing I miss from my Intensity that the Xpression doesn't do, is the ability to just start typing and have a text message form instantly. In the Xpression, I have to signal that I want to send a text message first before I can start creating my message. Again, that's just a very minor issue and more of a simple inconvenience rather than a complaint. What I do have a complaint over, however, is the character limit on the Xpression. It goes up to 160 if I reply to a message sent to me, so if I want to send a longer message, I have to start a new message entirely or reply with multiple short messages. I've only had the phone for a couple of days so I'm still debating whether this is enough of an issue for me to want to return it for a phone with no text limit, or if it's something I'll get used to.

Storage is much more easily maintained on the Xpression. Both this one and my previous phone have pretty limited storage capacity but on my last phone, once my limit was reached, I had to delete messages either one by one or by each contact. On my Xpression, I can do either of those options or I can press one button and delete my entire cache of text messages from everyone. Much easier. Also, transferring music and other files between the Xpression and my computer was a breeze. All I had to do was plug it in and it automatically did everything for me. On my Intensity, I had to spend over an hour learning how to get the two devices to connect and transfer because the phone was so finicky. Music uploaded on my last phone would all be jumbled together with the audio tones and I never figured out how to separate it but the Xpression automatically filters my music into the music player, which I can pull up from my homescreen, so I appreciate that. The sound quality of the music is pretty much what you'd expect for a non-smartphone. It's loud enough but a bit tinny - I wouldn't recommend playing music on it without headphones. The tinny sound is also why I wouldn't really go out of my way for a custom ringtone, either; it's more likely to annoy other people who hear it when it rings. There's a voice recorder attached also, but it will only hold about 10 minutes of sound recording.

The camera isn't very good - only 2 megapixels, the same as my Intensity II. But my last phone only took photos and sent photos. The Xpression at least gives you some choices to change the lighting and effects, and you get a basic set of editing tools with some cute extras like stickers, frames, and the ability to make GIFs. So even though the photos aren't the best quality, you can at least play with them a little.

I would say overall it's a pretty decent basic phone. It has some nice perks and is relatively easy to learn how to use. Just keep in mind, this is not a smartphone so don't expect everything to be super-advanced. It does what it's supposed to do fairly well but it can't handle tons of files or 24 hour internet usage at light speed. It's not meant to be a combo of topnotch phone/laptop/camcorder/GPS devices. Overall, aside from the texting limit, I'm pretty happy with the LG Xpression.
on February 17, 2014
I got this phone for free because AT&T was upgrading their service in our mostly rural area, and they sent me a letter saying that my old flip phone wouldn't work well pretty soon. I thought it was too good to be true, and actually, I got texting and internet connection free, which I'd never had before. BUT - this phone is terrible! I thought it was me. It's the first touch-screen phone I've owned, and I am extremely tech savvy for my age (and for a lot of other, younger people's ages as well) but this phone had me questioning whether I was losing my cognitive abilities until I read other reviews at various sites. The screen blacks out too quickly, the phone makes calls on its own while you are talking to someone else (I thought maybe my earring had touched the screen and activated my contacts...), things appear randomly on the screen when you haven't touched it, and so on.

BUT HERE'S THE SOLUTION! I called AT&T and a very savvy customer service rep said: Go to WalMart, buy a GoPhone, and take your LG to the AT&T store. They will switch your sim card into the GoPhone and it should be free. I figured I'd give the LG Xpression a little more time to behave, but it really helps knowing I can ditch it someday if I can't stand it anymore.
on April 17, 2013
Overall design is nice. I don't do a lot of texting so any limitation to doing so doesn't bother me. What does bother me, is the touch screen sensitivity. I have a hard time scrolling through my contacts without bringing one into the calling cue. It makes pocket dialing a given so I can't put it in my pocket. Also, I wish the alarm volume was louder. Currently, I take my SIM card out at night and put it in an OLD Razor. That alarm will wake the dead. I'd sleep right through the LG's. For a free phone it's hard to complain but the function issues are hard to get around
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 12, 2013
I'll admit, I'd rather have a smart phone... But that's mostly because having an iPod touch and a cell phone can be a tad weird. I've had this phone for about two months now... And I know that most people say that you should get a case, when in reality, I drop this thing at least once a day, like knocking the battery out and everything and the phone it's just fine minus a couple of nicks in the finish.
As for the keyboard, the buttons are easy to press more than once, meaning that I'll end up with a message like this, "I'llll be tthere soon." However, having them not as protruding as some phones, it's easy to slide your fingers across and get out a message.
The touch screen is nice and I enjoy the accuracy. Now, call me an abuser of my phone, but I text while I'm in the shower, and the phone has still kept up. I remember having the touch screen on one of my previous LG phones just completely stop working.
In some areas it is very slow and likes to take its time thinking. But, it's a good alternative to your mp3. One thing I don't particularly enjoy is that it stops the music to play over your notification sounds. But, it does rewind a few seconds so that you remember where in the song you are.
I have noticed quite a few glitches. One of them being that in the texting app, it'll sometimes label the conversations by their phone numbers rather than by the contact name. But scrolling a little usually fixes it. Another one I noticed that I recently had to fix was that a text message pretended to be there and it couldn't delete it and so the only way I fixed was to completely reset to factory settings. Thank heaven I had my contacts and data on external places.
Another glitch is that when you listen to music, sometime it likes to convince you that it can't find the data for your messaging app and he only way to fix it is to turn the phone off and back on. And finally, I've had it just randomly restart on me. For absolutely no reason.
Overall it's a nice phone, and it's way better than the flip phone I had previously, but it does have its issues which I hope will be fixed sometime soon.
on September 25, 2012
I was loving this little phone!! But sadly after 3 weeks of use I will have to send it back.
The screen lock feature can not be entirely disabled. Even if you set the phone to NEVER lock automatically it will ALWAYS lock upon placing call. Really? This is a horrible feature! I called LG to see if there is a way to completely disable screen lock and the rep told me this is a security feature on ALL LG with slide out keyboards. Dispite many attemtps to just deal with this quirk I simply can not. This feature makes the phone vitually useless and I am sending it back.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2014
Phone lasted barely a year, just long enough to exceed warranty. AT&T rep refused to help. Just sell sell sell.... Refused to pay $150 for a phone that breaks in 12.5 months. The phone has never been dropped, gotten wet or damaged in any way shape or form. Guys at AT&T store said it was in "pristine" condition. Rep gave them a sales pitch, too. Been with AT&T for 15 years, had last phone for 8 years (also LG). Obviously, LG's quality has gone south and AT&T is losing yet another customer.

This is actually my personal phone. Company phone is droid from AT&T. Have a feeling IT Mgr (me) will switching our 42 phones to a new plan in October. The air cards renew in December. Checking into whether we can pull the iPads. Bye-bye.

When this phone craps out on you, pick up an AT&T Go Phone at Walmart for half the price, plug in SIM card and demand (2nd AT&T rep) do whatever they
on May 4, 2014
can't carry in my pocket at work without pocket dialing or actuating some other function on the phone and i don't like the slide keyboard.
on June 9, 2014
Both my husband and my son have this phone. My husband starts work in the early morning (3am) so he's got his phone on and in his pocket very early. The only keyboard lock available is for when the phone is turned on after being shut down. If the phone is asleep, all you do is swipe (light touch) the screen and it wakes up and can make a call. That's the problem - both phones "butt-dial" a lot. Not fun for friends and family in the early morning hours! The only way to prevent it is to shut the phone off. We've be waiting out our two year contract but have now gotten to the breaking point. Hard to believe the manufacturer left off such an important feature (passcode required to unlock after sleep). I would not recommend this phone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2012
Build Quality
Solid body and smooth slider operation. Doesn't seem to utilize as thick of a plastic as my wife's Pantech Pursuit II but still solid. I haven't used texting on a phone before though my last phone had an on screen keypad with which I wrote notes, this physical keypad works better and I am less prone to make a mistake so there is less backspacing to make corrections. I will add battery life to this area as so far it has been great and I have not had any problems with it dying prematurely.

OS
The three home screens (contacts, widgets & shortcuts) are useful and switching between them is as easy as swiping across the screen. Though I haven't played with Android phones much from what I have, this home screen operates similar. The transition animation between each home screen is not as smooth as other operations on this phone (like scrolling through contacts) but, it does not lag much. The main settings menu is broken into four separate tabs and navigating between each is very quick and easy. They only annoying feature of this phone is when it locks the screen in between using the dial pad for automated messaging systems.

Texting
Texts are displayed in a conversation view by default but can be also viewed in a standard timeline fashion. As I stated earlier, I have just started texting but the keypad works pretty well for me. The first letter in a sentence is automatically capitalized by default which is nice but if the shift button is pressed before you start typing, ever character is capitalized. The alternate key works the same way, press once for the first character to be an alternate character or twice to keep each successive character as an alternate.

Storage
After removing the back plate and upon inserting an SD card, the phone automatically recognizes the card, adds its own folders and changes the default storage location for photos, videos and music to the card instead of the phone's memory. Adding pictures and music is simple. Use the provided USB data cable to connect the phone to your PC and the phone will automatically ask you to sync music, use the device as mass storage or establish a data connection. Select mass storage and you can immediately add photos and music.

Custom Ringtones
Ringtones are slightly more difficult to add and use. You cannot just use any mp3 file. The file must be both less than 30 seconds and 300kb. For each of my ringtones, as long as they are 30 seconds or less, they can be encoded at up to 80kbps. Once you have files that are under 300kb and less than 30 seconds long, add them to your SD card. From the file manager, you can play the file in the audio player and it will give you the option to click the use as button in the upper right. You can also just go to sounds and then ringtone and the files that meet the above criteria should be listed to select as ringtones.

Call Quality
I have honestly not made many calls but voice quality and volume seems pretty crisp. My last phones were mostly Motorolas and their call quality sounded a bit more natural but this phone's isn't bad. Reception coming over to AT&T and LG from Verizon and Motorola seems slightly lower inside of my one story work building but I haven't had any major problems yet.

Overall
This phone has met most of my expectations and exceeded others. For a free phone the quality on all fronts is great. My only complaints would be the restrictions on ringtones and that the orientation of the screen does not change when rotating the phone. It only changes when sliding out the keypad which is fine. There is also only an option of an onscreen dial pad and not an onscreen keypad which is fine but would have been a nice addition. Also the Brew MP OS does not seem "hackable" as my previous brew or P2k phones but this is made up for in the customization of the home screens. Having a 3.5mm headphone jack sounds nice for some but I never ended up using it on my previous phone. In the end, I would recommend this phone for someone who just wants a solid, simple messaging phone.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2012
So I bought this phone because after doing alot of research I saw it was highly rated on both amazon and AT&T. I previously had a palm pre (worst phone of my life) so I figured ANYTHING would be better. Also I no longer wanted to pay a monthly fee so since everyone seemed to love this phone I decided to buy it. I must say I am quite disappointed. In the 4.5 hours I`ve had it I have decided to return it asap!

The positive thing about this phone is that its speakers are amazing! At the highest volume (5) it sounds like it could be on speakerphone almost. I like the sleek finish and the color but thats about where my positives stop. There was a handful of things I didn`t like when using this phone that I hadn`t seen on any of the reviews from AT&T or here which I was surprised at. I was willing to deal with the flat buttons, which by the way require some force to press on. (Its like a small workout for my thumbs every time I write a text) and I know that the small storage space would have become a problem but I`m going to tell you what was a deal breaker for me!

As phone focused on texting I would expect it to have a good text platform. No! #1. You have to backspace one letter at a time. If you hold down the backspace button it erases the entire message instead of a word at a time like other phones. #2. When somebody texts you an annoying notification comes up every time, even when you are already in their conversation! You can chose to either view or ignore, but if you view while in the middle of writing a text, your text gets erased. And the last but definitely most annoying #3. THERE IS A 160 CHARACTER LIMIT!!

There were other things that I didn`t like so much; it`s very thick, the graphics look dated, and my battery went from full to dead in 4.5 hours, 1.5 of which I wasn`t using it. But the three texting issues I described above were the dealbreakers for me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...