Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 28, 2013
Bought this phone when I switched from Verizon because it was free with my plan and was the closest option to my Verizon phone - the Samsung Intensity II. I don't need a data plan and I don't call and text too often, but often enough that I wanted a keyboard function. I was pretty happy with the Intensity II and only ditched it because I switched carriers so my review will mostly be comparing how well The Xpression fits me vs my Intensity II.

First of all, the color was attractive. I like the bright, bold, noticeable red, much like I like the bright, metallic blue of the Intensity II. Both phones are similar size and weight. It's a little bulky in width but its also short, which I like because I can tuck it away into my pocket more easily and it's comfortable in my hand.

The touchscreen on the Xpression is more convenient, with 3 main screens and the ability to add widgets. It's faster for me to get to the screen I want without having to go through a layer of folders. However there are a few drawbacks. Unlike my non-touchscreen Intensity, the Xpression keeps the clock and calendar on one page as opposed to being permanently fixed into the corner so if I want to review the time and date, I have to exit back to my home screen. My Intensity had a speaker button next to my accept call button that I could use anytime but the Xpression does not. There's an option to turn on the speaker via a touchscreen button when I go to call a contact but not when I went to set up voicemail, so it was a little annoying to have to continually put the phone to my ear, then take it away to type my codes, then put it back to my ear and have to listen to the prompter twice because I missed the first half of the next instructional message. Another thing that was annoying during this process was the phone locks instantly so everytime I took the phone away from my ear, I would have to light up the screen, unlock it, and then type my code. I changed the settings so that it wouldn't lock but it didn't work. But these are really minor annoyances that I can live with. The sound quality during phone calls has been pretty good so far - no crackling, lost calls, fuzziness, etc.

Texting was probably my biggest issue since that's what I use the phone for most of the time. I like that one of my home screens can hold icons for the contacts I use most so initiating a call or text is incredibly convenient. On my intensity, I had to open my contacts or message folder and find the name I wanted. The Xpression saves me a little time by not having to hunt. One thing I miss from my Intensity that the Xpression doesn't do, is the ability to just start typing and have a text message form instantly. In the Xpression, I have to signal that I want to send a text message first before I can start creating my message. Again, that's just a very minor issue and more of a simple inconvenience rather than a complaint. What I do have a complaint over, however, is the character limit on the Xpression. It goes up to 160 if I reply to a message sent to me, so if I want to send a longer message, I have to start a new message entirely or reply with multiple short messages. I've only had the phone for a couple of days so I'm still debating whether this is enough of an issue for me to want to return it for a phone with no text limit, or if it's something I'll get used to.

Storage is much more easily maintained on the Xpression. Both this one and my previous phone have pretty limited storage capacity but on my last phone, once my limit was reached, I had to delete messages either one by one or by each contact. On my Xpression, I can do either of those options or I can press one button and delete my entire cache of text messages from everyone. Much easier. Also, transferring music and other files between the Xpression and my computer was a breeze. All I had to do was plug it in and it automatically did everything for me. On my Intensity, I had to spend over an hour learning how to get the two devices to connect and transfer because the phone was so finicky. Music uploaded on my last phone would all be jumbled together with the audio tones and I never figured out how to separate it but the Xpression automatically filters my music into the music player, which I can pull up from my homescreen, so I appreciate that. The sound quality of the music is pretty much what you'd expect for a non-smartphone. It's loud enough but a bit tinny - I wouldn't recommend playing music on it without headphones. The tinny sound is also why I wouldn't really go out of my way for a custom ringtone, either; it's more likely to annoy other people who hear it when it rings. There's a voice recorder attached also, but it will only hold about 10 minutes of sound recording.

The camera isn't very good - only 2 megapixels, the same as my Intensity II. But my last phone only took photos and sent photos. The Xpression at least gives you some choices to change the lighting and effects, and you get a basic set of editing tools with some cute extras like stickers, frames, and the ability to make GIFs. So even though the photos aren't the best quality, you can at least play with them a little.

I would say overall it's a pretty decent basic phone. It has some nice perks and is relatively easy to learn how to use. Just keep in mind, this is not a smartphone so don't expect everything to be super-advanced. It does what it's supposed to do fairly well but it can't handle tons of files or 24 hour internet usage at light speed. It's not meant to be a combo of topnotch phone/laptop/camcorder/GPS devices. Overall, aside from the texting limit, I'm pretty happy with the LG Xpression.
on February 17, 2014
I got this phone for free because AT&T was upgrading their service in our mostly rural area, and they sent me a letter saying that my old flip phone wouldn't work well pretty soon. I thought it was too good to be true, and actually, I got texting and internet connection free, which I'd never had before. BUT - this phone is terrible! I thought it was me. It's the first touch-screen phone I've owned, and I am extremely tech savvy for my age (and for a lot of other, younger people's ages as well) but this phone had me questioning whether I was losing my cognitive abilities until I read other reviews at various sites. The screen blacks out too quickly, the phone makes calls on its own while you are talking to someone else (I thought maybe my earring had touched the screen and activated my contacts...), things appear randomly on the screen when you haven't touched it, and so on.

BUT HERE'S THE SOLUTION! I called AT&T and a very savvy customer service rep said: Go to WalMart, buy a GoPhone, and take your LG to the AT&T store. They will switch your sim card into the GoPhone and it should be free. I figured I'd give the LG Xpression a little more time to behave, but it really helps knowing I can ditch it someday if I can't stand it anymore.
on May 12, 2013
I'll admit, I'd rather have a smart phone... But that's mostly because having an iPod touch and a cell phone can be a tad weird. I've had this phone for about two months now... And I know that most people say that you should get a case, when in reality, I drop this thing at least once a day, like knocking the battery out and everything and the phone it's just fine minus a couple of nicks in the finish.
As for the keyboard, the buttons are easy to press more than once, meaning that I'll end up with a message like this, "I'llll be tthere soon." However, having them not as protruding as some phones, it's easy to slide your fingers across and get out a message.
The touch screen is nice and I enjoy the accuracy. Now, call me an abuser of my phone, but I text while I'm in the shower, and the phone has still kept up. I remember having the touch screen on one of my previous LG phones just completely stop working.
In some areas it is very slow and likes to take its time thinking. But, it's a good alternative to your mp3. One thing I don't particularly enjoy is that it stops the music to play over your notification sounds. But, it does rewind a few seconds so that you remember where in the song you are.
I have noticed quite a few glitches. One of them being that in the texting app, it'll sometimes label the conversations by their phone numbers rather than by the contact name. But scrolling a little usually fixes it. Another one I noticed that I recently had to fix was that a text message pretended to be there and it couldn't delete it and so the only way I fixed was to completely reset to factory settings. Thank heaven I had my contacts and data on external places.
Another glitch is that when you listen to music, sometime it likes to convince you that it can't find the data for your messaging app and he only way to fix it is to turn the phone off and back on. And finally, I've had it just randomly restart on me. For absolutely no reason.
Overall it's a nice phone, and it's way better than the flip phone I had previously, but it does have its issues which I hope will be fixed sometime soon.
on April 17, 2013
Overall design is nice. I don't do a lot of texting so any limitation to doing so doesn't bother me. What does bother me, is the touch screen sensitivity. I have a hard time scrolling through my contacts without bringing one into the calling cue. It makes pocket dialing a given so I can't put it in my pocket. Also, I wish the alarm volume was louder. Currently, I take my SIM card out at night and put it in an OLD Razor. That alarm will wake the dead. I'd sleep right through the LG's. For a free phone it's hard to complain but the function issues are hard to get around
on May 15, 2014
Phone lasted barely a year, just long enough to exceed warranty. AT&T rep refused to help. Just sell sell sell.... Refused to pay $150 for a phone that breaks in 12.5 months. The phone has never been dropped, gotten wet or damaged in any way shape or form. Guys at AT&T store said it was in "pristine" condition. Rep gave them a sales pitch, too. Been with AT&T for 15 years, had last phone for 8 years (also LG). Obviously, LG's quality has gone south and AT&T is losing yet another customer.

This is actually my personal phone. Company phone is droid from AT&T. Have a feeling IT Mgr (me) will switching our 42 phones to a new plan in October. The air cards renew in December. Checking into whether we can pull the iPads. Bye-bye.

When this phone craps out on you, pick up an AT&T Go Phone at Walmart for half the price, plug in SIM card and demand (2nd AT&T rep) do whatever they
on October 12, 2015
The LG Expression 2 was my first touchscreen phone. I previously had a flip phone and did not use texting.

I have been doing battle with this phone for four months. I am returning the phone this morning. I waited so long because I thought the problems I was experiencing were a result of my making errors with my first touchscreen and texting phone.

I finally broke down and read some reviews only to discover that the phone, not I, was the source of the problems.

Here is what you will experience with the LG Expression 2:

You place a phone call to an automatic answering system. By the time you have to "press 1 for English," the touchscreen has gone blank and you have to fumble around to reactivate it. By the time you manage that, the automatic answering system is becoming impatient with you.

You place a call. The recipient answers. You begin your conversation. The recipient soon sounds confused and slightly desperate because he cannot hear you, although you can hear him perfectly. (This happened twice in a row to me while I was talking to my doctor. I resorted to using my land line. Glad I happened to be at home.)

You are walking down the street/upstairs doing your laundry. Your elderly mom calls you out of the blue all upset and asks why you just called her and were unresponsive when she answered. You did not call her. Your phone miraculously unlocked its own screen, went to the window for placing phone calls, and placed a phone call to your mom--all of its own volition. To quote Gomer Pyle: "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

Your phone screen says "slide up to unlock." It takes several attempts to get it to unlock. In the meantime, the phone continues to ring. People around you begin looking annoyed.

You touch a number or an icon on your screen repeatedly, and nothing happens. You wonder if throwing the phone against a wall might enhance its responsiveness.

You are texting. You hear a click, and the icon suddenly jumps backward into the middle of a word you have already typed, causing you to insert words into the middle of other words. This necessitates deleting the word-inside-a-word and laboriously repositioning the icon so you can resume texting your message.

You are texting. An incoming text message appears on your screen. Your screen locks, and you are unable to proceed with your message until you stop and open the incoming text message.

You have received a fairly long text message. You click on it to open it up. It will then not enable you to scroll down through the message so you can read all of it. When you attempt to scroll down on the touchscreen, the message closes and you have to reopen it.

You send a text message to multiple recipients. The screen will not show you all of the people to whom you sent the message--just the first person in the list of contacts.

You call a company that answers with a “Press 1 for, Press 2 for” menu of prompts. While you are holding the phone to your ear to hear the prompts, your ear repeatedly dials 1, or—better yet—dials AT&T Directory Assistance, for which a charge appears on your bill. Recently, I was speaking with one of my doctors and suddenly heard the AT&T female robo-voice speaking to me.

I have tried to use the internet a couple of times from the phone, and I have given up in despair.

I have returned and replaced one of these phones under warranty. The replacement phone worked a bit better for a bit longer than the first one did, but it was still extremely vexing to use.

There is no owner's manual for this phone. Nothing is particularly intuitive when it comes to operating it, and so an owner's manual would seem to me to be a sine qua non.

My friends tell me I should get an iPhone. I do not need an iPhone. I just need a reliable phone for calling and texting and--perhaps--occasionally looking up a movie showtime on the internet. I'm a simple guy with simple needs.

Unless you enjoy aggravation, I strongly suggest you find another phone. I got this one for "free" with my plan. I feel like charging AT&T a fee for all of the angst the phone has caused.

LG Expression 2: an unmitigated disaster unfit for marketing. The company would do well to recall it for fear of wrecking its reputation.
on June 9, 2014
Both my husband and my son have this phone. My husband starts work in the early morning (3am) so he's got his phone on and in his pocket very early. The only keyboard lock available is for when the phone is turned on after being shut down. If the phone is asleep, all you do is swipe (light touch) the screen and it wakes up and can make a call. That's the problem - both phones "butt-dial" a lot. Not fun for friends and family in the early morning hours! The only way to prevent it is to shut the phone off. We've be waiting out our two year contract but have now gotten to the breaking point. Hard to believe the manufacturer left off such an important feature (passcode required to unlock after sleep). I would not recommend this phone.
on September 25, 2012
I was loving this little phone!! But sadly after 3 weeks of use I will have to send it back.
The screen lock feature can not be entirely disabled. Even if you set the phone to NEVER lock automatically it will ALWAYS lock upon placing call. Really? This is a horrible feature! I called LG to see if there is a way to completely disable screen lock and the rep told me this is a security feature on ALL LG with slide out keyboards. Dispite many attemtps to just deal with this quirk I simply can not. This feature makes the phone vitually useless and I am sending it back.
on March 27, 2014
Avoid at all costs. Call quality worst seen to date. Ergonomics with pun constantly turning itself on in your pocket and autodialing. You also have to wake screen constantly to get to any prompts including end call, extremely frustrating. Outgoing texts work about 50% of the time. Fell out of my daughters pocket while kneeling, onto grass and exploded: back fell off, battery flew out?!!? I've dropped my iphone on treadmill and kicked across the gym ---TWICE---- not a scratch.
Beyonf worthless
Do NOT get this phn, you'll be sorry
on December 28, 2013
When I first got this phone, my son immediately wanted one too, so I ended up getting him one. If there is a complaint, it is that it doesn't come in other colors. (My son would prefer it if mine were blue, so they wouldn't be exactly alike.) However, it is a great phone for basic calling & texting. It's sturdy too: I've dropped mine several times onto asphalt & concrete, which has resulted in nothing more than a few minor scratches & one very small chip. I could probably make it look just like new in 5 minutes, with an artist's brush and a bit of red enamel paint.