Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on July 1, 2012
Phone is a great upgrade from the first Evo.

Good:

Camera - Is notably better than old Evo, image noise is less with ISO, low light is much better (even in auto flash, it chooses no flash a surprising number of times), less blur. Video is significantly better, again less noise, better frame rate, better resolution, looks better than early point and shoot HD cameras. No disappointments considering the size of the tiny sensor.

Speed - It takes a lot to try and slow it down, current software and apps pose no challenge for speed, no lagging.

Screen - HD! Plays HD videos from youtube or your camera videos without hesitation. Color is great, fingerprints seem to not be as big of a problem with this screen and I have a dirty hands often. Did I say the screen is nice?

Build - Is much thinner, and lighter vs. old Evo, but much more buttoned down. Loose flimsy cover of the old one no more, the rear panel is tight and firm like a non removable piece of the phone, only removed to access SD card slot. Opening over camera does not have a separate lens to protect like I initially thought, when you pop the cover, its just a hole, and the camera and tiny lens are left. Quality overall is improved several notches. Kick stand is very firm, no accidental closing is going to happen.

Hack-ability - There is currently no trouble rooting this phone, using the HTC available route, or other. Roms are abundant already, and plenty of developers are working on it.

Functionally everything works smoothly, it feels like a finished product

Bad:

LTE isn't here yet. Option to disable LTE radio for battery is kind of buried a little.

Google wallet is currently not functioning. Waiting for it to be enabled.

Update: 7/11/12 htc update fixed Google wallet for real this time, currently uses a Google prepaid card that gives you $10, or a citi Mastercard, which I don't have. But it's fixed.

Update: 8/1/12 Google wallet update has allowed all major credit cards to be used, not just the one citi card. In fact, a card I had used through google payments before and had saved was already loaded for me to set as the primary card.

WTH is the deal with landscape everywhere but home screen? Launcher replacement or Root options are the only remedy so far.

Coming from rooted Evo to non rooted Evo LTE is a little frustrating, and tempting to break this one in early. Mainly the non-uninstallable programs bother me, as well as tether, and any access to system files. Bright side -- you do have the option to disable apps in the details, after uninstalling any updates, there is a button to disable, no more bothering for updates and they don't load up or show in drawer.

Speaking of drawer, I miss the scrolling app drawer, and instead have horizontal pages. Not a fan.

You need to install a SD card to see the disk drive option show up in the usb menu. Transferring to internal storage is extremely slow for some reason.

The phone is slippery, that beautiful aluminum ring, combined with being very light, makes one handed holding frustratingly droppy. A cover is now installed, and makes a big difference.

I miss the search button, and lesser so the menu button. But really the search button. Not sure why ICS phones are going this route. Don't get the point. Now have a shortcut to search on home page, or you can use the search widget, Hey Google - not as good. And someone was not paying attention when they put the home button directly below the spacebar, nothing like typing a message or mail and repeatedly hitting home button. Would be nice to disable the home button when text boxes are active.

But gripes aside, do love the phone. A worthy piece of technology even in overly critical hands.
on September 11, 2012
Having previously owned the original EVO 4G and having regular access to the EVO 3D (owned by the boyfriend), I can safely say that while HTC's previous versions in the EVO series have all been exceptional devices, HTC really hits it out of the park with the EVO 4G LTE. It has so far managed to be everything this gadget geek has long dreamed of (within the laws of physics of course) and more.

To preface my actual detailed review, I would like to expound upon the degree of use my phone undertakes on a daily basis. It's my dedicated work computer and music device. I commute to different locations, some taking about 50 minutes one way during which I stream music from my Amazon MP3 cloud as opposed to just playing files off the device. At work, I am constantly getting in and out of vehicles with my phone stowed in my back pocket and am constantly removing it to input data that requires loading multiple html pages every few minutes as well as taking/making work calls. I also occasionally stream YouTube videos and frequently browse the web and check email. I currently live and work in an area where Sprint has not yet implemented 4G LTE. That means that I only have access to 3G coverage.

The top reasons this phone makes my job and my life easier:

It's fast!: Data speed was my primary concern in upgrading to the EVO 4G LTE before our city gains access to LTE. I am very pleased to say that despite currently only having access to 3G on this device, it loads webpages and streams videos faster than my old EVO 4G did on the regular 4G network. I'm giddy with anticipation for what it will be capable of when LTE finally comes to town.

It's quality build: With the type of work that I do, my phone needs to be able to take a beating. HTC has continued to impress me with their build quality and they've taken no short cuts with this device. In fact, they have only stepped up their game by adding an external and internal metal frame, part of which you can see wrapped around the outer edge of the screen.

Battery life: While I had to invest in an extra battery to charge and swap out regularly on my old EVO 4G just to make it through the work day, I can now do everything I need and want to do throughout a regular work day all on one charge and still have plenty of juice to spare at the end of the day. I can't stress enough how significant this is for anyone that fully relies on their phone to properly perform their duties at work.

Operating System: Properly reviewing Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is entirely its own beast but if you want the greatest degree of control over the functionality and performance of your phone, there is no better OS.

Reception: As of yet it seems to have better reception. I have not tested this to the fullest extent possible but I can say that while previously my streaming music on my drive to and from work was interrupted in a couple different places on back roads due to no signal on my EVO 4G, I have not had the same problem with this device.

Form factor: This is the thinnest EVO yet which makes its home in my back pocket a much more comfortable set up for me. And to reiterate, I still don't need to worry about snapping it in half as it's solidly built.

Icing on the cake:

The screen: I would venture to say that its beauty rivals even that of the Samsung Galaxy S series having just recently compared the two side by side. It has a noticeably larger, crisper and more colorful display versus the original EVO and provides even bigger virtual keys with which to enter all that data for work.

Beats Audio: While the sound quality of the on-board phone speakers is of minimal concern to me personally, for those of you that do regularly enjoy music and videos out loud, this is the best audio I've ever heard on any phone... EVER. Keep in mind that it's still only phone speakers, but you can also raise the volume significantly higher than previous EVOs in order to actually hear it even in a noisy place or to actually hear the ringtone from your pocket.

Camera: As far as phone camera's go, so far this function seems to be perfectly sufficient. I haven't messed with it enough nor have I gained enough experience with camera's on other phones outside of the EVO series to give a legitimate opinion but in comparison to the camera on my old EVO 4G, it appears to be more responsive and the video recording function can be immediately accessed with one touch now which is particularly convenient when attempting to capture those unexpected and hilarious YouTube worthy moments. The phone also has its own dedicated physical button on the side to instantly bypass the lock screen and access the camera function.

"Downside?" you ask?:

The only potential negative I see to this device is the "internal" aspect of the battery. This had concerned me initially given the amount of use I regularly subject my phone to, however as stated above, I have not yet encountered the problem of running out of power before the day is over. In regards to the eventual decline of the battery's ability to hold a charge, I can happily report that unless you are fairly tech inept you can very easily crack open the device and replace the battery yourself. There are likely at least 2 dozen videos up on YouTube by this point that will show you how to do this. Thankfully, HTC does not hate on it's own customers by forcing them to take the device into a service store for a "professional" to safely access its internals (cough... Apple... cough).

Also, I can't dock this device in any way for Sprint's slacking off with phasing in LTE. But for those of you that are concerned about it, you may very well have the same positive results I have with only 3G, at least until we all do finally get LTE.

All in all, the HTC EVO 4G LTE is an elegantly refined and inspired device. It illustrates that HTC, as a company, has yet to succumb to laziness but rather has continued to evolve their platform and reputation for exceptional innovation and design.

And the crowd roars!...
on May 7, 2015
Second one. Mistake. I thought it was my fault that the charger connector became loose and bought another one because of the great price. I was extra careful and it happened again within two months. The charger connector becomes loose. Do not purchase this phone.
on September 7, 2012
Pros:
-The battery life is good if you turn off the 4G lte antenna. I'm in a location that doesn't have this available yet.
-The screen is beautiful.
-The phone is faster than the original EVO, but I don't notice any huge difference.
-I've had 0 problems with the phone crashing/resetting after a couple of months.
-The button on the side for the camera is a nice touch.
-It was incredibly easy to transfer all my information from my previous EVO, almost like I never switched phones.
-The structural design is smarter, when you set it down it doesn't scratch the hell out of the camera lens like the last one did.

Cons:
-The multi tasking is terrible, want to reload the web page you were just looking at two seconds ago because you sent a text message? This is a common problem for me for almost any application and is incredibly irritating.
-The 3G antenna is sub par in my experience. In places that I get 5 bars of cell service I constantly have data connection issues and am unable to load up the simplest things.
-Can't change the battery out so if you're away for a long period of time you'll need to bring your charger.

All in all it's an ok phone, but I don't feel it is worth the price I paid for it.
on June 5, 2012
I knew this phone was going to be good, but it totally surpassed my expectations. I had the original EVO 4G, and decided it was time to upgrade. This phone is just downright awesome. I've gone the entire day using it pretty heavily with GPS, Facebook, internet, texting, apps, etc, and the battery only got down to about 50%. It is very fast and easy to use. There are some minor quirks about ICS that I'm not too fond of, but they are very minor. I love this phone so much.
on June 20, 2012
I have had this phone for a little over 2 weeks now and it just keeps impressing me. Im not going to go on and on about every single detail that makes this phone the best out there because everyone else has pretty much done that. Most of the negatives are sprints lack of 4glte. That doesnt effect me. I had the first evo and I never had 4g in my area. Its simple though, do some research before you buy a new phone. If you have a good 4g signal where you use your phone then do not upgrade to a 4glte phone yet because all you will have is 3g until sprint rolls out the new 4g. My ablsoulute favorite thing about this evo is you can actually run live wallpapers, do multiple things and still have decent battery life and the phone will do it all effortlessly without getting real hot and still remains super smooth and fast without a bit of hesitation. The first gen evo was supposed to do all that but was kind of a dissapointment. I was going to wait for the galaxy s3, but once I saw and felt the build quality on this evo lte, I didnt want to wait for the samsung just to find out it looks and feels just as cheap as the galaxy s2. That was my main complaint with the galaxy, it just feels like a toy. Hopefully all the people waiting for the galaxy s3 understand that they will not have 4g either for another 6 months. Every time I pull this phone out to use it, I cant help but just stare at it because it is so bright, crisp and clear. Best phone out right now hands down.
on June 7, 2012
Well I had the original evo and I loved it so I couldn't wait to get this one. I was partial to the back of the phone but its cool besides I got a case for it and the phone is thinner than the original. I love this phone and all the features. I love the updated HTC music player it looked like there was more thought put into it it does need a little more tweaking for better navigation but its good. I love how easy it is to go back to recent apps I also love the new camera functions. I also love the skins I hope they add more. Overall it was a well thought out device. ICS and sense work very nicely together. The screen is big, beautiful and vibrant. Oh and the dedicated camera button and kickstand are an awesome plus. The power button is easier to press than on the original. I do dislike the fact that they got rid of the search button and I also wish that merging calls was a little easier but that's an HTC thing not an evo thing and taking screenshots is cool. Btw I don't care if my phone talks back to me google search works great when making notes, sends emails and texts and various other commands.
on November 2, 2014
It arrived before I expected, was able to charge it, power it up, and activate it on my existing line without pant troubles.
Was very happy because this phone was just a temporary device, beings that the LG G2 I had broke and would have paid on my account w/out a phone untill February when I am able to upgrade.
on July 9, 2012
On the surface, this phone is well worth the price out of the box (as is the case for my wife), but me being the techy I am I couldn't wait to root and install a custom ROM on this phone. I have a 64gb memory card installed, movies, music and comic books (nerd paradise). I am also able to use my IP sniffer, as well as a cadre of networking tools from this phone. I was able to shoot, edit and add music (all on the phone) on video complete with titling sequence. The addition of an HDMI cabling further add value to this device. I know there are those who will compare this to the Samsung Galaxy S3, but if you're going to do that, really do a side by side comparison (or end up paying a restock fee, lol). This phone is great...funny, I haven't even mentioned the phone functions yet. Excellent call quality and this is all still on a 3G network (4G to be installed in 1st/2nd quarter of 2013). Video calling is great with the software correct feature. I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!!
on June 15, 2012
Before I start the review, I'll say where I'm coming from: My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy S2, before that the original Evo, and a Palm Pre before that.

The very first impression you will get from this phone is the feel and look. It's remarkably light, but stills pulls off that solid feel that you normally attribute to weight. The aluminum bezel around the edge of the phone both feels nice and looks chic. As far as the backing is concerned, the bottom rubbery half feels awesome in your hand but I really can't figure out the need for the glossy slick plastic on the top third. The camera lens is recessed, which is a great feature. The kickstand feels way more solid and functional than the ones on the previous iterations of the Evo.

The phone is a bit large, and I have big hands. It's hard to put into words, but it's just a bit awkward to do some things one handed. Really my biggest problem with the size is the location of the power button on the top, which I'd of preferred to see on the side where the volume buttons are (and see them moved to the other side). You won't be able to press the power button from a typing hand position, which makes it a bit more work to shoot a quick text.

Turn it on, and you will see a *pretty good* screen. In honesty it doesn't hold up to the super amoled I was accustomed to on my S2, but it's definitely a gorgeous display and it'd be hard to call it disappointing.

You will then be greeted with the newest flavor of Sense...which I don't really care for. There is typically this annoying little menu bar that hangs out at the very bottom of the display (right below where your spacebar will be). I won't say I miss the 4 button android layout, as I never used the search button...but losing the menu button for the screen switching button is a real source of annoyance. Apps are way less intuitive and that bar at the bottom of the screen has infuriated me. The lock screen is neat though, although I find myself dragging the app that I currently have open into the ring to quick-open it, which re-opens the app and loses the context.

I'm going to rate the speed and responsiveness as *adequate* for a device of this tier (emphasis on that last part). The device is snappy and responsive, but I do notice a slight amount of lag in scrolling sometimes that I did not see in my year old S2. But I mean, when I say lag I am being extremely picky....everything is picky, and it re-columns text very quickly after a resize (a missing feature from my S2 that I desperately missed).

The camera is superb, and the camera app has a lot of neat features. Only nitpick I have about them is the difficulty to switch between main/front camera. I hear a lot of people displeased that the camera button doesn't launch the camera, but I feel that it would be annoying if it did and you couldn't turn it off...I can see it getting pressed accidentally quite frequently.

The battery life has surprised and pleased me, I have no problem making it through a full day. The radio is great, I get much better service than my S2 or first gen Evo.

SUMMARY
--------
Likes:
- The phone feels great and sturdy, build quality is top notch
- The screen puts holds up great against the best displays out there
- Battery Life and Service are very good
- Great camera loaded with features

Dislikes:
- I am not a fan of the new Sense, nor of the lack of menu button
- Phone might be a bit bigger than necessary and button placement could be more convenient