Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 165 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 175 reviews
on March 9, 2014
I have have multiple knee surgeries and had not really been able to run for about 15 years because I have pretty much no cartlige in my knees. I was recommended a chiropractor that specializes in sports med was amazing.

Most every place I went to get fitted for the right running shoe said to buy the $30 insoles (which I did). I went to locally owned running store that bought out about 6 different shoes for me to try. These felt like clouds! I was shocked!

Pros:
- Very reflective (I run about 4am and the streets are very poorly lit)
- Weight less than my bedroom slippers and feel just as good
- I DON'T NEED ADDITIONAL INSOLES WITH THIS SHOE! (Yup, dead serious. The insole in the shoe is PERFECT and my knees are fine after a 5 mile run)
- The price was almost half of what I would pay in the store

Cons:
- I didn't know about these sooner
on August 18, 2013
Same light and comfortable as my old Kinvara 2 pair. Just a warning about the correct sizeing: I have listened to several reviews that recommended to go half a size bigger then usual Saucony size. Even Saucony's own "Show me how it fits ..." web tool recommends the same. Well both of those were wrong. I was size 8 for both Kinvara 2 and Mirage 2 and I am the same size for Virrata. I have initially order 8.5 size, but had to exchange it because it was way too big ...

**UPDATE** Unfortunately after only about 70 miles the middle layer mesh of the right shoe upper tear around the big toe area ... Returning it and probably be going back to Kinvara ...

**UPDATE 1** I have submitted my unfavorable review also on Saucony website - without asking for anything, Saucony contacted me and offered return/replacement ... Must say that I am impressed with their customer service.
on July 6, 2015
These are some of the best training shoes I've ever owned. I've put a lot of milage on them at this point and plan on using them for some time to come. I made a leap of faith here buying the zero drop shoes and just hoping that things would feel good. After using them for many many runs at this point I feel safe saying these shoes give me the most natural feeling runs I've ever had. These shoes just seem to provide the extra support needed to run on concrete/pavement while allowing my feet to do what they do naturally without over correction for pronation or other things that are not actually issues to begin with. I'll only be buying zero drop shoes like this from now on.
on August 4, 2013
I've been using three different Saucony models for training, all of them in the range 220 to 240 grams per shoe. I've been using New Balance Minimus (about 185 grams) for racing 10K and shorter. When I saw these shoes I was hoping to get a lighter version of the Sauconys I use for training.

They were exactly that but at 180 grams per shoe. Compared to the Minimus the Virrate feel like a road training shoe in terms of cushioning. With the Minimus you feel the irregularities of the road and there's essentially no cushioning. Somehow Saucony managed to get to 180 grams but also provide the cushioning and stability I like in the other Saucony models I use.

They are zero drop so be careful to ramp up slowly for that if you are not used to it but this is likely the easiest and safest way to get there.

Highly recommend.
on February 22, 2014
I have been running in minimalist shoes for the past 3 years or so. I really enjoy the increased proprioception and better biomechanics that this style of running shoe affords. I have three pairs of minimalist shoes that have only a few millimeters of rubber between your foot and the ground but I have been looking for a shoe that I could use on longer or faster runs without it changing up the biomechanics I have established. I have tried a number of running shoes to fill this void and I have been unhappy with most: a pair of asics gel nimbus and a pair of brooks pure cadence; neither of which I used for more than a couple runs. I bought a pair of saucony kinvara 2s a couple years ago and they became my go to shoe for marathons and some of my longer or faster runs. I really enjoyed those shoes but I was looking for something more minimalistic and arrived at the virratas. These are a great pair of shoes to have in your arsenal and were everything I was looking for. I can run marathon distance and move at a nice pace without feeling like the shoe is any sort of a hindrance. It allows for smooth proper biomechanics, in part because of the zero drop principal which makes it easier to strike midfoot or forefoot than most running shoes allow. If you are looking for a shoe for the same reasons I would highly suggest the virratas.
on January 9, 2014
These are really great shoes. If you like the Kinvaras, you will most likely like these as well. They are zero drop, so if you are not used to that you may want to take it easy and just do short runs in these to start with lots of calf/achilles stretching in between. You can definitely hurt yourself if you are not used to the low drop. The great thing about these shoes is they have a ton of forefoot cushioning, but are still extremely flexible and very light weight. Not the most roomy toebox, but I didn't have any issues. There is no carbon rubber on the sole, so these probably won't last a lot of miles depending on how you run. I only have about 30 miles on them at this point and the bottom basically looks brand new. These are basically zero drop, lighter weight, more fliexible kinvaras. One of my favorite shoes. I would not run in them every day though as I just need more support from time to time, particularly if I'm already beat up and tired.
on May 29, 2014
I was really nervous about switching shoes. I'm always nervous about switching shoes. I'm 5'8", 145 lbs, neutral foot strike with high arches. I've been running in Kinvara's for several years. Before Kinvara's I was in Triumph's for several years. I've been gradually progressing to more minimal shoes with lower heal drops. I found the Virrata because I was just looking for a cheaper price for Kinvara's and stumbled on them. They were around $45 while Kinvara's normally ran $65 to $75. I decided to give them a try.

I've been running in them for five weeks and I've put 168 miles on them with absolutely no problems. In fact I like them better than my Kinvara's which I thought were great. My runs have included interval training, tempo runs and long runs up to 17 miles. I've even done some single track trail runs in them. They are light and well cushioned and fit me better than my Kinvara's did in the midfoot and toe box. The Virrata's just feel a bit more roomy which works well for me.

If you are looking for a light, minimal, neutral, low to no heel drop shoe with good cushioning I think the Virrata is an excellent choice. And ya gotta like the price. Well done Saucony.
on October 14, 2013
The shoe is one of the best minimalist shoes on the market for the price. It is comfortable, has great ground feel, but maintains some spring and energy return.

I've got about 30 miles on it and it's replaced my Merrell Bare Access entirely, even for gym work. I initially started wearing it for runs and switching to the bare access 2 for indoor workouts after returning from the run, but found that the comfort difference too much to bare. All the complaints that I'd heard about the Merrells were finally noticeable. The hell bump and rough interior.

The Virrata is a very comfortable shoe that doesn't sacrifice performance. The only detriment is the entirely exposed EVA does show some wear (I'm on tough terrain at the moment with no real option otherwise for the short term). Be cognizant of that when purchasing. I'm still likely to put heavier usage on Kinvaras since they are more durable and always a generation ahead as far as material goes. I'll probably keep both in rotation however.

Further edit:

I've decreased my rating to four stars for a few reasons. Upon cleaning the shoes I've removed the sock liner and found that there is a lot of bare stitching inside the shoe, making the sock liner required for barefoot wear. It's not a huge problem, but the sock liner feels overall very cheap.

The wear is as expected. I'm in rough terrain so some wear is expected, though I'm very good on shoes. I've got 300+ miles out of pure eva shoes that had to be tossed due to compression, not actual frictional wear. That being said, they (the vivobarefoot ultra pures) were purchased for about 30 dollars. I feel at the 80 dollar price point there are some better options out there. It's still an impressive shoe, but I can't say I'll be repurchasing, there's just too many good minimal options now.
on December 17, 2013
I am a 63 year old runner; I've been at it since high school. I'm 185 lbs and 6'1" right now, though I've been up to 210 lbs a few years ago. Anyway, I'm reasonably big. As well, I lost the cartilage in my left knee playing football when I was 16. In my 30s, I did a fair amount of race running at 10km and 10mile lengths. My best 10k was just under 6 min/mile. My best 10mi was around 72 mins. I was never great, but not bad. Now, I still do 9-12mi training runs fairly regularly, but my pace is way down from 30 years ago. I've developed a rather gentle style with a fore-foot strike to keep away from stress injuries to my knees.

Anyway, that fore-foot strike has good news and bad news. The bad news is that I tend to get that runners' toe thing going, especially with my big toes. I've found that good shoes are the best prevention and to keep them new. I'd been using Asics for some time now, and I was pretty happy with them; however, after I got another of those runners' toes last summer, I started looking for an alternative. This is my third pair of Sauconys and my favorite so far. The others were the Wave Creation 13. The Virrata is a less expensive shoe, and that's a bonus. I'm thinking I've found my shoe.
on June 26, 2013
Had run in Kinvara's for quite awhile and wanted to transition to a zero drop from the 4 drop Kinvara's. The Virrata fit the bill as it was lightweight and I had hoped it would hold up like my Kinvara's. The fit is spot on, toe box is is tight and overall it is very comfortable. I run between 4-6 miles a day and found these to be very comfortable and easy to break in. I ran about 4 days a week in these shoes. I ran into issues about a month in wear the outside sole started to wear extremely fast, much faster then anticipated. The toebox mesh also began to develop holes by my little toe. I only got about 2 months of wear before having to purchase another pair of Kinvara's, my quest for a more minimalist shoe continues. Maybe the new models will address the durability issues.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.