Industrial Deals Beauty Ghosted Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(5 star). See all 73 reviews
on July 27, 2017
So many places online have been knocking this machine. They say the China stuff is junk and that all the reviews are fake. I've always felt that the truth can be found someplace between the extremes. I am by no means a welder, I do not claim to be. I'm a weekend warrior who goes on YouTube to learn how to do things that I need to get done. I lucked out and had a friend come over who did know how to weld, and he at least got me started. I then went on to weld for about 120 hours over the span of a couple months.

I have been using flux-core wire of many different brands.

Here are my observations:
1) I used the inside of the cover as a guide for settings and found them close to what I needed. Through trial/error/testing I managed to get exactly what I needed. I even managed to weld some very thick plate which was off the charts. These welds have held for a few months now and supported anything thrown at them without issue.
2) I had a ton of feeding issues. I could actually feel the wire binding in the tip and was able to stop it from doing a birds nest. I was spending more time stopping and pulling the wire passed the sticking point than I was actually welding. I tried different wire with no luck, I messed around with the spool and such with no luck. I changed from the tip to one I purchased on here and SUCCESS! Once I swapped the tip I've had no feed issues at all so far.
3) I learned that, if you accidentally press the rubber 'neck' of the gun into sharp metal, it scares the crap out of you when it arcs at that point instead of the tip. Probably my error for not paying attention to edges and such, but it did seem strange to me how easily it melted through.
4) The cup fell off.. the adhesive that secured it to the nut that screws onto the gun melted or something strange happened.. and the cup just fell off. As I wasn't using gas this didn't matter much to me but I'm having trouble finding a cup that I know will fit. I chalk this up to inexperience.
5) The ground seems pretty good to me, I have been cleaning the metal off before attaching it.
6) The unit has not stopped me from working due to a duty cycle. I do hear the fan running a bit and all, but the machine hasn't done anything to stop me from welding like crazy all afternoon. I'm not sure what it's rated for or if it is supposed to shut down and stop me automatically, but I've welded for 30 minutes straight without any sort of issues.
7) The spool inside is a bit weird, the key system doesn't seem to work with the smaller rolls and neither I or the friend that welds could make much sense of if there was some special thing we were missing. It didn't seem to matter because we put the spool of wire on and used the wing-nut and that gave no issue.

To be honest, for what I need, this is a fantastic unit. Just last week my friend had a metal bracket snap on his trailer while he was at my place and, in less than a few minutes, it was back in place and he was off and running. For a guy like me, being able to weld once in a while, no matter what the machine, is awesome. I can't justify going out to buy one of those heavily advertised units that are all over the place, it just makes no sense to shell out $500+ for something that is going to collect dust for half a year or more. Originally, I was looking for someone to weld for me, but even factoring in my cost for this project (machine/metal/supplies/case of beer) I'm still out less money and walked away with a new skill that will serve me in the future. Can't go wrong with that!
2 people found this helpful
Top Contributor: Golfon March 14, 2017
I been a welder for many moons. I looked for a mig/wire feeder for a month looking at all options. It came down to the Hobart or this. I choose this because this unit has an infinitely adjustable heat control and it is superior to all the competitors in performance and build quality. This little deal is solid. I can lay the most pro beads over and over again. Love love love it.
3 people found this helpful
on May 25, 2013
I work as a automotive/diesel technician and was needed a welder to build a flatbed and a bumper on my Toyota. This welder works great!!! I also made a square basket for my tool box to sit in so it wouldn't get damaged from sliding around in the back of my pickup. I bought a cart from ''HFT'' and it fit this welder great and also for some clamps, magnets, gloves, and auto darkening helmet to fit on cart. Oh and I'm buying a bottle of argon, .030" wire and tips today too. Great welder for what I'll be using it for. I Suggest to you unless our a professional looking for a giant welder. Thanks for reading
21 people found this helpful
on April 25, 2017
Just as good as the Hobart & Lincoln 140's. wire feed mechanism was upgraded to a metal type feed compared to the previous plastic feed. Welds 3/16" metal fine and the voltage was only set on 6. Waiting on the spool gun to arrive, I'll update after testing.
review imagereview image
2 people found this helpful
on June 23, 2016
Got this thing to get into a very small and tight place on a job I was doing.My big 220 volt was way to big.It burns flux core wire very well.I was going to give the welder to my friend,but it welds so good I will keep it in my shop for small jobs.
on August 16, 2013
Have always wanted a little meg welder similar to the one I used a work. Every time I went out shopping for one, the 5 to 6 hundred dollar price tag versus the amount of welding I was going to do stopped me from buying one.
With the savings on this machine, I was able to get a cart, bottle of gas, gloves and quick acting shield helmet.
I found that the reostat controls for the wire feed and temperature control are very similar to the top end machines. The instructions were very easy to follow and in no time at all the machine was ready to go.
My first project was welding back together a metal hand rail damage by tenets. I followed temperature settings but found them a little too hot. Buy adjusting the reostat slightly lower, I was off and running. After ten years of not having touched a welder, it all came back pretty fast using this machine!
on September 29, 2016
Great price and great welder
on January 5, 2016
My husband couldn't be happier with this. He has made a lot of things with it. Can't wait to get a better spot for him to use it more!
on November 18, 2015
I've been using one of these little guys for a few years now with no issues. I've never used it with Flux Core however as I own two other machines dedicated to that purpose, but the gas side of this equation works just fine. I keep it on a dedicated cart with an 80 cu ft bottle. The gages that come with it work fine, again I have no issues with them either. All in all, it's a great little welder for the price. I think it works just as well as any of the big name units that I've used. I just recently picked up the optionally available spool gun for doing aluminum work, but I haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet. If it works as good as the welder, I'll be a happy camper.
I would and have recommended this unit to others.
One person found this helpful
on March 28, 2017
Frankly, I expected an economically priced welder but what I got was so much more. I love this welder it is comparable to the Lincoln welder I
used at work and hundreds cheaper. Great product!!
|11 comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.