Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony Xperia U ST25A-WY Unlocked Phone with Android 2.3 OS and 3.5-Inch Touchscreen--U.S. Warranty (White/Yellow)
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on November 11, 2012
This is my first smartphone, bought to use with straight talk. Did not plan to do a lot of browsing. This fit my budget for a 2012-release phone and the Xperia phones have good customer satisfaction. It came down to the U or the P, which is a fair amount pricier but the same phone (processor) with more memory and an SD slot plus a slightly larger screen. ignored friend's advice that I get the pricier phone for the additional memory (he's a gamer), and so far I don't regret it. Lots of memory left ovcr for the several apps I have installed, and no need for an external SD card if you aren't into video or music. Even then, there's the Cloud if you have wi-fi. Reception is good and calls are clear. typing is definitely a little cramped on the 3.5" screen, but it has an auto landscape mode that makes it acceptable. If you are a texter or use a huge number of apps, the P might make sense. I'm good with this

Upsides: great price for the CPU and graphics. great look and feel. comes with a sony screen protector but no case, which is needed as it is a delicate little thing. would be a great phone for someone with delicate fingers, I get by. says you can upgrade to ICS but I have enough trouble figuring out 2.3 so until it is clear the upgrade is needed I'll stick with it

Downside: battery life is limited. My old flip phone used to hold a charge for most of a week, and this one needs daily feeding, more if you leave the wifi on. I am sure the color stripe (which has no perceivable useful function and cannot be turned off) has some role in this, but a 1200 mA-hr cell doesn't go far . Wonder if it will accept larger cells.

An excellent phone, would buy again. Comes with a 12 month Sony warranty in original box and shrink wrap. Nicer than the Motorola Atrix I demoed, despite having a slightly narrower screen

Addendum: have seen other reviewers comment on damage to the phone. This is a fairly delicate plastic-body and screen phone. One would be foolish not to clad it in a case + screen protector. The Ecell case (available on Amazon for about $5) is really nice as a minimalist case, and will protect as well as make it less likely to drop the phone. There are also some beefier cases out there.

Addendum #2" I wear Carharrt pants with side-leg cell phone pockets and even with the case, this phone fits in there like a glove. Try that Samsung S II
on September 24, 2013
The fact that the Facebook app comes pre-installed with ALL permissions and is running at all times in the background is extremely annoying. But if you upgrade the OS from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich, you can suspend those annoying apps. Light bar is cute but sometimes annoying when you light up a dark theater looking at a text -- of course you can set your phone to vibrate so as not to disturb others, but there seems to be no way to shut off the light bar.
No slots to insert your memory card. Camera is pretty darn decent, very lightweight phone as well. Great value for the price.

EDIT -- To get your text messages working properly with AT&T, you may have to play with the Access Point settings. Find the wrench and screwdriver "Settings" icon. Press it, then under "Wireless & Networks" select "more". Press "Mobile Networks", then "Access Point Names" (APNs). You can do a web search for AT&T APN settings, or whichever carrier you use, and you can create multiple profiles until you find the setting that works. I called AT&T when I couldn't get my multimedia text messages, and when I mentioned I'd bought the phone on Amazon instead of the AT&T store, they said "well then we can't help you" and practically hung up on me.
on August 16, 2014
I love my phone! I had one previously, but it took an unfortunate tumble, so I had to replace it, hence ordering it here on Amazon. It's a really rad phone - the light feature on the bottom is very unique and has started many conversations with strangers. I will admit that over time, it has slowed down some, but I stand by it 100%! As an interesting side note, it's the same phone Gwen Stacey has in The Amazing Spider Man 2. ;)
on June 4, 2014
Yep I love this phone....though I got the white and yellow, it came with a white, black and yellow base. The light at the bottom shines a variety of colors...right now it's on pink. I like using my phone.....great software and works fine....internal antenna is great for good call reception. The battery life has been good but it dies quickly with much app use....the speaker works well.....all in all a great phone for the average user like me....
on November 11, 2012
Not much to say! Nice phone but very disappointed to find out that 3G does not work with AT&T when it should be the case according to the product description!!! And I just reached the return window!! This is not right to give people false information.
on September 16, 2013
I purchased this phone to use with my straight talk Sim card. Everything would have been great if the phone would have recognized my Sim. Unfortunately it did not. I thought that maybe there was an issue with my Sim card so I purchased a new duplicate Sim and the phone still did not recognize it. Needless to say, I returned the phone for a refund. Buyers beware...
on November 8, 2012
I got this phone for $160 from Amazon lightning deal and I am very happy with this purchase.

Pros,
Size: phone is small so it is very convenient to carry around
Screen: screen is visible outside under sunlight. Touchscreen is very responsive.
System upgradable: overall it is a good experience. It took me about 20 mins to upgrade. Although I did notice some 1-2secs lags after upgrading, that is totally acceptable for me.
Battery life: for moderate-heavy use (call, text, web browsing and app downloading), my phone lasts me a day and a half, which is great. Note you can also buy a replace battery from eBay for around 10 dollars.

Cons,
The bottom LED light: it's a battery drainer although I like the idea. I have no idea how to turn it completely off.
Storage: only 4GB available.
Camera: speed is way too slow! It took like 3sec to turn on camera and 5sec to take a picture. I will never take pictures using this phone. Also I have no idea how the dedicated camera bottom works

Overall this is a great basic smartphone
on March 10, 2013
I bought it for my wife, so that she can make the transition from a Blackberry 9780.
It came in a box directly from sony, it has an interchangeable tip so you can change it between a wihite or yellow tip.
The sysop is ice cream sandwich but using the Sony PC Companion you can upgrade it to Jelly Bean in an hour or so.
Very good camera you can even yake panoramic photos, Skype works perfectly, with this phone you can open a Box account and have it upgrade to a 50Gb for life.
It's a little thinner and lighter than my Iphone 4s, if i didn't had the Iphone i would by one for me.
Its perfect for people who doesnt like big phones, i does almost same things that a S2, S3 or a I4s do.
The downside, if you have the geolocation enabled the battery lasts about 4 hrs, but with mi Iphone 4s its almos the same.
Good buy
on May 10, 2013
In the beginning, it was fast and responsive. Everything reacted very fast.
But after I upgraded it with ICS, the phone became very slow.
Basic functions (open dialing, contacts, camera, album) needs to wait for 3~5 second. Sometimes the camera crashes due to memory problem.
I regret upgrading OS to ICS. Maybe RAM is not enough for ICS.
on October 13, 2012
I've only had this phone for a day. First impressions are:

Screen: It's bright and nice. Not as nice as my previous Nokia E7 (About 4 inches), but good enough for a $200 phone.

Processor: Brilliant. Quick and responsive. Android 4.0 running now and all apps work as a breeze. Words with Friends, Draw Something, and Facebook messenger running together with no lag. My friends with iPhones have told me that this phone is quicker than theirs.

OS: Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Good.

Battery: The battery does not last "long". By long I mean I played games all day and the battery was out by 2 AM. I don't think any other phone would've lasted longer though (definitely lasts longer than any i device)

Camera: Is not that great compared to my Nokia E7 (8 MP). But, still okay. Nothing too bad.