BCA Month Salon Beauty Ali: A Life Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on January 20, 2015
This phone had several flaws, which is why I finally returned it:

1. The GPS didn't initially work - I needed to tighten the screws on the back of the phone to get it working.
2. The charging time was abysmal - the stock battery (and even a 3rd Party replacement battery) took about 20 hours to charge from 30% to 95% (I was using the charger plug and cord that came with the phone).
3. The OS (Kit Kat 4.2.2) was incredibly sluggish right from the start.

I've worked in I.T. for almost 20 years, and have seen a lot of crappy products come and go, yet this phone was the worst smartphone experience I've ever had.
on August 26, 2013
I really haven't messed with it too much to learn about all of the bells & whistles. The only complaint I have is it's bigger than I'm use to. It does take awesome photos though!
on March 21, 2016
He is happy with it ,just wish it could be a bigger phone
on February 16, 2016
I hate this phone it was 60$ and now that wont 110$
on March 19, 2016
Good product.
on July 15, 2012
The US version of the phone differs as it has a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Processor with 1.5 GHz Dual-Core CPUs, while the the rest of the hardware specs are the same as the international version.

I switched from an HTC EVO 4G to get this phone and so far it's been great! Here are the things I like about the phone:

* The phone is a nice size, it's lighter than my HTC EVO 4G.
* The processor is one of the fastest US released Android phone, and it comes with 2 GB of RAM.
* I played around with the camera and video camera and the quality is great in my opinion. (I'll post some pics or a video later.)
* The ICS 4.0 is really snappy and it opens up applications quickly.
* It comes with Google Wallet. I signed up and got a free $10 to use. (I'm going to McDonald's to test it out!)
* I've only use the S Voice application a few times, but it seems to be just like Siri on my wife's iPhone 4S.
* It comes with a micro SD slot in case more space is needed to save pictures, videos, etc.
* You can change out the battery if needed.
* Battery life last twice as long compared to my HTC EVO 4G.

Now for some cons:

* This is carrier related and not the phone itself, but the 4G LTE is not all in all areas so be sure to check your carrier if internet speeds is a deciding factor in purchasing this phone. If not you'll be stuck with 3G speeds.
* The phone is so nice, that I baby it all the time!

I was on the fence about getting this phone or the HTC EVO 4G LTE aka HTC One X. The main things that I like over the the Samsung Galaxy 3 over the HTC EVO 4G LTE is that it comes with the Micro SD slot and also the battery can be changed if it ever goes bad.

I love this phone! :)
44 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
I just upgraded from an original Droid X running Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread) to this beast -- it's a big step up. I loved my Droid X -- it was very well made, it had great call quality as a phone, and I really like Android, the Droid X being my first Android phone (I was a die-hard Palm user from the old days). Over time, I had figured out how to make my Droid X mimic the functionality of a PDA, but the old girl was starting to show her age. The single core processor was having a tough time keeping up with the stuff I was doing. I rarely have time to play games -- the phone to me is my electronic briefcase while I'm on the road away from my laptop. At first, I thought the GS3 was too big, but on subsequent trips to the stores it started to grow on me. ICS is really nice compared to Gingerbread -- lots of bugs fixed, lots of added niceties, and a much smoother and logical UI. The phone is more than capable of running whatever you throw at it without so much as a hiccup -- the processor is very fast, it has a lot of memory, the screen is possibly better than the Apple's, and the battery life is pretty good when using the power saving features that Sammy supplies. I've been using the phone for about a week, and I'm still impressed every time I pick it up and use it. The build quality isn't as high as the Motorola, but that's not to say that the phone isn't well made. I purchased a Seidio Convert case for the phone, which is excellent, and really compliments the whole package. The 4G screams compared with 3G, and the call quality is excellent, although the volume isn't as loud as the Droid X. Moving my data from the Droid involved a number of steps, but everything worked fine (non-root user here). The contacts were pulled directly from Google, my apps were restored using My Backup Pro from my SD card, as was the app data. It took me about 2 days to get the phone setup to the point where I felt comfortable using it on a daily basis. The battery life is pretty good, and I do see a big difference in power consumption when on WiFi (home, work) as opposed to 4G. Using it moderately on predominantly WiFi, the phone will still have 50 - 60% of a charge left in the evening. With the same use on 4G the phone will be down to 30 - 40% by evening. Considering the processing power, that's pretty close to what I would get from my Droid X at less than half the speed. All in all, a great package that should serve well for quite a few years. The phone reeks of the sweat that went into creating this monster, and it's a pleasure to use. Recommended.

** 10/13/2012 Update **

The battery life is better than I originally thought. The Samsung power saving feature really squeezes every last bit out of the stock battery. At home, on WiFi all day, with the phone on from 7am until 11pm, the battery has a 60 - 70% charge left. Out and about using 4G, the battery will have 50 - 60% charge by evening. Using it very heavily during the first week of ownership, the lowest the battery ever reached was 35%, and that was after 2 hours of constant WiFi transmission while I was backing up my phone apps + data to my main rig at home. The stock battery performance blows away the high output battery of my old Droid X (1750 mAh), which I have routinely killed before getting home -- and I'm not a heavy user on a regular basis. I'm impressed.

** Update 12/3/2012 **

Amazing phone. Learning curve was about 1 or 2 weeks, coming from Gingerbread. Plenty of processing power, beautiful display, great call quality, gorgeous design, decent battery life, great OS -- what more can one ask for. The phone is a pleasure to use. It's good to be king.
on October 14, 2012
I like this phone a lot. I have had Android phones and a tablet, so I am familiar. My biggest beef, I won't say problem, is the lag with touch. I hate touching something with the intent of it working, and it doesn't. So I touch it again and it opens and shuts. That seems to be a Samsung thing more than anything else. NOT a deal breaker, and any suggestions would be welcomed. The ever annoying predictive crap is easily turned off. I never found it to randomly change time like someone else said, but I did find the iPhone 5 to do this 3 to 5 times a day. I took that back, like this one better. One problem I have encountered is from the open phone keyboard when I try to select something from a list of contacts, it goes black each time I try to touch it. This has happened twice with no explanation. Then it works again. Some of the preinstalled crap I could do without, but that is also easily disabled. My biggest problem was the battery life. The first week I would charge and by 6 pm it would need to charge again. Once charged I would unplug it and it would sit till morning. With no use, by morning I lost 30% of the charge. Then it started going dead at 4 hours, and upon recharge it was down 50% in 2 hours. I did some Googling, and found many people with this problem. One person said there is a bug that won't allow it to go into a deep sleep, not sure I know what that is, and it will cause an app to remain open and drain battery. That suggestion was to reboot immediately after charging. I did so, and right now my phone has 33% remaining after 38 hours. Woohoo! Screen is beautiful! I like it. Any suggestions from anyone who's figured some of this stuff out are welcome.
on July 26, 2012
Pros:
* Large, beautiful Screen
* Very Light
* Fast response
* Great connection speeds, so far
* MicroSD expansion
* User-replaceable battery

Cons:
* Radio app not included, unlike international version
* Expensive
* Virtual keyboard can be touchy (but probably more me than the phone)

Overall I really like the phone and plan to use it for years to come.
on March 26, 2013
The phone is OK. We also tried a Droid RAZR MAXX HD. By comparison, the galaxy feels much better in my hands as I found the size of the RAZR to be a bit awkward. The display is great, very vibrant. The case is incredibly flimsy - I thought I was going to break it when I tried to pry it off to insert the battery. Compared to the RAZR, this phone seems like a kids toy. We invested in some Otterbox cases which might not have been necessary with the RAZR. The camera is very good, phone is fast and the battery lasts about 1/2 - 3/4 of a day with normal use. You definitely need a back up battery or a place to plug in for a few minutes. It does quick charge very fast which helps.

I also have an issue connecting the bluetooth on this phone to my 2013 Subaru Impreza. I need to manually connect the phone to the bluetooth each time I start the car - it's really annoying.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question