Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on October 19, 2012
My first smartphone was a pink blackberry pearl back in the day when only 30% of cell phone users had smartphones. Then I upgraded to the iPhone 4. I had an iPod touch and really wanted an iPhone and when Verizon finally was able to have the iPhone 4, I preordered it. After using the iPhone 4 for nearly 2 years, and after seeing the new iPhone 5, I was really disappointed. It looked pretty much the same, just longer and with a smaller port. It was faster than 4 or 4s, but I still wasn't impressed. I decided to go for the S3 after reading reviews and playing with it in the store. I'm glad I did. Here's why:

*The screen is a fantastic size. It dwarfs the iPhone 4/4s and makes the 5 look silly. It's a great size for viewing web content, emails, videos, photos, etc. It's not too big that it feels awkward in your hand. I have pretty small hands and I can do most things with just my thumb, though typing is difficult. But I wasn't even able to type using my thumb on my iPhone, so no big deal.

*Speed: The processor is incredibly fast. I can run multiple applications at once and switch between them seamlessly. And the 4G/LTE is AMAZING. When a friend switched from a 3G phone to a 4G phone, she said she couldn't tell much of a difference. Maybe it's the LTE, I don't know. All I know is that when I've downloaded apps on the go, they download just as fast - maybe even faster - than when my phone is connected to my N-router. On my iPhone with 3G, sometimes it took FOREVER to download apps or web content and it was frustrating.

*Battery and MicroSD card: The battery life is decent. I think my iPhone 4 had better battery life in the beginning, but definitely not towards the end. I was lucky if it would last the day. The S3 usually has 30-35% left at the end of the day and I play with it a lot. I also like that the battery can be switched out if it goes bad and a mircoSD card can be used to expand storage. With many phones, one must either send the phone in to have the battery switched out (if under warranty, otherwise it'll cost you) or learn to deal with the failing battery life. And with iPhones (and iPads and iPods), one isn't able to expand storage. Note that if you buy the battery with more charge, you'll have to have a different back cover and your case (if you've purchased one) will no longer fit. A friend of mine purchased the extra capacity battery and it's a little bigger so it came with an extra back cover. Her case (an expensive otterbox) would no longer fit. Just FYI.

*Weight: The phone is REALLY light for how large it seems in comparison to the iPhone 4. It weighs a lot less than a friend's Thunderbolt and I think it weighs less than my iPhone did. It doesn't weigh my pants or my purse down at all.

*S-Voice vs. Siri: Essentially, they're the same thing. I jailbroke my iPhone 4 and was able to add Siri. Siri has a nicer voice - it's less robotic sounding. However, neither Siri nor S-Voice are perfect. They both make weird mistakes at times. Using the voice-to-text on the S3 seems more responsive than with the iPhone though. For me, neither S-voice or Siri are essential. I have used it at work before to set a reminder (iPhone) or task (S3) when I don't have the time to type it in. The S-voice is faster with processing this as well. However, remember that I was using Siri on a JB iPhone 4, which it was never meant to be used on - the iPhone 4 processor is slower than the 4s so Siri wasn't working at full capacity on my phone.

*Personalization: If you've never used Android before, you will be pleasantly surprised. I was able to personalize every inch of my phone easily and within minutes of first turning it on. Granted, I downloaded an app (GO Launcher EX) to help with this - but the iPhone only allows the user to change the wallpaper. On the S3, all I have to do to change an icon is to download a theme (which will automatically change certain icons, depending on the theme) and then long hold an icon and click "replace" and select from a list of available icons. With an iPhone, you must jailbreak it to change the icons. And if there's icons that didn't automatically change, you have to connect the iPhone to the computer and SHSH into the phone to change them. PITA.

My only gripe is that Verizon won't allow users to use Google Wallet. I think this is absolutely stupid, especially since users on other networks were able to sign up for Google Wallet and get a $10 bonus. I'm hoping that the wallet app that Verizon is supporting, Isis, gives new users a bonus as well.

All-in-all, I'm very satisfied with this phone. I wouldn't switch back to the iPhone 4 if someone paid me. The best part? I found a website that was willing to buy my used iPhone for $30 more than what I spent on my S3! As for all the errors others have experienced, I've never had those problems. No network issues, no sim card errors. I've had this phone since 10-07-12.
on August 12, 2012
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is without a doubt the best phone for ME. Before you purchase this phone I urge you to really think about your needs, and stack them against this review. This review is based on an unrooted phone on Verizon Wireless. If you don't feel like reading all of the specifics, skip down to the end and just check out the pros and cons.

Feel/Design
The body of the Verizon Galaxy S3 is very smooth and fits well in your hand; it is a plastic build which allows the phone to remain light. I personally am terrified of dropping it due to the case. I purchased a silicone case just to keep the back scratch free and provide a little cushion in case dropped. The power button is located on the right side of the phone near the top, and a volume rocker is located on the left side near the top. There is a home button on the front of the screen near the bottom on the center. Very simple. One small complaint is the battery cover: you have to somewhat pry it off starting with a little slip on top center of the phone. Directly left of that is the headphone input. Another disappointment to me is the way the speaker is placed; it's on the rear of the phone and if you have the phone on a flat table, it muffles the sound from the speaker.

Screen
You're going to be working with a 4.8-inch Super AMOLED HD display. It's an amazing display. Much more bright than my wife's iPhone 4S. It seems to have a more crisp look. If you aren't used to a large screen, the S3 will take a little getting used to. Coming from an original Motorola Droid, I was a little offput by the large size of this phone. In the month that I've had it I've gotten so used to it that now when I pick up my iPod touch, my immediate reaction is, "why did they design this screen so small?" It is also worth noting that the screen is made from Gorilla Glass 2

Performance
1.5 GHz S4 processor and 2GB of RAM? Yes please. I have never had so much as a hiccup with this phone, despite running as many memory intensive programs and games as I can. The home screens run smoothly even using Go Launcher as a home replacement. I haven't found a thing that my S3 can't run flawlessly.

Connectivity (Signal Strength)
I'm currently in San Diego, CA. The only time I do not get 4G is when I'm on the island of Coronado, and even then it just cuts in and out. Everywhere else I have been in San Diego, I get exceptional service. Doing a speed test, I routinely get around 12 Mbps; that is as fast as my home internet connection.

Battery Life
2100 mAh battery. Doing a looped video test, I can squeeze about 9 hours 15 minutes out of my phone. The only time my battery life isn't wonderful is when the phone is maxed out searching for signal on Coronado. Moderate use: playing games, making calls, using Tapatalk, checking my Google+, Twitter, Flipboard, and reading other news articles, I can usually get a good 16 hours of battery life.

OS
I could write several pages just on how much better ICS is than any other Android build I've used, but I'm going to leave it to you to research this. The ability to customize my phone is invaluable to me, which is why I always choose Android over Apple.

Camera
8-megapixel rear camera, 1.9-megapixel front camera. One of the biggest reasons I wanted a phone upgrade was the camera. The Motorola Droid camera was so slow that it made capturing unique moments nearly impossible. The speed on the S3 camera is stellar. The dual-core cpu does a great job at giving great speed and performance with virtually no lag. The quality of the pictures is also fantastic. My S3 outperforms my wife's iPhone 4S in picture quality by far.

Gimmicks
S Voice - The microphone picks up too much ambient noise, especially when driving. When in quiet places, I generally have a pretty good success rate when using S Voice, but I'm really hoping when Jellybean gets pushed to the S3 that Google Now will really pick up the slack.
Pop Up Play - I've never used it, as I see no practical use in it.
Share Shot - would be a great feature if the only phone in the world was the S3

Pros
Beautiful screen
Gorilla Glass 2
Smooth running OS
Speedy, high quality camera
4G
Robust customization options
Fast GPS lock (I didn't mention this in the review, but the GPS lock on this phone is incredibly fast)

Cons
Locked Bootloader (Verizon only)
No Google Wallet (such a horrible move on Verizon's part)
Battery cover hard to remove (minor complaint but still worth noting especially if you ever need to change your battery)
Speaker placement

Conclusion: You would be a wise man indeed to purchase a Samsung Galaxy S3. The only reason to not buy an S3 is if you're an Apple Fanboy.
on October 9, 2012
I have owned the phone for about a month now. Has many nice features but there is always a 10% chance that something (mainly mobile data/GPS) wont work right away. Dont know how much of this is a Verizon model specific issue.
Pros
1. The display - generally great with some over-saturation of colors. If you have average sized hands (for a man), then the phone isnt too big to handle. It is actually quite sleek and light and would also fit easily into trouser pockets. The large screen you get in return is totally worth it - makes reading, watching clips etc much more enjoyable. I have barely used my ipad since and would now be hard to go to a phone with a smaller screen.
2. Respectable battery life. Can get about 20 hours on a single charge, doing primarily email, browsing and a few calls using supplied battery.
3. Camera is solid.
4. Some nice new features (Smart Stay - works about 75% of time but is still pretty nifty). Kies air - sync your phone over Wifi.
5. Seamless switching between Wifi and Mobile Data.
6. Fast.
7. Great music and sound quality.
8. SD Card expandable. Easy to find replacement/extended batteries.
9. T9 trace/swype works well.
Cons
1. Weaker Reception - When on 3G, data speed is slower than my 3G - HTC . Also often fails to receive 3G data signal when a Blackberry and the HTC also on Verizon seem to manage okay.
2. Lousy 3G-4G transition - Often indicates to be on 4G but then fails miserably when a data request is made. Takes over a minute to switch to 3G. From time to time, gets stuck in 3G and wouldnt switch to 4G even if you go to a strong 4G area. Nothing short of a wholesale restart would make it go to 4G. Dont know how much of this is a Verizon issue. I have changed SIM cards once, but the problem recurred.
3. Can get uncomfortably warm.
4. Interface - This is mixed. Some elements (quick access pull-down bar, ability to hide bloatware, shortcuts) are handy, others poorly thought of. Given the large form-factor, a soft home button would have been much better than the physical one. Also the default setting is for a double tap home to launch S-Voice. This leads to a pretty slow response time if you just need to single tap to go to home screen. It is a setting easy to change, but illustrates that usability wasnt always thought through in designing the interface. The stock dialer is also lacking.
5. GPS is generally very slow to lock. Often requires launching test/daignostics apps.
6. Verizon bloatware are a power hog. Need to kill them manually from task manager whenever you restart.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I switched from the 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus to the 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm glad I waited until the black color was released. The phone is beautiful in the black finish. Overall compared to the Galaxy Nexus the S3 has a better display, faster speed and a bunch of cool features in the touch wiz that the Galaxy Nexus does not have. I can't wait for the Jelly Bean update for the S3. If you're considering an Android on the Verizon network, I highly recommend the Galaxy S3.
on August 30, 2012
Im really not one to write reviews. I got this phone from amazon over two weeks ago.

Arrival:It arrived within just 2 days.

Aesthetic: It looks really amazing the stupid picture on amazon doesn't do it justice at all.

Performance: omg wow. I can't believe we've made it this far in engineering (even with all the obstacles retarding our way like patents and copy 'rights'). This phone performs basically as fast as my computer and even has a task manager lol. Multitasking is superb as well; you can call and search the web or listen to your navigation while ur on the phone...ridiculous!

Voice Interface: I'd estimate like a 96-98% accuracy of the Google voice search (which is EXTREMELY high and crushes "siri" any day). The S-Voice function is also really good but it's slow so I use the google one.

Web: Searching the web is faster than my cable company and its super fast as mentioned. No need to write anything else.

Entertainment: Freaking awesome for music, movies, seriously anything. You can arrange your songs/movies according to folders or anything else you like..

Picture/camera: awesome organization, can be according to faces, dates, anything really...Superb quality..really the best and easiest camera to work with by far. The fact that u can so easily switch between recording and picture taking is so awesome.

Security: you can set it at whatever level of security you want: pins, face recognition, voice recognition, etc...

Apps: it has any app you can possible want like recording phone calls, changing your voice, recording class lecture, games, academics...etc. and installations are faster than any other phone i promise (including iphone for sure)

Other notes: (I had the Galaxy Sii and i hated it. This phone with small tweaks which make a huge difference has really become a new phone)

I really love this phone..i hope you find my review useful cause i spent time to write it for you people that are deciding ...best of success to you in choosing.
on November 18, 2012
I recently purchased three of these phones to outfit the family. In a word, they are terrific. The phones operate flawlessly, and have a host of features, "apps," and "widgets" that are not only cool, but make organizing and accomplishing necessary daily tasks and routines much easier. The phone is very elegant and stylish, but we have all three cocooned inside Otterbox cases that we purchased from Amazon. I thought this was a much less expensive alternative than the $11 per month PER PHONE that Verizon wanted to charge for insurance. Only time will tell if this was a good decision, but as of now we are very satisified with the phones and its accessories (all of which we purchased from Amazon). All in all, the Samsung Galaxy SIII is an impressive package. Even my son - previously a die-hard Apple iPhone proponent - has switched to Samsung. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on September 15, 2012
This is an incredible phone. It has exceeded my expectations! Its zippy, has a beautiful screen and is a perfect size. At first, when you look at it, it seems too big but after you use it a few times you realize the screen size is perfect. It fits in my pocket easily and is very light. I actually purchased the extended battery and cover from hyperion which help give it some weight. I actually prefer that extra weight on it and the new hyperion battery now lasts double the time. I have not had any issues about the "error with sim card". That really sounds like a Verizon wireless problem and I hope they resolve the issue quickly so that more people can enjoy this great phone. I had sold my iphone 4S and was going to purchase the Iphone 5 but unfortunately for Apple I picked this beautiful phone up and never looked back. I highly recommend it as it is very customizable and a joy to use. With its big screen, I can now enjoy watching a movie or a T.V. show while I'm on the go. Get it! You won't regret it after you learn android OS. By the way, the S3 will be receiving the updated Android OS "Jelly Bean" in October. I'm sure it will make this great phone even better once the update rolls out.

Edit*** Verizon rolled out an update today September 17, 2012 that fixes the sim card error reported in some of the reviews here.
on August 8, 2012
The phone is great, battery life, display, form factor are all fantastic. I would have given a 5 star review if it weren't for the bugs. Drive mode doesn't work for me at all. Tried everything I could to get it to work, even load my contact information on to my phone instead of syncing from google. Still a no go.

But my biggest gripe with the phone is when I send text messages. My messages fail to send and shortly after kicks me off the network and "no SIM" message pops up on the taskbar. It's an issue that seems to be plaguing a decent amount of users. Verizon claims Samsung is working on a update since it's a new phone, and with new phones, bugs are common. Whatever the case may be, it's an issue that needs to be resolved.

I did not buy the phone from Amazon, so it's not a review on the service, but on the device itself.
[...]
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 14, 2012
This is IMO the best android phone to date. It has a few minor bugs that could easily be ironed out with a update from the manufacturer. I will suggest one thing to do to make this phone run to its fullest potential, get rid of touchwiz by using either the Apex Launcher, or NovaLauncher. Those two launchers are specifically made for the current version of android (ICS). Do not use GO Launcher. Now for the list of things that make this phone the best android phone to date.

The S4 processor with two gigs of ram.
The Large 4.8 inch screen, which more than holds it own against all comers.
The Camera is the best camera you can get on a phone right now bar none.
The Battery life is the best on a smartphone outside of the Maxx, one suggestion would be to limit your background processes by going into developer options and change how many background processes your phone will allow.
The Gesture controls are a very nice touch.
The form factor is very sleek and sexy.

Now for a list of things I don't like quite as much.

The power button seems a bit flimsy to me, makes me wonder how it will hold up for two years.
The signal is not quite as good as it should be for a phone made in 2012, but it is still very solid nonetheless. I get better signal than I did on my Nexus.
Touchwiz is a bit clunky; but as I mentioned above that can be easily remedied by using Apex or Nova.

Overall, I would recommend this phone to ANYONE. I have had a lot of Android phones over the last few years, and this is far and away the best I've ever had.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2012
This phone is the best. It outperforms the iPhone every time. Although SVoice isn't the best, it has other features to make up for it. One thing I have been noticing is it overheating whenever I'm not using it. I recommend this phone to anyone, just go for the 32gb because 16gb fills up quickly.