on September 14, 2012
I upgraded from a Droid Incredible a few weeks ago. I love the Galaxy S3 for its larger screen, snappy operation and slim form factor. I use it as a GPS, MP3 player, e-book reader, movie player, e-mail, web research, alarm clock--oh yeah, occasionally as a phone. Typically I have 40-50% battery power left after 16 hours with the stock battery. It contains a decent camera with the capability of motoring off a string of photos by holding down the shutter release. Also, you can shoot amazing panoramas in moments. Nice!

I'm using Verizon so, of course, there is the usual loathsome crapware Verizon loads on everything. This junk cannot be uninstalled. Also, Samsung felt free to load its own steaming pile of junk on top of the Verizon stuff. And watch out for the Google+ app. Its default setting uploads your photos into the cloud, which can be disastrous away from WiFi on a limited data plan.

Neat phone, though, with some spiffy advanced features. Many are of marginal use (to me), but I quite like the feature that keeps the screen active as long as it "sees" your face with the front camera. Also, the NFC sensor is cool. I bought a five-pack of Samsung's TecTiles and downloaded the free "NFC Task Launcher" to program the tiles to perform various tedious tasks--like turn off WiFi and turn on Bluetooth when getting into the car. The new iPhone 5 doesn't have NFC--neener-neener!

------------

That said, I had a very weird problem with my original Galaxy S3, then a replacement Galaxy S3. They both locked up--hard!--then started seriously overheating when I turned the phone off, then on. When it happened the first time, I thought it was a bad phone, so I replaced it. The same thing happened again with the new phone after I loaded standard apps if I shut the phone off, then on. It would go into a constant reboot sequence and lock the screen. Battery would drain 10-15% in an hour and the case would get HOT! Issue would NOT resolve itself even if I pulled the battery!

I didn't load any weird apps, just my usual stuff from the Google Play Store. One week I had to do a factory reset FIVE times! Now I am terrified to turn my phone off. Everything works fine so long as I ALWAYS leave it on. Searching the web, this peculiar problem seems very unusual.

***I would love to hear from anyone who could offer insight into this weird issue!***

UPDATE--I suspect it is an issue with that lame Facebook app. I loaded Facebook and the phone experienced severe battery drain and overheating. Removed Facebook, problem disappeared. Hmmm.

------------

UPDATE 2--I've owned the Samsung Galaxy S III for several months now and it works perfectly. There have been two software/firmware upgrades for the Galaxy S III, and Facebook finally fixed its buggy app.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2012
The new Samsung Galaxy III has blown me away. I have been a Sprint subscriber for 13 years and used only Samsung phones initially. Due to work related requirements, I switched to the Blackberry for the past four years. Well, the BB died on Friday and now resides where dead BBs go.

I feel as if I have been hurled into the 22nd Century! I do not have ample words to describe my joy and pleasure with my new Sam Gal III! I am in love with this new device. Granted, I am still learning, however, I am absolutely smitten by the ease of use and sheer simplicity of the phone. So far the calls are great and everything is humming along smoothly.

My single complaint and is not about the phone, I don't think. When the tech at Radio Shack transfered my contacts, many are now showing two and up to four times. By the way, the phone has a great "join" feature that is helpful. I can only wonder if they were already in the BB in multiples.

I will be back in about a month after the honeymoon to let you know if we are still a happy couple. In the meantime, I rate this puppy 5 stars!
on November 9, 2012
I've owned a mobile phone with just about every OS in the smartphone era with the exception of Windows Phone 7/8 and the Galaxy S III is my favorite total package of hardware and software that I have ever owned.

I'm going to write this from the point of view of someone switching from iOS to Android because my last phone was the iPhone 4, which was very solid yet unexciting. I hate having what everyone else has but at the time it was so far and away the best phone available on Verizon that I had to get it. Prior to that I owned a Palm Pre+ (amazing OS, no apps), the original Motorola Droid(Android was too raw at that point), a Blackberry Storm (God awful, dare I say the beginning of the end) and a Palm Centro and Treo 650 (I miss Palm.)

The OS:
Android has come a long way since the Droid. I hated that phone more than any I've owned and sold it before my contract was up to get the Pre, which coincidentally from a pure OS standpoint was the best. While iOS and Android may appear quite similar the customizability of Android takes the cake. One thing I really didn't like about iOS was that you could do nothing to get rid of apps I would never use. Now, don't get me wrong, Android, especially Verizon's because of all the bloatware they put on it has the same problem to an extent. However, you can at least hide the annoying apps that you will never use. I know its not a huge complaint, but it annoyed the hell out of me that I couldn't do anything with Newsstand on iOS but relegate it to a distant page. Swype texting is another plus. It works better than I anticipated and just takes a little time to get used to.

The Hardware:
I'll spare the technical details, its fast. My only concern is how it will be in a year and a half when it is outdated. It is big and that took some getting used to, but after about a week an iPhone just feels small by comparison. I have probably above average sized hands and it is still easy to use with one hand. I do sometimes find myself hitting the back button or opening the phone app when I use it with one hand. The screen is bright and crisp, however it doesn't always adjust the brightness properly but it usually corrects itself quickly. I used to think "Who needs a screen that big on a phone?" and now I can't imagine going back, I'd even like to try out the Note II.

I was pleasantly surprised by the battery life. I am at 65% right now and it has been off the charger since about 11:00 am. However, I would consider today a relatively light day of usage. It does need to be plugged in nightly, so not quite at the level of the iPhone (4 anyway) but nowhere near as bad as many android phones.

Apps:
This is a big opinion point but for myself, the apps on the Play Store are better than Apple's. I generally only use basic apps and games. Gaming on this phone is lightyears better than iOS. There are emulators for everything up to the Playstation and it is easy to connect a PS3 controller through USB or bluetooth (if rooted). Chrome is much better than Safari in my opinion. Here's where the bigger screen helps too, its just a better phone for browsing the internet or any reading. Call quality is also much better that the 4 and there aren't any reception issues. I've had multiple people tell me how much clearer I sound on this phone.

All-in-all this is a great phone, and as a former iPhone user I am more than happy with my decision to switch. I know its not totally fair to compare this to the iPhone 4 but the 5 just didn't impress me. I still wish webOS was alive because it was a great OS but this is the best hardware I've ever used. And it has a very, very good ecosystem supporting it. I'd probably give it 4.5 stars if the option were available because of a few niggles, but it definitely deserves more than 4 stars so I'm going to give it 5.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2012
I am really enjoying the Galaxy S3, the screen is beautiful and the phone is light and thin.

Pros:

good battery life for a 4G LTE phone, very good
great call quality
no signal issues
fast processor
2GB of RAM means the phone is "future-proof"
EXCELLENT camera, fast photos with high quality and fun settings
video is also great at 1080 HD
very thin, so I don't mind using a case
more colors are being released
S-Beam feature is great for sharing photos with my wife and friends who have a GS3
Android software is smooth and much more intuitive than past versions
Will be upgraded to "Jellybean" software

Cons:
none. seriously, this phone is excellent

Minor annoyances (nothing is perfect):
I wish they had put the bottom row of buttons up closer to the screen. They sit kinda low.
Screen size isn't for everyone. And it will scratch without a screen protector (like all phones)
Not sure if I like the physical home button or not.

All things considered, I think this is the best phone ever made. Not perfect, but as good as it gets, unless you have a ton of Apple devices. Then you'd be better off with an iPhone that will sync all of your stuff together. I really love the camera, it actually captures my toddlers with the burst mode, and it's fast to take a shot.
on January 17, 2013
I chose to use the phone for a few months before writing this review to prevent the initial excitement from biasing this honest review. I came from a Motorola Droid running CM 7.2.

Pros:
* Very light
* Loud speaker
* micro SD storage
* Removable battery - not so important at home / work but a great boon out of town / on vacation. I was in Paris last summer and I was glad that my Droid let me to switch the batteries ($2 each nowadays) and keep shooting photos
* Excellent cameras - both front and back
* More than sufficient processing power - I always leave it on Power saver mode
* Vibrant screen
* Lovely 720p resolution - HD videos look great
* 4G LTE is unbelievably fast
* Easy to root and unlock bootloader + very strong Cyanogenmod, Ubuntu, support.

Cons:
* VERY bad cellular and wifi radios - My office is in the basement of a building and while iPhones are able to retain 3-4 bars, I get 1 bar at most. Phone also keeps dropping wifi regularly. As a consequence, my battery drains from 100% to 40% in a 10 hour work day with minimal to no usage. I don't have this problem at home where I have decent reception for both cellular and wifi. I have read elsewhere that Samsung simply doesn't know how to make good CDMA radios and GSM versions of the phone don't share this problem.
* Dim screen makes outdoors use a little painful
* Ugly and slow OS skin, gimmicky Samsung apps including S voice, massive amount of bloatware, annoying Verizon customizations like persistent wifi notification
* Too large - I have large hands and yet I feel that this is too much of a handful to use with a single hand. A 4.4" or 4.5" screen might be the largest one can comfortably use

Alternatives:
* iPhone 5
* Motorola Razr HD MAXX
* HTC Droid DNA
on June 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
Did not take long for the phone to get delivered. Phone did work but now it breaks up and I have to put it on speaker. But after awhile will not work at all.......stuck now for two years with Verizon plan.
Sincerely,
Very unhappy
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2012
Only good things to say about this phone. The phone is so light, the screen is huge and vivid, system is fast and customizable. Camera takes tremendous photos and HD videos. Expandable memory is a big perk. I have had no problems whatsoever with this phone and Verizon's 4G LTE network is unmatched and worth the price. Only regret is that I didn't upgrade from my BlackBerry (Satan's cell phone) sooner.
on October 7, 2012
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a great phone. It takes a little bit to get used too, but I guess that's with all phones. I originally was giving to get an iPhone 5, but after they won that ridiculous lawsuit I went with my 2nd choice the S3. I was also not liking the very little changes to the iPhone 5 and the change of port on the bottom as well.

Going from the Droid X to the S3 is nice. There are pros and cons IMO as with everything. First the bad news. Note most if not all my complaints are easily fixable by using any of the many free apps in the Android Marketplace. The music player (which is why I was thinking of going iPhone 5 as I lost my iTouch a couple months ago) is kind of low. It doesn't play smoothly as there are breaks sometimes in the middle of a song. Also there is no lockscreen controls. I'm now using Amazon MP3 as my music player and although it does add lockscreen controls I still get the occasional break within a song so it seems it's the phone. The MP3s do not break on my computer.

Another complaint is the alarm. Droid X allowed me to hear the full song as an alarm, but the S3's stock alarm cuts off after about a minute probably less. Also choosing MP3s as an alarm isn't as smooth as you actually have to go through your SD cards menu instead of pulling a list up like on the Droid X.

The complaints are the volume button can get in the way when holding my phone landscape therefore changing the volume while listening to my music as I do something else on my phone. The touchscreen is extremely sensitive (yes it's bothersome to me) as sometimes my fingers holding my phone move in front of the screen and registering it as a touch even if very slightly at the farthest edges... I also do not like the stock browser as you basically have to scroll all the way up because the URL bar scrolls up with the page.

The user dictionary doesn't update when you keep a word instead of using the ssuggestions. It looks like I actually have to manually add words to my dictionary... and the clipboard isn't a true clipboard because when I try to copy a link I can repaste it in the URL or into a text, but sharing it on facebook via status isn't possible.

Now the pros. The battery life is amazing. I don't even use battery saver mode and it still lasts longer then my old Droid X did with Battery Saver mode on and all things basically turned off and my S3 also has GPS and WiFi running too! The phone is extremely light. I may actually get a case because at times I forget I'm holding it because how light and thin it is. Also, I'm guessing the S3 has better receivers as I have better call quality and 3G speeds. Unless of course Verizon erected a new tower near me on the same exact day I activated this phone which I highly doubt.

The screen is quite amazing. I've seen IPhone 4S screens (those are supposed to have Retina displays right?) and IMO this looks better much more vivid. I've heard people say theirs get really hot, but mine did only the first day. Now it's actually cooler then my Droid X with the extended battery (Oh yeah forgot about that... that's how good the battery life is.)

S Voice (Siri like personal assistant) seems quite accurate. Definitely more so then Droid X's, but can't compare to iPhone's as I've never tried it. Oh if you have the original S like my aunt it's of course much better then that. I like how you can command your phone to wake up with whatever phrase you want (I'm playing with "Obey Me!" for now), but it doesn't work with music playing which I was able to do with Droid X (not that I used it all that much because like I said Droid X's music player had lockscreen controls).

I haven't truly fully explored the S3, but as I notice comparisons I'll update this review.

Overall it's a very good phone and although the point of Android is customizability I am saddened the S3's stock features aren't up there with a 2 year old phone. Not to mention it's got the new version versus Droid X's (don't remember their tasty names).
on November 8, 2013
Verified Purchase
Phone looks fine but battery discharges completely really fast and even dies while the phone is off. There are also a lot of black Stains on the screen.
on April 3, 2013
I ordered this phone and cancelled my order shortly thereafter when I read at the very bottom of the device description that Amazon is selling used, refurbished phones. That is a bit of information that should be at the very top of the page describing this phone. I have been happy with my purchases from Amazon in the past and find this page to be entirely deceptive and misleading. It will color my opinion of doing business with Amazon in the future. In fact, I will not purchase merchandise that is not explicitly stated to be "new" or "used" at the very top of the page right next to the price. Shame on you, Amazon.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations