on September 16, 2012
This is an incredible phone. It has exceeded my expectations! Its zippy, has a beautiful screen and is a perfect size. At first, when you look at it, it seems too big but after you use it a few times you realize the screen size is perfect. It fits in my pocket easily and is very light. I actually purchased the extended battery and cover from hyperion which help give it some weight. I actually prefer that extra weight on it and the new hyperion battery now lasts double the time. I have not had any issues about the "error with sim card". That really sounds like a Verizon wireless problem and I hope they resolve the issue quickly so that more people can enjoy this great phone. I had sold my iphone 4S and was going to purchase the Iphone 5 but unfortunately for Apple I picked this beautiful phone up and never looked back. I highly recommend it as it is very customizable and a joy to use. With its big screen, I can now enjoy watching a movie or a T.V. show while I'm on the go. Get it! You won't regret it after you learn android OS. By the way, the S3 will be receiving the updated Android OS "Jelly Bean" in October. I'm sure it will make this great phone even better once the update rolls out.

Edit*** Verizon rolled out an update today September 17, 2012 that fixes the sim card error reported in some of the reviews here.
on August 30, 2012
Im really not one to write reviews. I got this phone from amazon over two weeks ago.

Arrival:It arrived within just 2 days.

Aesthetic: It looks really amazing the stupid picture on amazon doesn't do it justice at all.

Performance: omg wow. I can't believe we've made it this far in engineering (even with all the obstacles retarding our way like patents and copy 'rights'). This phone performs basically as fast as my computer and even has a task manager lol. Multitasking is superb as well; you can call and search the web or listen to your navigation while ur on the phone...ridiculous!

Voice Interface: I'd estimate like a 96-98% accuracy of the Google voice search (which is EXTREMELY high and crushes "siri" any day). The S-Voice function is also really good but it's slow so I use the google one.

Web: Searching the web is faster than my cable company and its super fast as mentioned. No need to write anything else.

Entertainment: Freaking awesome for music, movies, seriously anything. You can arrange your songs/movies according to folders or anything else you like..

Picture/camera: awesome organization, can be according to faces, dates, anything really...Superb quality..really the best and easiest camera to work with by far. The fact that u can so easily switch between recording and picture taking is so awesome.

Security: you can set it at whatever level of security you want: pins, face recognition, voice recognition, etc...

Apps: it has any app you can possible want like recording phone calls, changing your voice, recording class lecture, games, academics...etc. and installations are faster than any other phone i promise (including iphone for sure)

Other notes: (I had the Galaxy Sii and i hated it. This phone with small tweaks which make a huge difference has really become a new phone)

I really love this phone..i hope you find my review useful cause i spent time to write it for you people that are deciding ...best of success to you in choosing.
on August 8, 2012
The phone is great, battery life, display, form factor are all fantastic. I would have given a 5 star review if it weren't for the bugs. Drive mode doesn't work for me at all. Tried everything I could to get it to work, even load my contact information on to my phone instead of syncing from google. Still a no go.

But my biggest gripe with the phone is when I send text messages. My messages fail to send and shortly after kicks me off the network and "no SIM" message pops up on the taskbar. It's an issue that seems to be plaguing a decent amount of users. Verizon claims Samsung is working on a update since it's a new phone, and with new phones, bugs are common. Whatever the case may be, it's an issue that needs to be resolved.

I did not buy the phone from Amazon, so it's not a review on the service, but on the device itself.
[...]
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 15, 2012
This is IMO the best android phone to date. It has a few minor bugs that could easily be ironed out with a update from the manufacturer. I will suggest one thing to do to make this phone run to its fullest potential, get rid of touchwiz by using either the Apex Launcher, or NovaLauncher. Those two launchers are specifically made for the current version of android (ICS). Do not use GO Launcher. Now for the list of things that make this phone the best android phone to date.

The S4 processor with two gigs of ram.
The Large 4.8 inch screen, which more than holds it own against all comers.
The Camera is the best camera you can get on a phone right now bar none.
The Battery life is the best on a smartphone outside of the Maxx, one suggestion would be to limit your background processes by going into developer options and change how many background processes your phone will allow.
The Gesture controls are a very nice touch.
The form factor is very sleek and sexy.

Now for a list of things I don't like quite as much.

The power button seems a bit flimsy to me, makes me wonder how it will hold up for two years.
The signal is not quite as good as it should be for a phone made in 2012, but it is still very solid nonetheless. I get better signal than I did on my Nexus.
Touchwiz is a bit clunky; but as I mentioned above that can be easily remedied by using Apex or Nova.

Overall, I would recommend this phone to ANYONE. I have had a lot of Android phones over the last few years, and this is far and away the best I've ever had.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2012
FIRST, PLEASE NOTE: I am not a professional with the smart phone. In fact, my 9 year old granddaughter could probably show me more about my phone than I could ever figure out. So if you are looking for a professional review... skip this one.

I am a Samsung girl through and through. My past phone was a Samsung Captivate and I loved this phone. Then... when it was time for an update, I decided to go for the Samsung Galaxy S3. WOW!

Of course, I checked out the reviews and one of the cons I kept reading about was the "plasticky case". I love the phone appearance, weight, feel. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the case and it has a great, sleek design. Feels good in my hand.

The screen is wonderful and I like the nature sounds and backgrounds. Of course, I added my own touch to everything. The huge screen and beautiful graphics are a plus!

The apps are easy to use and I am easily becoming attached to the S Voice.

The speed is wonderful! Uploading and downloading are really fast! Much more so than with my old Captivate.

Went to a HS Reunion and used the phone for video. Great movies! Great quality! Much more so than the former phone. Has flash for photos. Love that I can have face to face time with my grands in another state! Great quality!

My daughter has the Samsung Galaxy S2 and as we sit side by side, she is more and more impressed by the extras on my phone.

Call quality is superb! No dropped calls. No probs with having to move around and hold the phone just right so I can be heard on other end.

The battery life is pretty decent! I can use it all day and come home and place on charger before I go to bed.

Loving this phone and hopefully this will help others in selecting their future android!

7/18/13 - Today, I am just as pleased with this phone as I was a year ago! In fact, probably more so! I have customized my phone specifically for my needs and I love that it still works and looks like it did the day I purchased it. My battery is still working great as well! I have found a few fun things more that I can do with my phone and am very dependent on it.

A great match for this phone in the way of a case is the Speck Candyshell case. I have the white/raspberry and the white/purple. Perfect fit!~
on September 25, 2012
I am completely in love with this phone. I preordered mine through Verizon before the new plans kicked in so I was able to keep my unlimited plan! (Thank goodness!) I upgraded from the Droid 1, to the Droid 3, and onto the S3, and while I was nervous to leave Motorola (because of their stronger antennas, and the keyboard)I am so happy I did! This phone is just amazing. I did have a couple problems with my first one, but Verizon overnighted me a new one and it was all set.

I definitely reccommend Verizon when having purchasing this phone. (As it is also available on Sprint and AT&T) The best thing about Verizon is their network. Not only do I get coverage EVERYWHERE but I also get 4G in my area! Going from around 2Gb speeds on my Droid 3, to about 30Gb speeds was just ridiculous. My videos load faster, and webpages come up sooner.

If you are a big camera person, this has an 8MP camera with all kinds of fun options. My favorites are Smile Shot (automatically snaps the photo when the subject smiles), Panorama and burst mode. It takes photos super fast so you will almost always get the photo you want. The front facing camera works great too. It's a 1.9MP so it's better than most others. (Around 1.2-1.3)

Texting is a breeze. You can use speech-to-text, the on-screen keyboard, or even swype. I'm not the biggest swype fan, but it's just because I don't ever use it. One of my favorite features is the direct calling. In the settings there is an option for it, and what it's used for is when someone texts you, and you are driving or busy, you can just hold the phone up to your ear and it will automatically call that person. Best setting ever.

I have tried S Beam, but I don't really use it because the other person needs to have an S3. I also never use S Voice, I tried it for a couple days when I first received the phone but it either didn't understand me or would just send me to google. I have tried it again since then and it seems to work a little better, just a little gimmicky and I don't see a need for it.

The screen is just beautiful on this phone. The 4.8 inch screen is perfect, it fits in the hand perfectly, and it has a stunning display. I have bought a few cases for it, and I really prefer Elago slim fits on it. I get the snap on glossy ones and they are amazing.

The durability of this phone is incredible. I have dropped it multiple times. Before I had the case I dropped it and it left tiny dents in the plastic siding, but nothing noticible (Love the silver edges). The plastic is super light, and much more durable than the metal Droid's I've had.

While the battery is a problem with most smartphones, this is no exception. I am a fairly heavy data user (Netflix, games, and streaming) and I do charge it on average twice a day. There are things you can do to help, such as turning the battery saver mode on, and dimming the screen but I just like the brightness too much. I never use battery saver, and my brightness is always on max. I like enjoying the phone, not worrying about it. It's to easy to keep a charger where you're using it.

If you are debating between devices this is the best on the market. Some will compare it to the Iphone, but it's so much better in my opinion. Google has way more features, and you can't beat this size and color display.
on August 29, 2012
I've had this phone for a week so far, and I have a long way to go in learning all of its features. So far, I've really only used the basic stuff. But I do have some comments, so I wanted to do this while they were fresh. I'll try to remember to come back and update.

Generally, I love it. For all the reasons you already know, I'm sure. But I do have a notable frustration. While all the things it *does* are great, the physical design of the phone is poor, and I can't believe it got through all the testing to make it to market like this. First, it's hard to hold on to. It's so light and slim and curvy, it wants to slip out of my hand. So when I try to grip it, I find myself grabbing the lock/unlock button and the volume button at the same time. They are directly across from each other, and at exactly the spot that one naturally picks up the phone. Also, it's nearly impossible to squeeze the unlock button without also depressing the volume button on the other side and changing the setting. Finally, while holding the phone to view the screen, I tend to put my thumb on the bottom edge of the phone, which is where the menu button is. Argh. I can't find a place to put my fingers on this phone that's not pushing a button and doing something I don't want to do! It's a real aggravation. I keep telling myself that I'll eventually adapt and find ways to contort my fingers so that I don't continually change various settings, but I'm not really convinced. I'm now in the process of buying a case, in the hopes that the case will impede the button operation enough to keep me from doing things I don't intend to do.

I hope I do find a way around this aggravation, or a way to just stop being so frustrated by it, because it really is a great phone.
on July 19, 2012
I used to work for Verizon, and I've tested a lot of phones. This is hands down the fastest, smoothest phone I've seen. With a dual core (US) 1.5 GHz processor, and 2 gigs (US) of RAM this thing will be future proof for the next two years that you own it. It's also capable of 4G LTE speeds so the internet is blazing fast as well.
Most of my friends have iphones, and they were envious of the looks/screen on this phone. It certainly is a looker, and the weight/feel to it is deceiving. With such a large phone you'd expect it to be heavy, but somehow Samsung made this phone light, thin and airy. Some say it feels cheap, but I don't get that at all. In fact it seems well built, but like most phones I would not want to drop it without a case.
The 1080p video camera is a nice feature too, and the videos looks great! I have a Samsung TV so I can send them wirelessly from the phone to the TV. The camera is sweet too, and I like having burst mode.
Oh, and its a phone too, and the calls are clear on both ends. This is a must have phone if you are looking to upgrade. Don't hesistate!
on April 10, 2013
Caught this phone on sale for $10 on March 31, 2013 and I've got to say, it's a fantastic phone. I was really nervous about switching from a no-contract phone (HTC Evo 3D on Virgin Mobile) to being locked into a 2-year contract, but so far it's not so bad. Verizon has the best service I've ever seen, and the 4G speeds continuously blow my face off.

I'll list a few personal likes and dislikes.

PROS:
-It's fast. Real fast. From off to fully booted in about a minute, which is a far cry from the 5 minutes it took my Evo 3D to fully load.

-Plenty of storage. I was concerned about the fact that the S3 doesn't allow storage of apps on the SD card, especially with the limited space (16GB onboard), which effectively makes my 16GB SD card an endless supply of photo storage. I use Spotify as my main source of music, so I was disappointed that the S3 forces the offline storage onto the onboard emulated "SD card". However, it didn't turn out to be too bad of a letdown. I've got about 4GB of space left to play around with on the phone itself, and the SD card is pretty much untouched.

-The camera. My God, the camera! It's honestly the best one I've ever had on a phone. My Evo had a dual 5MP camera (hence the 3D) and it was decent, but what a difference 3MP makes! The auto-focus is excellent, and the low-light function is fantastic. I was surprised at how much light this device can capture in low-light settings! Shooting video is also a pleasure. There's a certain realistic effect to each video that makes me never want to go back to anything lesser.

-The size. At first I thought it might be a little to big to handle. Compared to my Evo's 4.3in display, this dude's a monster. But it's a nice change, I have to admit! It's still comfortable to hold, and in fact it's thinner than my old device which adds to the experience. I very much appreciate the power button's location on the right side of the device. So much easier to access than if it were on the top.

-The notification LED! This is more of a silly novelty, but you'd be surprised how many people actually consider it a dealbreaker if a phone doesn't have an LED notification. It doesn't quite display every color imaginable, but it does more than just blink red and green. Certain apps have their own default color built into them (Facebook blinks blue, Yahoo mail blinks pink/fuchsia, etc.) It's a nice plus. Just DO NOT GET LIGHTFLOW if you want more control over the LED. For some reason it drains the battery at ludicrous speed, and causes certain features on the phone to act wonky. Wait until they update the app.

-The Battery. This is probably the biggest selling point for me. My old phone would last about 5 hours on even medium or low-medium use, and that's pretty sad. The S3 does much better than that. Heavy usage still sucks battery life, but the usage-to-battery-life ratio is much more comfortable than anything I've owned. I can usually get through an entire day and still have about 40% before bed, and that's after 4G, wifi, screen and surfing. I really appreciate the capacity this phone has.

-The headset!!! My God, the headset. The headphones that came with the phone are quite possibly the best headphones I've ever owned. They're the in-ear type so they cancel out most sound, ensuring a rich hearing experience. Coupled with Spotify Mobile's new Equalizer feature, I can't help but keep them in my ears all day. It's like hearing my music for the first time again!

-S Voice is OK. I'm not foaming at the mouth over it, but it's a nice addition to the OS. I use it to set alarms and tasks, and ask about the weather. Google Now can also do these things and then some.

Now to the other stuff...

CONS:
-Screen quality. I'm not a fan of the screen type Samsung and Motorola use in their devices. There's always this blue-green tint to everything, sometimes it's not very noticeable, but on lighter backgrounds (such as on Facebook) you'll notice it. I'll get used to it, but I much prefer HTC's pure-white, no-tint look with their screens.

-Pixel Density. I can see pixels, which is automatically a con. It's not horrible, I'd just prefer a higher pixel density. But where there's higher pixel counts, there's need for higher battery capacity which means bigger battery size which means fatter phones. I'm okay with it for now.

To be honest, the pros outweigh the cons by a longshot.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2012
I've had this phone for over a month now.. month and few weeks maybe. I'm really loving this phone even though few little things that bug me. I got my phone from eBay brand new, I got the 32GB pebble blue on Verizon. Phone is really great and I think probably the best outta smartphones I've had.. had about 6-7 so far.

Battery on this phone is probably best I've experienced with this phone here. I know you could always do things to get better battery than I've been having, I personally don't care to root this yet or do any of the tweaks. I can work this phone hard, I mean constant youtube videos, some games, taking pictures, making some phone calls and stuff, and doing some e-mails (4 email accounts).. even though I don't sync but 6 minutes on every hour. I get about 7 or so hours and still at %50 battery, give or take. My other phones would be about dead just about, I'd be hurrying to charge a spare up after 8 or 9 hours.

I really love the slick design of the phone.. some people say very cheap feeling or quality but I feel complete opposite and they are probably idiots anyways. I have several very nice cases and screen protector on this baby.. have a glass tempered one and loving it, feel I have that protection in case a drop (let's hope not).

Only thing at this point I don't really like with phone so far is when I open one of my folders or close, I have the ladys voice- Folder open/Folder closed.. This bugs the crap out of me. I checked all settings and just don't see how to stop this, anyone know?

all and all this phone is a very great phone and I'd recommend to people out there. Then again everyone is different and we all don't have the same luck with our electronic gadgets or all want something else. Personally I'm very happy and think this phone is top of the line :).

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations