Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HTC EVO LTE, White 16GB (Sprint)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on October 13, 2012
This is a reply to Sarah. I just got this phone, so I haven't completely tested everything about the phone. A small disclaimer I've upgraded from a blackberry so I'm not really qualified to go in depth with the apps, htc or smart phones in general.

Its sleek, sexy & very couture. I find the white version more aesthetically appealing, that its black counterpart. The 4.7" screen is enormous with a very crisp display! The 1.5 dual core snapdragon is extremely fast & can run any of the latest games available in google play & is preloaded with ICS. Its smooth, responsive & very accurate with texting(big plus)! One thing that's particularly attractive is the weather app, its really immersive when you switch to full screen & I get lost staring at the animations it plays.

Voice commands are responsive as long as you don't eat your words. One thing car mode! Now I must get a dock for this, it changes the GUI for ease of use when driving. The 8 megapixel camera takes, stunning photos with a couple of customizations for your photos. Video recording at Full HD 1080p, 1.3 megapixel front facing camera & beats audio! Not that I'm a big fan, but that extra addition adds a lot of value to a phone that's already packed with a ton of features & it also comes with an extremely sturdy kickstand.

For all its pluses, there are two quirks about the phone. The first being to get to the micro sd slot you need to remove the back paneling (seems that htc had put this late in the phone's design). The second is the inability to battery swap.

Aside from those two quirks, the phone will do everything you want it to, while looking good at doing it. I bought this phone primarily for aesthetic reasons, though it was a difficult decision at first; I had considered the galaxy s3 & the photon q (qwerty keyboard) as well. But I'm really happy I got this, after I saw the the s3 & the q in store, I wasn't overly impressed by both.

I have ordered a ballistic case, since the phone looks way too good to get dings & scratches on it.

Edit* The reason why it's so cheap is because the promotional campaign for the one x over shadowed it & not enough interest was generated for it (forgot where I read that fact). Turns out that this is the better phone of the two. Also its $29.99 only for new sprint customers, I paid $99.99 since I'm an existing customer(still a great deal!).
22 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2012
I'm what some would call an android purist. I like stock android, i think its gorgeous, works well, and flows nicely. However, sticking with stock devices (i'm also one of those who feels like getting updates from google is a pro, not something to work around) means compromising certain things...in the case of my last phone? The camera and so so battery life (verizon galaxy nexus)

when i made the jump to sprint i was taken by the striking look of the evo 4g lte, a phone that in black/red, never stood out to me (aside from the screen and knowing it basically a one x with some makeup on.)

Ill go into what i feel are the good and bad, and hopefully it'll help inform your decision as to if this handset is worth your time.

first, lets start with the bad, or rather, the just not all that good.

1.Non removable battery. Honestly, this means very little to me, as this seems to be the way of most phones going forward. but it may matter to someone who stays away from a charger more than me

2.two tone back. i personally think the htc oneX feels slightly nicer than this handeset...but only in this very specific aspect: it feels like a single solid piece of something (which it is) whereas the evo is a mishmash of different textures. The plastic top is a fingerprint magnet but if you get the white, you wont ever see it.

3. Lte support: honestly, as someone who spends most of his time in wifi areas this matters less to me than it does folks on the go, and since all i use my data for is foursquare checkins and google music, even sprints paltry 3g does me good.

4.sense: being an android purist shows my bias, and i still think htc offers the best 'skin' of any oem android device. it may be overwrought but it still is the best. however, i cant help but feel what this device would be like with stock android

ok, now for the good.

1. Screen. seriously. its amazing. colors are rich but not oversaturated, response is grand. its probably the best screen on ANY device right now, overshadowed only by the droid dna's 1080p screen (which i'll say is only 'better' because of the resolution and ppi, though side by side comparisons dont reveal too much. except for maybe that the dna cant get as bright.)an the iphone5's retina display is another standout that may beat this display..it has a cooler temperature to the screen, but hangs with the evo.

2. performance. the chip in this phone is speedy. and def future proof. i've not noticed many hiccups, and if there have been, they are minor.

3. looks: this applies more to the white version, but this phone gets looks and questions everywhere i take it. depending on who you are, you may or may not find that appealing. i personally love the sleek, modern look to it. htc does hardware well and seems to be the only android oem that puts apple-esque effort into their devices design.

4. feel in hand/quality: this phone feels fanastic. it isnt iphone5 light, but its lighter than it looks. the soft touch back feels like aluminum, and it has a nice metal band running around the edges of the device. its superb and feels wonderfully high-end

5. camera. i'd put this camera on par with the iphone4 and in most cases 4s, and the galaxy s3. the lense isnt outstanding, but its very decent, and the camera software is phenomenal, which is what makes this such a standout smartphone shooter. you wont be disappointed.

6.jellybean: yup! you'll be on the latest android build. maybe not to the version number (4.2 is techincally already out) but for a skinned device, it runs fantastically. time will tell if the next version of android will be available for it, but for now, you wont miss too much on jb 4.1 compared to the later versions.

7.battery. this has proven to be more or less 'okay' rather than 'good'. on a typical day with about 3 1/2 hours of screen time and streaming a bit of music on the road over 3g and being in a wifi only zone for most of the day, i get about 13-17 hours easily. so it will last you all day easily, depending on your work day.

all in all, this handset is great, and i wouldnt mind paying for it again...if i had paid anything. for the price, there is not better phone on sprint, and even if it was 199 i'd have no issues reccomending it.

*****************update 4/23/13*********************88
hopefully some folks come back to read this review....

after nearly 6 months with my evo lte, i dont think i can recommend it any longer.

while my pros are still pros (screen, hardware, sd expandability) some bugs have ruined the experience for me.

the biggest one? reception. which is huge. i know sprints network isnt the greatest, in fact its far from it, but i live in an LTE-lit area...and even here, i'm having issues. what kind? well, for one, this phone usually requires an airplane mode refresh to finally find lte signal. the iphone5, galaxy s3 and galaxy note2 dont seem to have these same issues in the same exact areas. also, the data speeds from each handset usually handidly leave the evo lte behind...by a significant margin. Literally. You could stand next to someone with an s3 or iphone5 and watch how they have better signal and data reception.

its become so frustrating and outstanding despite my sympathy for sprints network coverage i'm considering switching as thats cheaper than forking out money for a new unlocked (on their network) device. I'm a heavy foursquare user and even folks running older 3-g only phones on sprint are able to pinpoint their location and check in substantially faster than i am. This isnt a software related issue....htc has already rolled out at least 2 of those. its a hardware issue, which means it wont get addressed. especially not with htc's efforts focused on the htc one, which for the sake of its owners, i hope has less reception issues.

and as a final note, jellybean on this device, while it does add great functionality, seems to be laggier in places than it would be on an s3 running the same SOC (processor) and especially when compared with a stock google device like the nexus4. its not the hardware...its htc's sense interface. It introduces lag into android where there previously was none.

try it. open a link in chrome or the browser, surf for a bit and then randomly hit the home button.

behold, as the evo lte does its best to re-write all your folders, apps and widgets on the home screen....because you'll be greeted with a screen with folders and no icons inside them. These are issues that plagued android back in the gingerbread days...they should be a none issue.

really stinks. i wanted to love this phone. and like I said...the pros are still good...but the cons have gotten bad enough to where i can see why some lesser informed folks would assume getting an iphone would be the only answer. (it isnt. but that would be a massively better choice than this device as it taints so much thats good about android in its current form.)
on May 29, 2013
I have been using it for about a month and I love it! Not sure how in the world I made it without a smart phone before now. I love the voice text feature and the camera/video is great. No complaints!!
on January 3, 2015
Had this phone less then a year and it hasn't held up as well as I would have liked. Since it is so thin it has to be handled gently. Even with a heavy duty case to protect it you can see cracks in the phone's case because it just isn't durable. About what you'd expect for a super thin smart phone. We have had to reset it twice because the older it gets the slower it runs.
on June 25, 2015
Item received before date, item was in the condition that seller posted. My son was excited because he had bought 2 before this one and they didn't work and couldn't return so he had lost money and they were more expensive, so he said I love my phone and will buy again from seller and the price was awesome..thanks from one happy mom n son
on October 2, 2013
This is a phone I purchased for my mother. She's not very tech savvy but she can use this pretty well. I had an initial problem...the phone was defective - wouldn't connect to sprints network. Amazon took it back immediately and very quickly shipped a new phone. Excellent customer service.
The Sprint techs did say they often have problems with phones purchased on Amazon...but as I said, they took care of it quickly and never had a problem since.
on October 14, 2013
This phone features written on screen prompts, that help the user through many of it's most important apps, and programs. It has a very vivid screen resolution, and the sounds are marvelous, especially when playing music. My wife loves the phone, and she was afraid of smart phones...not anymore. HTC keep up the good work in your R&D department.
on October 15, 2013
Many people like the iPhone and I get it. As a matter of fact I own an iPad. But for phones I am comfortable with the android platform. I bought this phone for my wife, who loves technology but is someone challenged with its. The EVO 4G LTE is so easy to use, and so easy to learn that it has worked to be a perfect upgrade for her.
on May 13, 2013
I ordered this phone with contract extension as an upgrade from my first Evo. I have to admit I was scared because the upgrade price was so awesome, and the spotty reviews made me nervous. I was looking at this model, as well as the latest Samsung Galaxy and Note models (which, I will add were both more than four times what this one cost). I researched here and elsewhere, and the main issue with this model seemed to be the very new, often inaccessible LTE network. I'm in metro Atlanta, and LTE has slowly become more available since the first (not so great) reviews I read from mid 2012. I called Sprint to see if they could give me some assurance about LTE before purchasing, and their answer was vague, at best. But since they had an established LTE tower in Atlanta, I decided to take the plunge. So far service has ranged from standard to super fast. I use a lot of data on my phone to check email, facebook, monitor my online stores, and now Instagram, and I haven't had a lot of problems.

Part of the reason I was willing to take the risk with this phone was because of my experience with my first Evo- it proved to be a dependable, quality, durable, fun to use device that met my needs. This new Evo did not disappoint. Didn't see where much improvement could happen from the original, but they managed it. Love the lighter body, additional front facing camera, tweaked kickstand, and sleeker interface. I was worried I wouldn't like the changes to the screens, but they are just better, with more room for app widgets, and options for setup.

I LOVE that I this really did turn out to be an overall improvement to Evo while staying true to what I love about Evo. The only thing I miss from the old model is something trivial: the power port is now on the side instead of the bottom, making it a little more awkward to prop it safely while charging.

I'm glad I went through with this one!
on January 20, 2014
This phone does everything i want a phone to do and more.
It was steal of a purchase and very easy to use.
Self activation was an issue, but I took it to my provider and they activated it and I was one my way.