Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

The manufacturer commented on the review below
on May 2, 2015
Just want to write a quick review. I did not buy this monitor from Amazon but rather Microcenter. I bought one back in 2013 which was perfect, no backlight bleeding or color issues. It is still perfect today. I recently decided I wanted a dual monitor set up. I bought another one a few weeks ago; it had backlight bleeding that took up 20 pct of the screen. Photoshop was unusable. I thought it was just that one monitor, so I exchanged it. Same issue with the next one, then I ended up just returning it and keeping my one monitor set up. I'm writing this review because I did some research online and it is not just me that is having these black light bleeding out the issue, but something about the models being ship in 2015. So be aware of this issue when buying. I'll post a picture of the problem. The monitor on the right is the newer one, now returned.
review image
2424 comments| 830 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2014
This monitor is absolutely amazing for the price. I was initially very disappointed because my mouse seemed to have a delay as it moved across the screen despite the fact that I have a very powerful computer. This was because even if you're using a DisplayPort connection, the monitor is set to use DP v1.1 by default. As you may know DP v1.1 only allows for a 30Hz refresh rate. If you have a video card capable of utilizing DP v1.2 you will need to make sure the monitor is set to use DP v1.2 in order to utilize the full 60Hz refresh rate. Once properly set everything feels extremely smooth and there is no delay.

Monitor Settings:
Menu -> System Setup -> DisplayPort Stream -> DP 1.2

Computer Settings (Windows 8.1):
Right Click on Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> List All Modes -> "3840 by 2160, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz"
review image
22 comments| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2015
I had this monitor for about 2 weeks and it was pretty awesome.

Then yesterday morning it didn't start up right away, and after 25 minutes of playing silly buggers with rebooting and cable swapping such, it came up with a 1 pixel green line about 4-5 inches (didn't measure it) from the right hand side.

I tried to open a case through the ASUS online chat, but that required I open a case over the web. However their search box gave an "Access Denied" error.

S0 I called in. Apparently their Tech Support line was overflowing, because I got someone who took my name and phone number and promised a return call within an hour.

And I know you'll be SHOCKED to find out it didn't happen.

So I tried their email support form, which refused to let me through on a perfectly ( see RFC 822 or google "email plus addressing" ) valid email address.

This morning the monitor again failed to start immediately, so it's going back to Amazon (thanks guys) and I'll be buying from Not Asus for a few years.

I realize with modern manufacturing that not everything is perfect, but if you can't properly size your technical support lines, either your assembly lines need to be fixed, or your product design.
review image
22 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2015
i am on my 3rd of these monitors, monitor roulette. 1st one, pretty bad bleeding, especially in the lower left. i returned it on amazon, got a new one, slightly worse on the replacement. what is odd, is if you very gently touch the lower left and upper right corners, the bleeding is reduced dramatically. almost like the screen isnt secured well enough. seems to be fine on the lower right and upper left, which makes no sense.

anyways heres a pic, do see. it mostly is ok if you have a light on in your room, but trying to play a game with dark scenes or a movie, it is very noticeable, which is after adjusting the monitor settings (like brightness at 20/30 %) and enabling tracefree at around 60 which is supposed to be the ideal setting for this monitor.

hope this helps someone buying this monitor, from the reviews i have read some people get no bleeding (but with standard ips glow), which others have some crazy bleeding like mine. guess it really is a lottery buying these kinds of monitors, which is a shame because it really is a nice one.
review image
22 comments| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2016
The ASUS PB278Q is designed around the same plane-line switching (PLS) panel and screen technology as the Samsung SyncMaster S27A850T. It uses the same edge LED backlighting system and has the same tilt-swivel-rotate features on its height-adjustable stand.

Connectors on the monitor’s lower back are restricted to audio- and video-only — there’s no USB hub here like on the Samsung. DisplayPort, dual-link DVI, and HDMI are your choices for digital video, while VGA is a backup if needed. The monitor has an analog 3.5mm line input and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

The PB278Q has an integrated 2x3W stereo speaker that works when either HDMI, the line-in, or DisplayPort is used. The volume can be easily controlled using a direct-access button on the monitor’s lower bezel, although we found it easier to leave it at full power and adjust volume within Windows.

Setting up the PB278Q is simple. Screw the base of the stand into the stem with a single thumbscrew, rotate the entire stand from portrait to landscape, plug in the power and display cables, and you’re ready to go.

PROS:
- Great stand
- Great warranty from a well-known company. Warranty starts when the monitor was originally bought (if you buy used, or from a “Like New” Amazon Warehouse Deal).
- Less ghosting than the HP ZR2740w above due to newer technology and “overdrive” capabilities.

CONS:
- Pricier, but not overly so like some of the $500+ 27” WQHD monitors available.
- Might be stuck around 60hz, uses PWM at 240hz, so may see some visible flicker at lower brightness levels

Summary:

The ASUS PB278Q is a beautiful 1440p gaming monitor that suits the gamer who values image quality over response time and smoothness. I play RPG games and single-player adventure/action games such as Assassins Creed, Skyrim, and much more, where the surroundings and the color accuracy provides the most value to the gaming experience.
However, the PB278Q will, of course, be able to play online shooting games like Counter-Strike for the average gamer but the more serious online shooting gamers would probably notice a lag as the response time, and refresh rate is slow compared to the TN panel based monitors.
Nonetheless, the PB278Q looks good, performs great image quality and has a recommended resolution for gaming of any kind. Perfect for console gaming with its 60 Hz refresh rate, image quality and the two 3W speakers hidden instead of showing on the sides, or the audio line out on the monitor for your headphones.

For now, I have it for two years already, and my next monitor will be 4k, but definitely from ASUS.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on January 23, 2017
I haven't used it that long yet. I'm using it next to my 27" ultrasharp Dell 144hz. This monitor cost 1/2 as much as that one. I WANTED BIGGER but it had to fit under cupboards. Fit is perfect. Size is much better than the 27". The ultrawide 34's were not tall enough - so didn't go that route. COLOR OUTSTANDING (I'm a retired studio owner and have a master eye for color. This one replaced a 24" NEC multisync and a Lacie 23 which I used for photo color.

Not perfect, I see some tearing in gaming. (expected) I'm only getting 60fps with vsync. Expected... I can move the game to my 144hz monitor and do (if FPS type) but other games like Astroneer I prefer in the larger screen. IT is sharp (not as sharp as the dell) to be expected again as it's dot pitch is lower res (same res on 27 and 32... hast to be lower dpi on larger screen). I wanted curved, but reviews on picture were so much higher on this than the reviews on the curved offerings. I ideally - I should have sold my Dell and NEC and spent the 1600.00 on the 144, curved gaming monitor. To have it all - gsync, curve and higher res.

STILL FOR THE MONEY this is a wonderful monitor. outstanding quality. There is better but you'll need to pay 300+ more. Most of my past monitors have been >1500.00 but since being retired I can't justify that price for casual use and games.

Con: ODDLY the color temp has 4 options. Slightly blue whites, and then the other 3 are way to warm whites. I was surprised it didn't have Kelvin adjustment to adjust per 100's rather than the 4 options which are about 1000k difference. Still I picked the coolest option and then tweaked the color to warm up the white properly. Well package - BIG BOX - LOTS OF CABLES most of which I didn't need. Jerked the 24 NEC out and have this monitor side by side with Dell Ultrasharp. (I do not recommend for it's price). it has horrible color, saturation, contrast, viewing angle all poor.

Pro: VERY good color, should be find for photo editing on a budget. I don't miss that I didn't get a curved 32". Has speakers do I could clean up my desk area by pulling out my speakers/subwoofer that were cluttering up my area. (surely not the same sound quality) but good sound for casual computer use. I use VR and headphones for gaming).
on July 22, 2017
Pros:
- Arrived in perfect condition, zero dead pixels.
- Pixel density is equivalent to a 24" 1080p monitor, which I think aids legibility.
- Image quality surpasses my previous 2 monitors, which were old Sceptre 24" 1080p IPS panels. Colors are richer and more consistent, blacks are darker.
- Capable of 75 Hz refresh rate when using DisplayPort 1.2 (although not HDMI, which is a shame).

Cons:
- Blacks, though darker than my previous monitors, have some kind of odd, faintly glowy quality that's hard to describe. I'm not sure if it's the backlight or maybe something about the VA panel.
- Due to the sheer size of the screen, there's some viewing angle related color shift on the sides when sitting about 3 feet away, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Neither of those cons are very noticeable when sitting further away, maybe 5 feet, which was the main use case I had in mind when buying such a big screen anyway.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 17, 2016
- - - - - - - - UPDATE - - - - - - - -
I have been told by other users that this screen does not have a VA panel. Other users say it has (see: [...]). Perhaps Amazon is smooshing all the comments for different models of screens together and the user questions are for *all* models in this range. Very annoying if this is the case. So after using this monitor for a few days, I noticed a couple of problems. 1) It ran hot, 2) there was light bleed on the edges during the night using it in a darker mode. I still think this is a great WQHD screen for programmers for around the $300 mark, but I've finally settled on the ASUS PB278Q 27", which is an IPS panel without the corona on bright-dark edges that I got from the full-gamut screens: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009C3M7H0

- - - - - - - - OLD - POST - - - - - - - -
After trying 5 different screens from Full-HD (1920x1080) through 4K (3840x2160), from TN panels, to VA panels, to IPS panels; I finally found what I think is the ideal screen for programmers! My requirements for a good programming monitor are, in order: 1) contrast, 2) light issues (glare, leak, bleed, milk, etc), 3) resolution, 4) color gamut, 5) refresh rate. Firstly contrast: a programmer needs good contrast ratios to get high quality readable text in a light room, and the same for "night-mode", where the lights are out and the screen is dimmed. Secondly light issues: I find that IPS panels leak light around the edges of high-contrast pixels, if you view a dark color next to a light color, you see a small rainbow where the pixels meet, which is incredibly frustrating while trying to program. I like to use sharp anti-aliased fonts when I program, so light-leak around high-contrast pixels is particularly noticeable. Light bleed on edges of IPS and low-quality TN panels are also very annoying. Thirdly, resolution: 4k is too high for comfortable reading of non-anti-aliased fonts around the 15px per font size, which is about the average size a font looks good non-antialiased (to me), typically I use Nerd Fonts, Sauce Code Pro Extra Light and ProggyCleanTTSZ (slashed zeros). I can see why 4K is possibly great to games, photo editing, CAD and the like, but for programming, I don't get why you would want a resolution that high, and I think that quality of the color and contrast options fall far behind the resolution with the current 4k technology. Fourthly, color gamut: I don't need 100% Adobe RGB or 100% sRGB color space for 80% of what I work on, and frankly, a full color gamut screen makes most things fugly, because most things are not designed on 100% color space screens; however if you are editing photos of a sunset, or spending a lot of time getting screen color to match print, then yes, 100% Adobe color space is your friend; also the high gamut screens I tried, did not work with video due to refresh rate issues, the video played back without the full color gamut; which could be a real deal-braker if you're editing video. Fifthly, refresh rate: the higher the rate, the less eye fatigue; this monitor has 75hz, which is... OK but if the choice is that or having a 144hz refresh rate with poor contrast and light bleed around high-contrast pixels, then 75hz will do. Things that don't matter: viewing angle, because I'm sitting right in front of the screen; high color gamut, because I'm editing photos. All in all the ASUS PB277Q has the high-contrast VA panel which is crisp on fonts, the colors a great for the price. Bad point, the screen is too light, I have to weigh mine down with rocks to stop it from floating away.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2015
I haven't had it long, but I calibrated it with a Spyder4Pro, and I can report that, with the full gray scale displayed, 242 and 255 are so distinct from one another that there is room for intermediate steps. At the same time. 12 and 0 are distinct but with no room left between 12 and black. On the test chart, cauc flesh is dead on and without off cast. Grays are neutral. Color patches look right, meaning that red is not the semi-magenta that so often appears. Spyder finds is good for sRGB. It is very sharp, showing true image detail.

I would not expect, at this price, for it to match high-end graphics displays, but for what I want, which is to produce large photo images that will pass exacting stock agency reviewers, it is obviously going to do just fine. When I pull the test chart back to the common Dell 19" monitor, the difference is shocking. I am VERY happy I'm not preping photo submissions on the Dell. (No slur on the Dell - it's not supposed to compete).

I bought this one from Amazon Warehouse as an open-box with minor damage to the top of the monitor. I didn't see the damage while setting up, so it's of no consequence. All in all, it's a perfectly adequate monitor if you're not doing low tolerance color work indeed. So five stars for performance well up to expectations.

I want to add this one note. You will note that the instructions with calibration sets, like Spyder and Colormunki, advise to let the monitor warm up for 30 minutes before calibration. I know that when this one wakes up, it has a distinct green cast, in terms of diachroic filter densities in old color film printing, I would call it "5" green. 30 minutes may be more than enough, but do not judge or calibrate your monitor until it warms up. In the time it has taken me to type this, it has pretty well but not entirely normalized.
on September 18, 2014
This monitor is PHENOMENAL. The colors are fantastic and the quality is really clean and sharp. I was having issues with headaches on an LED Backlit monitor that was only 1080p, and ever since I switched to this one I've been much better.

I'm a very avid photographer, and this has made a big step in the quality of my photos. I can see so much more detail now.

Note to Macbook Pro, Apple Macbook, Apple users: In order to take advantage of the full resolution of the screen, you're going to need to order a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable; Mini-Displayport to anything else will not support the native resolution of the monitor, and you're unlikely to find this in any stores nowadays. You can buy a simple Startech or after-market one; I've done it and haven't had any issues. DO NOT waste you're money on the dual dvi adapter. I'm on a Macbook Pro 15in Late 2011 release.
55 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse