Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,317 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,427 reviews
on January 13, 2013
===== Installation and Packaging =====

The packaging for this is minimal but seems efficient. I ordered from Amazon and they put the drive (which comes in a package the size of a CD case) in a larger box with some padding.

As far as installing the hardware into my desktop it was super easy. Mounted and plugged it in and it was good to go.

After double-checking to see my BIOS was set to AHCI mode for my SATA ports, I popped my Win 7 DVD in the drive and restarted my computer for installation.

Windows recognized the drive just fine and after making the few selections necessary it started to install.

This was the fastest installation of Windows I've ever encountered. I wasn't timing it directly but I'm pretty sure it was completely done in about 20 minutes. That's from initial "Start Installation" button click until the final reset where it boots up and you can actually start using windows.

After that, installing programs seems to be slightly faster but not that much faster than normal.

Copying files is waaaay faster. I copied over 20GB of files from my old Win install so that I could format the drive and replace them. It copied them over within a few minutes. Copying them back to my spinning-disk drive took a bit longer of course.

===== Expectations and Performance =====

I bought this to transfer Win 7 Pro and my games (mainly GW2, Diablo III, and other similar games) over to for better performance. So far it has been markedly faster but not as mind-bogglingly fast as I had built it up to potentially be.

As far as Win 7 Pro goes, I did a fresh install and after all the updates it now loads in probably less than 30 seconds. This is the most beneficial thing for this SSD so far in my opinion. I'm also including the time it takes me to type in my password. (probably 5-8 seconds)

I've noticed that my games do load faster than they used to and if I'm transitioning between zones/levels/what-have-you with friends or others I am nearly always the first person to show up "on the other side."

Over all, I am loving the increase in speed for the little things. Windows boots fast, games load faster, it just feels faster all around.

====== Summary ======

I would highly recommend transitioning over to an SSD for anyone who does anything with intensive hard drive use.

As far as using this particular drive, that's up to you. The research I did showed that the Samsung 840 Pro Series was recommended over the 840 Series as it's a different type of memory that will allow for more writes.

Hope this was helpful and if you get this drive I hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

==== UPDATE June 2nd, 2015 ====
I still have this running flawlessly in my desktop computer. It has had Windows 8 on it for 6+ months now and hasn't given me any issues at all. It is still extremely fast and works fantastically.

I recently bought two more of these exact drives to replace me and my wife's laptop drives and those have worked wonderfully as well. Hers is running Mac OS X (It's a Macbook Pro) and mine is running Win 8.1. No issues on either of those either.
55 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2013
I've had this drive for about a week now and has been performing great. Hesitated a bit as I've seen a few reviews about failures so if that occurs I'll definitely update this review. For now very happy with it. Ordered an eSata cable and did a fast clone of my existing Windows 8 drive using the software supplied by Samsung, simple to use and fast clone. No problems replacing the drive in my new Sager 9170 laptop. When I bought the laptop I got 480G Intel 520 drive since Sager doesn't have the Samsung as an option. In doing so I saw a number of performance issue with the Intel drive. Replaced it with the Samsung and write speeds were almost double. Below are some benchmarks:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 29.789 MB/s [ 7272.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 55.441 MB/s [ 13535.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 408.493 MB/s [ 99729.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 364.990 MB/s [ 89108.9 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 49.0% (233.5/476.9 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2013/01/28 15:58:39
OS : Windows 8 Professional [6.2 Build 9200] (x64)

Much better drive than the Intel, moved that drive to my 2nd bay. I'm a power user, running VMware, Linux, Windows, etc., and the SSD really improves performance.
on January 13, 2014
As any IT person will tell you, disc drives have been the bottleneck in computers for over a decade. Processors, memory and graphics all run at multi-Gigabit speeds while drives have basically been stuck at Kilobit speeds. That's the reason big corporate computers run hundreds or even thousands of drives.. not for space (the drives a generally quite small), but for speed.

That has all changed and the future is here. While still a bottleneck, SSDs are miles beyond HDDs. As far as speed, these drives are to HDDs as HDDs are to floppy disks (at least that's what it seems like). Windows boots in 6 seconds flat. Open an application and it's there right then. This is, quite simply, the new biggest upgrade you can make to computer speed.

There are also some great utilities included.. the Samsung Data Migration tool being one of the best. It will allow you to migrate from your current drive to the SSD with just the click of a mouse.. you don't even have to shut Windows down during the migration, just a reboot at the end and you're on the SSD. The Samsung Magician is also a great tool. There are some rather complex settings that need to be made to the OS to get the SSD to run at its optimum and the Magician makes it a snap.. even for novice users. Magician also has a mode called RAPID which sets aside system memory for a disc cache.. which basically doubles the speed of your SSD, pushing the sequential I/Os to over 1000MBps! A word of warning: if you turn on RAPID, you SHOULD have a UPS because if the system crashes before the information in cache is flushed to disc, it is lost forever. Personally, it's a chance I take because the window of opportunity for such a crash is so small.

I personally use my Samsung SSD in my desktop, but it would shine even more in a laptop. Laptop drives are notoriously slow and power hungry while the SSD is fast and only uses a fraction of the power. Migrating would be a bit more difficult unless you had a second drive bay.. but you but an external SATA 3 to USB connector for a very reasonable price.

It should be noted that, as fast as these are, the numbers can be a bit misleading. Sure, they can pull 500MB/s doing sequential reads and writes, but that's not how computers usually work... it's the random I/O that we do the most. Now this drive screams at random I/O because there is no seek time (the time it takes the head on a HDD to get from one place to another), saving a LOT of time and making the drive many times faster, but not to the extent that you get from sequential I/O.. thus the adoption of IOPS (I/Os per second). In some ways it is a more accurate way to measure speed but when sequential I/O is measured in MBps and random I/O is measured in IOPS, you almost get into an apple vs. oranges thing. They do this because the random I/O speed in MBps of a SSD, while faster than an HDD, is not nearly dramatic as the difference in sequential speeds (more in the area of 3-4x faster as compared to up to 10x faster on sequential I/Os). Don't get caught up in this.. this drive is FAST!

Another "drawback" that these drives have (as you may have read in other reviews) is the hard limit on writes to the drive. What this boils down to is that each memory segment on the drive has about 1500 writes and then it's dead. This sounds worse than it is.. the drive is constantly trying to make sure that you don't use segments over until the rest have been used. The bottom line is that by the time this drive starts losing sectors to write limits, you'll want to replace it anyways because technology will have advanced so far.

This technology is only going to advance.. but it is far enough along to jump on the bandwagon. Put this in your computer and you actually won't believe your eyes.. and you WON'T regret it!

WELL worth the money (but even better on sale)!

ADDENDUM: You will probably need a 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" converter. Check your case to see how the drives mount! I have an Antec with slides for the drives and it will ONLY attach to the converter from the bottom. I bought the Silverstone Tek 3.5-Inch to 2 X 2.5-Inch Hard Drive HDD SSD Bay Converter, Silver (SDP08) to use with it because it was one of the few that I could tell for sure accepted bottom mounting. This is strictly case-dependent, so check your case!
on February 15, 2013
I purchased two of these units. There has only been one firmware update which I applied via Samsung SSD Magician to both drives before placing an O/S on either one. The drives I purchased came only with a CD containing documentation and the Samsung SSD Magician software. I am fairly impressed with Samsung SSD Magician as it is, but it could still use improvement as I will relate in my upgrade comments.

I used one drive in a new build. It has performed well and reliably in my new build.

I used the second SSD to upgrade an older computer. I was expecting to use the Samsung SSD Magician to clone, but I found out the hard way that it only has the hooks in place to invoke an installed copy of Norton Ghost 15. Norton Ghost 15 didn't come with my purchase, but I had previously purchased a copy for another use for which it failed miserably. I decided to give it another shot and installed it on the target PC.

Before I proceed, keep in mind that I am quite familiar with disk cloning and Windows 7 as I use this mechanism to backup all of my computers and have done so for over a decade.

Well, Samsung SSD Magician launched Norton Ghost 15 when I clicked on the "Clone Disk" icon, and Norton Ghost 15 did a disk copy, but the resultant drive just wouldn't boot regardless of what I tried. I think Samsung should consider partnering with another manufacturer such as Acronis True Image. My old drive was a Seagate, so I could legally download and install the free Seagate DiscWizard Utility (a Seagate-branded version of Acronis True Image). This utlity worked flawlessly and the resultant drive booted without issue. This uprgade raised the WEI for the hard drive from 5.9 to 7.9! PC bootup has been reduced to just a few seconds and performance is much snappier.
on February 18, 2014
This is my second Samsung SSD...the first was the regular 840, not the pro or evo, which I used to replace a WD Velociraptor 300gb. I was blown away with the boot time of that drive but for some reason my Windows Experience Index went from 7.5 to 7.0. It's been great but when the 840 Pro price dropped I bought it. Used the migration software and made the Pro my main drive. Now the WEI is 7.9. The boot time is a little quicker and loading games is even faster. I moved the regular 840 to a storage drive for music and movie. It's amazing how fast these things are, and the Pro has a 5 years warranty.

I have older mobo and CPU, Asus Sabertooth X58 and Intel i7 960 and they run great connected to the SATA 3 ports. I used the Magician software to configure both drives for max performance which was pretty easy to use with a lot of information about the drives and you can also use it to update the firmware.

I bought a Thermaltake 3.5 to 2.5 bracket to mount it. That would be my only complaint, it should come already mounted in some kind of bracket, doesn't even come with screws. Did I say this SSD is fast? it's super fast! There is no delay when opening up any programs...From what I've read, this drive should last a long time!
on December 24, 2013
This SSD made load times much faster and besides running out of room faster than I thought, I loved it. But after 5 months I started getting blue screens. Pulled out the SSD and loaded from my old drive and no more blue screen. Really bummed. Even worse was the run around trying to get a customer service person who specializes in SSD with Samsung. You can't call their normal customer service nor can you get help on their website (they don't offer support for SSD on their site). You have to call a number that has limited hours (If I was unemployed the hours would work great...). I registered my product on their webpage and left a typed message with their customer care about the issue with all my contact info. Now I get lots of marketing materials from Samsung but no response to my request...tried calling again and even though it said it was within hours well they are now taking a company holiday...awesome. Hopefully they monitor the comments here and respond.
I have a Spring 2011-vintage Unibody MacBook Pro 15", 2.0 GHz Core i7. I had been researching SSD drives for some time, and the Samsung 840 Pro was always relatively Rather Expensive, but also consistently highly rated for speed, reliability and life expectancy. For those reasons, I decided to pay about $90 more for the Samsung, vs. what a 512G Crucial M4 was going for at the time.

The Samsung SSD comes in a little lightweight cardboard box the size of two stacked-up CD jewel boxes. If your shelves of "assorted computer stuff" are like mine, you could misplace the box waiting to put this thing in! Installation was very straightforward, no different from a traditional hard drive. The Macbook Pro and the Samsung drive both support full 6 Gigabit SATA link speed, and this was correctly shown in the System Report once I had OS X 10.8.x freshly installed.

You don't need benchmarks to measure how fast this drive is. From a cold, turned-completely-off start, my MacBook Pro boots all the way to the desktop in about 10-12 seconds. Applications launch on the first bounce of the icon. Even Thunderbird. Even iTunes with a >100G music library. INSTANT. It's mind-blowing.

Plus, my laptop runs a few degrees cooler, and has better battery life. Neither of these improvements are huge, but they are noticeable. Also, in a quiet bedroom late at night with no window fan or A/C running, I also notice... the lack of the subtle whirr of the old hard drive. As long as I don't load the CPU enough to bump up the fan speed, my laptop is now ABSOLUTELY SILENT.

In short, the Samsung 840 Pro is a small package of pure, concentrated awesome. If your particular laptop still LETS you do things like installing memory or a hard drive yourself (i.e. unlike Apple's newest Retina Display models, where everything is factory-soldered to the motherboard) then these two vital upgrades will take you and your (in my case) two-year-old laptop, and transport you both to computer Nirvana:

1) Upgrade the RAM. Memory is very cheap these days. If you have 4G RAM or less, bump it to 8G or more.
2) Replace your rotating platter hard drive with a solid-state. The Samsung 840 Pro Series is an EXCELLENT choice here, and I think is worth every bit of the 20% price premium you'll pay over a more mid-line brand with the same storage capacity.

That concludes the review proper. What follows are some general SSD observations and tips, plus some advice specifically for SSD's on Mac OS X.

SSD ADVICE

SSD's are very reliable, but they do have a finite ability to write and re-write data in each memory cell of the drive. The Samsung has a 5-year warranty (and you DO make backups of your data, yes?) and really, the amount of data you'd have to throw at a solid-state drive to actually wear it out is so tremendous, no ordinary user will ever even come CLOSE to it. So drive wear should not be a practical or everyday concern. (A few months ago I dropped one of my old-style external hard drives a few feet onto a hardwood floor. THWACK... Dead. Makes the SSD advantage very clear.) Still, there are things you can and should do to avoid unnecessary wear on your SSD drive, and maximize its life.

* DON'T run performance benchmarks on your SSD. Drive benchmarking throws HUGE writes and reads at the drive to measure the performance. Let the computer mags and professional reviewers do this for you, don't cause YOUR drive needless wear just testing the speed.

* Enable TRIM support. This lets the drive manage re-written data more efficiently and properly refresh memory cells that become available as files are moved or deleted. (Mac OS X has had TRIM support since 10.6.8, but if your laptop didn't come with an SSD from the factory, you have to turn this feature on yourself, with a utility like TRIM Enabler or Chameleon SSD Optimizer.)

* Consider disabling "Hibernation". My laptop has 8G memory. This means that every time the lid closes and it goes to sleep, it writes ALL 8G OF RAM out to disk. Turn this feature off, you'll get less wear on your SSD, and the laptop will sleep and wake faster -- however, the one disadvantage is, if your battery goes completely dead, your system will lose its operating context, just like any computer when you yank the power. Command is "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0", and then you can remove the "sleepimage" file from /private/var/vm/ to reclaim the disk space. (PC laptops typically have settings for "sleep" vs. "hibernate" as well, but I didn't research specifics on those.)

* (OS X 10.8+ only) Disable local backup snapshots. Starting with Mountain Lion, OS X's Time Machine keeps regular backup snapshots locally, whenever the external backup drive is not available. These don't really gain you much, IMHO. If your laptop falls into the Grand Canyon or your internal drive croaks, those interim LOCAL backups won't be any use anyway. You can turn these "snapshots" off, save the extra thrashing of your drive, and Time Machine will still work exactly as before when you DO connect your external backup drive. Command: "sudo tmutil disablelocal".

* Disable the Sudden Motion Sensor. This automatically parks your hard drive heads to prevent a crash if your laptop falls off your desk. SSD's don't need this shock protection. (Of course, if you have a second, traditional, hard drive in your machine as well, your should leave this protection turned on.) Command to disable: "sudo pmset -a sms 0".

USUAL WARNINGS AND DISCLAIMERS

If you aren't already comfortable with working in Terminal and on the command line, or you don't know what "sudo" stands for, ask an expert to help. ("sudo" is God-level access to your machine's systems. Remember that sometimes God parts the Red Sea, but sometimes, God floods the entire planet and everything on it DIES. Be sure you know which one YOU are doing.) Google every command first, read a few articles for each one, and thoroughly understand what they do. Read the man pages for tmutil and pmset. I found ALL of the above information online pretty easily, but it did take some research. I am just putting all of the suggestions in one place to help you get started. (You may find additional suggestions and settings in your research that are helpful on YOUR system, but these are the ones that I decided to implement on my MacBook Pro after installing the Samsung drive, and they are working well for me.)

And do enjoy your Samsung 840 Pro. Every time you wake up your laptop, it's like going out to your garage to go grocery shopping, and remembering that, Oh, Right -- I own a Ferrari. COOL.
on December 7, 2014
Ever since I noticed that I could go make a sandwich, wash some clothes, and build a tree house fort while my PC was booting up I wanted a solid state drive. In my mind I just couldn't justify the cost, especially when it comes to the larger size drives. Well, now I can truly say that the cost of a SSD is worth every penny.

Set up was simple thanks to my Apricorn DriveWire USB 2.0 to IDE/PATA/SATA Universal Hard Drive Adapter ADW-USB-KIT (Red) that I purchased for a previous HDD size upgrade I made four years ago. I can't speak to setting up with the disk that comes with this SSD as I did not use it. As soon as everything was set up and I turned my PC on I noticed a substantial speed increase. I did not time how long it took to boot before adding the drive but I know I can't do all my chores while the PC boots anymore.

Although setup was simple I did a few extra things to get my system setup the way I wanted it and save some space on my SSD. Here are a few of the things I did:
Kept my HDD as a secondary drive for my documents, pictures, music, etc. on the HDD to save space on the SDD.
Moved my documents, pictures, music, videos, and downloads to my HDD.
Updated the computer shortcuts (documents, music, etc.) to access the HDD.

After setting everything up I have 512GB SSD for my OS and programs and 1TG HDD for everything else. This SSD has helped increase my system speed and streamlined my workflow exponentially.
on July 9, 2014
Only had this 512GB drive for 2 days, but some preliminary info.
1. The Data migration software did not recognize the OS partition on the internal hard disk, which is dynamic, not basic. So I used the EaseUS Partition Master Free software to migrate the data. It took 3 reboots for the 3 partitions on my Asus N53SV-X1 quad-core (2630QM@ 2gHz) laptop, but worked flawlessly. That software also lets you optimize the migration for SSDs.
2. The boot time for the basic machine with nothing connected dropped from 2:27 to 0:27. I can live with that. With all my junk hooked to the computer, external keyboard, trackball, 3 extra HD monitors on USB video cards, plus a Magic Jack Plus USB which has a long driver install routine, the boot time went from 3:05 to 0:45. Slower, but that's a real world number.
3. As others have mentioned, everything is snappier, including web browsing, Large file loading/parsing for video editing has improved about 100%.
4. I also went from 4gB to 8gB of RAM and re-tested. No real speed difference, though it will be handy for editing.

Conclusion: Get an SSD before you increase RAM, unless you have some really pressing need for RAM. (I'm not a gamer.) This laptop, late 2011 vintage, was not slow, but is now very noticeably quicker, to the point where upgrading to faster laptop is pushed back for me. The OEM drive was a 512 GB 7200 RPM Seagate Momentus, which, like the WD Black series I've used, is pretty fast. The 840 Pro puts them both in the weeds.
on March 26, 2013
This is the fourth SSD I've installed: have two 2-year old Intel SSDs, and a previous generation Samsung 830. So far all 3 have not disappointed at all on all 3 laptops, but setting them up was a bit of a pain in the neck! With the two Intel SSDs, I used Win 7 to shrink partitions, then made a system image on an external HDD of the OS, then made a recovery disk which I used to boot up with the new SSD installed...the Win 7 software was hit and miss buggy, usually took 2-3 attempts to finally work. With the Samsung 830 which went on a Lenovo T520, I decided to do a clean reinstall of Win 7 which entailed downloading a locked version of Win 7 from Microsoft (and they don't make it easy...the link was hard to find on Google and the downloading was quite slow), then used the Win 7 serial number on the back of the laptop to validate the reinstall, and THEN (this was the most tedious part) used another computer to go to the Lenovo website to download the necessary drivers, taking care to distinguish between essential drivers, and Lenovo bloatware. Each time, each SSD took the better part of a day to finally get fully operational.

With this new Samsung 840 Pro which is going into a Thinkpad x130, I ended up using the included Samsung Data Migration software from the CD when I found out that it WASN'T the dreaded Norton Ghost that Samsung provided in previous versions...and was THRILLED to find that it worked perfectly...cloning was finished in just under 30 minutes! Yep, HALF AN HOUR!!! Of course, that doesn't include the time required for me to first use EaseUs Partition Master freeware to shrink the main system partition on the OEM drive so that the total size of all the partitions to be cloned would be well under the Samsung's 120GB...maybe an additional 5-10 minutes for that.

However, it turns out that the Samsung DM software automatically clones ONLY the Windows 7 partition, so the SSD does not include the Lenovo Recovery partition. I am hemming and hawing about whether I really need to have the Lenovo Recovery software or not...am leaning towards not, since I have all my important docs backed up in the cloud, media is backed up on several external HDDs, so in case the SSD crashes on me (very low probability, from all that I've read) it would not be a big deal anyhow.

System boot up is not as fast as I had expected/hoped...around 42 seconds from the time that the Lenovo Thinkpad BIOS screen appears and when the Windows 7 password entry box appears...I was expecting more in the 15-20 second range. This may be due to the fair amount of Lenovo OEM utilities/bloatware that I haven't gotten around to deleting yet. However, sleeping and waking are almost instantaneous, maybe 2-3 seconds, which is amazing...about the same time as a tablet!

Oh and the Samsung Magician software was great...installed easier, then asked me if I wanted to get the latest version, 4.0---I did, and it was definitely an improvement! So generally, I couldn't be happier with this baby. Not as cheap as some other SSDs, but well worth it I think.

PS. I had also been considering the cheaper non-Pro Samsung 840 instead. After reading up on the difference between the type of memory controller (TLC vs NAND) and the extra 2 years' warranty in addition to the slight speed increase and less-slight lower power consumption, I chose to pay the extra $30-40 for this "Pro" model...and I think the excellent Data Migration Software might be one of the upgraded features...still can't get over how painless it was to clone the HDD onto this SSD...woooooo-hoooo, baby! :)))

UPDATE 3/30 = did a clean reinstall of Windows 7 after all...now the bootup time is down to the expected 15 seconds between pressing the power button and getting the login password screen. Lenovo website makes downloading the necessary drivers pretty straightforward. Total time to load Win 7 Home Premium was a mere 15 minutes! NOW it's smoking fast!