Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 274 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 308 reviews
on August 31, 2014
For all of you out there wondering if this lens is as good as they say it is? It's better. I'm a professional who puts my lenses to use on a daily basis. I expect and demand a lot from them. I'm not a brand whore and don't justify price simply because of it's label. However if there is one thing i have come to realize is that saving money can sometimes cost you money$$. And if there ever is an area of products that this pertains to, Lenses would be it. I have spent a significant amount of time shooting with both the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 mark ii and the Tamron SP 70-200 F/2.8 DI VC USM. And after shooting with both I was extremely surprised with how comparable these two lenses are. You don't have to make an argument for the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 mark ii. It's a beast of a lens that is more then you can ever ask for. I love this age in photography and it astounds me every time i'm able to use products such as this. I fell in love with the Canon and pretty much it was a done deal at least in my mind. Enter Tamrons SP 70-200 f/2.8 DI VC USM. In the past Tamron has always been a an alternative to it's higher priced better quality Name brand Competition. But that's where it usually would end. the Gap was always to big to ever really consider Tamron.

Tamron re- invented itself with the SP 70-200 f/2.8 DI VC USM. i mean hit it out of the ballpark with this one. This lens is just amazing. Just as good as the Canon... seriously! it's hard for me to say that but its true. It performs extremely well and really can handle everything I throw at it without a hiccup. Want to talk specifics ok. Lets tackle the points that factor whether or not one should choose the Canon vs Tamron. First up, Build quality: Canon without a doubt wins. Canons build quality is that of a tank. Very well made this thing will last you a good while. If there is one edge that Canon has over the Tamron it's this. That's not to say that the Tamron isn't built good because it is. Very well built in fact. Not all metal construction like its's rival but not cheap either. Auto Focus: Canon has the ever so slightly edges on this and I do mean almost unnoticeable. I mean we are splitting hairs here. The Tamron is quick to focus and I have come to rely on it just as I would the Canon. Image Stablization(IS) vs Vibration Compensation (VC): Tamron takes the cake here. Tamrons VC is fantastic. Better in my opinion than the Canon. You will notice on the Canon it has a choice of two IS modes. One for vertical movement and one horizontal movement. Tamron has no need for two. It's VC system covers it all (every direction) and covers it well. Bokeh: Canon uses 8 aperture blades and Tamron 9. Both producing beautiful creamy Bokeh. I would say they both are equal here and that's a really good thing for us.

All said and done They are both great lenses...oh wait I forgot one more thing Price. Almost slipped my mind (ya right): The Tamron is $1000 less. Let me say that again $1000 LESS! Unless you have money to wipe your butt with, that's a thousand dollars you could use to purchase another awesome lens or put it somewhere else you could get more use out of. I don't know about you but Tamron is the clear winner here. Price being the deciding factor for me. You can't over look it. I mean if it was flip flopped and Canon was a $1000 less and Tamron was $1000 more this would never be a debate. Canon would win hands down Canon die hards would be saying are you crazy $1000 less. There would be no Canon vs Tamron. But being that Tamron is the cheaper priced lens and that's an understatement, Tamron is now on trial and has to be the one to defend itself. Not that it needs it. Trust me this lens really steps up to the plate. You can't go wrong with either lens and both will handle everything with ease. But after all said and done Tamron really does it for me. Kudos to Tamron!
1010 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2016
I have shot with both Canon and Tamron lens, my test shows that Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 is sharper than Canon 70-200mm 2.8 $1000 cheaper and worth every cent, I just got the lens two days ago. I love it, I have to say it is one hell of a lens and very clear and perfect for budget photographers. check on my image attached.

Its worth the money and you shot will get great F/8 is very very sharp, and to help lizard was handheld.

UPDATE 9-9-2016 @ 9:13 pm Texas Time....

It's been about 16 days since I got them 70-200mm 2.8, I put a 1.4 Tamron teleconverter on the lens, I have added an image of the Spider creating the web, was taken with 24mm extender and Hummingbird with Teleconverter 1.4x @ 20 feet.

I know there may not be crystal clear, but the thing is I just started learning about macro and shooting in the dark lit area, still learning.
I would recommend both the lens and 1.4x teleconverter. I am soon to get a 2.0x Teleconverter, I will update the review after I get the new addition.
review image review image review image review image
on February 18, 2015
I'm not going to get into the specs because quite frankly, many on here don't care nor understand it. That's what DPReview and DXOMark are there for. I shoot 6A High School sports - namely, football, basketball, baseball and LaCrosse and purchased this lens shortly after it came out at the advice of Tamron's Midwest Regional Rep (who I met at one of the games I was shooting). Previously, I would rent a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 Mk I and then II. While they produced fabulous results (especially the Mark II version), they are absolute TANKS. If I didn't use my Manfrotto Monopod, my neck and shoulder felt like I had a concrete block hanging off me after a 3 hour football game. NOT SO with this Tamron. In fact, I stopped bringing the Manfrotto with me altogether after the first couple of games. By not using a monopod, it enables me to be very mobile with my EOS 7D (and now 7D Mark II) with Grip. I do experience some fatigue by the end of a shoot, but it's nothing near what the Canon beasts caused.

Tamron NAILED IT when they designed this lens - both optically and the physical mechanics. I find the results better than the aging Canon Mark I and on par with the Mark II version, sans just a little more chromatic aberration at times (ok, I had to throw one tech term in there - occasional very slight purple fringing in areas of the photo, if you know what you're looking for) and it's extremely well made (Canon's all metal body is definite overkill - unless you're possibly shooting in a combat setting). The Ultrasonic motor focuses very fast and the VC image stabilization is SUPERB.

Some have given this lens a lower rating on here, complaining it's "too heavy". WHAT?! This is the smallest and lightest lens in it's class and is optically on par overall with Canon's latest and certainly better than SIGMA's current 70-200 f/2.8 offering (although SIGMA's new "Global Vision" one is on the horizon and they are fantastic lenses, I own two).

It's built VERY SOLID, as good as it NEEDS TO BE. Will it hold up in extreme environments like Canon? Probably not, but I don't make a full time living off my photography and would most likely go the Canon route if I was. The lens has moisture resistant construction which I will say works very well - I've been caught in more than one downpour at a football game with my backpack at the opposite end of the field (my EOS 7D is also weather sealed). This construction also works to keep dust from getting between the lens elements. I use this lens outdoors almost exclusively in the windy, dusty midwest (except for basketball) and have taken over 10,000 photos with it. I own other lenses from both Tamron and Sigma and this lens is on my camera better than 90% of the time.

My favorite prior to this was my Tamron 60th Anniversary 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (STILL the best bang for the buck of ANY lens out there - although this one is giving it a run for it's money) and even though it's substantially lighter (with longer reach), I prefer this one. It's simply a JOY to use with AMAZING results. Don't be afraid of the weight of this lens, especially if you're a Rebel T-series user with a significantly lighter body than mine. Throw a grip on your Rebel and with this lens, you WILL look like a SERIOUS photographer out there. Incidentally, many people make the mistake of getting a very capable body and then throwing cheap lenses on it. Cheap glass will get you results accordingly. While this lens is a definite investment, Tamron has a $100 rebate on the table most of the time, thus at $1,400 making it the best value 2.8 on the market today (SIGMA will be countering shortly with their new offering). I have sent lenses in to Tamron for warranty work, and they are fabulous with very quick turnaround. At 6 years, it's the best in the business.

Yes, this lens will work on ALL CANON EOS DIGITAL SLR CAMERAS EVER MADE - both Full Frame and APS-C (in case you're wondering). Seriously folks, I can't say enough good things about this lens. I've been a serious photographer for over 30 years and it's right up there with the finest pieces of photographic equipment I have ever used. I am also a serious amateur astronomer with high end optics and some very expensive eyepieces and this lens is on par. Third party lens makers, namely Tamron and SIGMA used to be economy choices for those who couldn't afford nor desire the extra "freight" of owning Canon or Nikon glass. Not anymore. The are competing head to head and in some cases trumping the big guys all at a more affordable (and sane) price. You can't go wrong.
on October 11, 2016
Love the bokeh and sharpness of this lens!
review image
I received the lens last week and have used it a couple times with very good results. I've tested this against my buddy's Nikon version of this lens and this Tamron really kicks ass. Image quality wise, I see no difference between the two, though the Nikon focuses noticeably more quickly.

VC is very very nice to have especially in this zoom range. To be able to see and feel the VC compensating for your movements as you handhold really adds a sense of security to your shots. I've got some great images down to 1/10th of a second handheld.

The lens feels great, seems to be made of durable materials, and zooms and focuses quite smoothly.

I highly recommend this lens for anyone looking to not spend almost twice the price for the Nikon/Canon versions.
review image review image review image
on January 30, 2016
If you have been doing your research, then you have read how awesome this lens is. I have always steered clear from purchasing third party lenses. I shoot with all Canon "L" glass. But over the last year, I have sold two canon lenses and replaced them with third party pieces of glass. The first lens I sold was my Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS USM - version 1. I replaced that lens with this Tamron version. After renting it, and trying it out over a weekend, I was hooked! Sure, the Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS USM ii is overall a better lens, but it isn't better by much. If you are a pixel peeper, then you know that DXO scored this lens sharper than the Canon version. Just from my own experience with both images, this Tamron is probably within 95% - 98% of the quality of the Canon. It's seriously that awesome!

The bokeh is extremely creamy and smooth. The autofocus on this lens is blazing fast. I have shot with this lens for sunset and sunrise, and it never struggled to find a focus point. Your camera also plays a huge role in your autofocusing speed, but this lens is pro-quality. I use it primarily on a Canon 6D and Canon 7D Mark II. Since both of these bodies have amazing autofocusing center points, I used it on my very old Canon T2i, just to see if it was noticeably different. I couldn't tell any focusing speed difference.

The Vibration Control is advertised at four stops. I would concur with that assessment. I am not one who was gifted with the ability to consistently get sharp handheld shots at 1/30th of a second. With this lens, that is not a problem. It is also extremely quiet, and the focusing all happens internally. This is great if you are shooting with a filter, as the lens barrel will not rotate or extend.

The build quality is definitely not Canon's quality. While it has some plastic components, it certainly does not feel cheap by any means. Being that it is not all metal, it is much lighter than Canon's offering. This is great if you are going to carry this lens around all day. It also has dust and moisture resistance. Can you stand outside in a thunderstorm and shoot with this lens? Who knows, I won't find out. But, it is good to know that if I get caught in a drizzle, I can run to cover. So far, my only gripe (and I mean ONLY) is the backwards zooming. With my Canon zoom lenses, you zoom in by twisting the barrel to the left. I have no idea why Tamron decided to reverse that. It isn't a deal breaker.

At the end of the day, I am extremely happy with this glass. My other Canon "L" lens I sold was my 50 F/1.2. That lens is regarded as one of the best 50mm primes ever made. But, after shooting with Sigma's 50 F/1.4 ART, I couldn't get rid of my Canon version fast enough. Don't be afraid to buy third party lenses anymore. Both Tamron, and Sigma have significantly upped their game. I am now seriously thinking of selling a few of my other Canon red rings and purchase third party, and use the extra money for other gear.

See my attached sample photos!
review image review image review image
on March 20, 2017
I did a lot of research before buying this lens. A lot. I tried out Nikon, Sigma, and this and I'm glad I went with Tamron. I LOVE this lens. Fast, VERY quiet and super sharp. I'm doing a lot of portraits right now so this lens is great. Very versatile. A great value compared to the current Nikon 70-200 2.8 version. Very happy with this lens.
on April 9, 2016
UPDATE: Had an issue with the lens and had to send it in to Tamron for warranty repairs. EXCELLENT customer service experience. The repair was fast. I sent it to them with slow UPS shipping, and had it back in 10 days. Better experience than Nikon customer service.

I'm very happy I got this lens! The autofocus with it on my D750 is quiet and fast.... It's so fast that it's hard to tell if it even focused! It's as if nothing happened. It's now my fastest focusing lens.

I believe the image quality is actually slightly better than the Nikon/Canon versions.

The only reasons to get the more expensive Nikon/Canon version of this lens is if you're a professional who NEEDS your gear to be extremely rugged (i.e., you may get it beaten up), retain its value (for name-brand), and have perfect and top-notch auto focus speed (e.g., sports) because the Tamron may be fast, but is still a bit slower than the Nikon/Canon lenses. Otherwise, the Tamron is just as good if not better in every other category.

Some comments:
-Happy to get this range for landscapes; I no longer have to haul around primes and a telephoto. Yes, the Tamron is heavy and a bit large, but now I am carrying 2 fewer lenses, and I have a GREAT range for landscape (70-200 is my favorite area to shoot) in 1 lens.
-My first weekend shooting landscapes with this (sunrises, mountains, fog, valleys, trees, etc.) and not a single image was bad. All of them were perfectly focused and tack-sharp. The same could not be said for my Sigma 150-500, which constantly missed focus, even at 150mm.
-Again, incredible image quality. Tack-sharp.
-Focus hasn't let me down yet!
-Construction: build seems solid; it is a tad more "plasticky" than the Nikon/Canon, but as long as you aren't abusive, it seems great
-Durability: seems durable, but I've not had it for very long. Only time will tell.
on January 17, 2017
Fantastic lens.

Do this: rent this lens and the Nikon. Use the same body etc. and go nuts and take a bazillion pictures with both lenses. (Better yet, let someone else take the pictures so you're totally in the dark so to speak.) Load them into Lightroom (or whatever you use). Next, without looking at the exif data, tag all the Tamron pictures green and all the Nikon ones yellow (of course). Then look at the EXIF data to see how many you got right.

My hunch is you won't be able to tell. Sure, the Nikon focuses a bit faster. There is no doubt that it is a fantastic lens. It's also $2800 new. I love Nikkor lenses as much as the next guy but you could have this AND the Sigma 35 1.4 AND enough money for a decent tripod. 'nuff said.
review image review image
on May 23, 2016
About me: I consider myself a well-read enthusiast who has the budget to rekindle an old hobby back from 35mm dark room days. I purchased this lens after reading and watching many recommendations for this particular 70-200 mm format that is also available from Nikon, Canon, and Sigma. According to other reviews the Tamron does not lag behind the equivalents from Nikon or Canon, is better than Sigma and cheaper than the first two aforementioned manufacturers. So, while I cannot compare I made the following observations:
All the cameras I've had in my past I used with the kit lens (read cheap, small and light). To be honest, I was shocked when I opened the box. This thing was intimidating and it weighs accordingly. Personally, I can handle the weight and appreciate the reassuring constructions but I do not see my wife taking this to the playground. If you take notes with a pencil on a piece of paper this is like lugging a typewriter into the lecture hall. People notice you with it.
I use it on a partial frame DSLR from Nikon. I concluded to spend money on glass (which will hold its value) and to invest into a better camera if my interests continue to validate it. The lens is fast, focuses well, its inner movement is almost inaudible and is great for shooting moving kids - providing you can handle the weight. Portraits are stunning and the lens is incredibly sharp when your focus is on. I recently shot a parrot from a 15-20 foot distance indoors with no flash and you could see the skin folds around its eye. The feathers rendered nicely without any aberration, the colors were spot on and the bokeh nice and soft. I bought this through Emmy and assumed that the lower price and a third party warranty would give me a gray market product (even though it was not advertised as such) and was not disappointed in my assumption. Though, the lens arrived NIB, functions well and I've had no issues I will have to think about what I will do about this once I come back from my trip.