Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 2,266 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,372 reviews
on June 4, 2014
I worked in a veterinary hospital for many years, and I saw how clippers need to stand up to abuse. I also saw how blades can easily become gummed up and dull if they are used on dirty fur.
I bought this kit to use with two maltese/havanese puppies. First of all, make sure you use this only after the dog has had a good bath, otherwise you will quickly dull the blade from the sand and dirt in the fur.
Make sure that you regularly oil the blade, and that you repeatedly raise and lower the bar next to the blade while its running in order to spread the oil properly.
Also make sure that you check the temperature of the blade by pressing it against your finger, to ensure that you do not burn your dog. However even after running the clipper for 10-15 minutes at a time I did not find that the blade became overly hot.
For home use, this kit is really great for the price. It has a solid feel even though most of the body is made of plastic, and it seems like it will stand up to a good amount of use and a bit of abuse. It is also very quiet compared to the professional clippers that I used at the vet's office.
Take care not to drop it, as a consumer model like this will not take many drops before it won't run properly, or at all. And not dropping it is a challenge, because even though it feels comfortable in the hand you will be constantly manipulating and re-arranging it and your pet and there are many many chances for it to be dropped. If you are clumsy it might be good insurance to place a towel down so that if you happen to drop it the fall will be somewhat cushioned.
The scissors that came with it are also nice, and they are blunt to protect your dog.
Overall, my wife and I have saved $200 compared to what we would have paid a professional groomer, and this is only after 2 clippings. It takes some time and patience, but in general it is much less stressful for a pet to undergo grooming from an owner than from a stranger.
77 comments| 636 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2014
I Never groomed my dog and she hates going to the groomer. After reading other reviews I decided to try this. It was so easy and very quiet. My dog who is a beagle/schitzu mix and she actually was not nervous at all. I highly recommend this clipper. Very well made.
0Comment| 265 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2015
We bought the wahl u clip (not the deluxe) to clip our severely overgrown goldendoodle. Firstly, we selected two day shipping with our new amazon prime account, and when it took four days to ship at no fault of amazon, they still refunded the amount we paid for the clippers. So, as always, amazon rules.
When we did receive the clippers, they came with all the guards, oil, and brush in a convenient carrying case. They were heavy duty and had a good long cord. Our dog had some pretty bad mats around his ears, and these clippers cut through them like butter. One star is removed because you will need to stop every once in awhile (if in use for a long time, our dog is huge and hates being clipped so it took three hours) and let the clippers cool down as well as continually oil the blades. Otherwise, they were perfect for our uses - to same money at the groomer and help get our dog used to being clipped in an environment he's comfortable in.
review image review image
11 comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2016
At first our dog was weary of the sound, but when we put him on the countertop and used it as if we were brushing him, he calmed down. He has poodle-maltese like fur and it works great. Saves us from having to bring him every 4 weeks to the dog groomer! His hair grows fast and using this weekly helps keep it at bay.

I am nervous to use on his legs because of another post which showed that they accidentally caused a severe gash in their dogs leg and had to go to the vet emergency room to stitch up. The comb attachment is supposed to prevent the actual blade from touching the skin of your dog- but I suppose it is sometimes difficult to know which comb attachment length to use when your dog's hair is fluffy like a poodle.

So far so good!
on March 8, 2017
My new clipper arrived today and I'm already in love!! I have a 140 pound Newfoundland and have used thinning shears, straight shears to trim up his "pants", feathers and bottom of his feet. But it takes a long time and also I've seen other Newfies that have been professional groomed and wanted to shape my Newf's coat up like that. Not shaved in the least bit just shaped up and tidy. This clipper will definitely help me do that easily.

The clipper is easy to use, feels good in my hand and my dog doesn't mind the buzzing sound. Love that it came with a hard plastic case, an instructive DVD and even a grooming apron! What a deal for how cheap it was!! It's also very cool looking - chrome and red and very retro!!!

Tomorrow I'm going to clean up his scruffy chest and feet and get him all pretty for our therapy dog visit on Friday :) I will add before and after photos to my review later on.

PS: I can't stand the photos other buyers have posted of their shaved down dogs. Fur insulates them from both heat and cold so you're making them HOTTER not cooler when you do that!!!! Just COMB your dogs and get out the loose undercoat hair - stop shaving them!
on October 30, 2014
LOVE THIS WAHI... CUTS MY 17 YEAR OLD LITTLE GIRL GREAT
review image
0Comment| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2016
Owned many wahl clippers throughout the years like most things have progressively goten cheeply made. Used these clippers Three times and became so annoyingly loud and would not cut. I even tried putting in ear plugs! Well Wahl this is where I am drawing the line This is the end between you and I.
on September 6, 2015
Wow, I cut a small dog off my dog! I used to cut my kids' hair when they were little and they always threatened to hold me down and cut mine one day. Photos will show I was not good at it. So with clippers and a dog, what could go wrong? The dog, a shaggy little Border Terrier who had a 7 month growth of hair. Never having been a good one for reading instructions, I jumped in and started playing with blade guards. The middle one was the best place to start and then I started testing guards to see which one cut closer.

After an hour and lots of fun, there was a small dog of hair on the ground, but my real dog still looked like she could lose a little more hair. Hey, it will grow back, right?

My back took a rest while I had a cool drink, then I plopped the dog on the patio table (duh, should have done this to begin with) and started cutting with just the clippers and no guard. Whoohoo, first cut took out a divot. Damn, these things are really cool. As I developed a smoother stroke, we ended up with a really passable haircut.

What I learned: do not cut a wet dog and it will grow back.

I saved about $40 bucks for a haircut and had an immeasurable amount of fun. Now, what else can I trim? The other 3 dogs are all short haired, but wait....hey cat, come back here!
review image review image
11 comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2016
These clippers are AMAZING!!! I had no problem cutting my shih tzu puppy's hair. His hair was about 4" long when I finally decided to cut it, and the clippers worked well. They did not get caught anywhere. My husband, who has been cutting his own hair for years, used them to cut his hair and couldn't believe how well they worked. Yes, this is me telling on my husband :-). He paid much more money for his hair clippers than I paid for these, and these work better than his expensive clippers. My only suggestion to first-time do-it-yourselfers is to be gentle with the clippers when the attachments are on. They are very hard and without knowing it, it is easy to be rough and not realize you're being too rough. I've never cut a dog's hair before, and I was about halfway finished with his back and one side when I accidentally touched my arm with the clipper attachment and realized just how rough they could be. I wasn't hurting him while I was cutting his hair at first, but I'm sure the first couple of swipes with the clippers were not a comfortable experience for him.

The DVD was a great help, although they could have been more specific with each breed. They explained everything on the first dog they cut, but then only did really quick (2-3 minute videos) of each of the other breeds. However, for my shih tzu, the body was shaved, while the face, legs, and paws were where the most technical detail was needed. The DVD did cover the face--but for more detailed instructions on the paws, you need to watch some of the other cuts on some of the other breeds.

Finally, I would make sure to use the apron they send. I did not--the only experience I had with clippers prior to cutting my puppy was shaving my brother's head (no attachments, on the shortest setting with only about 1/4" of hair to cut)--and I was covered in hair!
on April 2, 2016
I'm happy to have the ability to shave my dog now. I have a 2 year old Bichon frise and it's not worth over $70 to groom her when I can easily do it myself now. The last few times I've went to different groomers, there's always one thing that goes wrong to the point I have to bring her to the vet and no she is not aggressive, but she is a bit squirmy when it comes to sitting still. I'm one of a few people that can deal with her movements so it's better shaving her myself and it all came out pretty good. And I don't have to bother scheduling an appointment at the groomers and worrying about their schedule. The only downside id say to this buzzer, is that it can get super hot quickly to the point that your hand cannot firmly hold the entire thing. Other than that, this is a good product.
review image