Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell XPS X8500-4741BK Desktop (3.4 GHz Intel Core i7-3770 Processor, 12GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, Windows 8) Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Barbra Streisand Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School

on April 1, 2013
This is an excellent unit for the average user, but not for everyone.
This XPS 8500 was purchased to replace my aging XPS 130 which had a fairly large case and a reasonably sized power supply. I expected to move my Hauppauge HD TV card and other full size cards to the 8500. Unfortunately, there were few specifications posted on Amazon's web page for this configuration. Features that attracted me to purchase the XPS 8500 included a fast i7 processor, a 2 TB hard drive and 12 GB RAM. The unit is shipped with Win 8, so the product afforded me an opportunity to preview the new OS.
When the unit arrived, I installed it without first opening the case. It took some time to get comfortable with the new OS, but everything worked well. After shutting down and opening the case, however, it dawned on me that the compact case would only accept one additional full-size drive and did not utilize rails for installation. According to the manual, it will accept two additional drives, but one of them would need to be solid state. Further, when attempting to transfer the boards from the old machine, I learned that the 8500 utilized PCI-1X. The PCI-X boards in the 130 wouldn't fit without first purchasing adapters or risers. Finally, the Hauppauge HDTV card was virtually useless since Win 8 home doesn't include Windows Media Center.
I advised Amazon that the catalog page needed more detail, and they added more information within 24 hours
55 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2013
I bought this machine to replace a five year old machine that had served me well. Aside from Windows 8 , witched is not Dell's fault, I am happy.
Notable to me is th video card peformance over the upgadded performance of my old machine. 12 gig seems to be just fine to edit pictures I took. I take a lot of if ficturethe with DSLR Canon TYPE Cameras. All my old equiptment works well.
Fucture expansion may be an issues years from now. But, with pc prices going the way they are, I can replace the machine easily enought so I am not concerned. Plenty of machine for most for years to come.
on January 13, 2014
I've been a fan of Dell for decades, but this is the last time I'll ever purchase one.

I purchased a Dell XPS 8700 from Amazon in September 2013 and the computer completely died one week after I received it. I returned it to Amazon and ordered this XPS 8500 because at the time, they were out of the 8700 and I needed it immediately.

Today this computer failed completely. It will not boot at all, and doesn't get as far as the Bios so I can't use the rescue disk, which is exactly what the last one did. Since this 8500 lasted a whopping 120 days, it's now out of warranty and I'm left with a piece of junk I must pay to have repaired if it's even possible.

That's two for two. I will never purchase another Dell.
on March 28, 2013
This is the best computer I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. And Dell Support is fantastic as well. I recommend this computer to anyone.
on April 29, 2013
Picked this computer up and received it last week on RealDeals for $599.00 new.

Its great for what it is.
Now one has to know that the powersupply is just enough to run it "as is".
I tried to put in a TV card tuner, and computer would not boot after that, and after I removed it, everything was fine.

So if you accept all that it is already..you wont be disappointed.
on July 22, 2013
This computer was purchased for data collection, research and analysis using several programs. This computer has handled very large programs better then anything I have used before. It is also a great everyday computer as well. It is very quiet, smaller in size and stylish. I am actually considering purchasing this same computer for my home office.
on January 30, 2014
Since I bought the computer everything was outdated on it. 2 month and several phone calls with dell, the server is corrupt? No windows 8 disc came with the computer from the seller. Now since my husband bought it off amazon there is no warranty because the warranty we paid extra for is nothing to do with tech issues (who knows why we would need a warranty against there parts) Let hope the sellers takes it back. Buyer beware when buying something from amazon. If we purchased this from Dell it would of been returned with no problems by now.
on January 25, 2014
I usually build my own computers but when my 10 year old XP box started to go on the blink I didn't have the time to research and build another one so I bought this Dell. Although the computer works well, the smartphone look and layout of the OS(Windows 8) is just horrible. If I wanted that I would have just bought a smartphone. That plus more than half the programs I used on my XP was not compatible with this computer and I'm not going to replace them nor could I afford replacing them.

Now if you're new to computers or want a smartphone type computer, then this is for you.
on August 11, 2013
even at low cost. this is a great pc. i bought one in May. and bought another on June because its awesome. really nice speed. while working doesnt fell like its even on. yeah have win8 but once you figure out how to use it properly its ok and save time. i m a designer and for my surprise i can do pretty much everything really fast... i wouldnt say that its the best for that.. but at this price for sure it is... gaming its awesome too. i can play a lot recent games on ultra without feeling any lag. so thats a plus too. you wont regret buying one of this. or like me buying a few to start a small company. thanks for your time reading this.
on August 11, 2013
Runs so Quiet and handles graphics for WoW better than any other computer I have had. I did not give it 5 stars because I am really not liking the Windows 8 it comes with. Plenty of storage space - more RAM than I have ever had stock on a computer out of the box and a GREAT video card already installed. Looks and runs perfect.