Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 220 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 396 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 22, 2016
I began placing sports-themed books many years ago under the tree for my "I'm just not a book person" husband, who up until then had only skimmed the daily sports page or an occasional magazine article. Suffice it to say, he now looks forward more than anything else to finding out which books I've picked out for him - usually go with biographies with an inspirational message, and he gobbles them up. Such was the case with this book - he just finished it, and believes strongly that it should be "required reading" for high school/college athletes.

In my husband's words, this is a "brutally honest" book - written by a genuinely good man whose life began unravelling under cocaine's mesmerizing spell. Each evening, I'd be given the gist of the latest portion he was reading - he was alternately shocked, intrigued, sad... so many emotional responses to what Mr. Gooden went through, experienced, the hell he inflicted upon himself and - by his own admission - upon others due to the all-consuming power the drug held over him. All of the promise of this 1986 "Rookie of the Year" who - rather than celebrate a World Series victory with his teammates - watched the celebration on TV from a crack house... all of the potential he had athletically, down the toilet. He readily admits to all of the second chances he was given (more than most people would ever receive), the pain his family endured as a result of his years of addiction - it takes a man humbled by life to be able to have the strength and courage to "own it".

I hear from my husband that Mr. Gooden was two years sober when the book was written - it's our hope he's able to stay the course and make good on all of the potential he still has to make a positive difference in the lives of others, to pay forward all of the second chances he received. Best wishes to him on his journey.
on February 18, 2016
I haven't read any previous book written about or by Dwight Gooden or the Mets team he played for. I can't compare excerpts between "Heat" and "Doc", and I have no plans to read the former. I give this book five stars because, for one thing, it's extremely well-written and never came close to boring me or seeing something in the book that was already mentioned previously in detail (as compared to the books I've read that were written by Fritz Peterson). The book isn't written for the baseball fan who wants to read Gooden's take on his greatness as a pitcher and all the games he won. The book is about his life, particularly his experiences, his flaws and struggles from childhood to present day. I imagine writing this book is part of his never-ending process toward recovery. I think it's a good read, and a very important one. You get an intimate understanding of what he did and how he did it, and how easy it was from him to deny and lie about his addictions, eventually really confronting them head-on without making any excuses for his behavior. I think many who read this book will take a hard look at themselves if they have or have had any similar issues experienced by Dwight Gooden.
on January 28, 2016
I still remember when Doc was ROY and the best pitcher I'd seen start their career in my lifetime. I'm a few months older than he is and the idea that someone my age(19 at the time) could do what he was doing was incredible. There were a few incidents in the book I didn't remember hearing about. I'm sorry that one of my "heroes" had to go through all the things Dwight did but I'm glad that through God, love, and family he has finally been able to get clean & stay that way. In 1984 I would guess that just about every male 20 years old or younger would have given almost anything to be Dwight Gooden, including Doc himself, and I'm sure it would have been a challenge for most of them. I'm glad he made it through all this alive, I'm glad he spends time trying to caution kids on the trappings of drugs, & I'm glad he wrote the book.
on July 18, 2017
A very good book. I was very happy with it. Very open and honest on his addictions and how he finally concord his deamons
on October 10, 2016
Good book. I wish Doc well. A great read not only for Mets fans but also for someone in recovery...Peace
on September 19, 2016
Sad what he went through but he is a great guy who made bad decisions. I'm happy he turned around for better.
on December 2, 2016
Good story every kid should want to know it I want to play baseball
on October 15, 2016
Good, honest story. Hopefully he has his life turned around. What a talent.
on December 26, 2016
Made me realize that addiction can happen so easily.
on August 29, 2013
I started reading the book and couldn't put it down. I will definitely recommend it to friends and family who might enjoy this book.