Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 29, 2013
I searched for a smart phone that was not on contract for a month. I read more reviews and looked into more information on the phones because I am on a fixed income and didn't have money to throw away.
I picked LG Opt Extreme because it had allI the bells and whistles I wanted and needed and nothing more.
I have been very happy with it. I've had the phone now almost a month and no complaints. I have had no drop calls. I can hear perfectly on it. I love the way it scrolls to each window. Hands down this phone is perfect for the price.
You think I paid Hundreds for it.
I haven't found anything I dislike about it.
I did have to go to a sight to get a protective case for it because no one carries it. Fatorder.com is the only place that carried it.
on December 26, 2013
As stated by others this phone does get "full" quickly and then is slow and not very responsive. Worse now that I have had it almost 6 months it frequently freezes up on me when using it,which is very frustrating.For example, I make a phone call and shortly after it is answered the screen goes dark, thus if I need to go to keypad (to enter, 1, 2 etc) for automated answers,I cannot and worse yet cannot even get screen to turn on so I can "hang up" or "end" the call. Actually now have been forced to call the phone from another phone number to get it to turn "on" so I am able to "end" a prior call. Too annoying and frustrating for words and of course I cannot return it as seems the return policy only allows for returns within 30 days. I regret purchase.
on November 6, 2014
I've owned this LG Optimus Extreme L40G phone since April 2013 (so for about a year and a half). It features an Android 4.0.3 OS with a 4" screen and 3G. I was a hold out. I used Motorola and LG flip phones for as long as I could. Then, after I was dumped by U.S. Cellular and balked at the Sprint replacement plan costs (and other options), I decided to try a no-contract plan and thus my first smartphone. Net10 service is pretty robust in my area and this phone seemed like the best choice, while being cheapest on Amazon. I paid about $110 at the time. The phone has remained unrooted. While I understand rooting is all the rage for Android, I prefer to not void the Net10 contract or delve into the technical pit.

The LG Optimus Extreme's biggest problems are its flash memory and media scanning, yet it still gets the job done. I believe much of the fault is the JellyBean OS which will not let you move apps to an external SD without rooting. Also, I've discovered that media scanning issues can be solved through rooting or improved file management. If you are person who likes to have numerous processes running at the same time and tend to add apps that are obvious memory hogs, then this phone will not work for you. Currently, I have 84 apps installed (some pre-installed) with a just a little over half the internal storage memory used.

As commonly happens, when I first purchased the phone, everything ran smoothly. As I added more apps, photos and music, I found that the phone lag continually increased and media scanning started to take forever. A month ago, I bit the bullet and reformatted everything. Here is a list of tips from my experiences that should help increase the enjoyment of this phone (unless you get a dud):

- Many apps run constantly because they have features like "push notifications" or "monitoring". After installing an app, first go to settings and turn off those features, if allowed and if it's not amazingly necessary. If it's not allowed, consider how badly you need the app. While you're in settings, change the storage choice from internal to external memory, if allowed.
- Watch out for memory-hogging apps like security antivirus (i.e. Avast) and web browsers (e.g. Firefox). Go for streamlined apps that still work decently (e.g. Opera Mini browser and 360 Security). Some compromise on features may be necessary, but I prefer a smooth-swiping phone. NOTE: Your first indication of a memory problem is when keyboard freezes. It's annoying, but turning off that keyboard's word prediction feature helps too.
- Use a file manager to move most files from your internal storage to your external storage (up to 32GB?). I use the ES File Manager app. This may keep any media scanning to seconds. If you have a corrupt file, then that's another story.
- Don't use the stock music player or photo app, as they can lag and lack features. I'm using Rocket Player and QuickPic apps instead.
- Clean up the phone regularly -- temporary files, cached items, and etc. 360 Security does the job for me, but Clean Master and other apps work just as well.
- Be ruthless about running apps. If there is a lag, go to "Manage Apps" and check to see which one is violating. Then, take any of the above steps to adjust it or uninstall. Yet keep task-killing to a minimum.
- In terms of battery conservation, use the phone's "Power Saver" feature. Also, keep brightness under 25% (or as low as you can go). The screen and streaming apps (e.g. Spotify) tend to drain most of the battery. If the phone starts to act erratically, it might be time to change the battery.
- If you don't like how the home screen looks or reacts in general, try a launcher app. I like Nova Launcher, as it seems to have improved my screen's responsiveness.

Lastly, I have comments on the display and other aspects. I have size 8 (women's large) hands, but I was hesitant to try a phone double the flip phone size. Yet the 4" screen is comfortable to hold and clear. It's not a struggle to read. The camera is 5MP, which is okay, but I really wish the picture was clearer. There is flash for the camera. Compared to what I had been using, the device seems fairly thin (0.44 inches) and lightweight.

I've had to replace the battery once, but I purchased some backup batteries on the cheap from Amazon as well. There are not a lot of cases or screens for this phone. It's an older model now, so the pickings are even slimmer. I believe the phone is sold as the LG L5 phone in countries outside of the U.S., so you may have luck finding more options by using that information. I have always had a case and screen protector, but really the phone seems extremely durable considering how many times I've dropped it. I enjoy no scratches or visible damage.

You will need to purchase an airtime card for Net10 as part of the setup. It will cost between $50 and $70, depending on the type. The monthly plan is affordable for sort-of unlimited all-around service (i.e. if applicable, piggyback on AT&T will slowdown your data to a crawl if you go above 2.0 GB each month, so use secured wi-fi when you can). You can set up autopay with Net10 and get a discount on the monthly cost.

All in all, yes, there are better smartphones out there. Yet I did not want to pay more than I've ever been willing to pay for a phone, which is close to $100. I conclude that the LG Optimus Extreme, with some hiccups, has served me well for that price point. As I tend to do, I'll continue using this phone until it breaks down completely or becomes extremely out-of-date. LOL.
on April 20, 2014
This phone was an upgrade and a second phone. I love it! The screen is large enough for me not squint, the keys respond quickly, the space is awesome, the call quality is clear, it's loaded with standard apps that don't take up most of the usable space before you can load the apps you want, and the camera is superb.
Now for the bad news.
Net10 sucks rotten eggs!
That's as nice as I'm gonna get.
I spent 73 minutes on the phone with them transferring phones, I've been without phone service with this phone all weekend since Thursday. I KNOW they won't credit my account automatically so zI'll be sure to call them about that. Thank goodness I have a backup phone.

UPDATE:
After using this phone for a few weeks now, WARNING...
My touchscreen stopped operating properly and after using up the allotted data , the internet won't work.
Unfortunately, I put on the screenlock and have had to reboot 7 times to get the keyboard to show up. The characters repeat quickly at the slightest touch and when I try to hit the "o" I usually end up getting the "i".y Sometimes the keyboard doesn't respond at all.
Like right now.
Now I know why I got such a good deal on it.
So far, the sound quality is still god but I have a feeling I'll be replacing this phone sooner than later.
on February 17, 2014
I traded in my three year old HTC Droid Incredible for a new LG Optimus Extreme thinking a newer phone with more memory and upgraded operating system would clear up the issues I had with my older phone. Unfortunately I've had just the opposite results. I can think of nothing good to say about this smart phone.

The display is awful. I need to hold my phone so I'm looking at it directly to see the screen as even a small angle washes out the colors.

The sound on the external speaker is weak.

The available Google apps for the 4.0.3 operating system are inferior to the ones that came with the older 2.3.4 operating system on the Droid phone. I really miss my Navigation, Places, and phone apps that always worked well. The replacements work very poorly.

Worst of all, the phone is almost constantly crashing. Every day I have to reboot the phone to try and get unresponsive apps to function like they should. I used to enjoy having a smart phone but this new phone is just a constant source of frustration.
on May 15, 2014
I purchased the LG Optimus Extreme through shopcelldeals here on Amazon for under $30.00 listed as a refurbished phone so I was expecting some minor flaws but it was the exact opposite. The phone came very well packaged with everything you would receive as new. Everything was individually wrapped and sealed as new. This phone is locked for the net10 service which operates this phone using AT&T tower's. The phone feels good in your hand. It comes with a 5mp camera which isn't the best but for an entry level phone is pretty good. The processor is clocked at a listed 800mhz but actually the processor is dialed back from a 1000mhz. I bought this phone for my 12 yr old daughter which was using an iphone 4 until this phone came in and she gave it try. The phone comes with a 4gb memory card which is needed at the least for music and photos. While it would be nice if you were able to tranfer certain app's to the sd card to open up phone memory that is just a downfall to having an entry level phone. Cases for this phone are hard to find outside of Amazon but really why would you want to go to a store and pay $20.00 for a case that you can purchase on here for $3.99. My daughter watches movies and plays games and the screen does good at showing the picture with no lag or weird coloring like some cheaper phones. I was so impressed with the refurbished phone and 3 day shipping from ahopcelldeals on here that within a week of having the first phone I went ahead and ordered a second to resell locally. For 29.98 including shipping this is by far the best phone for the money and I will definitely order again from this seller.
on April 28, 2013
I have better service where I work then some with Iphones and Samsung contract phones that cost a lot more for both the service and the phones. They have had trouble getting 3G or 4G service and wifi wouldn't pick-up the service i he building, My phone had both. I love the feel of the phone. Easy to use and setup.
on April 4, 2014
Love the phone! No real issues with the phone hardware, but I am having to make a few adjustments with this phones Android OS. ie phone must be on for the alarm to function; not a big issue, but my old LG900 (not a smart phone) could be fully powered off and still function as an alarm clock. I use this new LG as my morning alarm clock, but leave in powered on in "airplane mode"
on January 30, 2013
UPDATE:
When I first got this phone I was amazed at how fast the data and Internet was.
Now that I have owned it for nine months, StraightTalk has "throttled" my data usage and the Internet is unbearably slow.
It was my fault for not reading paragraphs 6 & 7 of the Terms & Conditions...which clearly state: "If you use the phone too much, we will bring your data usage to slower than a crawl."
If you need truly unlimited usage of data, then do not buy this phone or any service from StraightTalk or Net10.
If you find that $45 p/mo for phone service is a good deal, then go ahead and read my review. I will paste paragraphs 6 & 7 at the end (bottom) of this product review.

REVIEW:
I finally cut the apron strings and joined up with StraightTalk.
Amazing low price for unlimited everything!

LG Optimus Extreme is terrific for the price.
Comes with the Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" Operating System.

The YouTube experience was much faster and smoother using my LG phone as a hotspot than my ISP cable service provider!

At the end of this review is a link to the online owner's manual.

3G speed is moderate compared to 4G, but there is no 4G in our area.
As with all localized area networks, speed will vary. In the daytime in our area the data slows down to a crawl using 32Kb chunk sizes...which takes some time.
At night I was getting remarkable data speeds -phone & hotspot.

After thinking about it for a short while and scouring the StraightTalk website for loopholes, misleading info, bait & switch...I found none! Very simple pay as you go monthly service which gets even cheaper if you buy up to a year in advance.
No credit check, no age limits.

With the millions of apps available for this phone using a very new release Android 4.0 system, you should be able to do just about everything phones costing 3 times as much do. (within reason.)

Touch screen is nice and smooth as well as the look and feel. Large screen.
Pattern Lock or Swipe.
Excellent voice command, voice to text message, etc.
Works well as USB modem or wireless Hotspot.
4GB Micro SD Card, USB Wall Charger, Battery, USB to Micro USB cable included.

The instructions/owner's manual are not very thorough. Best to just explore all menus and do what I do every time I research... go to YouTube.

The speaker when playing movies/media is not that loud, but when using it for speaker phone is okay.
One feature I found useful is the standard mini 1/8" headphone output. You can use regular earbuds/headphones and still talk. You can also use the headphone as an output for calls or media.

All in all for the price and features combined with the 4.) Android system and super low cell service through StraightTalk...I'm much happier after being a Sprint customer for over 12 years. When I called them, they told me they couldn't compete. I am in the process of having my old number transferred to my new phone service. No charge.

As of Jan 2013 I am getting "unlimited everything yearly service" for less than forty-three bucks per month. This phone is five bucks less than the one I bought from StraightTalk and comes with a one year warranty.

UPDATE:8/23/2013: 8 months later everything is still great with the phone & OS.
Tons of apps for everything. Camera still sucks! -lol.

If this review has helped please click the button below! :-)

Here is a link to the online owner's manual in PDF form:
(copy and paste all of below into browser address bar)

[...]

PARAGRAPHS 6 & 7 (TERMS & CONDITIONS)
6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging and (iii) Internet browsing and ordinary content Downloads. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plan MAY NOT be used for certain unauthorized uses that adversely impact our service. Examples of unauthorized uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uninterrupted mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of uninterrupted continuous video; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. A person engaged in unauthorized uses may have his/her service throttled and/or terminated. Customers will be provided notice and an opportunity to take corrective action with respect to unauthorized uses before their service is terminated.

Unlimited voice services may not be used for monitoring services, data transmission, transmission of broadcasts, transmission of recorded material, interconnection to other networks, telemarketing activity or autodialed calls or robocalls. Straight Talk reserves the right to cancel or deactivate service, and/or reduce data throughput in order to protect the Carrier's network from harm due to any cause including, without limitation, the excessive and/or unauthorized use of Straight Talk service. Straight Talk reserves the right to limit or reduce data throughput speeds or the amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate Service, to anyone Straight Talk believes is using the Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plan in an unauthorized manner or whose usage, in Straight Talk's sole discretion, adversely impacts the Carrier's network or customer service levels. Straight Talk will presume you are engaging in an unauthorized use in violation of these Terms and Conditions if in Straight Talk's sole opinion, you are placing an abnormally high number of calls, or repeatedly placing calls of unusually long duration, or if your talk, text or Mobile Web usage is harmful or disruptive to the Carrier's network or service levels. If we determine, at our sole discretion, that you are using an unlimited service in violation of the Straight Talk Terms and Conditions of Service, or in any other manner that we deem to be unreasonable or excessive, then we may terminate individual calls, terminate or reduce the speed of data connection throughput, Mobile Web Access or terminate your service, decline to renew your service, or offer you a different service plan with no unlimited usage component.

Straight Talk may discontinue providing Service to you, discontinue your account, terminate data connections and/or reduce data throughput speeds for customers whose usage, in the sole judgment of Straight Talk: (1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers; (2) may be harmful, disruptive, or interfere with the Carrier's network, Straight Talk's service or the ability to provide quality service to other customers. For a detailed description of activities that could result in reductions in data service speeds or service interruption or termination, see paragraph 7 and the section entitled "Straight Talk Features: Intended Use" under the Mobile Web Services Section below. By initiating Service and placing or receiving calls, you acknowledge and agree to Straight Talk's right to terminate your Service under these circumstances.

Straight Talk may modify or cancel any Service or take corrective action at any time without prior notice and for any reason, including but not limited to your violation of this agreement.

7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.
review image
2929 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2013
My G2 touchscreen had become unresponsive so I needed a new phone. Purchased this phone since it had the latest os but didn't think it would be that great because of the price. This is actually a great phone regardless of price. The screen is nice and the memo feature that lets you draw/write on whatever is on the screen. My youngest gets a kick out of taking pictures of his brother then draws on his face and texts them to his dad.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.