Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 85 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 95 reviews
on March 5, 2015
... Which is the screen. In this day and age of 1080p phones and such, having to deal with a resolution this low, when you're taking 12mp images is annoying. The actual pictures(and seeing them on a computer or tv), and the taking of them is very nice. Focus is fast and barely slows in low light. The camera is small, though not the lightest I've used(that's the Sony Nex 5tl), buttons have a nice feel, the menus give me all the options I want in a nice format(for best menus see Olympus). Both lenses are acceptably sharp, feel good, and zoom smoothly. Both lenses can turn the camera on when unlocking them, share the same filter size and can use the same hood included with the 30-110mm. The pop up flash adds just enough to help without blinding anyone when I'm taking pictures. The lack of Wi-Fi is easily over come with a flash air card. All in all good value from Nikon.
on December 27, 2014
Pros: A good amount of manual controls for the beginner, or someone who wants a nice compact SLR type of camera. There are some definite limitations, but you have to expect that for the price.

Cons: When taking a lot photos or even a short amount of video, the camera gets very, very hot. And if you're wanting to take a lot of video, the camera will overheat and shut down. I think that's a design flaw. Really limits your abilities.

Summary: It's a good camera, takes good pictures, pretty descent in low-light, especially for the money. I think that's what it comes down to. For the price, I don't know of a real contender. If you're wanting to use this as an entry into professional photographer, I would suggest saving your money and purchasing something that's designed for professional use. Not bad for family use.
on December 27, 2014

on April 27, 2014
I originally purchased this camera for a trip abroad but was worried it would not do everything my D90 does. I was wrong. It did more. Easy to use, easy to carry, a pleasure to shoot with.
on July 14, 2015
GREAT camera to go alongside my Nikon DSLR. It's my wife's go to for picture taking and she hasn't taken a bad shot yet!
on June 11, 2014
The Nikon 1 camera is the smallest interchangeable-lens system available. It is lightweight, highest quality, and easy to use. The J3 is the most advanced of the line, though I love the J1 and J2. The J3 is also the lightest and smallest of the three models.

I do wish Nikon hadn't removed the 'display' button from the back of the camera, however. You must go into the menu to control what you want to see. And, in the earlier models, the flash is controlled by popping up the flash manually with a button next to it. In the J3, it will always pop up automatically unless you use the flash controller on the back and select non-flash mode. I tend to shoot without flash and I find it annoying to have to turn it off again every time I power up the camera.

The J3 with the 10-100mm lens is just about all the camera one could want. The lens takes the place of two kit lenses (10-30mm and 30-110mm). It is a beautiful lens in my estimation, and remarkably small for its zoom capability. I have all three plus the 10mm and 18.5mm fixed lenses. The zooms are smooth and clean. The fixed lenses are even cleaner. Beautiful bokeh on the 18.5mm (equivalent of the standard 50mm portrait lens in a 35mm film camera).

The J3 is very fast auto-focus, and the pictures are just about as good as one could want. Plenty of detail for blowing up shots if you use the full 14.2mp available. Simply great.
on August 2, 2014
Love it! I get much better photos than my old canon. But I truly regret that I should have bought a 10-100mm lens than two lenses. Just few dollars more expensive but much convenience you will enjoy during a trip.
on February 10, 2014
An excellent camera, almost too compact. I purchased an attachment to make it easier to hold and it makes firmly holding the camera much easier. The only negative comment I have is withg the shutter release. It fits so smoothly in the camera case that I find it difficult to know when by finger is toiuching it. There needs to be a small projection on top of the release so you will know when your finger is in contact with the shutterr release.
on March 24, 2015
early days, still trying to get to grips with all the features, but I am very pleased with my Amazon Warehouse Deals purchase... super duper good value. Hopefully many happy snapping days are ahead.
on April 19, 2015