Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 20, 2015
I've had this camera for one day. My report after that duration: AMAZING. As I understand it, this camera has the same APS-C sensor that had the magic juice for Nikon and Pentax a few years back. The image quality is superb. I had ordered an LX100 but when I looked online and looked at the photos that camera gets and the ones people were getting from the Ricoh GR, I returned the LX100 without even taking it out of the box. I like the solid feel of this camera, being able to hold it with one hand, and the size: it is very small. I can even fit it in a pocket together with an iPhone. To be fair, I will qualify a few things. The autofocus is definitely on the slow side, particularly in low light. Though generally an action photographer, I'm willing to put up with that in this case for the tradeoff in image quality. Once focus has locked, it is pretty accurate. The battery charging system also drives me mad though I have a Wasabi system on order. Color rendition under fluorescent lighting can also be a bit scary (though I presume this can be largely bypassed by shooting in RAW). But I really love this camera overall. The dial controls are so much more accessible and user friendly than most other cameras on the market. I love being able to adjust ISO, shutter speed or exposure compensation without taking my finger off the shutter. I've used things like the LX3 and a whole slew of m43 cameras and this easily exceeds those in image quality. It's hard to quantify in words but try this camera out and you will see: it is a photographer's camera.
Enthusiast: Chesson January 16, 2017
Great image quality. Easy to carry. Easy to use. I often carry it instead of my Nikon D7100, The most impressive thing to me is its durability. Months ago I had it in a shirt pocket while riding my motorcycle to a local state park for photos. I hit a bump and the camera flew out of my pocket and on to the street... at 50 miles per hour! I saw it bouncing down the road in my mirror. I went back to get what I thought would be just a broken hunk of junk. It still worked! The case was ground down in spots and some of the plastic near the shutter broke off. It still works flawlessly, though! This is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I included a photo of the camera after the incident. If you need a durable, portable camera with great image quality then you want this camera.
review image
on July 25, 2014
The camera seems awesome and I know I'm going to love it- if I can just get the battery charged! The charger they supplied is NOT the charger (AC-U1) specified on the side of the box and in the manual. In it's place was a VERY cheap looking Chinese made model P8 "travel charger". Did I get snookered? After trying to charge for over 3 hours, the camera lasts for ONE picture, then it says "Replace Battery" and powers off. I hope the cheapo switcho charger it came with didn't fry the battery and/or the camera!!

Trying to charge it off the computer now, will update this review when I know what's what.
Not happy.

UPDATE: It could only be returned and not exchanged as this was a third party seller. Amazon was awesome about fixing the issue and took a good discount off of the price, saving me the trouble of returning and repurchasing the camera. Happy again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I've now used it for a few days and can give a review from my short time using this camera:

The camera in a word is Fantastic. It'll put a smile on your face.

If you want DSLR resolution in a point and shoot body, here it is. They built this well and intelligently. As another reviewer noted they must have had some true photographers working with the design team as it just feels like a no-nonsense grown up pocket camera for photographers. The buttons, grip and menu are form through function.

The JPGs are easily on par or exceed what I was getting with my Nikon D7000 resolution wise. The colors are different though. Not bad, but not as warm as that Nikon look that I'm used to. The JPGs are maybe a little more yellowy(?) than the Nikon standard look. I used Capture NX for post and don't have Lightroom, so I haven't been able to work with the DNG files this camera makes and can't comment on that yet.

The metering is definitely on the hot side, not nearly as good as Nikon's. Most pics are just brighter with blown highlights somewhere in them even with their evaluative metering. Dropping exposure compensation helps but does not completely fix.

The firmware update to 4.0 has fixed a lot of the problems seen on older reviews. It powers up nice and quick, ready to shoot by the time you get it out of your pocket and aimed. Auto focus is also decently quick and works for me the vast majority of the time. Snap focus works great if you're good at judging distance to subject and predicting where that subject will be. I expect a little slow down focus in low light, so no real complaints here. 4fps shutter works nicely in JPG mode. The shutter is very quiet but you can hear it.

The Silkypix editing software it came with is borderline useless. Maybe I'm just getting to old to take the time to learn a whole new editing tool. But safe to say you'll want Lightroom if you want to work on this cameras DNGs.

Battery life is fairly short, you'll have to be selective on what you shoot if your going to be out all day with one battery on you. I haven't completely used one up yet, but I was under 200 shots when the battery indicator started showing 2/3rds charge.

Wifi card works flawlessly on it.

If 28mm is too wide for what you need, you can crop to 35mm or 47mm at the press of a button. Resolution drops to about 6 megapixel at 47mm, still very useable. You've heard about all the customizations you can configure the buttons for, and there are many, but you can't configure every single thing as some reviews would have you believe.

Overall, a very confidence-inspiring tool for taking photos where ever you go. It feels trustworthy and reliable, and just takes damn fine pictures. No regrets so far, other than the above mentioned charger debacle. But I'm really liking this camera, can't wait to use it again tomorrow. Here are three samples from this past weekend:

8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on July 18, 2015
Excellent, configurable controls, lightweight, below average battery life, good picture quality, fussy auto focus in low light and macro.

The photo quality is not what all the glowing reviews state. It is as good an entry level DSLR like a Canon Rebel, because it has the same size APS C sensor, but no better. But it is a smaller camera, that's why I bought it.

Also, keep in mind that it is a fixed lens with no zoom.

Overall, a well-built, pocketable and powerful tool with a few flaws. Buy it for the size and price. For super sharp images you'll have To pay twice the price and size.

UPDATE: I've been using the camera for 2 weeks and have processed a number of images (RAW, using Lightroom) and I'm upgrading my opinion. The images are sharp, vivd and the the color balance is spot on. (See examples). The camera interface is outstanding- very natural to use. Just buy a soft case with a belt strap, and a wrist strap and you can take it anywhere.
review imagereview imagereview image
on November 25, 2014
I bought the Ricoh GR for street photography. It works great. The Snap function is very helpful. In street photography you do not have the time to center the subject, so the Snap function uses the focus distance you set and takes the photo. Also the subject tracking is another great feature. It is very quick in finding the moving object. It quiet, but not as quiet as the Fujifilm X20.
4 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
Definitely my favorite camera. I have always liked mirrorless cameras and sold my SLR for this one. Great for candid shots and carrying on a daily basis. A majority of the great photos I've taken have been because this camera was in my pocket or because of its inconspicuousness. Very clear photos and defined color.
review image
on April 19, 2016
Finally getting some images off this camera, purchased it for backpacking and trail hiking camera, got tired of lugging my big gear up and down mountains. Camera functions well, and takes some pretty nice pictures. Haven't extensively tested the capabilities yet, but for a nice little travel camera I'm impressed. Really like the manual functions, and the customization you can do. RAW shooting was a must for me.
on June 6, 2015
just awesome, snap focus is worth the price alone. This camera feels great. Sturdy construction, it has a matte finish i really like. its tiny, and shoots beautiful raw images. Also the lens is nice and fast, and the menu seems totally intuitive and easy to navigate. I also really like the fully costomizable options on the dial. Great camera for the money. Also there are some nice accessories to add to this camera making it a street photographers dream. I am very happy with my purchase.
on March 2, 2014
i had a DSLR, but sold it. now i have only this and love it. small and stealthy. its always with me. the lens is sharp and i don't find fixed lens a problem at all. zoom with your feet. i wish it is a bit faster.
colors are nice, but shoot RAW, just to get more detail. black and white rendering is a killer.
i bought GR with wasaby power battery pack and i can go all day and night.
amazon shipped that promptly. great service.
p.s. i bought also SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC class 10 UHS-1 card 45/MB
on April 23, 2014
After using a Leica M9 and various lenses for a number of years, I became tired of the size and weight and started looking for smaller options - and yes, I know you can't compare a Leica to the Ricoh … necessarily :). The Ricoh is built for street photography and it is an absolute joy to use. It has become my favorite camera and I find I reach for it 90%+ of the time.