Best kids' books of February Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Amethyst Jewelry Deals and savings in Woodworking Shop Popular Services blacksails blacksails blacksails  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon STEM

Color: Pink|Size: Innotab 3S|Change
Price:$42.39 - $279.00

Showing 1-10 of 1,437 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,239 reviews
on September 17, 2012
We were looking to purchase a kid-friendly tablet for our 4-year-old for her birthday. I was debating between the LeapPad and the Innotab. From the reviews the LeapPad had only had 1 thing going for it over the Innotab, and that was the camera. Well, VTech stepped it up with the Innotab2!

My only buyer beware statement is that it eats batteries. If you don't have rechargeable batteries, you will hate this toy. The battery life, depending on the quality of battery you buy, is really only a couple hours max. I would definitely recommended rechargeable batteries. You can also purchase an AC adapter for about $10, but keep in mind that this doesn't charge the Innotab. It merely supplies power.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 15, 2011
I was extremely excited to purchase the Innotab for my toddler. I watched the information/ demonstrations on You Tube. I preordered the tab from Amazon and counted down the days until it came. We made it a big family event the day that it came. My son instantly loved it!! However ours was defective, you could not turn it off, or return to the home screen to change applications, and the volume would not turn down. However with all new products there are glitches and defective units in the first release.

Despite that I can still give my honest opinion about the things that I like.
*The design- My son was able to hold and navigate the system easily- it seemed durable
*The Penguin Ice Game- This was my sons favorite... he is two and was able to play on easy he enjoyed this game more than the Mickey Mouse game that I ordered
*The ability to download applications

Areas of Dissatisfaction

*Preloaded Photos- Lack diversity- and my family is multicultural - the photos cannot be deleted- therefore my child is unable to view a picture that resembles anyone in his family. However you do have the ability to add
*The available applications - the selection is poor at best -
*The online capabilities to upload movies and pictures were still under construction
*Battery consumption - we went through a new set or Duracell batteries in three days (the amount of time we had it)
*V-tech customer service- prepare to be on hold - forever!!!

Overall it is a decent toy. Just keep in mind it is a toy not a tablet. This toy has great potential it just needs more time to develop. For that reason we are going with the Leap Frog version for Christmas.
2525 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2011
I bought the InnoTab, both pink and blue for each of my children for Christmas. They've both loved playing with their InnoTabs!

The Pros:

5 inch touch screen - It's fairly reactive to my touch, and that's without using the included stylus.

Menu System - The menu system is very easy to use and navigate.

Apps - It offers a Calendar where you can input important events like Birthdays and Holidays. It offers a fun Coloring app that is fun to use and draw with. It also includes an E-book, with the option to download more from their VtechKids site. There are many more included apps than what I've listed here (8 preloaded).

$3 Downloads - I love that you can download additional e-books, games and other apps for just $3.

SD Card - This is probably the largest selling point for me as a parent. I bought an 8GB SD card for each InnoTab (it can accept even larger SD cards). I was then able to preload it with tons of children's songs that we had as CDs. So now the InnoTab works as an MP3 player. Even more fun is I was able to convert our kid's DVDs and load them onto the SD card. I fit 6 full-length DVDs onto each card. (See below for what I used to do the conversion). That "other" kid tablet does NOT include the ability to add an SD card, which is again why this was such a huge selling point.

Audio/Visual - The MP3s that I preloaded on the SD card sound great through the speaker on the InnoTab or when using a pair of earbuds. Movies tended to be a little quieter, so earbuds or headphones are good to have for them. Also the movies looked great! They weren't fuzzy or grainy and I was able to fastforward them, using the slidebar, and the Video never disconnected with the Audio.

Price - For $80, this is a SUPER deal for a kids tablet!

Kickstand - I know this is a minor thing, but I really like that it's there. Your kids can set it up either vertically or horizontally and play games or watch movies without having to hold it.

AC Adapter - This is a life saver. Forget using batteries, even rechargeable ones. Just buy the AC Adapter (and car adapter if needed). They are only $10 from VTechKids.com. The reason I listed this as a Pro is because, I'm not giving my kids batteries at all. They don't last long, and can get lost. Instead, I like the idea of tethering them to a power outlet. : )

The Cons:

Learning Lodge Software - There are some major bugs with this software, especially if you bought 2 or more InnoTabs and are trying to register a new child for each additional machine. See my PS below.

Battery Life - As mentioned everywhere else, 4 AA batteries will maybe last a day with continual use, especially if watching movies. Batteries can also get lost, even rechargeable ones.

No Camera/Video Recorder - Honestly, to me this isn't really a Con. If I had to choose between having an on board Camera or SD card slot, I'd go with the SD card slot every time.

Additional Apps - This is only a Con because there aren't as many as with the "other" kid tablet. However, I do like that you can download additional apps or e-books or games for only $3.

Make sure you check the Learning Lodge software for any updates. The Version I'm using is 1.034 (you can find this under Help and then Version Information).

Also, make sure your InnoTab's Firmware us updated. The latest I have is 6.10914. You update this through the Learning Lodge software.

Converting Movies Instructions:

First off you have to get the movie from your DVD onto your hard drive. I use a program called DVDFab, though there are many out there. The key is you have to remove the protection from the DVD before converting it to the format needed for the InnoTab, which is .AVI. Also, only bring down the Main Movie from your DVD.

Then download the Free Software called FreeMake Video Converter. Again, Google it. This is a great program and works quickly!

1 - Once installed, open the program and click the +Video button.
2 - Navigate to where your movie folder is and select all files in the folder and click the Open button.
3 - On the bottom of the program select the "to AVI" button.
4 - Click the blue sprocket or "Edit Settings".
5 - Choose the following settings: (Videos display perfectly using these settings)
Frame Size = Custom, Width = 512, Height = 320, Adjustment = Auto, Video Codec = XVID, Frame Rate = 29.97 fps, Bitrate = Auto
Audio Codec = MP3, Channels = Stereo, Sample Rate = 44100 Hz, Bitrate = 128 Kbps.
6 - Give a Title like InnoTab Settings and click OK.
7 - Choose where to save the finished AVI file.
8 - Click Convert.

The conversion process is quick and once done you'll have a single AVI file, which is the entire movie.

Transferring Movies to SD Card:

If you have not placed the SD Card in the InnoTab and connect it to your PC with the included USB Cable, then do so first. Then open the Learning Lodge Navigator program and Register the InnoTab. This will make the InnoTab create the folder structure on the SD Card. Make sure the SD Card is in the InnoTab first before connecting it to your PC.

Then you can either close the Learning Lodge program and navigate to the new Drive, which is the SD Card (varies by computer) or you can take the SD card out and place it in an SD Card Reader (faster transfer speeds than through the InnoTab). Once you navigate to the SD Card on your computer, go to the LLN folder and inside you'll see a number of folders. Open the Movies folder and simply drag-and-drop the AVI file you made with the FreeMaker program into the Movies Folder on the SD Card. Once done, put the SD Card back in the InnoTab and turn it on, or restart the InnoTab for it to recognize the new movie.

Transferring Music to the SD Card:

Music or MP3 songs MUST be transferred to the SD card through the Learning Lodge Navigator program. Using the Movie method for some reason won't work. However, the transfer is pretty quick and you can select which songs you want placed on the SD Card very easily.

Downloading Games to the InnoTab:

When you register your InnoTab through the Learning Lodge Navigator program, you will get 3 V Coins, where each V Coin is worth $2.99. 90% of the games/E-books are $2.99 with a handful at $4.99. There are about 80 Applications in total that you can download (I recommend the H2O game, you actually tilt the InnoTab to make the water drop go through the game.) Since I bought 2 InnoTabs, I was able to get 6 of the $2.99 games, and was able to load all 6 onto each child's InnoTab. The process was quite simple. In the Learning Lodge Software, I selected the games/e-books my kids wanted, then I completed the checkout (which was free because of the V Coins), and the games Downloaded to my PC. Once on my computer, they right away appeared in the My Downloads - All section. I simply clicked the box next to each application and chose Transfer. The games all downloaded to both InnoTabs without any issues. I even closed the LLN software, and switched InnoTabs, and all 6 applications were still listed in the My Downloads - All section, and it even knew that I'd already transferred some games and e-books to the first InnoTab, so those were grayed out, but the other 3 were active and transferred just fine.

I hope this post helps!

PS - If you bought 2 or more InnoTabs, then hopefully you've read this review before registering the InnoTabs using the Learning Lodge software.

There is a trick. You have to add the 2nd child after you've connected the 2nd InnoTab to the PC, and there in the Learning Lodge, when it shows the image of the 2nd machine you have to click on the Register button. Then you click to Add another child. Once you do, it will retain the information for each additional InnoTab you register.

DO NOT try and add another child in the My Account section. It won't retain the record, but it will keep the child's name on file, and won't let you re-add that same child's name.
on August 14, 2013
I fully suspect that without the cumbersome Learning Lodge software to purchase content that this would be a great toy. Know what you are purchasing. This is not an ipad or a kindle and does not have anywhere near the processing speed of one. I purchased two innotabs, one for my 5 year old daughter and one for my 3 year old son.

I chose the innotab 3s over the leappad ultra for a few reasons. Price. Not only is it less than a leappad for the unit but the downloadable games are less as well. Ability to use an sd card. As I just received the innotabs yesterday, I have not had a chance to put music and video on an sd card. I don't foresee any issues there. The rotating camera. Just personal preference, but my kids like that better. The kid connect messaging. My 5 year old gets a kick out of this.

Why I'm regretting this purchase...if you thought the wifi would enable you to cut ties with a computer, think again. For whatever reason vetch ties you to their Learning Lodge software. Simply put, this is a horrid piece of software. A quick google search will reveal that the issues with this software have been on going. I expect more. I'm trying to give you my money to purchase content for my kids impatient to play with their new toy. What I got...nothing but a screen stuck on loading.

From what I've read, I suspect vtech's servers were overwhelmed with the release of the 3s. Still, I expect more when I plunked down $100 per toy for each of my kids plus spending more to purchase content. The only work around I found was the wish list feature. If you have the patience to scroll through the content available to purchase on the innotab, it will email you a list of 5 or so items the child would like to purchase. This will give you a browser link delivered to your email circumventing the Learning Lodge software. From there, it is fast and easy to choose which items from the wish list you approve to buy and checkout.

I have no idea why vetch does not make their complete catalog of content web browser based. I tried to purchase content at 7pm, 10pm, and 9 am. Every single time, the Learning Lodge software is stuck on loading. If I had purchased the innotabs from a local store, I would be returning it.

08/14/2013 12:25pm - I opened Learning Lodge on my work computer which runs Windows 7. I had no loading issues. I did find that when I opened it, I needed to update Learning Lodge. This leads me to two conclusions....Either Learning Lodge was updated some time today and worked out the kinks and/or it just doesn't play nice with my Mac at home.
55 comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2012
My 3 year old son loves this product. He hasnt put it down yet. The only down side of this product is that it consumes batteries like crazy. We went through two sets of 4 batteries in one day. I highly suggest that you purchase a few sets of rechargable batteries and the ac adapter for you to plug it into the wall. That is unless you have an unlimited supply of batteries at your consumption.
33 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2011
I was one of the first on board for this "toy". I own an ipad2 and a nook color, and it was constantly being monopolized by my 4 yr old grandson. So I bought this thinking that he could be on his own and not worry about him dropping it, or hurting it if unattended. I had high hopes. When it came I loaded it up with batteries, bought a sim card, and sat down to load the mp3 player and photo book from my pc. Nothing was available, it was all under development. So I gave it to him without all the bells and whistles, and ended up spending a fortune on batteries. It devours them, so be prepared. Even the rechargeable ones won't last in this thing. Now it is Nov, and I have yet to be able to transfer any files onto this multi-informational learning tablet. It constantly gives me "Learning Lodge Error, please restart". In hind-sight, I would have just purchased him his own nook color, because it is rechargeable, holds the charge for most of the day, and has much more to offer with the interactive content. If I add up the cost for the sim card (which is not being used), the batteries and the aggravation, there would be no contest..I could have already purchased the nook color with money spent on this item. I won't be buying anything from vtech again.

A side note: I did call for "help" and was put on hold only to speak to someone in another country, who couldn't understand me. And in final, just a warning to everyone, the battery hinge on the back is easily accessible by toddlers who have a penchant for taking things apart. It should have screws on the back that can't be removed without a parents help.
on November 3, 2014
It's ok - but it doesn't do any type of notification for when she gets messages so she doesn't check them - it shuts off and won't turn on every now and then and we have to do a reset and we just got it so we only have 2 games on it. and the camera pictures still are really poor quality - and there is a noise that it makes when the videos replay - I was really hoping the max would fix these - and I can't share my android games with her / which is what I was hoping I could do since it is android based so that I can get some of the toddler games off my phone. I expected more - since we just bought the 'New' out on the market one last year and this is not even slightly better from what we have seen....
on December 22, 2011

The Pros:

Menu System - The menu system is very easy to use and navigate.

Price - For $80, this is a SUPER deal for a kids tablet!

The Cons:

Converting Movies Instructions:

1 - Once installed, open the program and click the +Video button.
3 - On the bottom of the program select the "to AVI" button.
4 - Click the blue sprocket or "Edit Settings".
6 - Give a Title like InnoTab Settings and click OK.
7 - Choose where to save the finished AVI file.
8 - Click Convert.

Transferring Movies to SD Card:

Transferring Music to the SD Card:

Downloading Games to the InnoTab:

I hope this post helps!

44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2011
The Innotab is a great value with the inclusion of apps and 3 free vcoins to download apps from the learning lodge navigator. Many more games and ebooks have been added in recent weeks however there are still only 9 titles available for in-store purchase which is a bit of a disappointment for those who already have the mobi-go or vreader since the in-store games have the same content used on the other two systems. The system can hold up to a 16GB SD card which is awesome and you can add movies and music which you already own! For those who question if the Leappad or Innotab is better, I would recommend the Innotab because of the ability to expand memory, add movies and music you own, and because it is all touch screen.
on February 14, 2014
I have been researching and debating for over two months between the Innotab 3s or the Leappad Ultra for my 5 and 8 year old sons. My driving force is that I homeschool, so I strictly wanted educational content. I wasn't looking for something comparable to an ipad or kindle, we just aren't there yet. I was looking for something more to supplement our learning, and for long car rides. That said, I finally chose the Innotab 3S for these reasons:

1. After looking over all the games offered off Vtech's and Leapfrog's sites, I concluded that there are more games offered for my 8 year old through VTech. I felt that LeapFrog's games were limited in number for the older age spectrum.

2. Innotab's ability to send texts back and forth with my sons. This was very easy to set up! Their tablets picked up our wifi, I connected it, then I downloaded the app on my phone and we are in business! Now they can send me texts on my phone and texts to each other and other family members & friends that I choose to approve for them to text with.

3. I love that my sons can play with each other...their tablets can communicate! That's great for us!

4. Games are $3!!! The Learning Lodge was extremely easy to use and I have a MacBook. I actually have had issues with LeapFrog in the past, and I was skeptical of Learning Lodge after reading every review out there, but it was so easy to download games and transfer them to the tablets. The other great thing is that the free game each child chose also could be downloaded on his brother's tablet! So I ended up buying 6 apps ($18 total) plus 2 free apps, and I downloaded them all on both tablets. My 8 year old just loves it, and the games were challenging to him, and he's a smart child! So that was very encouraging to me. The games are fun and engaging, they are generic characters. You can also buy cartridges that are licensed characters, that are more expensive.

5. The screen resolution is great! It's not as crystal clear as my iphone, but I wasn't expecting that.

6. The price cannot be beat! I chose this one largely due to the games selection and price, thinking that if it was a bad system that we'd exchange for the LP Ultra. I was able to buy two tablets for under $200 w/ $3 games vs LP's $300 + $20 games! I think that LP has games for $8 as their lowest price...I'm not certain though on that price, but it was more than I was willing to pay.

The tablet itself is very well made and sturdy. I do plan to buy cases though...I have rowdy boys! The start up is quick. The camera works fine...you do need to have a light on you though to get a good photo b/c there is no flash on the tablet. My son took a video of our cat and I could see it clearly! I'm amazed that you can put movies on these tablets. You can use a storage card to store extra photos/videos and movies. Overall, I am so happy with my final decision!! I am very impressed with this tablet! Both of my sons love it, and that makes this mama so happy!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.

What do customers buy after viewing this item?

Best Selling