Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 231 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 260 reviews
VINE VOICEon October 9, 2013
Canon has a truly immense selection of telephoto lenses.

Under $1000, you have your pick of a number of variants and if you have an APS-C camera (Rebel, 60/70D, 7D, etc)this new EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 STM will give you the best combination of focal range and image quality. It is stunningly sharp throughout the range, incredibly quiet, quick focusing, and the front element is stationary during focus

What other options do you have that are IMO not as desirable?
70-200mm f/4L - Good optics, but lacks Image Stabilization which is key for long telephotos. Focal range starts off a bit too long for APS-C.
70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM - Good from 70-200, but is soft from 200-300mm and the front lens moves during focus. Also noisy as it MicroUSM. Focal range starts off a bit too long for APS-C.
75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Overall a pretty terrible lens compared to any of the above, stay away from this one
55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - Relatively sharp, though not nearly as good as the new 55-250, has front focusing, and is much slower/noisier in focusing.

So overall under $1000 this lens is your best bet. The only disadvantage I can think of is that the mount is plastic instead of metal, though given the light weight of the lens I don't think that will be too much of an issue over time. Another negative is that the hood (ET-63) is sold separately for $25 and it is all plastic, does not even have felt lining like the inside of most Canon hoods. Overall though, this lens is your best bet under $1k if your camera is APS-C/EF-S mount.
2525 comments| 252 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2013
Pictures are sharp all the way through focal range, and colors are true. Fast silent focusing. I would buy again and recommend to my friends. Using on a Canon 70d. The hawk photo was taken at 250mm, very over cast day, shutter speed 320, f8, and 1600 iso. The butterfly was taken at 250mm, shutter speed 400, f5.6, and 100 iso.
review image review image
44 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2013
This version of the 55 250 joins the 50mm f1.8 "Plastic Fantastic" as the "Plastic Fantastic Zoom." IMHO this thing shoots way, way above its price and it's silent to boot. Just don't expect plastic to take the abuse a pro lens will tolerate. Be careful with it!! There are online reviews that support my fine experience.
on December 27, 2016
The operative words here are "entry-level." If you have a Canon DSLR, chances are it came with the 18-55mm "kit lens," which by itself is a fairly sold kit offering, especially for outdoor photography with ample light. The next logical choice is a telephoto lens to reach out and pull in your subject a bit more. The 55-250mm is a logical choice as it is of the same build quality is the 18-55 kit lens, comes with image stabilization and autofocus, and doesn't break the bank. Canon also deliberately built this lens to pick up where the 18-55mm kit lens left off, so the two together give the user 18-250mm with no overlap, which is where most photography is done. If you're an amateur photographer looking to explore longer focal lengths this is a good starter. It seems also a widely sold lens, so there are a lot of white box and refurbished options saturating the market, so buying a cheap, lightly used 55-250 is easy to do.

Be careful not to set your expectations too high - in fact, keep them on par with the 18-55 kit lens. This lens has a relatively limited aperture for its focal range, and what that means is that you'll need ample light for clear shooting, or a stable platform from which to shoot (monopod, tripod, etc.). The IS function helps but can't do all the work. Indoor usage will probably warrant a flash, and I've even had my camera tell me to use a full flash with this lens outdoors on a cloudy day. This is due to its limited aperture, which is fine. The rule of thumb I follow is for telephoto, I do not exceed a f-stop number higher than f/4, and for standard and wider lenses, f/2.8. This lens fits that rule at its widest but as you zoom, it will decrease its aperture and require more light or manual tweaking of shutter/ISO settings.

Accessories are relatively cheap too - you owe it to yourself to protect the front with a 58mm filter and/or hood, but be advised that finding the right hood might be difficult because this lens extrudes as you torque it through its zoom range, so finding a hood that will work with that might be tricky.

The real benefit of this lens is its value. For what you pay, you get a great entry level plastic telephoto lens on par with kit lenses. This will allow the amateur a way to grow in skill and explore more options. I've used this lens for portrait work in the 100mm range and it worked well with an old Canon 300D. I've even been lucky using this lens on a tripod pointed at a backyard bird bath during sunrise to capture all sorts of birds with pretty good results as far as beginning photography is concerned. Your money can go a long way with this lens.

If you can master this lens with an older camera, it will prepare you for moving into more robust equipment. This lens combined with an older camera will give the amateur a lot to learn without spending a wheelbarrow of cash. Keeping your expectations for this lens realistic will help you learn the basics and provide you with the experience to know whether you're ready to step up to a lens of better build quality and performance. It's a great extension to your starter kit and highly recommended for beginners.
on November 5, 2013
I recently dropped an old 70-300mm I'd been using for the past 12 years (ancient, off market, no IS, etc) and needed a replacement.

After reading a ton of reviews, I had narrowed my search down between this lens and the 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM. Unfortunately, my finances don't really allow me to drop $1300+ on a lens so I decided to order this one first and give it a try.

I'm very impressed! Surprisingly so for the price of this lens. The photos come out crisp and IS is a huge advantage for me, especially since I shoot the majority of my photos hand-held (as well as occasionally from moving vehicles).

It's remarkably quiet. As in... not just whisper quiet, but I haven't even heard a whisper. The focus AF is smooth.

I only have two complaints really.

1) I'm experiencing a bit of vignetting. I don't have any filters or hoods to create this effect, so it's definitely the lens. It can be a bit distracting in (and detract from the aesthetics of) certain shots.

2) The AF searches a bit sometimes before finding its focal point. Since I do a good deal of shooting from a moving vehicle, this can be a bit of an issue.

All in all, though, it is an excellent lens. I haven't had a chance yet to compare it to the 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, but when or if I do, I'll be sure to update my review to include my thoughts on the contrast between the two and if I think the jump in price of nearly 1K feels like it's worth it.
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2015
I got this lens a few weeks ago. I have wanted one for a long time. I got money back after returning an external drive. Which took MONTHS to work out. So, I got this. I knew my mom, step dad and I were going to the Baltimore Zoo.

I tested them out at home first. I collect stamps. I took pictures of some of the stamps. They looked really good.

The lens is easy to control. Depending on if your camera is on manual focus or not. Simple to use. Took nice looking pictures. Really let me get close to that which I wished to. I had added some pictures. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a low cost, beginner lens.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on February 19, 2017
I REALLY love this lens. I found this used (new/returned) on amazon. Very noticeable difference when compared to the kit lens that came with my camera. (Rebel 6ti) Having a tripod definitely helps when shooting objects that are farther away. This is a great compliment to my nifty 50. This will absolutely do the job until I can buy a "L" lens and thrilled with the 3rd party I used.
review image review image
on June 20, 2015
I bought this after researching at length. I wanted a zoom for soccer games, nature photography, and other times when I want to get in closer outdoors. I'm a relatively experienced amateur photographer and my camera is a T5. This lens has excellent quality and the autofocus motor isn't just quiet, it is absolutely silent from what my ears can hear. That and the superior optics (according to review) are what convinced me to pay $100 more than the discontinued-but-still-widely-available IS II version of this lens from Canon. The reviews are right--perfect choice to complement the 18-55mm kit lens that likely came with your camera body. It picks up where that one leaves off. The only downside is that you'll wish your 18-55mm was as quiet as this one.
on April 3, 2017
This is a great lens and allows me to shoot at a variety of distances. The shutter speed is very fast which means lots of action shots that come out very clear. I was debating this one which has image stabilization & another which zooms further, but did not have image stabilization. Since my primary reason for purchasing the camera & lenses was nature photography,I decided to go with this one. I am happy I did! It zooms in enough for me & the image stabilizing is great! and the price even better!!
on May 17, 2016
So far i really love this lens. I do event photography and was hesitant about buying this lens for semi-professional work because it's a kit lens, but it works great. Make sure you buy a lens hood, preferably get a reversible bayonet hood for convenience, or you may get bad contrast in your photos if light comes into the lens outside the scene, but that may also be a look you are going for.