Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on December 15, 2014
Purchased this router in January 2014 and have had no issues. Firmware is still at 3.0.0.4.374, hardware version is A1. I purchased this router after I bricked a Cisco router from a bad firmware update. I'm writing this review (actually more of a potential solution) because I noticed a little over 10% of the reviews are 1 star (which is "normal" percentage of any product) and after scanning through the 1 stars the common theme is intermittent wi-fi drops and "weird" router behavior when using the USB 3.0 port. Something to be aware of is that USB 3.0 ports, cables, and devices transmit on the 2.4 GHz - 2.5 GHz range. From the Intel White Paper:

"As previously shown in Figure 2-2, the noise from USB 3.0 data spectrum can be high
(in the 2.4-2.5 GHz range). This noise can radiate from the USB 3.0 connector on a
PC platform, the USB 3.0 connector on the peripheral device or the USB 3.0 cable. If
the antenna of a wireless device operating in this band is placed close to any of the
above USB 3.0 radiation channels, it can pick up the broadband noise. The broadband
noise emitted from a USB 3.0 device can affect the SNR and limit the sensitivity of any
wireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This
may result in a drop in throughput on the wireless link."

I experienced this when I built a new computer and placed the router on top of the tower on my desk and plugged my Patriot USB 3.0 thumb drive in the USB 3.0 port on top of the tower which is about 8 inches from the router antenna. My desktop is Ethernet, so was not affected. Laptop1 was using 5.0 GHz band and was not affected. Laptop2 was using 2.4 GHz band and could not connect wirelessly. Took an hour to figure this out (only variable that changed was distance of thumb drive to antenna). My old computer's USB 3.0 port was at the bottom back of the tower and farther away. So basically, USB 3.0 acts as a router wi-fi jammer if located too close and it's easy to mistake this common issue as a router intermittent wi-fi drop issue.
2424 comments| 537 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2016
This is the exact same model Asus router T-mobile loans to its customers. It's a competent router with good speeds and features. Setup was easy. I stumbled across it on a Lightning Deal at an excellent price. From what I see, there's no difference between this router and the RT-AC68U that Amazons asking $158 for. Don't let the T-mobile branding turn you away. That's only a slight QOS tweak that doesn't affect how this router performs for T-mobile customers and non-T-mobile customers. This is an excellent router regardless who your phone carrier is.
on February 28, 2017
Wow. Goodbye Netgear. Hello ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 router! In fairness to Netgear, the netgear r6300 I have had for years has been a stable product (with the right settings, however) and it was paired with a Arris SB6141 Cable modem, but lightning took both of them away. I went for the combo C7000 Netgear latest and greatest I wanted to like it but it lagged and had 20 second drops of connectivity. Unstable. Unacceptable new product with bugs was my experience and a lot of others had the same experience too. Reviews for Asus were surprisingly good and never had owned an ASUS router before but the reviews were so over the top I had to find out. So I ordered my new Arris SB6141 Cable modem (because it was rock solid for me before) and the RT-AC68U.

First impressions... wow nice build quality. Very impressive. Real removable antenna just like a real AP pro class. It just felt good and looked great. All the machining and connections looked above grade from any other manufacturers in the consumer space I have seen. A real "PRO-SUMER" product.

My background is I.T. and I am in this space so to impress me was not an easy feat. Our use case for this router is:
NO cable... all streaming house... using Two Roku, 6 laptops, one of them dedicated for streaming Xfinity TV-GO stations, a Wii game console, Grace Digital Mondo Internet Radio player, HP laserjet on wifi, oven on wifi, garage doors on wifi, heated tile floor thermostat on wifi (for the weather), and 6 smart phones (2 iphones, 4 android). Plus a "lab" in my office using wifi devices (Wifi scanners, etc) for job related activities. We often could be streaming roku channels (ESPN, FoxGo, etc) at the same time as Fox news on another tv, with Roku netflix upstairs as well, plus any of the household (or all) could be streaming online youtube, amazon video prime or facetime with friends.

So you can see its a heavy usage situation. My router right now has 21 devices connected at one time from the list mentioned above. Back to the review...
On powering up and connecting to this Asus the setup was so easy it was amazing with the wizard. I was online in seconds.
The interface was amazing... Wow. The feature set was so in depth and so well done that this was like router Eden. Graphics, Data, Stats galore. Instant salivation for anyone with an appreciation and knowledge on 802.11. They should have code named this router the ASUS PAVLOV.

All that is great but if it doesnt work, or drops its just a piece of pretty junk. Guess what. Its got it where it counts too.

Signal strength around the house is stronger than ever. Speeds on all clients are crazy fast. Stability on 2.4 *AND* 5ghz is what it should be. I mean wow. where has this router been all my life?? The router has a cpu graph for the dual core cpus in the interface and its barely breathing handling the traffic- even with all the bells and whistles turned on collecting traffic, stats and web history from clients! Oh and did I mention this is all with QoS turned off!! Why limit bandwidth if you dont need to? QoS seems to be used best for small pipes or compensating for poor routers that cant handle a load, in my expeience. My network is rock solid. I will update this if something changes, of course, but from my experience you just know when you know, you know? And for this router... I know!

In closing, watching the real-time bandwidth utilization graphic in the interface I can see the ebb a flow of downstream data (as well as upstream). Mine was pulsating in bursts from 6 to 28Mbps as the demands of multiple HD streaming clients was requested. Dual core CPU never clicked over single digits combined. I have Xfinity Blast! and speed tests were 75-80 down and 10-12 Up over 5g wifi -- just for reference. plenty of headroom.,Netflix Roku App's Network test reported that my Downstream capability to their servers was 17.35 Mbps. Nice.

So to sum up. I think this is the best router ever on many levels, Build quality, stability, feature set, and pairs very nicely with a Arris SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, which to me is a proven solid product that I have used easily for over a decade (back when it was made under Motorola). I even used a 6121 4 channel version prior to this 6141 8 channel down / 4 up coming out about 10 years ago (I think).
6141=great modem.

Asus RT68=Awesome Stable Router
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 2, 2014
My background: Software developer that uses computers almost all day long. I have business class Verizon FiOS and 5 static IPs.

Here's my experience & thoughts with this router:

* Setup was pretty easy. However, there was some browser quirkiness. If you have trouble then I suggest trying a different browser.
* In case you need it, the factory default username/password is admin/admin and the default IP is 192.168.1.1.
* I went to Administration->Firmware Upgrade and the router checked for an update, found one, and installed it. Pretty painless.
* Access the router's web interface via HTTPS is possible, but will give you a certificate error that you will have to allow/override.
* The web interface is pretty easy to use. I like it.
* I set up 2 guest networks, one on 2.4GHz, and one on 5GHz. Very easy and so far working great. It allows up to 3 guest networks on each band.
* The traffic monitor is very nice, and shows different graphs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless traffic.
* I highly recommend you leave remote (WAN) access disabled. You'll potentially be opening up your router to hackers and security vulnerabilities.
* I am not using AiCloud or USB features and I'd be careful with those. I'm not sure I trust the security on features such as these.
* Under Network Map->System Status->Status it shows nice CPU and RAM usage graphs. Currently mine is showing only 45MB used and 205MB free. I think this router has 256MB of RAM. It's also showing low CPU usage (by the way, it's a dual-core ARMv7 CPU).
* The system log indicates it runs Linux 2.6.36 and has 128MB of AMD NAND flash and 255484k of available memory.
* I purchased the router at the end of September 2014 and my hardware revision is "A2".

Should anything change then I'll upgrade this review. So far I really like this router so 5 stars.

UPDATE 2014-11-24: So far it has been rock solid. I set it up and I haven't had to reset or reboot it since.

UPDATE 2016-01-05: Still extremely pleased. This is what a router should be. Set it & forget it. It just works.
on April 13, 2016
Router works great, don't get me wrong. However, it creates a loud buzzing/hiss noise whenever I'm downloading something on WiFi. It's a high frequency and quite loud. My wife and I could here it from 20 feet away over a movie that was playing.

Returned the first one hoping it was a fluke. Second one had the exact same problem out of the box! All I had to do to replicate the problem was run a speed test from my phone. Router made that high frequency buzz/ hiss (coil whine?) only when testing download speed.

Very disappointed. Could have lived with it if the router wasn't in the living room, but come on, something that costs more than $100 shouldn't do this. Why should i have to hide an expensive electronic piece of hardware such as a wireless router? Going to try the new Asus rt-ac68a once it's released here on Amazon for nearly the same price, but with better performance.
on November 22, 2015
I'm a technical professional with over 30 years of networking and computing experience. After a great deal of research, I ordered this router to replace my Asus RT-N66U. The performance of the RT-AC68U is STUNNING. The router is a rock-solid performer that delivers a five-bar signal throughout our house (besting the RT-N66U by a good margin), and the speeds are incredible by comparison. The stock Asus firmware is mature and works just fine -- no need to fool around with Tomato or other alternatives. If you buy this router, be absolutely sure to upgrade to the latest firmware as soon as you put it online! Highly recommend this router, you can't go wrong and setup is easy. I also use the VPN capabilities of this router and it works flawlessly.
on October 4, 2015
Impressive if not amazing range particularly in 5 ghz band. My previous router is an 5th generation Apple Airport extreme. 5g coverage would rapidly drop off once outside the room its in requiring use of 2.4 ghz band only through most of the house. The Asus is different. The 5ghz band somehow works almost everywhere except two floors down at the opposite end of the house. Even there, there is reception but its worse than the 2.4 ghz band.
Comparing the ASUS 5ghz band to the Apple Airport extreme fastest, the ASUS test to most often run 2-3x the throughput on file transfers to my NAS. Even at close range its 50% faster and never slower in any scenario.

2.4 ghz performance is no better than the Airport extreme although range is better. In general the 2.4 ghz performance is surprisingly slow compared to 5 ghz.

The one area of complaint is when trying to plug in USB 3.0 drives. I have not been successful in most cases. With a USB 3.0 flash drive I have, most times it doesn't recognize it at all. In some cases, it was apparently confused by the format of the drive and the whole router became mostly unresponsive. Had to unplug the drive and power cycle the router. After many attempts with several drives, I have seen it work but with unimpressive speed, but most of the time it just doesn't work. A black eye for an otherwise stellar router.
on September 30, 2016
** UPDATED 10/22/16*************************

I'll start off by saying that I am a Network Specialist and have been in the IT Support field for 12 years.
I had very high hopes for this router, and initially it was great, but after a couple weeks I started to notice wifi dropping, wired lan dropping, internet slowing to a crawl, Needing to power cycle a lot. The router started crashing and rebooting on its own. I have come to realize that it seems all AC1750 routers from ASUS, netgear, Tp-link have similar dropping or connectivity issues. Perhaps the onboard processor or memory is too weak or the amount of bandwidth. Router would work great, then I would watch netflix or youtube and it would crap out on me. I have decided to return it and try the D-link AC 1900 model that is the same price. Also it is a bit scarey that ASUS released like 3 firmware updates a month.

** UPDATED 10/22/16*************************
Oh yeah, this is it, great, decent speed, and interface is well, useful. Pretty good deal, I am happy. Crazy this is almost the same price as the N model, is there even a choice here, buy the AC one. I recommend.
There are plenty of cheap routers out there but if you're even considering this unit, you're not the type that will accept performance trade-offs. This is not a cheap router by any means, but it's considerably less expensive than some.

I'll cut to the chase. When I got this unit I hooked it up to my Pace DSL modem (which I set into bridge mode). Everything came up at once. I then spent a few minutes with basic configuration of the AC66U. Within about ten minutes, end-to-end, I was ready to run a speed test. My ping time from Honolulu to San Jose dropped 25%, and I had zero loss of download/upload speed.

But inside my LAN, I now had wireless AC as well as wireless N, with the 5GHz band active. That made a huge difference in wireless device performance.

Good things about this router:

1. Works right out of the box with no issues.
2. Almost impossible to "brick" even if you're really into flashing different firmware. There is a very robust recovery mode.
3. Really performs. Delivers everything it claims.
4. Amazing oddball features, like running its own lpd-style printer server, allowing for attached USB storage to be accessible from within (and even without) the network, and many more.
5. Supported by firmware such as Tomato and DD-WRT (though apparently not OpenWRT). I eventually flashed a derivative of the ASUS firmware called "Merlin" which has even more options, such as scripting, security enhancements, etc.
6. Dual-CPU configuration for high performance.

Negatives:

1. Runs pretty hot.
2. Takes up a little more space than some others.

As you can see the negatives are pretty mild.

There are a lot of routers out there, and it's hard to tell you just why you'd choose this one over others. I chose it because it was at a medium price point but provides high-priced features. It turned out to an excellent choice for my home network. I do recommend alternative firmware if you're comfortable with flashing.
on April 27, 2014
I decided to finally retire my 8 year old Linksys WRT54GS router that had been a workhorse for me and hardly ever gave me any issues. I went with the AC68U instead of the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 based on opinions of the brands from my friends in the IT world.

Set up was easy and didn't require any troubleshooting. The only thing that took a while was figuring out how to change the wireless network connection on my Chromecast and Airport Express base station. The browser based admin tool is straight forward and makes updating firmware easy so you don't have to hunt the vendor website to see if firmware is available.

As for performance...this thing is extremely fast. With my old Linksys I was getting about 15-25 Mbps wireless download rates on the top floor of my house (router is 3 floors down in my basement). With the Asus, I'm getting 45-50 Mbps on the 5Ghz band. My internet service from Comcast is 50 Mbps, so I'm basically getting the max possible data rate via wireless with 3 floors between the Asus and that usage point. I'd say that is pretty outstanding.

I installed an Airport Express base station to be able to stream music via AirPlay from my iPad/iPhone to my stereo system and with my Linksys, I'd get performance issues if I was streaming music and watching videos on another device. I won't have any issues with the Asus like that.

$215ish is a lot for a router, but I wanted something that would be future proof for a while with the ac spec and wanted the impressive range that this one delivers. If I have any reliability issues I'll update my review, but I am 100% satisfied right now.