Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Size: AC1900|Style: Router|Change

on December 15, 2014
Purchased this router in January 2014 and have had no issues. Firmware is still at 3.0.0.4.374, hardware version is A1. I purchased this router after I bricked a Cisco router from a bad firmware update. I'm writing this review (actually more of a potential solution) because I noticed a little over 10% of the reviews are 1 star (which is "normal" percentage of any product) and after scanning through the 1 stars the common theme is intermittent wi-fi drops and "weird" router behavior when using the USB 3.0 port. Something to be aware of is that USB 3.0 ports, cables, and devices transmit on the 2.4 GHz - 2.5 GHz range. From the Intel White Paper:

"As previously shown in Figure 2-2, the noise from USB 3.0 data spectrum can be high
(in the 2.4-2.5 GHz range). This noise can radiate from the USB 3.0 connector on a
PC platform, the USB 3.0 connector on the peripheral device or the USB 3.0 cable. If
the antenna of a wireless device operating in this band is placed close to any of the
above USB 3.0 radiation channels, it can pick up the broadband noise. The broadband
noise emitted from a USB 3.0 device can affect the SNR and limit the sensitivity of any
wireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This
may result in a drop in throughput on the wireless link."

I experienced this when I built a new computer and placed the router on top of the tower on my desk and plugged my Patriot USB 3.0 thumb drive in the USB 3.0 port on top of the tower which is about 8 inches from the router antenna. My desktop is Ethernet, so was not affected. Laptop1 was using 5.0 GHz band and was not affected. Laptop2 was using 2.4 GHz band and could not connect wirelessly. Took an hour to figure this out (only variable that changed was distance of thumb drive to antenna). My old computer's USB 3.0 port was at the bottom back of the tower and farther away. So basically, USB 3.0 acts as a router wi-fi jammer if located too close and it's easy to mistake this common issue as a router intermittent wi-fi drop issue.
2323 comments| 506 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2016
This is the exact same model Asus router T-mobile loans to its customers. It's a competent router with good speeds and features. Setup was easy. I stumbled across it on a Lightning Deal at an excellent price. From what I see, there's no difference between this router and the RT-AC68U that Amazons asking $158 for. Don't let the T-mobile branding turn you away. That's only a slight QOS tweak that doesn't affect how this router performs for T-mobile customers and non-T-mobile customers. This is an excellent router regardless who your phone carrier is.
on February 28, 2017
Wow. Goodbye Netgear. Hello ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 router! In fairness to Netgear, the netgear r6300 I have had for years has been a stable product (with the right settings, however) and it was paired with a Arris SB6141 Cable modem, but lightning took both of them away. I went for the combo C7000 Netgear latest and greatest I wanted to like it but it lagged and had 20 second drops of connectivity. Unstable. Unacceptable new product with bugs was my experience and a lot of others had the same experience too. Reviews for Asus were surprisingly good and never had owned an ASUS router before but the reviews were so over the top I had to find out. So I ordered my new Arris SB6141 Cable modem (because it was rock solid for me before) and the RT-AC68U.

First impressions... wow nice build quality. Very impressive. Real removable antenna just like a real AP pro class. It just felt good and looked great. All the machining and connections looked above grade from any other manufacturers in the consumer space I have seen. A real "PRO-SUMER" product.

My background is I.T. and I am in this space so to impress me was not an easy feat. Our use case for this router is:
NO cable... all streaming house... using Two Roku, 6 laptops, one of them dedicated for streaming Xfinity TV-GO stations, a Wii game console, Grace Digital Mondo Internet Radio player, HP laserjet on wifi, oven on wifi, garage doors on wifi, heated tile floor thermostat on wifi (for the weather), and 6 smart phones (2 iphones, 4 android). Plus a "lab" in my office using wifi devices (Wifi scanners, etc) for job related activities. We often could be streaming roku channels (ESPN, FoxGo, etc) at the same time as Fox news on another tv, with Roku netflix upstairs as well, plus any of the household (or all) could be streaming online youtube, amazon video prime or facetime with friends.

So you can see its a heavy usage situation. My router right now has 21 devices connected at one time from the list mentioned above. Back to the review...
On powering up and connecting to this Asus the setup was so easy it was amazing with the wizard. I was online in seconds.
The interface was amazing... Wow. The feature set was so in depth and so well done that this was like router Eden. Graphics, Data, Stats galore. Instant salivation for anyone with an appreciation and knowledge on 802.11. They should have code named this router the ASUS PAVLOV.

All that is great but if it doesnt work, or drops its just a piece of pretty junk. Guess what. Its got it where it counts too.

Signal strength around the house is stronger than ever. Speeds on all clients are crazy fast. Stability on 2.4 *AND* 5ghz is what it should be. I mean wow. where has this router been all my life?? The router has a cpu graph for the dual core cpus in the interface and its barely breathing handling the traffic- even with all the bells and whistles turned on collecting traffic, stats and web history from clients! Oh and did I mention this is all with QoS turned off!! Why limit bandwidth if you dont need to? QoS seems to be used best for small pipes or compensating for poor routers that cant handle a load, in my expeience. My network is rock solid. I will update this if something changes, of course, but from my experience you just know when you know, you know? And for this router... I know!

In closing, watching the real-time bandwidth utilization graphic in the interface I can see the ebb a flow of downstream data (as well as upstream). Mine was pulsating in bursts from 6 to 28Mbps as the demands of multiple HD streaming clients was requested. Dual core CPU never clicked over single digits combined. I have Xfinity Blast! and speed tests were 75-80 down and 10-12 Up over 5g wifi -- just for reference. plenty of headroom.,Netflix Roku App's Network test reported that my Downstream capability to their servers was 17.35 Mbps. Nice.

So to sum up. I think this is the best router ever on many levels, Build quality, stability, feature set, and pairs very nicely with a Arris SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, which to me is a proven solid product that I have used easily for over a decade (back when it was made under Motorola). I even used a 6121 4 channel version prior to this 6141 8 channel down / 4 up coming out about 10 years ago (I think).
6141=great modem.

Asus RT68=Awesome Stable Router
on April 28, 2015
This is a great little router. I have two of them, one as a primary and the second as a WAP repeater. I would have given this 5 stars, but a few days ago the power button on our primary router (purchased in December '14) has broken. It will no longer stay in the powered position. If we hold it down manually, it works, but tape keeps coming loose (probably due to heat) and it's kind of crazy to have to do this for a 4-month old router. The button wasn't even being used. It was sitting on a desk behind a printer when all of a sudden power went away and we discovered the issue with the button. I've opened a support case with ASUS, but they're telling me I have to send it in for repair and it will take several weeks. Well, what do I do until then? Paper cups and string? How about taking my credit card number and sending me a loaner? I send it in for repair and then we swap them out when it's fixed. If I don't return it, you charge my card. Quick turnaround via email support, but not really useful. My fix was to wrap some stiff wire around it and a button button cap to hold the button down. A quick Google search turned up dozens of similar reports, so this appears to be a manufacturer defect and should probably be recalled. Other reported fixes include toothpicks and crazy glue. Anyway, a great little router, but the power button seems to fail for no good reason. Hopefully our other router will hold up. Hope this was helpful!
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2016
I purchased this router and have liked it very well up until a month ago. When I purchased it, I installed it, plugged in the cables, turned it on and set it up and left it alone. It has been in my house and has been untouched since then. One day my internet went out and I did the usual checks, and finally went and checked the router and saw that it wasn't on. I thought great, it had died. However, when I pushed in the power button, it came back on. However, the problem was that the power button would not stay pushed in, it would immediately pop back out. I did some research on the web and this apparently is a common issue with the power button failing because of cheap substandard parts being used in the power button. Therefor, I submitted an RMA claim nearly a month ago, and just now heard back from them. First, taking a month to reply to an RMA claim is quite a long time in my experience. That was my first clue. Then the kicker is that, without even looking at the unit or asking any questions, they denied the claim under warranty stating that there had been misuse/abuse. That is hilarious, given that they haven't even seen the unit or asked me any questions other than what the problem was.

So, being that this is a fairly common problem, the company has decided to just blanket deny any claim from its customers by stating it is misuse/abuse. So let me ask this, if turning the unit on one time and never touching the power button again is considered use/abuse, how are we supposed to use the router? The answer is simply that Asus is a company that doesn't stand behind its warranty. If you buy an Asus product and never have any issues, great. If you do, be prepared for them not being of service to you and you having to pay a high repair fee or simply trashing your device and having to buy a new one.

Buyer beware.
on June 5, 2015
Purchased in October of 2014. It seemed to be working, but I had inconsistent performance when using it to connect to my work via VPN. I assumed it was a configuration issue or my company's network (which they'd recently upgraded). My wife began using VPN as well to work from home and had issues with it as well. I finally purchased a cheap router to test to see if I was still having the problem, and the problem went away. When I attempted to plug back in the ASUS router (so I could return the cheap router), it wouldn't even restart anymore. ASUS agree to replace my router as it was still under warranty, but they said that I would have to pay for return shipping. They also wouldn't send me a new router, but would instead refurbish the defective one, so I would have to wait for that entire process before getting my network back up. Very disappointed. I read a lot of good reviews on this router and had nothing but trouble with it. It was nice that they would accept the return, but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired for handling the defective product they sold me.
on January 13, 2017
Ultimately I returned this router because it wouldn't work for me but it did appear to be fairly capable and would probably work well for most people.

I bought this and an ASUS AC5300 intending to use this as a remote access point to extend the range of the 5300. They replaced multiple Apple airport extremes that I was unhappy with because they provide no capabilities to diagnose issues on your network, such as which device is taking up all the bandwidth. Otherwise though the airports had been very reliable.

It was easy enough to set it all up and put this router in AP mode (which is a supported configuration) but the entire network proved unstable and the routers frequently locked up and could not be accessed. Because of the way that this router was set up - as an AP to the primary 5300 - it is difficult to say which of the two caused most of the issues but I strongly suspect the 5300 was a big part of it. But I needed the two to work together and they didn't, unfortunately.

So why 4 stars? I almost gave it less, since it didn't work at all for me, but while trying to figure out what was going wrong I did try this briefly as a standalone wireless router and it performed well. The feature set is very strong and the router had good wifi strength. In fact, when I used NetSpot to measure the signal strength this AC1900 was several times stronger than the AC5300, which was mediocre at best.

I think it is probably a good router for most people and I would not advise someone against it (which I would for the 5300). In a simple, single-router set-up, which is probably what most people want it for, it would probably work fine. My experience was that the ASUS system quickly becomes unreliable when pushed to any degree of complexity though.
on February 19, 2017
I have used it for almost two months and I am very satisfied. I use it for my home.
My Internet type is fiber 200 Mbps down/up from Axtel (X-Tremo).
The equipment that my family use is:
- 1 desktop (wired)
- 2 laptops
- 3 tablets
- 4 smartphones
- 3 Rokus (wired)
- 1 Raspberry Pi 2 (wired)
- 1 printer
- 1 internet radio
- 1 access point (wired)
I did several stress tests, for example:
- 3 netflixes (HD) running on the 3 rokus
- 1 kodi (HD) running on the Raspberry Pi 2 (with OSMC)
- 1 laptop running netflix (HD)
- 1 tablet running face time
- 7 simultaneous downloads on the desktop computer
- 1 internet radio playing music
And the router was at 55% peak at processing, really great.
The user interface is very friendly, easy to use and intuitive. I am using the firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_4164 12/23/2016.
The wireless coverage is very good, the router is on the first floor and I can receive full bars on the second floor (2.4 Ghz).
This is my first Asus router and I can recommend it without a doubt.
on November 22, 2015
I'm a technical professional with over 30 years of networking and computing experience. After a great deal of research, I ordered this router to replace my Asus RT-N66U. The performance of the RT-AC68U is STUNNING. The router is a rock-solid performer that delivers a five-bar signal throughout our house (besting the RT-N66U by a good margin), and the speeds are incredible by comparison. The stock Asus firmware is mature and works just fine -- no need to fool around with Tomato or other alternatives. If you buy this router, be absolutely sure to upgrade to the latest firmware as soon as you put it online! Highly recommend this router, you can't go wrong and setup is easy. I also use the VPN capabilities of this router and it works flawlessly.
on October 4, 2015
Impressive if not amazing range particularly in 5 ghz band. My previous router is an 5th generation Apple Airport extreme. 5g coverage would rapidly drop off once outside the room its in requiring use of 2.4 ghz band only through most of the house. The Asus is different. The 5ghz band somehow works almost everywhere except two floors down at the opposite end of the house. Even there, there is reception but its worse than the 2.4 ghz band.
Comparing the ASUS 5ghz band to the Apple Airport extreme fastest, the ASUS test to most often run 2-3x the throughput on file transfers to my NAS. Even at close range its 50% faster and never slower in any scenario.

2.4 ghz performance is no better than the Airport extreme although range is better. In general the 2.4 ghz performance is surprisingly slow compared to 5 ghz.

The one area of complaint is when trying to plug in USB 3.0 drives. I have not been successful in most cases. With a USB 3.0 flash drive I have, most times it doesn't recognize it at all. In some cases, it was apparently confused by the format of the drive and the whole router became mostly unresponsive. Had to unplug the drive and power cycle the router. After many attempts with several drives, I have seen it work but with unimpressive speed, but most of the time it just doesn't work. A black eye for an otherwise stellar router.