Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year So Far Men's Summer Sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Internet New LG V35 ThinQ | $699.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outcastS4 outcastS4 outcastS4  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on May 8, 2014
First of all, I can confirm that this memory card performs perfectly recording 4k at 100Mbps. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3BQJNA/ref=oh_details_o04_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I own a RED camera so have been dealing with 4K footage and working in the format for a couple of years now. I work professionally for one of the big 3 letter networks and have two Emmy statues sitting on my mantle. This camera absolutely blows me away.

Much can be debated about whether the DSLR form factor is suitable for professional video work. Its hard to get stable footage, most lenses are hard to focus with, zooming is difficult to impossible with most lenses, and the camera was designed to take still photos. What is hard to debate is that this is the best 4K camera currently available for travelers and DSLR style shooters.

I've put together a traveling kit that all fits into one backpack that includes the:
GH4
Tripod - 3 legged things "Brian" - Watch some videos on this extremely light and versatile tripod.
Monfrotto MVH500AH Fluid head - Seriously awesome and smooth
Slider - Edlekrone Slider Plus V2 - Medium with Motion module and Target module (waiting for shipment)
Jib - Aviator travel jib - Very compact. Extends 6ft. Haven't tested enough yet to determine worth.
Zacuto Marauder - Very Nice
Zacuto Z-Finder for GH3 - Pairs well with the higher resolution LCD on the GH4.
Olympus 12mm f/2 - Super sharp, no image stabilization
Pana Leica 25mm f/1.4 - Sharp at 2.8 everywhere. Excellent at 1.4. Creamy bokeh. Magical images but no IS.
Pana Leica 45mm f/2.8 - My Macro, 2nd portrait, and tele prime
Lumix G X 12-35 f/2 - Excellent all around zoom (24-70 equiv)
Lumix G X 35-100 f/2 - Excellent tele zoom (70-200 equiv)
Lumix 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 - Versatile run and gun lens. (24-280 equiv)

Yes, all of the above fits into a Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW! And is comfortable to carry.

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been written in these reviews so here are just a few notes from my experiences that may help others:

Editing 4K is no problem on a Mid 2012 Retina Mac Book Pro 2.7 i7 with 16GB Ram. With Adobe Premiere CS6 I edit at FULL resolution with no dropped frames usually. Sometimes when you hit play on the timeline it will drop 2 frames then playback the rest with no dropped frames. Or if your computer starts doing something else while you are playing it will drop a few frames. It will drop ZERO frames at HALF or QUARTER resolution. But remember, 4K is 4 times the resolution of 1080 so even at quarter resolution, you are previewing HD! There is no transcoding, just drag and drop on timeline and start editing.

Playing the files off the SD Card or even my SSD HD using quicktime player is not usable. It studders. I have to open premiere and import the files to play them back smoothly. Not an issue for me and my workflow. Haven't done much testing to figure out solutions.

HDMI to TV looks incredible. Some of the best looking HD you'll see at home. If you're a videophile who just has to watch movies on Blu Ray or better then you'll love the images from this camera.

You'll want to stick to the Panasonic Lumix / Leica lenses with image stabilization.

The onboard audio is decent but is very omni so you'll pick up sounds of your breathing and moving about. I have a rode stereo mic that attaches to the hotshoe.

Out of the box the footage is pretty sharp. Good for documentary shooting or everyday home use. But You can dial that back for a more cine style look.

I recommend shooting Cine-D.

This camera has no problem serving as a second camera to my RED or as my primary travel / docu camera.

I'll try and post more as I use this camera more, but if you're thinking about getting this camera- stop thinking and start clicking.
353 people found this helpful
|1515 comments|Report abuse
on January 19, 2015
The GH4 is a fantastic little camera! The autofocus is snappy, the continuous shooting is ludicrously fast, and the controls are simple to navigate. This is a fun camera to shoot with and I have gotten great images out of it. All that being said, there is a reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5. While I wanted to absolutely love this camera (and for a bit I did) the noise performance is just not good enough for my needs. Up to ISO 3200 your images will be gorgeous and crisp but as soon as you shoot past that things go downhill fast. I don't think this is enough of a problem to warrant passing this camera up, for most shooters this will be the best camera you have ever used in your life thus far, but for any photographers that are used to the quality of a full frame sensor you will really be feeling the loss.

I will say this though, before the GH4 I had an ASPC Canon 60D and this camera blew that canon out of the water! It really is fantastic and while I intend to supplement it with a sony full frame camera I enjoy using it too much to completely give it up.

PS. This took me forever to figure out so I'll just share it, to go above 3200 iso the camera has to be using the mechanical shutter. Simple but on day one I set my GH4 to silent mode and left it there for a while.
review imagereview imagereview image
32 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
 I bought this camera to do product review videos on YouTube. My goal was to provide high quality reviews so I knew I needed to get a good 4K camera. This camera came up in every one of my Google searches so I decided to give it a shot. I’ve gotten nothing but compliments on my video quality with this camera. People ask me what equipment I use all the time.
I originally purchased the camera body and paired it with a Metabones 0.64x Canon Speed Booster and Canon Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 Lens. The results were absolutely AMAZING!! The bokeh and incredible blur control is like nothing you’ll find for less than $2000. The only issue is that you won’t have any image stabilization with this setup. Eventually, I found myself shooting more “run-n-gun” videos and required image stabilization so I ended up selling the Speed Booster and Sigma lens to get some Panasonic native lenses with Power OIS and Mega OIS. There are very few good Panasonic lens options but I made it work. My new Go-to lens for product reviews is the Panasonic 25mm F/1.8 Prime lens. It’s cheap and allows for some good close ups with nice bokeh. My zoom lens is the Panasonic 12-60mm F.35-5.6. I think I’ll eventually go back and buy another Metabones Speed Booster and Sigma lens again but for now I’m happy with my setup.
The learning curve for shooting proper 4K can be a little steep with this camera at first but I’ve got it down now. There are a bunch of YouTube videos that explain how to change the settings for optimal 4K video quality.
I originally came from a Canon EOS 70D and this camera put the Canon to shame on video quality even when shooting 1080p. However, I do still prefer the still image quality of the Canon. It’s difficult to find settings that work for you to get those amazing stills with the GH4. It has the potential to take amazing photos but you definitely have to work a little hard than you do with a Canon or Nikon camera. Better lenses help with this but shooting manual helps a ton as well. I’ve not been impressed by any of the still shots from this camera in Auto, Aperture priority, or Shutter Priority modes. You definitely have to shoot manual. (which you should be doing anyways)
Overall I am 100% satisfied with this camera and I wish I could give it 6 stars!!
6 people found this helpful
on August 31, 2016
Great camera for video, good features for time lapse, and decent for photos.

I have been a Nikon fan boy for many years, but since they tend to trail behind the pack in terms of video I got this GH4 which has been getting a lot of praise and for good reason. Many reviews have already been done so I'll try to be unique.

Pros:
With some fairly inexpensive adapters I can use all the high quality Nikon glass I already own. The adapter I bought has a variable ND filter built in! A dream for shooting video. I can mount any lens on the GH4 and the ND is handled in the adapter. Awesome for following the 180 degree shutter rule.

Built in time lapse, yes! And, since I'm all manual with Nikon glass via an adapter I don't have to worry about flicker introduced by aperture.

Battery life is awesome when shooting 4K. Very impressed

Cons:

From what I've read you can't use the HDMI output option for HD at 96fps. Bummer, because uncompressed HD slow motion via the Atomos recorder would be awesome.

Other Observations:
So you wanted a GH4 with v-log to get amazing footage, yeah? Well there is one little catch. To get the best out of the v-log footage you absolutely must use the HDMI out to an external recorder. In many cases you can get away with out it, but I have run into nasty color banding issues using 8bit compressed v-log to the internal card. I don't know all the technical reasons, but definitely Google search the whole 8-bit vs 10bit v-log before buying so you know what to expect.
7 people found this helpful
on December 2, 2016
Updated on August 21st, 2017
I have now had the GH4 for about 10 months and have about 200 hours of video and a couple thousand photos to show for it. I am redoing my review now to remove 2 stars (wish there were only 1.5 stars I could remove). Yes - this has largely been replaced by the GH5, but I know people are still buying them.
First - the bad/indifferent. And I list if first because it is a pretty short list.
- The record button for video is on the back of the camera and when you have big hands it is easy to miss turning the recording on as well as poke yourself in the cheek when you are using the viewfinder. Bad ergonomics. Actually - lets call this one bad but acknowledge it is good for many. The camera is small. I am not. Causes me to have to make some adjustments.
- The buttons seem to be arranged on the back in a way that makes me accidentally press them simply by picking up the camera. I am making adjustments - but I have very big hands and in many ways the smaller size of this camera is a hassle rather than a benefit.
- As a camera for photos it is sorely lacking given the price. I am not giving up my big Nikons anytime soon and that is a hassle. I have two separate systems going (and yes - I bought a metabones) and that means different bags and making choices when I walk out the door. I blame Nikon as much as Panasonic.I have seen a lot noted about aperture equivalence - but even with my relatively poor eyesight this thing clearly stinks in low light and I spend a lot of time at higher ISOs as a result (BTW - it only goes down to 200 - not the 100 other reviewers note). By ISO 1600 it is already grainier than my D750 at ISO 6400. Very disappointed.
- As for video - my D750 is a CLEAR winner when the video is just HD (the Nikon has unbelievable dynamic range) - but that is as good as it gets for Nikon. Shooting 4K means the Lumix or my AX100 and I find myself grabbing them both (as well as my GX85) as I am a believer in future proofing as much as possible. Unfortunately the comments I made above apply and I probably use my AX100 more often as the low light is not good at all. Playing it back on a 60" 4K TV reveals there is a lot to be desired if shot in low light. I considered upgrading my Nikon D810 to a D5 but it meant either spending a fortune for an iffy 4K or having to go with a crop sensor camera like the D500 and losing the full benefit of my full frame lenses. I did get the V-Log FW and I shoot through a 4K Atomos - so one area it wins IMHO is color. Thank goodness for small favors.
- The dynamic range is actually somewhat limited compared to my Sony AX100 and - once again - nowhere near the Nikon which has some of the best dynamic range on the market. Again - I shoot with the V-Log FW.
- Extra note - I had intended to sell my AX100 but not any more. Need it if I want low light 4K in important situations.

So now for the good/great.
- The range of lenses as well as the ability to use all of my Nikon full frame lenses with a Metabones is great. Huge benefit. Almost a necessity as safe to say I have been underwhelmed by the quality of the Panasonic and Olympus lenses I purchased originally for my GX85 (though I'll note I love the GX85 itself).
- The "film look" so many look for is pretty much dialed in with near zero effort on this camera. The "image" is phenomenal and has earned raves from everyone who has seen even the raw footage I have taken. Huge kudos to Panasonic for this. Shoot in good light and say WOW.
- The top of the camera ergonomics make up for the back of the camera mistakes. Having the wheel easily controlled by the thumb when I am looking through the viewfinder is great - but the WB, ISO and Exposure Compensation buttons within easy reach of the index finger is a stroke of genius. And the ISO button is textured so you don't have to take your eye away from the viewfinder to be sure of what button you are resting on. Fantastic!
- Focus peaking is built in and even for my tired old eyes it works well. Highly appreciated detail.
- Autofocus when I need it is really solid. You can get it to hunt when the contrast is on the low side - but that is the case with most AF cams. It is fast and accurate and gives plenty of options to suit the situation.
- Awesome battery life. A double benefit because this thing will record in 4K until the battery is dead or the card runs out.
- 10 bit at 4K to my Shogun. Video ends up looking completely professional. Same thing for my D750 but... oh wait... that is just 1080...
- My wife - who is a normal sized human being unlike me - will actually lug this around without complaint. I have her shoot pics and videos for some ongoing projects we have and she would never take the big cameras.

10 months in I wouldn't buy this again and I will very likely sell it when Nikon releases the D850. I will keep my GX85 and a couple of decent lenses I have acquired just because the value is good for that particular model. But I have too much invested to switch brands again and the picture quality on the Nikon's is so much better as to be in a different class entirely. I take way more photos than videos (about 3,000 pictures per month) - so that really matters.
4 people found this helpful
on September 14, 2015
This camera is simply amazing for the money with all the features housed inside of this lightweight/small camera. I wanted to share my panic story from this past weekend. The GH4 has an internal timelapse feature making it super easy and nice for doing timelapses. I set my GH4 out to do a lapse of the gorgeous clouds and left the house and traveled approximately 15 minutes up the road. There was no rain in the forecast but guess what....A massive front moved in and long story short it rained on the camera for 15 minutes before I could grab it and get it inside. I took the battery out, dried off the camera, and let it sit for a little while before turning it back on. Panasonic put the "weather resistant" label on this body and i've always been skeptical of any company that puts that label on any product, but to my EXTREMELY GRATEFUL surprise the camera works perfectly. I'm extremely thankful for Panasonic making such a great product. PS the lapse turned out AMAZING! :)
6 people found this helpful
on October 21, 2016
You don't need my review. This is a famously fantastic camera. I'm just letting you know that this camera is particularly well suited for outdoor pursuits. I go on 2- and 3-day backpacking trips in northern Georgia and the Carolinas. I used to do it with a Cannon 7D (until I drowned it ... long story), and it was kind of heavy. The lenses were too. The micro 4/3 system, and the GH4 in particular, is small and light. And the lenses are correspondingly backpack friendly. The battery life is also outstanding if you primarily use the excellent viewfinder rather than the real LCD. So if you're a photographer and need to travel light, I can tell you it's made a huge difference to me.
4 people found this helpful
on April 20, 2015
I had intended to "upgrade" my Olympus E-M1 with the Panasonic GH4, but it didn't quite turn out that way.

My main reasons for wanting to switch to the GH4 were:

1) For my style of shooting, a fully articulated LCD is more useful
2) The new firmware update gave the GH4 the 4K video/photo mode

The truth is, right after I got the E-M1, the GH4 came out and I've off and on wondered if I got the right camera. So after almost a year of using the E-M1 (which I actually really like, except for a few things such as the lack of control during video recording such as exposure compensation, shutter, aperture, etc, and lack of fully articulated LCD), finally pulled the trigger and got a GH4 (with the 12-35mm f/2.8 Power O.I.S.).

Although I knew Panasonic's Power O.I.S. isn't as good as the IBIS of Olympus, I wasn't prepared for the vast difference I saw between the videos I shot with both cameras. The E-M1 videos are so much better stabilized in comparison to the jittery and shaky video from the GH4. And yes, I did check to see if the Power O.I.S. was indeed working (by turning it off and comparing the result), and with it turned off, it's far worse, so the O.I.S. is definitely working, just not nearly as well as IBIS. This is the biggest deal breaker for me at the moment.

The reason why this is a deal breaker for me, is because I shoot a lot of casual/home videos of my wife, and it's all done in run and gun style, such as us walking around while out shopping, or me following her around the house as she goes about her day being her adorkable self. With this style of shooting, I need excellent image stabilization or else the videos end up being too shaky and uncomfortable to watch (headache-inducing). I do not want to use any kind of steady-cam rig because that defeats the purpose of having a MFT camera as the light-weight and smaller complement to my bulky and heavy 5D Mark III.

I wanted the GH4 for a couple of other reasons--fully articulated LCD, and the ability to control exposure compensation during video recording. And yes, I do like those features on the GH4, although it's a little disappointing that exposure compensation only works when you switch the dial to Creative Movie shooting mode and is not available in the other modes. That means if I'm shooting photos and then want to shoot a video, I have to remember to switch to the Creative Movie mode in order to access exposure compensation during video recording, and if I forget to do that and just press the red record button, I'll have to stop and switch mode and then restart recording. So considering that, I don't know if it's actually much better than me using the E-M1 and changing the metering mode to center-weighted metering or spot-metering before pressing the record button (which gives me a similar result as using exposure compensation, when the subject walks in front of a brightly lit window or doorway and I need the expose the subject correctly).

As for the fully articulated LCD, I find that when we're out walking around, the tilting LCD of the E-M1 is good enough, because if I flip it up into horizontal position and holding it at roughly shoulder height, I can see it pretty well when I'm walking next to her and shooting her with the camera pointed to the side and me walking forward, or even me walking in front of her and pointing the camera behind me at her. It's really only in very specific circumstances where I have to be in the shot that a fully articulated LCD becomes necessary. Situations like that are quite rare, and it's definitely not as important as having good image stabilization. And when at home, if we need to record videos that have both of us in the shot, I'd rather just use the Panasonic X920 camcorder for situations like that (though it's not as convenient to have to grab another camera for specific needs).

Another reason I wanted the GH4 was to use its 4K photo mode feature, but it turned out that it not as easy to use as I had hoped. First of all, having to go through the video and find usable frames is extra work that's much more tedious than going through photos, because so many frames are extremely similar, and slight motion blur might make one specific frame sharper than the others, and the process of finding that ideal frame is very time-consuming. Then, there's the issue of only getting a JPG from the frame instead of the more robust and and flexible RAW file. And finally, the 4K files are massive and fills up hard drives quickly (if you shoot a lot of them). I suppose you can extract the stills you want from them and then convert to 1080p, but that's yet another extra step, and once you do that, you can't go back, and in the future when everything's 4K, you'll miss those 4K files.

In comparison to shooting 4K photo mode, shooting high-speed continuous stills will end up taking up a lot less storage space, since you can find the shots you want and delete the rest, but you don't end up with a video you can keep though, and must shoot the video separately, which means it'll be extremely difficult to decide whether a special moment should be recorded with video or photos. I just don't know if it's better to shoot the videos separate from photos but potentially miss shots of footage, or just don't think about it and shoot 4K video by default and then deal with extracting stills and large file sizes and not having RAW files to work with.

Another thing I noticed with 4K photo mode on the GH4, is that its usefulness is only limited to situations where the needs of good photos and good videos intersect, and it's more common to have those situations in professional photography than casual home video/photo--especially when so much of home video/photos are in low-light environments. The video compression and extracted jpg's just have this brittle look compared to RAW files when the ISO is higher. In very well-lit environments, the 4K photos look much better--as good as the RAW files. I think in brightly lit studio shoots, or sports, kids and pets playing in sunny daytime, is where the 4K photo mode will be really useful.

In the end, I decided to return the GH4 and continue to use the E-M1 (along with my Canon 5D Mark III and Panasonic X920 camcorder), since the disappointing image stabilization of the GH4 during video isn't something that will be fixed in a firmware update, and I shoot just as much video as photos nowadays, and they're all run and gun styled home videos. The E-M1 is just so much better at image stabilization, and I don't need broadcast quality for home videos, so GH4's superior image quality and video features don't really mean much for my needs. With thasaid, if I were to shoot a professional project, then I would definitely pick the GH4 over the E-M1.
3 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
(This review is actually written by Jason's wife) I love this camera! This was definitely the right choice for me- I have been using a Canon t1i and recently have been feeling the need to upgrade both lenses and camera body since Jason recently got into amateur car racing (on track) and my Canon couldn't really keep up even with very high speed SD cards, although they did help. In my research I learned that for auto racing photography you need a camera with a minimum of 5fps shutter speed, which is double the maximum rate of my Canon and that upgraded lenses would not only be expensive, but also huge and very heavy. That might not be a problem for a healthy man with an expensive tripod, but I am a petite woman living in extreme constant pain (very bad car accident) and only able to use my right arm due to major problems with my left shoulder and my right shoulder has issues too, so it also hurts even when not doing anything. Because of this, I really can't lift more than 5 pounds without possibly causing even more damage and pain, so extra weight was not going to work. Also, I cannot manually focus as I can only operate and hold the camera with my right hand and can only help out with my left hand when the camera is on my lap and I can use my hand without much weight on it and without rotating my arm, so even lens changes can be a bit tricky with small lenses and impossible with large ones.
This camera takes incredibly fast pictures and the continuous autofocus is really good. I am also very impressed that it's very easy to set it to back button focus and it's very easy to pan with. I knew going in that the micro four thirds format would make it harder/not always possible to get a nice motion blur or really good bokeh because of the crop factor of the sensor, so if that's important to you, I would recommend getting lenses with the largest aperture possible. My second wish for this camera has more to do with the available lenses than the actual camera, which is that I wish there were a 100-300mm lens with a larger aperture than the current Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6. I'm sure every photographer who has used or considered the micro four thirds format wishes that they would make an adapter that allows non micro four thirds lenses to autofocus/autofocus as quickly as the micro four thirds lenses do or make more high end lenses for this format, although I'm sure that will happen in time. For now, the pros vastly outweigh the cons for me and I am extremely happy with my new camera. I haven't played with the video capabilities on this yet, but I can't wait to play with that feature as well.
PS For those interested in using this camera with one hand, see my reviews on the "Movo Photo HSG-7 Deluxe Neoprene Dual Wrist and Grip Strap" and the "Accessory Genie Professional Digital Film DSLR Camera Hand Grip Strap with Metal Plate by USA Gear - Works With Canon XC10 , EOS Rebel T6s , PowerShot SX410 IS & More"
One person found this helpful
on September 5, 2015
This is my very first camera ever and on the first day of arrival, I was overwhelmed with the amount of features and options that this thing had. The fact that I don't use their presets, I try to shoot everything manually. With that in mind, I was a bit stress because I didn't know much about cameras and had a lot of disappointing shots (very ugly shots) that led me to regret buying it. As each day went by, it slowly crept up to me how awesome this little guy is as I learn more and more about it. I'm still learning how to adjust everything and so far I'm getting better.

I'm still having trouble getting the time lapse to work and trying to understand how the slow motion at 96fps work.

All in all, it's all trial and error at this point but I'm learning along the way and making my shots look a lot better as I progress. I hope to spend many more years with this guy.
2 people found this helpful