Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Style Name: Frustration Free Packaging|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,412 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 2,532 reviews
on February 12, 2016
I received my Philips Norelco Shaver 4100 from Amazon about 10 days ago. It's my first electric after using a regular razor for many years. My step-son has used a Norelco for several years and loves it, so after I retired and quit shaving every morning, I decided to try one. My once-a-week morning scrape wasn't working-the long hairs clogged the multi-blade razor to uselessness on a 3-day growth. I first bought an inexpensive beard trimmer clippers, but it seemed like too much work to clip and shave both. I looked at all the electrics on Amazon and read all the reviews (as I always do). This model looked like it had the different shaver heads than the really low priced models, so I decided to go for this model in the $50-$60 price range.

When I got the 4100, I charged it up and read the instructions. The instructions said to use a light touch. Since I hadn't shaved for a week, I decided to press a little harder than what I would call a light touch. The 4100 surprisingly got all the long hairs despite what the naysayers said in some reviews. I did get some razor burn on my neck. Some rubbing alcohol (I like the sting) and hand lotion fixed that. 3-4 days later I shaved with the 4100 again, this time with a lighter touch. It was a good shave, but I still got a little burn. More alcohol. The last time I shaved, just before writing this review, I decided to use a really light touch and see how it worked. Shoot, I still got a good shave and no discomfort from razor burn. It really works like they say using a light touch.

Pros
The 4100 is very quiet.
It is easy to open up and clean dry or wet.
It gives a good shave effortlessly with no hard pressing.
It's light and easy to maneuver.
It got all the long hairs from a week-old beard.
The clipper works good on the side burns.

Cons
I haven't found any at this point.
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2016
absurdly good. I have extremely sensitive skin and have dipped my toes into the electric shaver market every now and again over the years, always having to go back to a blade because both rotary and foil shavers absolutely chewed my skin up; even after the "your skin needs to get used to it" period. Been shaving with a blade for the past 8 years but even that's become a bit rough for my skin. Once again, looked at electric shavers. Bought this one based on the reviews and OMG.... finally a shaver that glides over my sensitive skin effortlessly. Incredibly close shave and ZERO irritation, even the first time using it. Works even better with a quality shave cream. Best investment I've made in years. Let's hope it's built to hold up over time.
on November 28, 2014
Since the 1950s this is about my 12th Norelco shaver. I have always been happy with the shave they give me and this one is no exception.

Not only is it light weight, and comfortable to hold, it is very quiet and gives me a close comfortable shave without the mess of water and lather over a sink. If I'm in a rush, I can shave in the car or anywhere else since it is portable. The lithium batteries will hold out for more than a week without a recharge so I can take it on a long fishing trip or camp grounds.

This model came without a storage pouch, but I seldom used one anyway, however, for a first time buyer, this might be a detraction.

One trick to learn while using these shavers is not to skip too many days. It is very tough to scour through 4 or five days of growth all at once. I never skip more than a day, even on trips.

I expect to get 2 or more years of use without changing blades. The batteries should hold out for at least that long.

This is a great shaver for any active man. Sometimes I'm tempted to switch brands but I never can come up with a good reason.
on March 17, 2013
I've had electric razors before, some rotary and some foil heads, but I've always returned to the blade and foam because it just seemed I would get a much closer shave. Well, I think Norelco really got it right with this model electric shaver. You do have to give it the time it wants to do the job, but I have come to believe it can match the blade for closeness and it doesn't irritate your skin like some electric shavers do. I have to admit that I was kind of skeptical about Norelco's slots and holes in the shaving head. They claim that the holes get closer to cutting off the stubble that the slots leave behind. It sounded like advertising hype to me. Well, Norelco was right. It must be the reason why the Norelco gives you such a close shave. I'm amazed how good it can shave you. It can match the blade for closeness, so I've retired the blade and don't miss it one bit. Good job,Norelco!!
33 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2016
I own one of these Norelco Wet / Dry cordless razors and I like it so much, I ordered one
for my son-in-law for Christmas. We both primarily enjoy a clean, blade shave.
However, there are days when your facial skin becomes sensitive to a blade and you experience blade burns and
nicks. On those days, this Norelco is the perfect alternative razor. Use wet with soap for a clean, close, comfortable shave.
One cordless razor charge lasts for about 35 minutes. The flip up trimmer on the back of the razor is extremely handy. Highly recommended.
on January 2, 2016
I've only used it today and it was the best shave I've had in quite some time. I will update my review if this razor doesn't live up to my expectations.

Some people have suggested that this razor doesn't pick up every hair but I don't know if any electric razor does. I've never had any Philips Norelco that has! My hair grows quite thick and after I get done with a wet have, I do a light cleanup of the sideburns and those tricky areas like the neck and beneath the nose with an old fashioned safety razors like below. This keeps me from having to buy those expensive name brand shavers and blades. This is how I was able to use my previous Philips Norelco for 8 years! I don't know much better the 4500 series or the other expensive razors are but I think the 4100, 4200 (Target version), or similar are perfectly fine.

Another benefit of this razor is that the HQ8 heads are reasonably priced and if you don't want to keep buying them, you can sharpen them on a mirror. Google this to find out in detail how this works but here is the gist: take a cheap mirror and put a little mineral/baby oil on it. Then take the blades out of the head (one at a time - remember, each head & blade is precision matched) and run them over the mirror in a figure "8" motion, ensuring that you sharpen them at various angles. Do this for 50-100 times for each set of blades. You'll be amazed that the results.

Parker 22R - Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor & 5 Shark Super Chrome Blades

Parker 86R Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor & **100 Shark Super Chrome Blades **

100 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge

Astra Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades ,100 Blades (20 x 5)

My previous razor was the Philips Norelco Razor 8270XLPhilips Norelco Razor 8270XL Men's Rechargeable Cordless Razor SpeedXL Deluxe Special Edition that I bought in 2008 and died right at the end of 2015. This razor was good but the HQ9 blades were too expensive and I don't think the razor or the blades were too much better than the HQ8.
on December 6, 2016
Wet shaving is great. I had been missing out. My previous wet shaver had no hair catch and used those proprietary norelco nivea bottles, it was not a great experience. This lets me dry shave when I'm in a rush, and shave with gel and water when I have a bit more time. The wet shave feels so nice and silky and it is great for me since I get regular acne around the jaw. Suprisingly, I can shave throughout without cutting up blemishes, and the wet shaving helps with irritation and not making things worse.
Pro-tip, when using gel or shaving cream, keep wetting the shaver to clear any build up, keep it clean, and also help it glide easier. Its possible to do this without keeping it wet, but its harder to clean up all the cream from inside the blades later. When you shave with it wet, you can literally just pop it open, rinse it out, and put it away.
Norelco claims that you need to adjust to this shaver, and I almost gave up on it the first 2 weeks. It did break in, though, and now it does a great job. I've exclusively used this style triple head rotary norelco dry shavers, so I didn't think I would need this adjustment period, and I almost thought it was junk but stuck with it. Now with the wet shave... heaven...
on April 30, 2014
To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this razor. My last Norelco rotary (that cost 3 times as much) had died and I needed something fast. I usually shaved with blades but used an electric razor for the "quickies".

Well, I was more than pleasantly surprised. The reason is that since this unit is waterproof, I can shave in the shower using foam as I would with a blade. It's faster, easier, and will be far less expensive in the long run. I never thought "foam" and "electric razor" belonged together in the same sentence, let alone in the same shower, but there is a reason this unit is waterproof! Try it! It feels as close as a blade now, which I have never experienced with an electric razor before. Also, it solves the problem of "razor burn" and irritated skin.

I must admit I was getting tired of buying those expensive packs of Gillette Fusion blades, and they never seemed to last long enough for what they cost, so I always used them longer than I should and half the time was getting a lousy shave anyway. Now I'm using this razor exclusively, and smugly smile each time knowing that this razor didn't cost much more than a single pack of Gillette Fusion disposables at Costco. Life is good!
on April 25, 2016
Recently, I shaved my head and was using a blade to maintain it every few days. It was becoming a bit if a chore, so I considered an electric razor, hoping it would provide a near-razor cut without irritating my scalp too much. This Norelco shaver delivers far beyond my expectations.

When I first tried it, I had about four days worth of stubble on my head and wasn't sure if a pre-shave was in order, but I gave it a try, dry, with no preparation products. No irritation, did a good job, about as good as my razor - far less time and no fiddling with a mirror trying to see the back of my head.

I have been using it daily since and it has only gotten better. Having become accustomed to how much pressure to use I get a far better shave than I used to with with my razor without wasting money on shaving creams, without mirrors, and only spending 1/2 to 1/4 of the time I used to.

Cleanup is a snap with the flip top head. Press the button, tap it over the garbage can, give it a little blow and it's done.

So far, there is nothing about it I don't like. I can't offer any review about wet use or facial use as I have only used it dry to maintain my head and use a blade for lining up my beard which requires precision.

If it ever breaks on me, I would absolutely buy another one.
on September 30, 2014
I am not kidding about the title. I ask myself, "why did I not buy an electric razor sooner!?" I would hear things like, "they don't shave close enough," or "they irritate your skin." Those people have never tried this razor apparently.

I literally just got done using this for the first time (updates to come) and I am blown away by the quality of the shaver. I got a closer shave than I was able to get from my Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor (also a very good razor). This was done dry and without washing my face first (not recommended, though superb it was)!

Once again, very impressed overall. Quality materials, genius design, lithium battery, super convenient, close shave.

Be sure to read the instructions before use. It will recommend that you charge the razor for an hour before use. It will also give you good tips on quick cleaning so that the razor will remain optimal for the life of the razor head. Recommends you change the razor head annually.

May be important to note that my skin does not get irritated as easily as some.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.