Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Style Name: Frustration Free Packaging|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,345 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,532 reviews
on February 12, 2016
I received my Philips Norelco Shaver 4100 from Amazon about 10 days ago. It's my first electric after using a regular razor for many years. My step-son has used a Norelco for several years and loves it, so after I retired and quit shaving every morning, I decided to try one. My once-a-week morning scrape wasn't working-the long hairs clogged the multi-blade razor to uselessness on a 3-day growth. I first bought an inexpensive beard trimmer clippers, but it seemed like too much work to clip and shave both. I looked at all the electrics on Amazon and read all the reviews (as I always do). This model looked like it had the different shaver heads than the really low priced models, so I decided to go for this model in the $50-$60 price range.

When I got the 4100, I charged it up and read the instructions. The instructions said to use a light touch. Since I hadn't shaved for a week, I decided to press a little harder than what I would call a light touch. The 4100 surprisingly got all the long hairs despite what the naysayers said in some reviews. I did get some razor burn on my neck. Some rubbing alcohol (I like the sting) and hand lotion fixed that. 3-4 days later I shaved with the 4100 again, this time with a lighter touch. It was a good shave, but I still got a little burn. More alcohol. The last time I shaved, just before writing this review, I decided to use a really light touch and see how it worked. Shoot, I still got a good shave and no discomfort from razor burn. It really works like they say using a light touch.

Pros
The 4100 is very quiet.
It is easy to open up and clean dry or wet.
It gives a good shave effortlessly with no hard pressing.
It's light and easy to maneuver.
It got all the long hairs from a week-old beard.
The clipper works good on the side burns.

Cons
I haven't found any at this point.
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2016
absurdly good. I have extremely sensitive skin and have dipped my toes into the electric shaver market every now and again over the years, always having to go back to a blade because both rotary and foil shavers absolutely chewed my skin up; even after the "your skin needs to get used to it" period. Been shaving with a blade for the past 8 years but even that's become a bit rough for my skin. Once again, looked at electric shavers. Bought this one based on the reviews and OMG.... finally a shaver that glides over my sensitive skin effortlessly. Incredibly close shave and ZERO irritation, even the first time using it. Works even better with a quality shave cream. Best investment I've made in years. Let's hope it's built to hold up over time.
on June 14, 2012
Pros:

-cheaper than buying cartridge razors like the Fusion, especially if you shave twice a day
-less irritating, once your skin gets used to it
-waterproof
-light, long lasting battery pack (I charge it once a week)
-easy to clean

Cons:

-not as close of a shave as disposable blade razors
-hard to get a close shave on angle of jaw and neck
-big and bulky and traps water in its nooks and crannies, not the best travel shaver
-Planned obsolescence: Battery pack is not user serviceable, once it stops holding a charge, it's scrap. Also with the high cost of replacement heads at half of the cost of a new shaver, it's almost a foregone conclusion you'll be upgrading to a new one in a year or two.

In short: read the instructions, take the 20 days (I'd say a month) for your skin to acclimate, and clean the shaving heads regularly.
22 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2014
Since the 1950s this is about my 12th Norelco shaver. I have always been happy with the shave they give me and this one is no exception.

Not only is it light weight, and comfortable to hold, it is very quiet and gives me a close comfortable shave without the mess of water and lather over a sink. If I'm in a rush, I can shave in the car or anywhere else since it is portable. The lithium batteries will hold out for more than a week without a recharge so I can take it on a long fishing trip or camp grounds.

This model came without a storage pouch, but I seldom used one anyway, however, for a first time buyer, this might be a detraction.

One trick to learn while using these shavers is not to skip too many days. It is very tough to scour through 4 or five days of growth all at once. I never skip more than a day, even on trips.

I expect to get 2 or more years of use without changing blades. The batteries should hold out for at least that long.

This is a great shaver for any active man. Sometimes I'm tempted to switch brands but I never can come up with a good reason.
on November 7, 2016
I own one of these Norelco Wet / Dry cordless razors and I like it so much, I ordered one
for my son-in-law for Christmas. We both primarily enjoy a clean, blade shave.
However, there are days when your facial skin becomes sensitive to a blade and you experience blade burns and
nicks. On those days, this Norelco is the perfect alternative razor. Use wet with soap for a clean, close, comfortable shave.
One cordless razor charge lasts for about 35 minutes. The flip up trimmer on the back of the razor is extremely handy. Highly recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 4, 2016
The Phillips Norelco 4100 Shaver was a replacement to my 9160XL which was beginning to wear out after 8 years. My order came very quick, and it was packaged in what appeared to be non-descript packaging. It came in plain cardboard packaging, and not the horrible plastic bubble casing you would see in the store.

The 4100 Shaver works well in and out of the shower, and charges quickly. It is longer than my old shaver, and it sounds very quiet and slower compared to my old shaver. It shaves quite well, and I enjoy taking it into the shower to do a wet shave.

It is easy to clean, and looks nice. I just wish it had a charging stand like the Norelco 9160XL did so it doesn't have to lay on the bathroom sink counter.

Since I travel, I may purchase another for my travel kit since my other razor is not recharging anymore.
VINE VOICEon January 26, 2013
Updated review: My only initial concern when I purchased the razor was that it would not work when it was plugged in, so when the battery goes bad the razor is trash. Well I am happy to report that so far the battery shows no signs of deterioration, and it's been a year and a half since purchase. I would still highly recommend this razor.
Initial Review:
I love the feel of the grip and the look of this razor. The cut...well it takes a bit of getting used to. The instruction says it takes 21 days for your skin to get used to the razor and your razor to get used to your skin. If it doesn't happen they say they will take it back, I've had mine a week so far and have begun shaving at night so the razor burns have 8 to 10 hours to calm down before I go out in public. Don't get me wrong, it's not too bad and my lower neck has always been prone to redness from shaving. But so far it feels like it will take the whole 21 days or darn close for me to adjust. So if you buy it be prepared for the break in period. UPDATE: The 21 day break in period is over and as advertised the razor is no longer rough on my skin. I do believe however that the break in period is less about skin getting used to the way the new razor cuts, and more about the razor blades becoming broken in and less abrasive. Either way the result is the same, the razor is working great!

On the plus side: It feels like it cuts really nice and close, and you can feel the blades conforming to your face, so it is as advertised. It's very quiet. It also seems to be a lot more gentle on your face if you shave everyday. I'm a bit lazy so sometimes I'm cutting 2 to 3 days worth of hair and that probably won't work with this little piece of equipment.

On the negative side: It seems like you have to rinse it to clean it and I am used to just being able to shake the razor clean daily and a thorough brush clean weekly. Not this one. The hair seems to want to cling to the inside. I don't know but running my hard Florida water over the blades a few times a week seems like a recipe for disaster, what with the blades being $30 to $40. Another thing I don't like it is won't run when plugged in. I didn't know they made them like that. My last shaver ran cordless and plugged in so when the batteries gave out, as they always do, I used it for a couple more years as a plugin. Won't be possible with this, when the battery dies, it's useless.

Overall so far the razor seems to perform as it claims, gives a nice close cut, cuts the hair instead of ripping it out, and is nice and quiet. So I give it 4 stars. On star off for not being easy to clean, and the 21 day break in period.
on January 2, 2016
I've only used it today and it was the best shave I've had in quite some time. I will update my review if this razor doesn't live up to my expectations.

Some people have suggested that this razor doesn't pick up every hair but I don't know if any electric razor does. I've never had any Philips Norelco that has! My hair grows quite thick and after I get done with a wet have, I do a light cleanup of the sideburns and those tricky areas like the neck and beneath the nose with an old fashioned safety razors like below. This keeps me from having to buy those expensive name brand shavers and blades. This is how I was able to use my previous Philips Norelco for 8 years! I don't know much better the 4500 series or the other expensive razors are but I think the 4100, 4200 (Target version), or similar are perfectly fine.

Another benefit of this razor is that the HQ8 heads are reasonably priced and if you don't want to keep buying them, you can sharpen them on a mirror. Google this to find out in detail how this works but here is the gist: take a cheap mirror and put a little mineral/baby oil on it. Then take the blades out of the head (one at a time - remember, each head & blade is precision matched) and run them over the mirror in a figure "8" motion, ensuring that you sharpen them at various angles. Do this for 50-100 times for each set of blades. You'll be amazed that the results.

Parker 22R - Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor & 5 Shark Super Chrome Blades

Parker 86R Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor & **100 Shark Super Chrome Blades **

100 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge

Astra Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades ,100 Blades (20 x 5)

My previous razor was the Philips Norelco Razor 8270XLPhilips Norelco Razor 8270XL Men's Rechargeable Cordless Razor SpeedXL Deluxe Special Edition that I bought in 2008 and died right at the end of 2015. This razor was good but the HQ9 blades were too expensive and I don't think the razor or the blades were too much better than the HQ8.
on December 6, 2016
Wet shaving is great. I had been missing out. My previous wet shaver had no hair catch and used those proprietary norelco nivea bottles, it was not a great experience. This lets me dry shave when I'm in a rush, and shave with gel and water when I have a bit more time. The wet shave feels so nice and silky and it is great for me since I get regular acne around the jaw. Suprisingly, I can shave throughout without cutting up blemishes, and the wet shaving helps with irritation and not making things worse.
Pro-tip, when using gel or shaving cream, keep wetting the shaver to clear any build up, keep it clean, and also help it glide easier. Its possible to do this without keeping it wet, but its harder to clean up all the cream from inside the blades later. When you shave with it wet, you can literally just pop it open, rinse it out, and put it away.
Norelco claims that you need to adjust to this shaver, and I almost gave up on it the first 2 weeks. It did break in, though, and now it does a great job. I've exclusively used this style triple head rotary norelco dry shavers, so I didn't think I would need this adjustment period, and I almost thought it was junk but stuck with it. Now with the wet shave... heaven...
on January 7, 2017
I bought this on the premise that I could use it in the shower with shaving cream. Which, you can. However, despite running over the same area multiple times, it still can't remove all of the hair, leaving a thick stubble behind. It also leaves me with razor burn and ingrown hairs. And even after using it, I STILL have to use a regular straight razor to get a clean shave. And do NOT even attempt to use this anywhere other than your face. You will otherwise wind up with the worst case of razor burn/rash ever.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.