Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 2, 2014
Maybe it could be 2.5 stars if there were that option. Meaning, I didn't like it, per se, but I did finish reading it one day while I was sick on the couch and a bit out of it and couldn't concentrate on anything serious.

Fluff, yes, and not well written fluff either, as another reviewer noted. As I read it, I thought that this author knew very little about anything she was writing about so just included code words and things from books/tv to try to give it a flavor (as in the NYC cabbie who says "where to, Mack?" seriously? I couldn't believe I just read that). It was about as trite as the romance novel the heroine was writing. But I read it through, and decided I don't need to read more books in this series.

Those who like chick lit type of urban fantasy may like this, and I suppose it might be notable because I believe it was written before urban fantasy like that was all the rage, but overall, not my thing at all. I guess it was ok for the $2 I paid for it, but for those who might want to check it out, I'd suggest the library.
on December 2, 2014
This was definitely a good read and a great continuation of the Diana Tregarde series. I loved that you got to meet some new characters and that it drew on other world traditions and seamlessly incorporated them into the story. One thing I will say: I wish that the author would be a little clearer in terms of establishing real-world timelines and locations. For example, in the first book, I was under the impression that the books were written in "real-time", that is to say, now or at least the present time when the author was writing. This book was very hazy on that; it seemed like it was set in the 1970s based on clothing descriptions and that kind of thing. Don't get me wrong; me and my big Pam Grier afro love the 70s, but it didn't make sense with the timeline in which I understood the first book to be set. It would have been more helpful to the storyline if I had a better grasp on when exactly it was supposed to be taking place. That's my only real criticism, and even that could be chalked up to my not having read the first book with as much scrutiny. That being said, I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the first Diana Tregarde book. She is the same, down-to-earth, cool-without-trying fun protagonist that she was in the first book. The character descriptions in this were amazing; I found it really easy to let my imagination run wild with this book. It was great.
on September 30, 2014
This may be my favorite Diana Tregarde story yet. We get to know her more deeply as a person. I already liked her, but after reading this novel, I feel that I really "know" her.
The secondary characters are very well fleshed out, and I fell in love with Andre' and was hoping for a romance between him and Diana.
Not that there is much time for romance when you are both a "guardian", and a romance writer! Not only does Di have a deadline to meet for her current serial romance book, but something is killing people and eating their souls! If that's not
bad enough, her ex lover is back in town, up to his eyeballs in trouble of the magical kind, and asking for Di's help!
What's a guardian to do?
That's the million dollar question, and Diana better find the answer fast, or, she and her friends are gonna find themselves in deep kimshe!
on May 28, 2014
My only problem with this series is it gets bogged down, and very slow in places. This one focused a lot on her having panic attacks without ever really detailing what caused them. Seems to be a common theme in this genre.... I thought I had read every book and story in this series but I don't recall seeing anything that explains the cause. The book immediately before this one didn't have any details... Seems it would be very difficult to defend the innocent if you are afraid to leave your apartment...

Still the writing is wonderful and evocative. I love Ms. Lackey's technique. She pulls you into the story and holds your attention, painting pictures with her words.
on April 16, 2015
The only thing I will ever say negative about this novel is the author killed off the series and didn’t write more. I have done some research and discovered the author abandoned the series due to outside influences with fans; something about a stalker if I’m not mistaken and it just ruined the series for the author, but yet beyond this tragedy this is an awesome story. I’ve read and read and read this series, especially “Children of the Night” edition, and will never get enough of it. I imagine reading this novel well into my twilight years. I first bought this novel in paperwork years ago, decades ago, and now have it on my Nook with the Kindle App. attachment to purchase this through Amazon. Great buy and highly recommend this to any fan of vampires and the supernatural.
on September 13, 2014
Purely awful. I have enjoyed Lackey in the past, but this time not. Characters are uniformly unlikeable, plotting is jerky, and most unforgiveably the author's rabid (and irrelevant to the story) political views broke me right out of her world. Major, major turn-off.
on December 20, 2017
Tried as I may it wasn’t possible for me to like this book or make a personal connection with the main character. Left it unfinished and don’t think I’ll pick it up again.
on July 31, 2014
I read this when it first came out - I read everything I could of hers - and again just now after she released a new Diana Tregarde book. The magic is still there and it's every bit as good as I remember it being. Clearly delineated characters with real personalities who change and develop over the course of the book. I can't wait to read the rest of these books again!
on July 21, 2014
If you're looking for a light, fairly well developed plot of a supernatural story, you will probably be happy with this book. If you're looking for a "Stephen King" type story with intricate plots and astoundingly developed characters, then you might be disappointed with this book. I liked it OK but then again, I do love the Stephen King style!
on September 30, 2014
This is the second Diana Tragarde novel published but the first if you're reading them in chronological order. The novels in their chronological order are Children of the Night,Burning Water and Jinx High.

Anyway these are great reads for fans of paranormal mysteries.