YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shop for your business Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning JustAddMagic JustAddMagic JustAddMagic  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Beat the Cold with Outdoor Clothing on Amazon NYNN

Showing 1-10 of 103 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 170 reviews
on February 16, 2015
At the risk of sounding like faint praise, in comparison to the stack of rave reviews, it is an OK read, imo.
The premise is not new, though some of the details are interesting. For anyone that has read much Sci-Fi with 'ships coming', this book will read like many they have read before.

The pages of overdone/flowery description in certain scenes, (Sandy's trek through northern CA, the contrived 'conversations' by the fighter pilots in most of the scenes, et al), are almost parody.

The usual plot faults, timing events and the frequent use of plot replay by different characters is page filling at best, boring at its usual.

Some sections read like a pitched movie script, (I have read a few), and the characters for all the pages given to them, are less than fulfilling, imo.

Several books in this general vein come to mind, but for one of the best, read A.C.Clarke's Childhood's End.

3 Stars, and that is being munificent, imo.
on November 4, 2014
One of the finest SciFy books I have ever read. Outstanding development of plot and characters. The author has an dynamic method of drawing the reader into the story. I would recommend this book for anyone wanting an excited read that will draw you out of today's drama. I give this author two thumbs up and I am excited to see the movie.
on November 10, 2016
I found the beginning of the book a little hard to get into but I'm glad that I stuck with it. There's a lot of cloak and dagger stuff that had to happen for the whole story to make sense. The characters are well developed and interact very realistically. I really enjoyed the book and can't wait to start reading the second! Highly recommended!
on August 21, 2016
The author, Mr. Cole, sucked me in from the beginning to the end. I really enjoyed the realistic descriptions of the action between the waring parties. I truly didn't want the book to end but of course there is room left for many sequels. My favorite part is when the alien chops off a few heads because who doesn't love a little blood and gore.
on November 5, 2014
Finally! A Sci-Fi book that I can't put down! Well planned and executed, Mr Dean Cole was able to capture my attention with stunning detail and action. From a professional pilot's perspective it was accurate and intense!
on January 16, 2016
Different take on the "first contact" scenario....but seems somewhat written toward young adults as the characters aren't fully developed and there's some fairly unbelievable situations along the way. Also the audiobook narrator is a little over the top on his dramatic rendition of the story but the listener should be able to adapt to the style fairly quickly. Overall, an enjoyable "read" while trudging on the treadmill every morning. Not sure if I'll pick up the second episode of the story, but I'll check it out and then decide.
on October 12, 2015
Can't wait for Book #2 in the series! Quick, easy read. Kept me entertained, was a nice twist on the alien invasion story line. I thought the characters were pretty well developed. There were a few obvious situations in the book, but not enough to lower the rating.
on May 4, 2016
I wanted to like this book more than I did, but I read it through, the first of my last three books that I've picked up that I actually finished. Unfortunately, it was merely OK.

On the plus side, while somewhat standard space opera, it was a decent stab at it. The end was basically reasonable, with no deus ex machina solutions. The pace was good, and some of the characters were engaging. While I thought that there was a little too much explanation of the author's universe, it was still a reasonable extrapolation of a possible present/future, something that is often lacking in other scifi novels.

For the most part, the military rang true, which is not surprising given that the author was an Apache pilot.

What dragged things down for me were some hackneyed tropes, such as the enemy being reptiles whose fangs always dripped (once, the lips dripped, but I thing that was a missed error), who wanted to eat humans, and who casually killed others of their kind when they said something to annoy their commanders. To me, these beings were almost indistinguishable from the character Sarris in the parody "Galaxy Quest." Then, to have every one of the aliens die on the ship except for the horribly evil captain was pushing it.

The character Vic was almost as bad of a trope. He's a sniveling coward, afraid of spiders and about everything else, and who is constantly berated by his dead mother to the point that he answers her back. Yet this guy is a F22 pilot? He passed all his psychological screenings? Of course, what he does in the end was telegraphed as soon as the plot became clear.

The "greasy haired" meth-heads were not only stereotypical, they were extremely gratuitous and a major distraction.

There were other mistakes, such as Air Force medics being called corpsmen, and I don't think the author knows that much about Nellis AFB, from the base layout to the O'Club to the rank of the commanding officer. Another highly-placed officer in the narrative is only a brigadier general when in reality, he'd probably have at least three stars. And to be nit-picky, little things like how far an F22 can fly on 600 gallons of avgas (although the amount should have been stated in pounds, not gallons) can easily be looked up online, and it is more than 400 miles and not the 100 miles in the narrative.

Whether is is almost comical tropes or simple mistakes, these things pulled me out of the story, and that is too bad, because the main storyline was good. I read the book in one sitting after taking my wife to the hospital and waiting for all her tests, so I was pretty glad I had something to read. Given that I enjoyed it, I cannot claim the book is bad, only that it could have been much better with some beta readers or a good editor.
on January 31, 2016
A good first novel by Dean M. Cole that was so gripping I had trouble putting it down. The well-developed alien cultures were interesting, particularly the concept that Argonians had both a physical form and a data format which houses the knowledge the have gained over a long life-span - both the organic Argonian body and the digital Avatar are linked. The action had me literally on the edge of my seat and I went through an emotional rollar-coaster once I realised what the alien Zoxyth weapon did to humanity and the Argonian Galactic Defence Force - it's one sick weapon for sure. The characters were great and as I read I felt real empathy for them at their losses and despair for missing loved ones and in the face of the alien Zoxyth attack on Earth. The plot was well developed and Cole introduced some very interesting tech ideas that contributed to my enjoyment of the story. I am now just waiting for book 2 which should be arriving on my pc kindle in a few hours.
on June 16, 2015
The plot was exciting but the dialogue was bad. Too many canned euphemisms and stilted dialogue with a few too many cliff hangers made this more a poorly written wanna be treatment for a movie script. I found myself often saying "come on, not again" with each predictable plot gimmick.