Spring Deals Automotive HPC Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on March 6, 2014
The synopsis of this book gives you a great idea of what its about. Even still, I made a huge mistake in how I believed this book would be….and how it would turn out (no spoilers so I will stop there). For this reason and so many more, I really recommend Essence (The EVE Series). A.L Waddington is an exceptional storyteller and uses strong character development to attach the readers to the characters. This is not science-fiction, more like historical paranormal/fantasy (still scratching my head as to why I was so convinced it was sci-fi when I started reading).

Essence is a first-person account of the life (lives?) of Joselyn Timmons. She is a high school senior who isn’t looking for a boyfriend when the beautiful Jackson moves in across the street. Jackson is a dark haired, green-eyed, charmer who also happens to have a mean pair of hands at the wide receiver position. He moves in and captures the attention of everyone in school. I pictured Jackson as an Ian Somerhalder type (but a bit taller). The one subjective criticism of the book I had was Jackson. He was just too perfect for me. I like my characters a little more flawed and damaged. However, I believe 99% of readers of the book will LOVE Jackson (so I’m just a little weird like that).

Jackson takes an immediate interest in Joselyn. Joselyn also feels some sort of familiarity with Jackson she can’t explain. When he is near her, she feels dizzy, and even faints on a few occasions (which intrigues Jackson). That’s really all that can be explained in this book without spoilers. I will say this, you start getting an understanding of what’s going on within a few chapters…just not how it will play out. This book will appeal to young adults, new adult, paranormal, fantasy, and women’s contemporary fiction enthusiasts. Give it a read! You will enjoy it.
on October 31, 2014
I couldn't stop reading this really good story! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is some of the grammar is too stilted. Otherwise, it would definitely get 5 stars---just a pet peeve on my part. Read Jocelyn's story, and get ready for a new dimension!
on April 21, 2016
This book needs a serious editor. Before I continue, I want to say that I'm not a grammar freak. I rarely notice grammatical errors. So, when I say it needs an editor, it's not about the grammar. There are so many misused words in this book, it drove me insane. The problem is, when you use the wrong word, but it's spelled correctly, then spelling/grammar check isn't going to pick up on it. Little things like form instead of from, pray instead of play, that kind of stuff, is distracting. Having a book professionally edited can help pick up on those things.

Okay, I lied, there is a grammar problem too. It's the use of tenses. This book is written in first person present tense. However, frequently the author throws in a past tense in the middle of present tenses, which also drove me a bit crazy. Choose one and stick with it. It's distracting!

I also didn't appreciate the level of detail provided by the author. Too much description is just as bad as not enough. I don't need to know what each part of lunch consists of unless it's a relevant part of the story. The same thing applies to hair and eye color of every person she meets, even those only mention in passing. The clothing descriptions made me wonder if this was supposed to be a prep for a fashion magazine. Simply put, it's okay to say, we had dinner and discussed my college choices, without describing the pot roast with all the trimmings, the type of drinks and how many grains are in the bread.

The book also dates itself by trying to mention too much of pop culture from the time. I think for future books the author should consider no mentioning specific pop culture references, such as the New Moon movie coming out in a few weeks. The only reason for this is that being more general allows for a more diverse audience (For example, in five years, do you still want this book to seem relevant to the target audience? If so, then don't mention something that's popular in 2009, it isn't going to matter much for 2016 or in 2020).

There is a major disconnect for me when it comes to Jackson and Jocelyn. Their inability to touch (not a spoiler, it was in the description of the book) is interesting but never explained. ****Warning Minor Spoiler Ahead inside of the asterisks!!! My biggest problem is that despite the serious injuries that occurred each time he got too close, he was always careless and touching her. I don't get that. If not for the intervention of his father, she would have died at the last incident. It doesn't make sense for someone whose supposed to be so caring and conscientious to be so careless and thoughtless.****

Lastly, in the negative column, is the verbiage. I think it's funny that a character specifically mentions how formally someone else speaks when all the writing has them speaking super formal. Occasionally the author seems to realize this and tried to add in "I'm doin somthin" (okay, for example, not an exact quote) in an effort to break it up. Unfortunately, it didn't work. For the most part, these teens sound like they belong in 1896 rather than 2009.

This doesn't mean that the book doesn't have promise. Despite all of its shortcomings, I found myself wanting to continue to read to learn exactly what was going on. The premise was intriguing, although a bit convoluted I found Jackson to actually be a bit of a tool, but loved his family dynamic. Jocelyn is quite likeable and it's easy to understand why she hid the things she did. I like the friendships she has and how they handled disloyalty in their groups.

This book was being offered for free, which is why I picked it up. While I'm curious about the rest of the series, I won't buy them. At the end of book one, there is a "glimpse" of book two. Right away, I found the same problems from the first book, including, "I was determined not to break down in from of him." Yes, from is correct, that's what it says. If the book were $.99, I would probably pick it up, but I can purchase a Stephen King book on Kindle for $5, and it's professionally edited. If, at some point, the author offers further books on Kindle Unlimited, for free or for 99 cents, I'll read on. However, as it currently stands, I'd rather read something that's not going to frustrate me, especially if I'm paying for it!
on May 1, 2014
The story line was good. It has that re-incarnation-like past life message to it. I liked the past story line best.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 12, 2015
While reading this book I found at least 13 grammatical errors. "Too" instead of "to" was used a couple times. "Discreet" was spelled "discrete." The constant errors made me feel like this book wasn't written very professionally and the editors did a bad job of correcting these mistakes. However the storyline was intriguing and I enjoyed this book. I loved the concept of having parallel lives and the romance between Jackson and Jocelyn.
on March 22, 2014
I kept reading this book waiting for it to grab a hold of my interest but it didn't happen until the last few pages. The dynamic between the two main characters was good but this just went on for too long before it got somewhere.
on October 30, 2014
~~I received this in exchange for an honest review~~

I went into read this book blinder than a bat in the day time. I didn't read the synopsis, I didn't read any blurbs. The only that that really caught my attention was the cover. Sometimes it is good to judge a book by its cover, and in this case I am glad that I did. Not only did this book keep me enthralled, but it kept getting better. Some book just plateau and they stay awesome, this book holds mystery and the desire to keep reading.

What if one day you meet a new person, and you immediately start to feel sick to your stomach? And when you go and shake that persons hand, you faint? And while you are passed out you start to see visions of a decade that you aren't apart of, but you remember them as though you are living there? Well, I'd be going crazy that is what I would be doing. Jocelyn is doing this around Jackson, the new kid that lives across the street. But she can't figure out what or why this is happening. She really likes him, but can't hold hands with him. Can she figure out what is going on? Or will she go completely crazy in the process?

This book is great for teen readers and up. It does speak of marriage, and out of wedlock pregnancy, but other than that, this book is outstanding! Like I said at the beginning, I didn't read anything about this book going into it. And I am so glad that I didn't. I was expecting anything and I left my mind open. I can't wait until I can read the second one!!!
on March 20, 2014
“Time will reveal my love.”

Rating: 4.5 stars

Essence is book one of The Eve Series by A.L. Waddington. This is a wonderful, well written book that explores the concept that is written in the synopsis, “Our minds wander, can our souls as well?”

We meet Jocelyn Timmons. She has a normal happy teenage life. She is almost 18, in her last year of high school, is thinking about college and has a wonderful family and great friends. She lives in Chicago in what I perceived to be a beautiful historical neighborhood; the houses are all refurbished old mansions. Her best friend, Jenna, lives to one side of her and her best friend’s boyfriend to the other side. Her life is going along happily but everything changes when the very cute Jackson moves in to the house across the street. Jocelyn is not interested in having a boyfriend but what is it about Jackson? She feels inexplicably drawn to him. But there is a problem. Whenever she gets near him, everything starts to spin, she feels sick and dizzy. Then, when he touches her, everything goes black and she faints. But, it’s during this time that she dreams of another Jocelyn in a much different time.

Jocelyn has a wonderful life, she is engaged to the most wonderful man, Jackson. They will be married in two months. Her best friend Olivia lives on one side of her and Jackson lives across the street. But everything changes when Olivia and her brother William reveal that they have been secretly seeing each other. For her 18th birthday Jackson gives her a beautiful antique woman’s pocket watch but later, when Jocelyn holds the pocket watch, she is instantly transported to a different time. There are things she doesn’t understand in these visions, horseless carriages, music she has never heard of before, and the clothes!!! The girls are in public with clothing allowing parts of their bodies to be seen!

Although the siblings and the friends are different, there is one constant in both of these times, Jackson. And it seems that Jackson knows more about this than he is letting on.

It isn’t until nearly the end of this book that the true nature of what is happening to Jocelyn is revealed. I really enjoyed getting to know Jocelyn in both of these times. Her life is so different. Can Jocelyn come to terms with this gift and will she have to choose which one to remain in? I can’t wait to see what is next for Jackson and Jocelyn. Thank you so much to A.L. Waddington and Booktrope Publishing for allowing me the opportunity to read this book.
The description for Essence by A.L. Waddington had me so intriguing. Time travel or paranormal mysticism, our souls wandering? I am SO in! I really enjoyed the story actually found myself drawn more to Jocelyn in the 1800s than current day, but it was neat to get a historical and modern story at the same time.

The story was very original. I have never read anything like this and it really kept me intrigued until the very end. It was a quick, fast read that kept you turning the pages.

The author did an excellent job with the story, I enjoyed the writing and the plot.

I really liked both Jocelyn and Jackson in both eras, they were decent human beings and that totally helps make them relatable. I hate when people seem so outside of norm that you just cannot connect to them.

The side characters were neat as well, I like Olivia, Jackson’s parents and Jocelyn’s brother a lot. The full cast really brought the story to life.

The ending on this book really as intrigued me to see where this series goes.

The concept of EVE (don’t want to spoil here) is so cool. It would be awesome to imagine what life would be like if you had this ability.

Finding out the reasoning for Jackson getting in contact with Jocelyn was a little crazy, essentially something that happened in one era would happen in the other. I like the whole paranormal mysticism, but when I read that little part I almost gave the book three stars instead of four. I decided to be a little more open-minded because the concept was original and this is fiction.

Disclaimer: A complimentary copy of the ebook was provided to me by the author and publisher in exchange of an honest review. The views expressed above are entirely my own and are in, no way, affected by the source of this book.
on February 24, 2014
Heartrending. Breathtaking. Epic.
This fantastic debut is utterly sensational and left me gasping in awe, of the beautifully written narrative and sublime storytelling. Highly imaginative and well conceived the deftly woven, intricate plot pulls you in with each new page and chapter. I fell in love with the characters and in particular Jocelyn, whose enchanting connection with Jackson I found so touching and inwardly moving. A. L's take on time-travel is truly unique, and the intriguing psychological aspects of this tale are inspired. A. L's acute perception on teen life is perfectly encapsulated, so as to bring nostalgic thoughts to the forefront of my mind.

Essence is an addictive read that takes hold and doesn't let go, right up to the end where you are left wanting more! The characters feel so real and convincing, it is as though you are surrounded by your teenage friends. The sweet romance is only one layer of this deliciously detailed tale, which also incorporates various layers of reality / alternate reality and time frames. The intense, mysterious {mystical?} connection between the star-crossed lovers is projected perfectly - - emphasizing how love endures over the ages.

As gorgeous as the cover - Essence is distinctly original and a *new* series that stands-out within a very popular genre.
This beautiful book is a spellbinding story of paranormal mysticism and YA, which spans across time and space as an eternal message of everlasting love. I would highly recommend this to fans of "All our yesterdays" and "After Eden", and to those who seek an unforgettable read by an author who is certainly one to watch. I cannot wait for book 2: Enlightened and I would like to thank the author for the opportunity to read her work.

Bring on April 2014!!