YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal STEM Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 173 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
on November 8, 2015
This is a terrific account of close in fire fight after fire fight. The reader travels along with troops on one endless hump after endless hump. The soul crushing heat and humidity , clever booby traps designed to mutilate , Monsoons bringing relentless rain,day and night soaked to the bone. Rain so vicious you can't see or hear the NVA ,5 feet from your face. Giant Tigers stalking our soldiers as they stalk the NVA. All of the above why Leeches feast without end. Close friends mutilated and killed ,why survivors push on ,no time to morn, just stay in the fight.
In closing I was a Marine grunt chasing the VC 1965 / 66 . We carried M14's and never came out of the field never! There was no rear area resupply was a joke. Absolutely no Huey's , our uniforms rotted off and we were expected to fix them with com wire . I guess it was a different war?
on August 29, 2015
Since I was part of that grait 173rd airborn unit in Vietnam and lived that experience I like to congratulate Larry for saying things the way they were and personality I will say this's one of the best books made about Vietnam
review image
on January 11, 2016
I was impressed by the authors straight forward presentation. Many of the other Vietnam memoirs I have read the author has used to brag about his own great feats, whereas this author presented a good story line that was not a braggers tribute to himself. I was a little disappointed to find out the girlfriend married someone else, but that was quite common and continues to happen all to often to our military people who have to be away on duty.
on August 1, 2015
I just finished reading this book. I served with Muss and was Ssgt Zettle and Ssgt Hammocks Rto. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and can verify it is authentic and we'll written. As I read through it it took me right back to that time in country and I made the run through the jungle as I read along. Well done Muss and thanks for sharing our story. Lightning
review image
on August 7, 2015
Author is so descriptive that you can't help but feel like you are next to him in the thick jungles and rice paddies of Vietnam. Humor punctuates his stories and to me that shows that while in peril, the author was able to look back with a fondness at bonds that have stood the test of time. We all too often forget what these service men and women went through on the opposite side of the earth and this book brings just a glimpse into what the war in Vietnam was like.
on March 7, 2016
Very detailed and easily read book. The accounts of the combat assaults and daily humping in the jungle are vividly told. His detailed descriptions of the combat actions are intensely written. I like the honest way he relates the "questionable" decisions of the officers in ordering the deployment and their disregard for the danger which was apparent to the seasoned but lesser ranking men like the PFCs, Spec4 and Corporals in the platooon or company. They possess a "I'm the officer" attitude that often led to unnecessary casualties. Mr. Musson relates these events without a personal by justfied dose of "I told them so". All in all a easily read and informative book.
on January 11, 2017
If you're looking fora Vietnam War piece written by a scholar, keep looking because Musson's book isn't it. Not that he didn't do a fair job of documenting the events paired with his responses occurring during his tour, because he gets that done. Sometimes he gets his grammar crossed up, and he retells some things here and there. Also he comes across as a bit of an omniscient storyteller -- he tells of knowing how things are going to turn out before relating events that prove him right. Just about everybody thinks that way but when you put it in writing, over and over, it starts sounding a little too smug. But so what? The guy wrote what he saw, thought, did and felt, and he wrote it with apparent honesty and objectivity. I like that. Nothing's sensationalized, there's no preaching, there's no flashy "realism". I've read a boatload of books about Vietnam and I'd say this one ranks up there with the best.
on January 11, 2017
Read this book and weep for all the brave soldiers who fought a war the was run by the politicians in Washington. Brave men who came home to be spit on, called names and treated as criminals by people who didn't know or care what these men went through. GOD BLESS THEM ALL. But this country will never learn.
on June 4, 2016
FIRST THE EXCHANGE RATE BETWEEN PIASTERS AND GREENBACKS WAS NEVER ONE FOR ONE!! THERE WAS NEVER AT ANYTIME A SWIMMING POOL AT LZ ENGLISH. I KNOW I SPENT MONTHS THERE IN 1969. I HAVE REAL ISSUE WITH THE DESCRIPTIONS OF INCIDENTS AS HE DESCRIBES. I THINK THE PUBLISHER SHOULD FACT CHECK THE ENTIRE BOOK. LZ ENGLISH WAS THE FOB (FORWARD OPERATING BASE) FOR THE 173RD. ENGLISH WAS THE TIP OF THE SPEAR NOT UPLIFT! GENERAL BARNES WAS THE BRIGADE COMMANDER AND COL ROSS FRANKLIN WAS THE DEPUTY BRIGADE COMMANDER. THEY WERE AT ENGLISH ALL THE TIME. I KNEW BOTH AND CONVERSED WITH THEM ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS. I CAN ASSURE YOU THEY WOULD BE ROLLING THEIR EYES. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYBODY WAS IN-COUNTRY FOR MORE THAN A WEEK AND DID NOT KNOW THE EXCHANGE RATE. COME ON! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?
on May 5, 2016
A heartfelt thank you to Mr. Musson for his service and patriotism. At a time when many quite literally ran and/or hid when his country knocked he threw the door wide open and marched from civilian to Sky Soldier with the elite and storied 173rd Airborne Brigade in Viet Nam. In Run Through the Jungle, he generously shares his experiences.

Because of the above and yet in spite of it, what follows is painful and difficult for me to write. It is only my mere opinion, and I offer it out of respect to Mr. Musson, the Armed Services in general and the U.S. Army’s 173rd particularly. Thankfully, Mr. Musson answered one of my biggest questions in his Afterward at Loc 5181—95% on my Kindle Paperwhite. His editor was his “longtime former girlfriend.” You must have really tricked her trigger, Mr. Musson because she did you and your book a huge disservice.

Her injustices to you made this one of the longest and most difficult reads of my life in a subject I am quite passionate about. Her lack of effort, ability, or both are nothing short of a full-frontal assault on English language writing and your readers’ intelligence. It seems her only contribution was running your text through a popular software’s spelling and grammar checker that is notoriously bad and inaccurate.

The abundant contradictions, at times in the same sentence, extensive repetitiveness and punctuation errors throughout made me often wonder if this book ever even had an editor. Every time I picked it up, and there were many, many times, it quickly made me want to put it back down. What should have been a pleasant two-hour read turned into over a month of endurance and stubbornness to finish what I started. It is written in prose and does not flow smoothly like natural speech.

Run Through the Jungle is disjointed and l often wondered if a) it was written by a “poser” trying to cash in on the hardships and honor of others or b) it was a collage of stories, movies and YT clips assembled by a tenth grader learning to write in the first person.