Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(1 star, Verified Purchases). See all 821 reviews
on September 11, 2017
The battery only lasted 8 months when I called customer service they said the battery was only covered for six months and they wanted 200 dollars plus delivery charge for a replacement. Dont buy this unless you have 200 dollars plus delivery every 8 months to get new batteries
on September 14, 2017
I just received my and it not working , how that happen ?
on September 14, 2016
Three days ago I would have given this five-star. But yesterday I heard this clicking sound on the left side and all of a sudden the gray in red covers for the screws popped off and the tire went flat. I happen to have a video of this happening, not that that would make a difference. I went online to see what I could do to repair a flat tire. There are many videos but I came to learn after talking to ninebot that there are no versions of the video for US products nor are there any parts available for purchase for US versions. It turned out my only options were to have it packaged and sent back to the manufacturer (of course the original packaging is long gone), or if I felt it was a simple repair I could send it to the repair depot they have in Michigan. How bizarre is that? They have so many defaults on the warrantee that it appears they responsible for nothing. Now I love the machine and I have learned to master it quite well even at my ripe old age of 68, and have come to depend on it. I basically have given up my car because, as an urban resident these days, I was able to use this machine for daily life (I am a consultant and work out of my home and now do not have the need to travel by car except on occasion).

I am embarrassed to say that I became so dependent on it that I have purchased a new one while the manufacturer figures out what to do and how to handle my present machine. Fortunately unable to do this financially, but competition will soon prevail.

Oh, and by the way, I got taken for $200 because the prices drop that much in just a short period of time since I purchased my original machine.

This outfit has a great deal to learn about catering to customers in America.
on July 31, 2017
My husband is a door to door salesman so these Segway come in handy. We ordered his first one back in May. We had no issues with it for a couple months until one day he turned it on and the hassards were on and it wouldn't run. After battling with Segway we finally were able to send it in and get fixed. Well hopefully. We mailed it back two weeks ago and still haven't received it back. In the mean time we ordered him another one to use and that way he could have two. When we received his second one the Segway would be fully charged and die completely within thirty minutes. So we mailed this one back and asked for a replacement. Today we received that replacement and it came with a faulty tire that won't hold air. So now this one is headed back. Extremely disappointed with the recent quality in these. It seems that within the recent months that they have just been made cheaper and cheaper.
on December 12, 2016
Sep 8, 2017: (I would give this a zero star rating if I could.) This is my second Segway purchase as my original Segway Ninebot I purchased last Nov has "'disappeared" (stolen). So I bought a replacement one in May. I have been riding the Ninebot with no issues twice per day since last November and consider myself a seasoned rider. I also consider myself fit and healthy with good macro balance and physical coordination.

This contraption has suddenly turned evil. It is now acting like a bucking wild bronco since Thu Sep 7, 2017. It has suddenly started taking violent right spins threw me onto the pavement causing severe bruising. So after my first battering I tended to my scrapes and bruises wondering what happened. Thu evening, I parked it and left it off over night to check it in the morning.

On the morning of Friday Sep 8, 2017, I did the normal tire pressure check--all good, checked for and obstructions under and around each wheel axel, turned it on and tested it in the house. It seemed all good.

I took it out as usual and rode very slowly and straight down the side walk watching for any odd movements and it seemed fine. Then the Segway suddenly accelerated into a violent right spin twisting out from under me and throwing me forward, around and onto my back. I had no time to react although I was watching it like a hawk.

That terrified me to the point it felt like someone hacked into the bot and was controlling it with the sudden movements.

Segway needs to address this safety issue. I will be writing a detailed letter to Segway this weekend.

-------Old review-------

Originally rated as a 5 star from Dec 2016 until Sep 7, 2017:

Easy to maneuve, rolls like a carry-on, takes hills like an escalator! I'm having a great time "walking" the dog now that I can keep up with his swift trotting pace without power-walking my hips, knees and feet into agony. :) Now I actually look forward to going out for a glide in the park... Haha! At 49... I feel like a kid again! Whoohoo! ... Will post a video soon.

April 18, 2017
Still rolling with the dog at least twice per day... I've since updated the firmware v3.7.1 and am very pleased at the better handling as the speed warning tilt was annoyingly much too steep to where I would lose access to the knee controller and nearly crashed once.

In any case I am at the point where riding is almost as easy and intuitive as walking. :)

One catch I should note is the tire valve adapter is threaded and the screw head is so small I find it really difficult to get on and off. I might suggest a slight design change of a taller threader connector. I have medium sized women's hands so I can only imagine the guys having a tougher time threading that valve adapter.

In any case, I've ridden and taken it onto the light rail train, in the mall (I ride carefully so I don't get banned by security... They just look at me as I roll by :) shopping is much more pleasant not having to walk with goods in hand. :)

I've also rolled it around downtown Mountain View and love the hands-free maneuverability.. :) And doubling it as a shopping concierge, it holds two shopping bags on either side. I just pull out the telescoping handle and power roll it around. :)

It makes for a conversation piece as well... Almost everyone wants to know what it is and how it works... I should get referral commission from Segway... Lol (hint-hint)
on August 6, 2016
This is a really fun unit and I hate to do this but I'm going to return it because Segway's customer service just told me that if you have a flat tire you will void the warranty if you replace the tire (not that they sell spares anyhow). Folks replacing the tire does NOT involve removing the wheel assembly and is something that will be required on ANY product with air-filled tired, whether it be a bicycle, car or anything else. Imagine buying a bike and being told that replacing the tire yourself voids the warranty and that you have to return the entire unit to get a new tire. The unit doesn't even come with good tires, but some unknown name with no Slime or anything else to protect it. Replacement tires are available abroad, and they apparently sell quite a few of them, but I'm not going to mess around with paying high delivery charges, duties, language barriers etc. I'll send this back and let Segway deal with it. If they ever learn to support this product maybe I'll reconsider.

This is a fun toy and is exactly as described, but I can't see this having any real use as a transportation device, for most people an electric bicycle would be a much better choice to go short distances to go to work or run errands. I've only used this for about 3 miles, so if I change my mind I'll update this. I weigh 170 and am 6'1" so I'm within the specs.

Pros: Easy to learn to control, I don't see any problem with the controls being reversed when you're going backwards, that's the way everything else is. Getting off is quite easy, the only thing that is a bit hard is getting on since mine at least goes back when you first put on foot on it (even though I'm careful not to touch the control bar). I'm hoping that I'll get used to getting on quickly.

I actually like the tutorial and appreciate the fact that it makes you use it a bit before unlocking the speed, I'm really not trying to kill myself. I've gotten it up to full speed (about 10.5 mph) and unlike many others I see why it's limited to this speed. If you were going uphill or downhill and you were going much faster the motors would not be able to compensate and you'd fall flat on your face. Even if there was a release that you had to click to allow you to overcome the speed limit it wouldn't keep Ninebot from being sued by the pedestrians you would hit.

It seems to be sturdy and well built, I guess time will tell.

Cons:

My unit came with the tires only inflated to about 26 psi. Hopefully everyone checks their tires and makes sure they're at 40-50 psi since underinflated tires will strain the motors.

Spare parts may be an issue. I can't imagine that the tires won't have to be replaced fairly often and sending it back each time isn't an option. Something like Slime would fix a small leak but Ninebot needs to get its act together and have spares and other parts listed on their web site.

This thing is HEAVY. I'm in pretty good shape and I can lift it with no problem, but there's no way you could lift this for any distance on stairs, entering and leaving subways, etc. and getting it up four or flights of steps in a New York walk up would kill you.

Ninebot's instructions could be better. For example, when you charge it and all the 5 bars are lite it is not fully charged, you have to wait until the lights start flashing and the LED on the charged turns green (or in my case an orange color). That's not really intuitive so they should have been more detailed.

Anyhow, for a toy it's fun and certainly different. Just hope it doesn't end up gathering dust. I've placed an order for a hand handlebar made specifically for the minipro being sold by a store in DC. When it comes in I'll give that a try and see if it makes this more useful (although by doing that it won't be able to stand on it's own when it's not being ridden anymore).
55 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2017
I was very excited to try this out. I wouldn't recommend this device or Segway devices to friends or family. The videos on youtube and reviews all look really interesting but I don't think these guys can handle selling on Amazon to a wide audience. Arrived defective. Couldn't set it up. Just kept beeping in an endless loop. No literature anywhere of what that means or what to do. Called customer care and they apparently know there are units shipping to Amazon with defective bluetooth boards. What? So I repackaged the unit and waste more time sending it back. I wouldn't buy a Segway if they ship defective devices. Told friends and family about it as it was supposed to be a gift. Not sure why they are shipping them to Amazon broken. What happened to QA? Maybe in hopes that Amazon will figure it out. Either way, avoid.
on January 1, 2017
Bought this for my 7 year old for Christmas who rode it for two days inside an apartment before lifting it up for the first time to move it to my car. I used the handle per the directions but the clip broke. Now the handle cannot stay on when the Segway is being lifted. Disappointing..will try to post a picture
on July 1, 2016
EDIT: I've gotten a number of comments regarding this review (mainly negative).

I really think this product should be clearly labeled:

"Online registration required to activate this device"

The negative comments are a little puzzling, because unless they come from segway employees, we're really on the same side.

The company registration:
- restricts your ability to use the device
- restricts your ability to sell your device
- will eventually disable it (when segway stops supporting it, and you don't have your original phone). Think 10 years from now when you come back to visit your parents home.
- rudely invades your privacy (they require your email address, and probably phone number, and whatever other information you provide).

On the other hand, the safety and security "reasons" for the restrictions are all fluff.

There is no reason for registration to run through the training scenario.

There is also no reason to make theft protection an opt-in choice left up to the purchaser.

You are given no choice in any of these matters. In the end, the only choice you're given is to send back the device.

Sending it back was a hard choice for me - it would have been fun on an upcoming family vacation - but I think it was the right thing to do.

--- original review ---

You cannot use the segway until you download an app on your phone.

However, you launch the app and you get: a login screen.

You can't use the app until you register with the company.

So you can't use this scooter until they give you permission.

I *bought* this, but what did I buy? What's with these companies? They don't want to let go, and think they can add any restrictions they want for as long as they want?

Sorry, I'm going to return it. The segway description doesn't mention the restrictions, and I don't go for that kind of stuff, I avoid it.
3939 comments| 349 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2017
Received the product in good shape. Attempted to charge it but the Segway wouldn't indicate it was receiving a charge. I checked the charger with a multimeter and got an irregular reading so I opened up the transformer on the charging unit to attempt to diagnose. What I found was surprising. Someone in the manufacturing process got a little aggressive with the circuit board adhesive and squirted it all over the electrical components of the board. Appeared to be vindictive. Needless to say, I don't have any expectation I'll ever get a charge out of this unit. I've reached out to Segway but they do not provide customer support on weekends so I will attempt again soon. Pictures of the charger included.
review image review image review image review image