Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 447 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 757 reviews
on July 14, 2016
July 14, 2016: original review: 5 stars

Got mine today and it is fabulous! It is very well-made and has plenty of power/torque. I am almost 63, have knee arthritis and can no longer run but I have no problem riding this thing. It is highly maneuverable and after just a short while, moving & turning almost becomes second-nature. It goes where you will it to go, as if the MiniPro is an extension of your body. Just amazing! It will definitely increase my range of motion. Looking forward to take it to our neighborhood park for a spin and enjoy the breeze on my face again.

July 15, 2016 -- Revising my review to 3 stars after riding over 6 miles today:

Reducing my rating from 5 stars to 3 stars. My single complaint: the artificial speed limit of 10 mph. I suppose Ninebot/Segway doesn't want lawsuits, so they artificially set the speed limit to 10 mph, which I can understand; however, the problem arises when the unit senses a speed faster than 10 mph, then it SUDDENLY SLAMS THE BRAKE ON YOU, abruptly slowing you down to 4 mph or so. This sudden decrease of speed just as you are accelerating to your desired cruising speed can actually throw you off balance, requiring you to immediately adjust your stance or risk falling over. I believe this "safety" feature is counter-productive. It ADDS to the risks of falls rather than reduces them. Believe me, 10 mph is easily reached on flat, even ground. After which you are constantly pestered by this very annoying on-again, off-again acceleration and deceleration, even on wide-open flat terrain, making you look like a teenybopper getting behind the wheel of a car for the first time. My suggestion is a speed limit of 15 mph and if the rider does reach this speed, the unit will just allow him to go no faster rather than to try to reduce the speed on its own. I am nearly 63 and I am no whippersnapper or speed demon but I am a skier. As skier, I am used to cruising fairly fast on open terrain in absolute confidence. As stable as the MiniPro is, there is no reason why this should not be done. This 'speed punishment" thing is very frustrating. Yes, I know, this is not skiing, but is 15 mph too much to ask?

I rode for more than 6 miles today and the machine only used 2 out of 5 bars of juice. Cool!

UPDATE: July 16, 2016, Revised to 2 stars (so my review will be read by people, perhaps the company too. Still like the machine, by the way)

Rode for 2 more miles this morning, with my morning coffee in one hand. Here are my final thoughts: This machine has the potential to be great; however, it is SERIOUSLY HOBBLED by suit-fearing company lawyers with its latest firmware. As of now, it is like driving your car with your drivers-ed teacher at your side, constantly stepping on your brakes to slow you down. Even if you keep it below 10 mph, the machines seems to be working against you by tending to lean backward to slow you down. As result, the control level becomes posteriorly positioned in relationship to your legs. With you trying to lean forward to keep moving, the control lever becomes so posteriorly placed, its forward portion is barely touching the back parts of your lower thighs. This makes it more difficult to control your direction.

I may try to improvise a control lever extension to remedy this problem. I have made a slightly exaggerated cartoon to illustrate my point. I still like the machine, though, but it can be so much greater.

P.S., I still give the machine 4 stars despite my criticisms above because it is still a very unique machine and I still like it. When you love something more, you tend to chide it more, and hoping it can be great someday.
review image
5150+ comments| 1,655 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2016
Early review from an early adopter... I'll update this later. This is a fantastic product, and such an improvement over the original Segway I purchased from Amazon back in 2003! I rode my first Segway to work for about 3 years, then sold it for what I paid for it to a 52 year old woman in Australia who had polio as a child and had never been able to leave her house on her own - not on foot, bike, car, bus, etc. - until she got her Segway and suddenly she was mobile for the first time in her life. Then I bought two more and rode those for about 3 years.

Unlike a hoverboard, these are EPAMDs - electronic personal assistive mobility devices - and in many states are legal to use anywhere a wheelchair is allowed, which is about anywhere. Here in Arizona, I was one of the people who helped get this law passed, and helped local malls, airports, zoos, parks, office buildings, grocery stores, etc., etc. understand the usefulness and legality of these devices. Again, these are legal anywhere a wheelchair is allowed in many states... including Arizona.

For people with mobility disabilities, this is an amazing alternative to a wheelchair... you're not at crotch level, you're not looked down to, people don't give you 'fake-nice' greetings or compassion conversations, etc. Unlike a wheelchair it can go through sand, gravel, grass, mud, really steep inclines/declines (while even keeping you level!), and even shorter steps and curbs pretty easily. And understand, there are a lot of people who refuse to use wheelchairs due to the social stigma, the hassle, the humiliation, the self-defeat... not just people who are paralyzed, but people with foot/knee/leg/hip injuries who just grin-and-bear pain.

Regardless if you're mobility-disabled or able-bodied, this is a great, great, great tool... not a toy, it's truly an alternative to transportation for many people. This is the Segway that was meant to be. Please, for the sake of those with mobility challenges, don't rag on this product... it has a lot of real world applications. It is not another hoverboard. This is entirely different, and it has the possibility to change the world for the better - we need to stop being addicted to knee-jerk negative reactions to new things and learn about them, think about them, understand them and embrace them. Please, for the sake of our fellow mobility disabled brothers and sisters, understand that this is a product that can change lives.
5150+ comments| 770 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2016
Like Benjamin here I am a Segway owner since 2003, and this here is now #4 for me. This is truly Sayway quality build right in to this unit. Unlike so many of the copy cats, this is a solid work of art. I a torn between my 2006 Segway and this new Mini Pro Segway because they are both build like a tank. I am sure that this unit will last just as long as my orginal Segway back from 2003, it just feels like it been well engineered. My first hours with it was a late evening after a long hard day, and really I wanted to go to bed, but with a newly release Segway sitting in front of me, I could not waste any time checking it out. So at 11:45 pm at night I took this for a good night time ride right in to the wooded trails and put 5 miles on it in the dark wooded trails and. It was awesome, built in headlights, build in break lights, even turn signals. It is under 30 lbs and easy to pick up and load in my truck and even a quick an easy way to remove the steering arm. It feels just like my first Segway which was awesome. This Segway they put some thought in to the little extras to make this better then ever, it is just awesome!

As you can imagine I had a number of people ask me about this and if they can try it, and for most it was surprising to see in just 30 seconds, people are adapting to this like they are riding a bike, and it becomes second nature to them in just minutes and for some it is seconds.

The price of this Segway is much more realistic compared to the big Segway and it does not weight in at 85 lbs, it is under 30 lbs and really easy to pack up and take with you anywhere. And you can bet this unit will be with me for most of my travels because of the weight which was an issue with my 2006 Segway because of 85+ lbs and size.

My only draw back with this and my other Segways, is that standing without really moving your feet can wear you out if you are on it for miles. You got to get off and walk a little to get the feeling back in to your feet, and then you are good to go again. You need to good feeling shoes on that you know you could stand in place with them for a long time, because that is just about what you are doing here on the Segway/NineBot!

If you are a camera buff, taking moving videos on this is awesome because you can keep the camera steady and you are not moving a walking pace, but much faster!

This NineBot/Sayway is going to make history I am sure simply because it is affordable, well built, safe and very enjoyable to ride. It will not be long before we see clones of this one, but they will not have the long solid history of a Segway, and I bet it will not last as log as this Segway. My investment on my 2003 Segways have been well worth it, and that is what drive me to buy another Segway item! My 2003 Segways are still going strong!
on July 14, 2016
After few minutes of practice, I can quickly ride it around the neighborhood, going over the bumps, driveways,... I work 3 miles from home so I rode it to work today. It takes me 10 minutes to drive, 15 ride the bike, and 20-25 minutes with the Segway. This thing goes uphill effortless. Going down hill is very easy as well. It's amazing. I was able to get 7 miles and still have 52% battery left.
I like the way the white one work but if I have to choose again, I'd get the black version as the white one get dirty very quick.

3rd days of ownership: Still love it! It had a creaking noise coming from the join. I sent the message to the Segway Distribution - North America. Within minutes, a rep (A+ for Shawn) called me on his cellphone at 7:00 PM and we were able to fix the noise issue minutes later. Great customer service!!!!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2016
I honestly didn't think I would keep it. I figured I wouldn't find a good use for it, and I would end up returning it. However, the experience has been quite pleasant that I decided to keep it. The setup experience was quite simple: connect knee control bar to base, download app, and that's it! I've never been on a hover-board or a Segway before, so I was worried about the learning curve. It really just took me less than 30mins to feel comfortable on it.

It did take some calmness and confidence, but the end result was great (YMMV). I am a very discerning customer when it comes to electronics, but the quality of materials is top notch, and I was impressed as soon as I took it out of the box. I have been riding it around the local park, and around the neighborhood of my office location when I need to move between buildings for meetings. I took into my office building, and I think everyone that tried it out wants one now.

I highly recommend it if you've been curious about electric scooters or hover-boards.
review image
on May 17, 2017
I'm above the "age limit" at 65 but may have better than average balance for my years due to almost continuous inline skating for decades but I'll give my impressions, for what they're worth. I think most people can get reasonably comfortable for simple operation in 15 minutes to an hour on flat, smooth surfaces. Mount with an assistant the first time and don't let the initial unsteadiness deter you - - it will pass as your brain adapts. I decided to give a full month before considering getting aftermarket handles if things didn't work out, and I'm glad I waited. After 2 weeks it started to feel natural on most surfaces and inclines. After a month it began to be second nature. Now, after almost 3 months and probably close to 300 miles (haven't connected to Bluetooth for a while) and almost daily use (thanks to a kind California climate) my body adjusts instinctively to minor bumps and mild lateral inclines so I can concentrate on the journey and not the technique. It's become relaxing and addictive. If you're looking for high speed thrills go with something else. If you like the sensation of a vehicle that's very responsive and becomes an extension of your body that is remarkably maneuverable, this is your baby, And you can always add the handles later if you need to.
P. S. Don't forget to exercise 'cause you're not going to get aerobic training out of this, although it will help strengthen your core and some of the leg muscles associated with stability.
on July 29, 2016
Update: August 18, 2016

Segway,

Pay attention; we contribute real commute value for your benefit. And what benefits you hopefully will eventually benefit the Segway riding community.

Okay, I’m on my second Segway MinPro and still loving the machine. I don’t have any problems to spit out in this update, except a flat tire my first Segway MinPro experienced. But this is not about that issue. It is about real commuter concerns with your speed algorithms. I’ve discussed details of this in my initial review, and many other reviewers have touched on the subject. In this update, I want to share how the speed-tilt has become a little dangerous while commuting her in San Francisco. It’s clear Ninebot/Segway has no plans to change the speed-tilt algorithms, and I’m okay with that. What we need you to know is when that limitation becomes a problem during a commute that involves regular vehicles.

The California Vehicle Laws opened the gateways in January 2016. Allowing Electrically Self-balancing and Motorized Boards to not only operate on sidewalks but also make use of bike lanes on roadways with speeds no greater than 35 miles per hour, limiting speed on roads and sidewalks not to exceed 15 mph. To learn the details of these laws, read California Vehicle Codes 313 and 313.5. We note the speed limit in Vehicle Code 313 is 12.5 and not 15 miles per hour like in 313.5 for Electrically Motorized Boards.

Now that the California Vehicle Law permits the use of bike lanes, It is necessary at times to transition from the busy sidewalks of San Francisco into these lanes. As you know, San Francisco is a hilly bumpy place that can have a dynamic impact on the speed-tilt algorithms. Creating a flux of beeping sounds and tilting backward. In traffic, in a bike lane, this tilting back is becoming a real concern to the impact of oncoming traffic. Or creating an uncertain since of security with approaching regular vehicle traffic. The safety strategy here is to transition the Segway MiniPro to the right side of the bike lane away from approaching traffic. At times this change takes passing a few parked cars before completing the transition. It is at this time we usually experience the tilting while on coming regular traffic is barreling down on our position; not a secure feeling when you cannot control the acceleration of your vehicle. So this is it, the real life scenario that you need to consider. If you are committed to having the Segway MiniPro as an alternative vehicle to commuting in cities like San Francisco, we suggest you put together a team and place him and her into the thick of it, morning and evening rush hour commuting. To obtain real life experiences that can help improve the speed-tilt applications during the commute flux.

Update: August 4, 2016

Arrived July 25, I use this product Monday through Friday to travel to and from client sites. The initial complaint of speed and tilting back is no more. Why? The longer I’ve used the product I’ve begun to understand the logic behind the beeps and tilts. However, does not mean I completely like how the logic is applied. As a recreational vehicle, I can understand the annoyance beeps and pullbacks can cause. As a professional transporter rolling through sidewalk traffic up and down the streets of San Francisco, I no longer find it to be a problem. I've reached a point of control rarely if at all experience beeps and pullbacks. To conclude, I'm taking advantage of the vehicles capabilities without injury to self and others.

Original Post: July 29, 2016

Okay Segway,

I’m excited about my new miniPRO, so pay attention as I describe my experience here in San Francisco to your benefit. I received my miniPRO on Monday 25 July at 11:09 AM. Monday afternoon I began using the miniPRO by navigating through my little tight cornering San Francisco apartment, a formidable challenge indeed. I like how you have set up the New Rider Tutorial limiting the max speed to 4.3 mph (7 km/h) until you have completed the new rider tutorial, great job here. I must admit, during the new rider tutorial I was initially a little uncomfortable until I found the ease of maneuverability through tight spaces.

Tuesday 26 July, was the first day outside in the courtyard away from the busy sidewalks of San Francisco. I’ve now advanced to the next restricted level of 0.6 miles (1 km). After becoming comfortable with open spaces outdoors. I began a practice tour around less busy San Francisco sidewalks through Pacific Heights. It is evident the miniPRO is not native to the sidewalks of San Francisco. It is challenging to maneuver these sidewalks. Not only because it is rare to find slopes meeting the limitations of 15º. But having to maneuver around raised concrete pavement raised from possible earthquakes that have past or tree roots pushing the slabs upwards. And not to mention sudden open cracks that can send you flying in one direction; yes this is the challenge of San Francisco sidewalks. By the time I was done with my practice tour my BOT or miniPRO released me from the 0.6 miles (1 km) restriction; now operating at the PRO level.

Wednesday 27 July, the first day to use my BOT for the purpose of work. You see I am a 55-year-old Applied Functional Scientist with a Personal Training practice here in San Francisco; the significance of mentioning this will be clearer as you read on. Before my BOT I used cabs to transport me to my clients. Creating a monthly bill upwards of one thousand dollars a month. Now that I have the BOT my taxicab funds can be redirected. My primary reason for not returning the miniPRO. You may ask, why would I even consider such a thing. Jump to the next paragraph and learn about my experiences here in San Francisco.

By Friday mid-morning I was operating my BOT like a professional rider. After Wednesday and Thursday traveling through the busy sidewalks of Union Square and the Financial District, and the steep slopes of knob hill. I had become very efficient at maneuvering through crowds of tourist and residents. So much so that I developed a functional means of suddenly stopping the miniPRO without falling off; here is the Applied Functional Science contribution. People unknowingly will challenge your position on the miniPRO, and you have to be ready for the sudden unexpected left or right pedestrian movements. Otherwise, you will have a yard sale filled with pissed off people, and possible injury to them and yourself; speed is not the issue here. After all, I’ve been passed by individuals maneuvering wheelchairs and skateboards.

Creating a sudden stop without falling off your MiniPRO. While positioned on your miniPRO with hands at your side with elbows extended. Flex both shoulders, while raising your arms forward and overhead to their end points with an open hand and thumbs, pointed upward while standing straight up. It is this technique applied at a moments notice that has helped me come to a sudden stop without having a yard-sale; let’s call this chain-reaction “The Stick-Up.” Try this technique out while rolling on your miniPRO, and you will see how it adds another level of safe maneuvering to your tool chest.

Okay, it’s Friday morning after a client session I’ve decided to tour the city via the Embarcadero through Fisherman’s Wharf and back to Pacific Heights. Here is when I realized the miniPRO is not PRO at all. It needs to have a new name representative to an intermediate level of experience, like miniGREEN or miniJOURNEY. The PRO needs to reflect someone at the professional level, or that has passed a series of test that graduates him or her to this level. As such, he or she will not have speed limited by a speed of 10.9 mph (16 km/h).

While touring Friday morning, my BOT was beeping and pulling back slowing me down to an uncomfortable and unsafe feeling as I easily and comfortably reached speeds of 10.9 mph (16 km/h). I witnessed runners, cyclist and skateboarders pass me by while having to deal with this repeating limitation. As I write this review journal, I’m extremely comfortable with operating my miniPRO with a disabled speed limiter. Now the question, is the applied speed limiter removed? The answer is no; your miniPRO continues to control your limits to the point of almost kicking you off while in transit. It is my suggestion Ninebot-Segway release a true professional miniPRO that at lease allows the rider to travel at speeds greater than 10.9 mph (16 km/h). For the experienced miniPRO operator, this limited speed takes away from the enjoyable experiences the miniPRO offers a rider. This reason alone prompts me to return my miniPRO, but because it is saving me from having to invest upwards of one thousand a month in taxi fees, I will keep it in hopes the company takes to heart the passion of our need for more speed. Thank you. I hope this has helped all that have taken the time to read this long journaled review of my miniPRO, as I call it my BOT (Banging Out Transit). Segway miniPRO | Smart Self Balancing Personal Transporter with Mobile App Control (White)
55 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2016
Love my units.., I have 2. Other than the fact the speed limiter is very unsafe and stupid (I really should rate 4 stars instead of 5) It's very dangerous when it tilts you back too far almost to the point of going full speed to slamming it in reverse. it's almost thrown me off. I now have 90 miles under my belt and it still gets me. I consider myself an expert on the miniPRO now.. I'm very good.. I can thread a needle with it. I've ridden it for miles around obstacles, tight maneuvers, inside stores, pushing grocery carts (this is very easy and more fun when doing it). Some stores bitch, but I have a knee brace on because of knee issues, so I pass as an ADA device. It's the greatest tool for someone that has trouble walking to get around. Just love it.
on August 4, 2016
Great product, easy to use.
I bought it for my 14 years old son who has JA (juvenile arthritis) and I want this as an alternative to wheelchair in our summer trip but the BAD NEWS is that the airline (Aeromexico) did not allowed us to carry on the plane.
on July 2, 2016
 BACKGROUND
I've owned a Segway i2 since 2008, but haven't ridden it in the last 2 years or so (dead battery). Instead of investing in a new battery, I opted for this MiniPro.

GLIDING INDOORS
So far I've used it indoors most. It took me a little while to get comfortable stepping on the platform without grabbing onto something.

In the freight area of my building, there are long hallways and small slopes. Gliding down the slopes is equivalent to the i2 in that you feel upright and comfortable (not like you're leaning into a face plant). However, gliding up took more effort.

GLIDING OUTDOORS
Next, I took it outdoors in NYC. The sidewalk was perfectly paved and uncrowded. A moderate wind started pushing me slightly toward an oncoming pedestrian. I was able to push away but the brief experience made me nervous. I went back indoors to practice more.

PORTABILITY
It's heavy to pick up. I don't see myself carrying this anywhere up/down stairs -- only rolling on ramps.

THE REMOTE
I'm not a gamer, so maybe that's why it's a challenge for me. I was crashing it into everything :)

SEGWAY PT i2 COMPARISON
The MiniPro isn't supposed to be equivalent to the i2, I'm sure, but there are awesome similarities. Being able to turn in place and the feeling of just gliding around is really nice and fun. Outdoors so far, I still feel more comfortable with my lean steer, but that may change with time.

REGULATION
I believe that the smaller MP is pedestrian-friendly, so I am optimistic about local use regulations *fingers crossed*

CONCLUSION
I'm happy with the MiniPro. It has exceeded my expectations. I don't see it as a replacement for my big Segway, but it's a keeper.

I'll revise my review over time after I've ridden outdoors longer.
review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 257 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse