YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Valentine's Day gifts in Beauty Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning Gleason Gleason Gleason  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now NYNN

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
on September 9, 2016
This book was recommended to me by a friend of mine. This is not really a genre that I normally read. I was worried that I would be bored. Luckily I was not. I really enjoyed the book! The author did a nice job of keeping the story moving along and kept me interested. I wanted to find out what was going to happen. Characters are well written and the story moves along at a good pace. A few twists here and there and some nice imagery. If anyone is dealing with some of the issues in this book, I hope that it helps them see there is light at the end of the tunnel. Sure hope there is a sequel.
on September 11, 2016
This book was defiantly worth reading. The author touches on so many emotions of the two young lovers. There is love, loss and even betrayal. You can see the characters in your mind as you are captured by the "Truth" of the story. You want to just reach out and scream at times for not doing what you thought was next. There are so many twists and turns, it was hard to leave the book for my own reality. I just wanted to finish all at once. If you have ever lived with love, losses and betrayals you will really feel like you understand the emotions of the young characters. And then there is Mama, the total mother daughter relationship disaster makes it a totally entirely different scenario for the young lovers. The mental illness aspect of this book will reach out to many, many readers as the plot unfolds. Trying to decide who is or who isn't dealing with the mental illness will keep you on the edge of your seat. It brings new light to our world of mental illness and how families don't deal with it.

I cant wait for the next book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on November 24, 2016
Young adult isn't my usual read, however, it dealt with real issues that, unfortunately, some have to face on a daily basis. Some parts triggered memories and emotions from my past and I felt for Lacey. Her mom, "mama, " is a difficult person who is the Queen of manipulation. And the things she says and does to Lacey... It's horrible. Lacey gets the brunt of her abuse. At first, it's difficult for her to stand up for herself and I'd get so frustrated. But Walker comes into her life and is like a soothing balm. I absolutely loved him and his family, then... You'll have to read to find out :) But the story is really heartfelt. And you will see Lacey's journey into being a strong young woman. I'm very curious about where she'll end up and how certain relationships will pan out. I could say more, but I don't want to ruin anything. Great read. I definitely recommend it.
on September 9, 2016
I'm in love!! I could NOT put this down and I read the entire book in half a day! Lacey and Walker are so authentic and easy to relate to. I could see the entire book unfolding, like a movie, in my head. The plot was easy to follow, but not predictable. The descriptions were clear and not long winded. This book, this Author, made me cry, laugh, get angry and get happy. All the emotions you expect and want in a moving, wonderful love story. Great job!
on September 9, 2016
The Truth She Knew is such an engaging story. You will root for Lacey to overcome and find herself. Young love can be so exciting and crushing at the same time. Mental illness can be a sensitive and hard subject to approach. J.A. Owenby has created a believable story of love, disappointment, despair and triumph. You will care about the characters and want them to be okay. I am waiting with anticipation to see how Lacey will grow and mature.
on October 13, 2016
Best book I have read in a long time! The storyline is very unique and keeps the reader wondering what will happen next. I don’t know many authors who have the guts to write about mental illness this way and provide such a level of detail regarding the emotional roller coaster loved ones go through. My favorite aspect of J.A. Owenby’s writing is that she has an incredible way of linking the reader and Lacey together, not just through one’s mind but in one’s hearts and soul. As I read, I was able to feel what Lacey felt – hope, love, loss, confusion, hate. I can’t wait for book 2 to come out so I can continue my journey with her and see where life takes her. I highly recommend this book, even if it doesn’t appear to be something you would normally be interested in. Its uniqueness is refreshing.
on September 9, 2016
I read J.A. Owenby's short stories last year, and they left a memorable impression upon me. Learning she was writing this book, The Truth She Knew, I was very excited to read! I was blown away with the author's style of writing and found myself highlighting several passages as I read. I was intrigued to learn more about Lacey and mother from the very beginning, and I kept turning the pages until I almost finished in one sitting to see how the story unfolded. A truly powerful book dealing with sensitive issues in a sensitive and thought-provoking manner.

This really is an extraordinary story and a must read for 2016. I eagerly look forward to reading the next book by this author. I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.
on September 14, 2016
J.A. Owenby writes from a place not many authors can. Her characters are multi-dimensional and transparent in all of their actions which held my interest and made it difficult to put the book down. I was on edge waiting to see what happened next! The story is sensitive and showcases a young girl finding herself. While learning who she is and finding her independence, she also learns that her family dynamic as she has always known it in was a twisted manipulation. Her struggles to overcome the abuse are heart breaking and we see the dark side of mental illness and the impact it has on those around us. A beautiful story of innocence and coming of age, I highly recommend this this book and am looking forward to the next in the series!
on September 30, 2016
****Some Spoilers****

It is very rare where I actually stop and think once a book is finished. This book made me stop and think. I loved Lacey and her struggle. I liked Walker as well but I was very angry at him in the end. I understand that was the story the author wanted to take and I am fine with that but how can you love someone a lot and not even allow them a chance to explain?

I loved how the story moved and am eagerly awating the next book, that would be a long wait I imagine.

Lastly, I belive I am the only one here who thinks Lacey should not be with Walker, I just cannot see them together again unless there is major groveling but even then it would be a hard sell.
on October 7, 2016
I just finished The Truth She Knew. It's the story of Lacey and her mother who has a mental illness. She abusive towards Lacey. Mama tells Lacey she is filled with demons and Lacey believes, because this has become her truth. Everything changes when she meets Walker. J.A. Owen by tells the story of Lacey in a way that makes you feel like you a right there with her. I cried through the book. I could not believe some of the things mama done or said to Lacey. And the sister was just as bad. Like other reviewers have said I almost threw my kindle against the wall at the end when Walker done what he did.

I can't wait to read book two in the series.