Top positive review
This is the charging USB-C dock you've been waiting for!
October 17, 2018
Our business has been switching to USB-C laptops for 2-3 years now; and, although the promise is there for a great docking experience, there just weren't any good docks on the market.
Anyone who has struggled to get one of the Dell docks working knows what I'm talking about.
This USB-C charging dock from Sabrent appears to change that - mostly because it just works.
Here are the things I like about mine:
- As I already mentioned, it just works. With Windows 10, I plugged it in, the OS detected drivers, and I haven't had to do anything else. The function has been truly flawless.
- I'm running it with a Dell Precision laptop and a single 43" 4K monitor with no issues.
- It has all the required ports; although, there are a couple more I would ask for if I were designing it myself. (More on this below.)
- There are currently 3 models on this product page, so the reviews are confusing about whether it supports charging. The Triple Display USB-C dock DOES support charging an attached device.
- Performance is very good.
This dock definitely deserves 5 stars when compared to other products on the market, but there are still a couple of things to keep in mind:
- This model does support charging, but only at 60W. I haven't run into any issues as a software developer using a Dell Precision laptop - but Windows shows a little yellow icon on the power display indicating that the charger is under-powered. You may require a secondary power adapter if you're doing something that causes a consistently higher power draw (in my case, the charge will drop a bit if I'm doing a lot of compiling - but goes back up quickly).
- If I had the opportunity to layout my own ports on this dock, I would switch one of the DisplayPort connectors for a mini-DisplayPort instead. In addition, I would put more USB ports on the front of the dock, even if I had to sacrifice a couple on the back.
We have 2 of these in the office now, and they're both working flawlessly; so we're going to start switching everybody over to them.
If you're looking for a charging USB-C dock, then this is the best one I've used - and we've tried at least half a dozen different models.