Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Skinny Bitch forum

question for vegetarians

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2010, 10:40:10 AM PST
Do you eat eggs, drink milk, or eat cheese products at all? or are you strict in your diet and only eat/drink soy, rice, almond milk products?
Can anyone help me with good products to try? I've only had Silk soy milk, MorningStar Farms products and Boca burgers.
Any good recipes or websites to check out? I'm new to this and I want to stick to a vegetarian diet, but I don't know where to look. (except on PETA).

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2010, 1:30:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2010, 1:34:39 AM PST
Why are you so eager to eat all that processed stuff? Try fruits, lots of fruits! Vegetables of all sorts. Make up some rice and stir fry it with tomatoes and carrots and cabbage and artichoke hearts and mushrooms and garlic and whatever else sounds tasty, with a little salt and pepper and olive oil, or just a few of those, or none of those, or whatever you like. Get yourself some pita bread or flat bread or tortillas or tortilla chips and make/buy hummus, or eggplant dip, or spinach/artichoke/silken tofu dip. The other night I made taco filling with chopped tomatoes, sauteed onions, a bit of tofu, and a lot of yummy spices, and my omnivore girlfriend loved it. If you want some good info on veggie foods, try vegweb.com or vegcooking.com (I prefer vegweb myself). I love cooking chickpeas with veggie curry spice concentrate, and a bit of potatoes, carrots and peas, and serving the whole over hot brown rice. Don't lock yourself into thinking that something has to have a label on it that says "Vegetarian" for it to be so... cooking isn't hard. It's pretty rewarding in addition to being easy, and your friends and coworkers will be jealous of your yummy lunches!
Oh, and in answer to your question about dairy consumption-- no, no milk or cheese or any animal products or derivatives for me. My money won't support killing/suffering, simple as that. It's soy or almond milk for when I feel like cold cereal, or a icy fruit smoothie.

Posted on Apr 4, 2010, 9:21:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2010, 9:22:07 PM PDT
Hana D says:
Hello =)
I am vegan , and have been for about a year. I will be honest with you, it was very hard at first. I have always loved meat! And i can't live off of just fruits and veggies. So, in addition to all the wonderful things you can make with non processed foods, (such as the person above has written about), i would suggest checking out the fake meat section at your grocery store. I love almost all of lifelight foods. especially their hotdogs! Give them a try =) you can get them at most savemarts, along with soy cheese. It makes going vegan soooooo much easier!

Posted on May 31, 2011, 3:31:44 PM PDT
Lillian T. says:
I've been a vegetarian for 10 years, and vegan for two. The processed veggie meats are okay to get you started or to get you through, but you will feel better if you make some things on your own. I recommend any of the Farm Sanctuary cookbooks, which you can buy right here on Amazon - they tell you how to make your own homemade seitan, vegan cheeses, vegan milks, etc. And look at VegWeb for some great vegan recipes - including vegan ribs, chicken, and burgers. You can make your own burgers with beans, rice, and/or nuts - you'll know exactly what is going in them, and you can feel really good about eating them and serving them, knowing that they were made fresh by you so they aren't processed!

Like Hana, I also always loved meat - I'm not vegan because I dislike meat. I loved the way it tasted and the way it smelled. So I understand how important it is to have a few things that taste "meaty." I know your question is six months old, but hopefully you'll read this and it will help you!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Skinny Bitch forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2010
Latest post:  May 31, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Skinny Bitch
Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman (Paperback - December 27, 2005)
3.8 out of 5 stars (1,873)