Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012, 4:16:25 PM PST
Dom says:
I guess there are two versions of the extended editions being offered on Amazon. This one and the 2011 version The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / The Return of the King Extended Editions) [Blu-ray]

Are there any real differences other than a new printing. The 2012 version is about $23 more.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012, 11:59:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012, 12:02:36 PM PST
Dane says:
I've been trying to find out about the same thing.

The 2011 release (ASIN B0026L7H20) seems to be the one that only has Spanish, English, Portuguese subtitles, whereas the 2012 release (ASIN B007ZQAKHU) has many more languages.

What's really puzzling is that according to Amazon's description, the 2011 release has aspect ratio 2.35:1 (Cinemascope, black bars above and below) whereas the 2012 release is stated as 1.77:1 (16:9, no black bars, ie they cropped the sides.) I really want to find out if that is true before ordering.

Stupidly, Amazon has lumped all reviews for both products together, so there is no knowing which product reviewers bought. Indeed, some clearly bought a package expecting Spanish or Portuguese subtitles, but received one with only French and English subtitles.

What a mess...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012, 12:15:02 PM PST
Dom says:
I hate it when Amazon lumps reviews for similar products! It makes it impossible to take reviews for truth when they could be referring to a completely different product. I think I might just pick up the 2011 version, but I am going to wait and see if the price drops like it did last year around this time.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012, 7:32:49 AM PST
TMM says:
I don't think this one has the digital copies. However, the digital copies on the 2011 version had to be redeemed by June 2012.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012, 8:31:50 AM PST
Ben Pollak says:
I've also been curious, not sure if this helps but blu-ray.com has them both at 2.41:1.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Motion-Picture-Trilogy-Blu-ray/59886/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Motion-Picture-Trilogy-Blu-ray/12237/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 10:42:16 AM PST
J. Nichols says:
They have extended the expiration dates of digital copies to 2017, the expired codes will still work.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/20/3255980/warner-bros-extends-digital-copy-expiration-2017

Posted on Nov 15, 2012, 2:56:58 PM PST
Mr. Orange says:
The digital copies ARE NOT in this set. These are in fact, TWO DIFFERENT sets. The digital copies were in the first wave of Extended Editions. The new wave does not include it. As far was ratio and movie aspects, I'm not sure.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012, 4:22:19 PM PST
Dane says:
Thanks, all, for the info. Amazon actually refers to the 2011 release as "Widescreen" edition. Anyways, the 2012 release just dropped today from $120 to $43, and I couldn't pass on that. I'll be be curious when it arrives if it really is a 16:9 version or what.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012, 4:41:44 PM PST
I'm also curious to know the difference between the two versions. I ordered it and luckily I was looking around and saw the other almost identical version that is $30 more expensive but looks to identify itself as the widescreen version, as opposed to the other one which is the "15-disc" version. I believe they both have 15 discs. So confusing. Is there anyway to clarify with Amazon directly?

Posted on Nov 15, 2012, 7:57:12 PM PST
Michele P. says:
I found what looks like the same set on Walmart.com but gives a release date of 11/06/2012 plus Hobbit movie money. I assume the Hobbit (movie ticket) is the only addition but price is $99.88. So since Amazon has this for $43 today only, it's still the best deal even if there is no Hobbit movie money included. I just find Amazon.com confusing as it states various versions. But I'm sticking to this as it's a great deal!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012, 1:55:20 PM PST
Just got my package today from the daily deal yesterday. Says 2.4:1, English Audio, English SDH & Espanol

Posted on Nov 16, 2012, 3:02:01 PM PST
Dane says:
Thanks for the update Peter. That was fast delivery!

If it only has English and Spanish subtitles, that would hint at the 2011 release (although it's supposed to have Portuguese as well, according to Amazon's description). Is the ASIN listed anywhere on the box or package slip?

Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012, 3:09:29 PM PST
Peter,

Does "The Fellowship of the Ring" still have the green cast that the earlier EE Blu-ray had? Thanks.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012, 2:06:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012, 2:10:36 PM PST
D. M. Weiss says:
Peter, can you add any more info to your report, I have mine on the way but am also very curious. Amazon support was less than helpful - CSR told me the two versions had different actors (not kidding) and I politely said, 'no they don't.' There seems to be no consensus yet on Aspect ratio - can you re-confirm, clarify? Also, is it my imagination or has Amazon now refreshed the 2012 release details; new version "Subtitles: Croatian, Czech, English, French, German, Hungarian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish." Old version Subtitles: Spanish, English, Portuguese

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 2:54:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012, 2:57:59 PM PST
Dane says:
@Weiss: The 2012 release has had that longer list of subtitles during all the time I watched these (last few weeks). The 2011 release only has Spanish, English, Portuguese. At least that's according to Amazon.

Signs that one received the 2011 edition would thus be: Comes with Digital Copy; only Spanish, English, Portuguese subtitles; 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Signs that one received the 2012 release would be: Does NOT come with Digital Copy; many more subtitle languages; aspect ratio MAY be 1.77:1 (but I am guessing it is probably 2.35:1 after all).

It would be great if people who received their package can report its ASIN and/or ISBN AND its aspect ratio.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 3:20:00 PM PST
D. M. Weiss says:
@Dane, thanks for the reply. I agree - I think Amazon listed 2012 B007ZQAKHU release with a typo, and it will be 2:35:1 after all the sturm and drang. I can't see how/why they'd move away from theatrical aspect ratio.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012, 11:37:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012, 11:57:27 AM PST
I received mine yesterday. I ordered it via the one-day deal that Amazon had last Thursday, which presumably was the 2012 version. However, all copyright dates on the box set are 2011. There are no digital copies, the aspect ratio is 2.4:1, and the only subtitle languages are English, Spanish, and Portuguese (disc cases only say English and Spanish, but there is also Portuguese). So either I was sent the wrong edition, or Amazon just made a bunch of typos. The ASIN number on my receipt is B007ZQAKHU (2012 version), so I'm going to assume Amazon just messed up the descriptions. From what I can tell, the only difference between the 2011 and 2012 versions seems to be the removal of the digital copies in the newer version. As far as the green tint in Fellowship, this was my first time watching the film, so I have no other reference to compare it to. I didn't notice any green tint until the snowy mountains scene, where the snow did appear to be very slightly greenish, but not enough to look out-of-place. It looks intentional, and (as one reviewer stated) seems to add to the fantasy effect. And it certainly doesn't blanket the entire film, unless I'm just missing something here.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012, 12:26:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012, 12:27:26 PM PST
Dane says:
Great feedback, Stephen, thank you very much!

Based on yours and Peter's reports, it seems that Amazon does indeed fulfill the $43 orders with the 2012 edition, but that their description is wrong: It's aspect ratio 2.4:1 (NOT 1.77:1); and it DOESN'T have all those extra subtitle languages (only English, Spanish, Portuguese).

Regarding the infamous green tint, I haven't seen the earlier EE Blu-Ray either, but I'll compare it to the EE DVD. Many people are saying, like you, that they don't notice anything that looks off.

Regarding the ISBN, it may not have one. Some movies do, others don't; not sure why.

Thanks again!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012, 9:35:07 AM PST
Dane says:
For those of you who didn't get in on Amazon's $43 deal the other day, Best Buy now has it for $39.99, free shipping, or pick it up at your local store. They list the following specs:

Release Date: 5/1/2012
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
Subtitle Languages: Eng/Spa/Por/KO

This matches more closely what Peter and Stephen have posted for the packages they received from Amazon. Again, more evidence that Amazon's description is off.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012, 5:07:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012, 5:09:30 PM PST
Dane says:
Received my LOTR box set today:

1) ISBN 0-7806-8231-9 (printed above the UPC barcode on the dust jacket). Amazon forgot the packing slip, and I don't see the ASIN anywhere.

2) It is indeed aspect ratio 2.4:1, as others have reported -- and as common sense would have it.

3) It only has English, Spanish, Portuguese subtitles -- also as reported by others. It's English SHD subtitles, not plain English. I sometimes have difficulty hearing what was said and prefer having plain English subtitles. But I hate all those additional comments ("Soft music playing"). This release does not have plain English subtitles, only SHD.

4) Although I have not seen the 2011 Extended Edition Blu-Ray release, I can say that there is definitely a difference in color toning in Fellowship compared to the EE DVD. Everything is more yellowish -- that's probably the infamous green tint that many reviewers have mentioned. It is still watchable, no problem, just different.

A great set, much look forward to watching it with my wife this Christmas :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012, 1:17:56 PM PST
Hunter says:
The CSR was confusing the Hobbit with the "New" BluRay release. They train them so well in India.........(or wherever )

Posted on Nov 26, 2012, 2:54:13 AM PST
Lilly White says:
I'm assuming this doesn't have both Blu Ray and DVD functionality, no choice with regard to Theatrical or Extended versions and they haven't as yet gotten rid of the green and/or yellow. Plus, I'm guessing no Hobbit movie coins, either. Not that I'm going to be eager to watch it right away as I'm not a fan of 3D films.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012, 5:46:01 AM PST
Dane says:
@Lilly: Correct, no DVDs in this box and only the Extended Edition.

If you buy the individual Extended Edition Blu-Rays (which just came out this summer/fall) I hear they allow you to chose between theatrical and EE.

Alternatively, Walmart currently has the theatrical blu-ray box set for $12.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 1:22:19 AM PST
Michele P. says:
@Lilly:

The Hobbit will be released in 2D as well. My local theater has both versions listed.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012, 6:17:19 AM PST
Dom says:
An update since I posted. I did order the "2012" version when it was the daily deal. I can also confirm there are no digital copies and that the aspect ratio is 2.4:1. I have only had time to watch most of the Fellowship of the Ring. I did get to the infamous "green snow scene" but I must report I saw absolutely NO discoloration. I watched very intently and noticed only completely normal white snow. I have read the green tint can be the fault of your TV. If it means anything I have a 42" LCD LG and a LG blu-ray player.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 13, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers