Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2007 8:52:13 AM PST
David Mills says:
From everything I've heard and read about this forthcoming book, it's going to be one of the top atheist books ever published. John Loftus has such a unique background and wit in his writings that I'm literally counting the days until it reaches my home via Amazon. Thank you, John, for your meticulous efforts to educate the rest of us about the many failures of theology.

David Mills

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 9:19:56 AM PST
Thanks my friend! What a wonderful thing to say. I hope you're right about it being a bestseller. Taken together with your pioneering book we are making a difference, or we've just wasted a lot of paper and ink! ;-) In any case you were right to say we are approaching the era of atheism. I'm just glad to be a part of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 3:00:50 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 5:03:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2007 8:14:29 PM PST
C. K. G. says:
Don't knock it until you read it but from the tone of your post I doubt you will. I pre-ordered the book on July 3, 2007. I, like David Mills, cannot wait to read my copy as well. When I read quotes like "there is unlikely to be anything in it that has not been said before, and better" I wonder about your motivation. Is it fear of your belief system being exposed for what it is? Is contempt for a former believer? You seem very sure of what will be written, almost as if you have a preconceived notion about the ideas contained within. I for one will wait and frankly, John has a harder task ahead of him than you know. Most people who will read the book are in his camp and are familiar with the arguments and they are the ones who need something new, not the believers that, if I read your post correctly, is what you are saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2008 12:50:55 PM PST
Alfundo says:
Mr Loftus didn't claim his work was "pioneering", he was referring to the work of David Mills as such. Let's stick to the facts please ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 1:47:43 PM PST
John, I've heard great things about the previous edition of this book. I'll get a copy of your new edition when it comes out.

On another note, I'm curious about why you think Mills's book is "pioneering." I purchased it several months ago and read it. Frankly, I wasn't too impressed. Although I think Mills did a good job throughout the book pointing out some of the logical fallacies of ID proponents and Creationists, I didn't get the impression while reading his book that he could intelligently deal with any major Christian apologists. That's not meant to be a knock on Mills or his book, because I still recommend it to others, but my reason in doing so is not to have them read a "pioneering book," it is to have them gain a new perspective.

I've read somewhere that you're pretty sure Dr. Craig has read this book (referring to your book, John), because he was aware that it was published. Have you gotten any confirmation from him personally that says that he's read it? If not, have you considered sending him a copy, free of charge? I'm just curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 2:06:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2008 4:49:14 PM PST
David Mills was among the first authors, maybe the first, to have a bestselling atheist book, or so I'm told. He pioneered the way in that sense. I too liked how he pointed out the problems with ID proponents, something he did very well which makes his book worth it's price, and for which I recommend it. Apart from that, find the review I did of his book here on amazon.

I'm not sure Craig has read my book, but I am sure he knows about it. I had actually contacted him initially to see if he'd want to co-author a book together as a sort of former professor/student exchange. But he didn't want to do that. I'm pretty sure he'll get a copy when it comes out. Professors like him can get free review copies if they want them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 4:43:30 PM PST
I see what you mean by "pioneering." At least we can agree on the strong point of Mills' book. Needless to say, there are much more sophisticated arguments for atheism out there. (Can you imagine Mills going toe-to-toe with Dr. Craig on the Kalam Cosmological Argument? Also, I have a vague recollection of Mills denying the historicity of Jesus. Can you imagine him debating a knowledgeable Christian apologist on this matter? Even J.P. Holding? I'm not saying that Craig is correct, or that Jesus existed, but I don't get the impression from Mills that he's on the same level as the contemporary Christian apologists that he critiques.) Anyway, I'll look for your review of his book. And again, I don't mean to unfairly criticize Mills, and I hope I'm not creating any animosity. (Perhaps I'm unintentionally being a little harsher on him than others because of his close ties with the Rational Response Squad and some of his ridiculous YouTube videos that I've seen.)

Well, hopefully for your sake Dr. Craig will read the book and share his thoughts on it. I'll be sure to review it once I read it. Since I don't have a google account, I can't post comments on your blog. I may check up on it from time to time, and if I have comments I'll post them in discussion threads in your book's forum (if that's okay with you).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 4:52:30 PM PST
Landon, I'll look forward to your review. I see you liked Sam Harris' book. If you liked his book you will love mine. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 5:15:29 PM PST
Ah, I keep forgetting to change that review. I wrote that review in "the heat of the moment," so to speak, while I was still fired up about the dangers of religion and the brilliant prose of Harris. I do have my problems with Harris, as I'll make clear whenever I write a new book review.

By the way, I recently read "The Truth Behind the New Atheism" by David Marshall (who I've talked with here on Amazon over at the forums for "The God Delusion"). I agree with some of his critiques of the New Atheists and disagree with some of the things in his book. If you're interested, I'll be posting a lengthy critique/review in the forums for his book within a few days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2008 12:19:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2008 12:20:20 PM PST
John, I posted my lengthy critique of David Marshall's book. It's broken up into five segments (in which I seem to constantly plug Richard Carrier's work). I decided to go ahead and plug your book as well, given the good things I've heard about it. I hope my efforts at getting your work and Richard's work read pay off.

For anybody who is interested, part one of my critique is here: http://www.amazon.com/My-Lengthy-Critique-This-Book/forum/Fx61EWY90T921G/Tx1AEZL0JPARD7/1/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdItems=25&cdAnchor=0736922121&asin=0736922121

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2008 2:46:13 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 9, 2008 2:46:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2008 5:39:22 PM PST
Mr. Loftus,
I'm very pleased that your book is coming out in a new edition. I read the self-published first edition, and I think you have much to offer in the recent spate of books on atheism. With so many books out now, it's hard to cover fresh ground, but you managed to do it.

But the reason why I'm glad for the new edition is that the first edition seemed to me more like a rough manuscript than a finished product. Prometheus does good job with their books, so I'm sure yours will benefit greatly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2008 10:08:50 PM PST
S. Kelley says:
Rather interesting how the mass media pert-near totally ignored the self-done study by the Methodist church around 20 or so years ago. If my menory is correct, around 60 percent of Methodist ministers admitted to possessing doubts about the existence of a savior-being with God-like properties as Jesus is declared by many to have possessed.

I do not bother with the unprovable. I remain an open-minded agnostic.

But, I do wonder about the masses and individuals who are convinced of anything that is unprovable, that relies upon "faith" alone.

Then I consider the studies that state 90 percent or so of Americans believe in a God, with the majority of those believing in the God mentioned in the Bible and of Judeo-Christian origin.

That's cool. Doesn't bother me. Then I note the study showing 30 percent of Americans believing that astrology has a real factual impact upon their destiny.

Maybe fully 10 percent of those folks comprise the 10 percent not believing in God. That leaves 20 percent of God believers also believing in astrology.

Well, considering that the human herd, the vast majority anyway, in my opinion, are ruled by their emotions vice logic and rational thinking I am not surprised by the blind adherence to that requiring faith with no physical-to-our-senses proof.

I just wish the pandering politicos would shut their slimy mouths and omit references to religion. Their inane babbling only proves to me that politicians are not capable of running a country.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2008 7:08:44 PM PST
Aaron Kinney says:
Well said David. Both you and Loftus are writers whose works I have long enjoyed reading, and I can't wait for this next book release :D

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 2:28:22 PM PDT
Yahzi says:
There was a study recently where they asked:

"Do you think aliens have visited Earth?" About 20% said yes.

"Do you think the government is hiding evidence of alien visitation?" About 30% said yes.

So 10% of the population doesn't believe that aliens have visited Earth, but does believe the government is covering it up!

Now that's some whacky beliefs. :D
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2007
Latest post:  Jun 8, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about