Reviewed in the United States on February 20, 2020
While I enjoyed the suspense aspects of this book, I felt like the pacing was off. In a book that has such a suspense element, I like for the action to be always moving forward and tight. This book never really felt like that to me. The beginning felt particularly slow. The initial chapter pulled you right into the intrigue, but I felt it cooled off rather quickly in the next chapter. In all honesty, not much really seems to happen in the first 10% or so, other than the mysterious first chapter. I prefer it when a book grabs me at least by that point, but this one really didn’t. I must admit, though, that one of the errors in the first chapter led me first pause and then literally laugh out loud. The mistake is still in the published book when I checked it at Amazon. I am a very visual reader, so when the author stated that one character “licked his hips” instead of lips (!), I had a hard time looking at this book at a serious light. There were definitely some other issues with grammar, punctuation, and usage—though none quite as funny as that one. I did like the heroine. I love it when women in these historical books manage to work their way into a “gentlemen's” league.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink