Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on February 9, 2003
I've been practicing "Mindfulness" meditation for about 7 months now. It's been very helpful, and suits me well. A couple of months ago, I attended my first retreat, of 4 days, at Spirit Rock. It was easily the most profound thing I've done in my life. And one of the hardest. And I'd do it again in a second.
Unfortunately, because of my schedule, I'm not able to attend another retreat for several months. So, when I heard about people taking "personal" weekend retreats alone, I decided to try one myself. This book is a -wonderful- "manual" for doing such a retreat. I locked myself in my house for 3 days, and used this book as my teacher. Sylvia writes so warmly... I really needed her compassionate words when my sittings got rough. I found myself laughing aloud at her words a handful of times during the retreat. It was a hard retreat (I find meditation -very- hard to practice daily, but I do it anyway because that's the only way really), but I emerged with a similar feeling as my first retreat -- more aware, and more loving toward myself. She also offers a handful of techniques that were new to me, and helped me greatly.
I would not recommend this book if you have never attended a formal retreat (in a group setting, with experienced teachers). But, if you've done that, then this is a great way to supplement and boost awareness "in-between" formal retreats.
I took one "star" away only because I found the timetables hard to keep up with. My 2nd night, I didn't get to bed until 11pm. ...On second thought that was my own fault for taking a long afternoon nap... Maybe I should have given it five... Oh, just let me keep this one grudge, please? :)
Thank goodness for people like Sylvia. She knows exactly how to make the self-critic in my meditation ("I'm not DOING it right!") run for cover.
0Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.