Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast and easy, October 12, 2009
This review is from: ThermoWorks Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen - Instant Read Digital Cooking Thermometer
I've tried other thermometers, but got frustrated waiting endlessly while they slowly ticked upward. I don't have that problem with the Thermapen. With the others, I spent too much time with my head in the oven (and the heat getting out) and it finally occurred to me that I'd be better off paying for a really good FAST thermometer that would work in a variety of settings. I bake bread and like to check the internal temperature of large loaves to ensure proper doneness, but don't much want a big hole in the bottom. The probe on the Thermapen is very slender so the hole is significantly smaller than when I've used the others.

Another thing I like is that when you open the Thermapen, it's instant on, close it and it's off. The changeable battery is easily accessible when, and if, you need to change it, ensuring a very long life.

One bonus for me is that I may be cooking a single serving of something so there isn't much space to insert a thermometer. The sensor in this probe is quite near the end so you don't have to insert it very far to get a good reading. The only thing I don't like is that being left-handed, the display is on the wrong side for me, so I have to consciously think to hold it in my right hand in order to read it.

I ended up with my multitude of probe thermometers because none of them really did the job satisfactorily. Happily, this thermometer is really effective. While I don't plan to get it wet, who knows, the kitchen is a volatile place, so I decided to spend a little more for the water resistant version to ensure that wouldn't be a problem. It doesn't clip on to a pan so doesn't work for candy, but I've used it for just about everything else and am very satisfied.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2011 4:59:43 PM PDT
Lynne E. says:
Thank you for mentioning that the sensor is near the tip, so that you don't have to insert it very far. That is the one thing I really needed to know, before investing in this high-end meat thermometer. You sold me!

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 4:32:57 PM PDT
Tulips says:
Was wondering if it can be re-calibrated?...or if that's not even ever needed?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 8:36:21 PM PDT
C. G. King says:
Sorry I can't answer your question. I seem to remember the directions saying something about settings in the battery compartment, but I have not opened it to investigate. The temp readings seem right to me and I remain very happy with the thermometer. Perhaps another reader can give you an answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 9:21:21 PM PDT
Tulips says:
Thank you. I just bought it anyway due to the great reviews. I can most liekly contact ThermoWorks if I want to know about re-calibrating it. They will be able to answer that.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 9:39:15 PM PST
eyedoctodd says:
Apparently it has 2-point calibration (good):

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 6:20:48 AM PDT
Brenda says:
I'd like to know your opinion on how you think this thermometer would work for checking loaves of bread. I do whole grain baking and loaves need to be 190F in the center. Looking at this online I'm having a hard time determining if the probe will reach the center without the plastic display touching the top of the loaf. The picture shows it at about a 45-degree opening, but can it open to 90-degrees, or dare I ask, 180-degrees? Thanks for any insight you can give me. I am done purchasing corded probes :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 7:08:32 AM PDT
C. G. King says:
I use it for checking my bread all the time. While I don't bother checking on smaller loaves, it's hard to tell by the crust if a big loaf is done just as I like it. The probe itself is 4.5" long so it works fine for even my biggest loaves (I stick it in the bottom). Since the probe is narrower than others (less then 1/8" diameter), it doesn't leave much of a hole. It will open to 180 degrees (all the way straight) and that's how I use it most of the time. Another nice feature is that since the bottom 1/2" of the probe is even narrower and the point sharp, when the Thermapen is closed, the point fits tightly into a little slot so you'll never get poked when reaching in the drawer to find it or something else. I've never regretted investing in this item. It is still working perfectly and I haven't needed to change the battery yet either.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 7:52:16 AM PDT
Brenda says:
Oh, thank you so very much for answering my questions. I am now sold on this product and feel confident making the purchase.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 12:17:54 PM PDT
Nanciejeanne says:
Thanks for the left-handed comment! I am a lefty too and people often don't notice limitations on products based on handedness!! While it still seems like I will get this product, it is nice to know ahead of time and make a better-informed decision!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 2:08:15 PM PDT
C. G. King says:
That is so true. I love this thermometer and just deal with the issues, but I'd be super happy if they'd make one especially for lefthanders.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›