Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

on December 14, 2008
I looked forward to getting this new translation of books 3 & 4 of Picatrix because I have a particular interest in incenses used in magic. I'd had the French translation of the Latin on my wish list for such a long time, but when this turned up, I thought it would be a better investment. Was I ever wrong.

This is one of the most amateurish translations of any text I have ever seen. It reminds me of being an undergrad in Russian and trying to make sense of a Pushkin story--I'd get all the words translated and still couldn't understand what the heck the sentence said. That happens so often in this book. If I were this translator, I would either change my name so no one knew I did this work or find employment in some other field.

There is no editing. At the very least, typos could have been caught, but there are very many. Likewise, some attempts could have been made to smooth over the faulty, language-lab translation, but that was not done either. The resulting text is simply not usable.

It shows a deep disrespect for one's customers to produce something like this. I will not be buying anything else from this publisher.

I went ahead and bought the French version after receiving this one. The French version is just a paperback, but at least I have assurance that the translator actually knew what she was doing.
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.