Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars Check Netgear's Website First for Compatability!, July 7, 2011
This review is from: Netgear PUSH2TV HD PTV2000 1080P Adapter for Wireless Display (Personal Computers)
You need to check Netgear's website under PUSH2TV for compatibility with your computer before buying this product. Look under "Supported Laptops", choose which country and see if your laptop is listed. If it's not, it probably won't work. I have a brand new HP Pavilion dv7-6143cl 17" laptop with a 2nd generation Intel Core i7 processor, 8 gigs of ram and it came equipped with Intel WiDi 2.0 and the Intel "My WiFi Technology" (all necessary for WiDi to work) but the PTV2000 will not work with it. In fact, there are only 2 HP Laptops listed on Netgear's website that are compatible with it. I actually did get it to work for about an hour after downloading the latest software version off Intel's website and was able too to upgrade the firmware in the PTV2000 to the latest while I had it running. I thought all was well but after I shut it down and came back later to try it again it was a no go again. I have not been able to get it to work again even after uninstalling and reinstalling the software repeatedly. I called Netgear and they say there's nothing they can do for me since my laptop isn't in their compatibility list.

I purchased my PTV2000 at Best Buy so I guess I'll have to take it back and take the 15% re-stocking hit. I would have thought that a product designed to receive a WiDi signal would have worked with a product designed to transmit a WiDi signal, but I guess I was wrong. I figured the only real issues would have been with your internet speed (for streaming) and your processor speed (for lag time) but the real issue here is about "compatibility" of which there are relatively few computers that actually are compatible. I'm not even sure why it is sold in the stores to the mainstream public since there are so few computers listed as compatible. The chances of someone walking in off the street or shopping online and actually owning one of those compatible computer's is pretty slim. The salesman at Best Buy said that as long as you have a 2nd gen. Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 and WiDi on your computer that it should work, which makes sense. But looking at the compatibility list would suggest otherwise. Perhaps that's why there are so many mixed reviews about it. It either works great, or it doesn't work or is buggy. Check the list first and save the hassle. Buyer beware.

I gave it 1 star because there are so few computer's that are actually "compatible" with it and it is being sold as if the only requirement is that you own a laptop with "Intel Wireless Display" on board. Now if only the "Intel Wireless Display" in my HP laptop was compatible with Netgear's "Intel Wireless Display", we would have had a home run here. Because for the 1 hour that I got it to work, it was amazingly good.

What a shame.

*****UPDATE*****

Not wanting to give up since it worked so well when it did work, I ended up calling HP's technical support line to see if they had any recommendations as to what kind of WiDi adapter was supposed to work with my HP laptop since it came installed with WiDi. They thought the PTV2000 "should" work and ended up spending about 3 hours on the phone with me troubleshooting, taking over my computer, and ultimately re-installing the operating system and software back to the factory out of the box state it was when new. Fortunately, I've only had it a few weeks so I didn't have a lot installed on it yet. But the problem ended up being with an internet security program that I installed called Malwarebytes instead of using the pre-installed trial version of Norton Internet Security 2011. I was told by a very tech savvy friend that Malwarebytes combined with Avast Antivirus offered better security and was less resource hungry than Norton was so I went with that instead. All was fine until I tried to use the WiDi. I had no idea that was causing all the trouble. And why should I? Netgear themselves said my computer was incompatible with their device. I guess that's their way of getting out of spending much time on the phone with tech support. Personally, I think they shot themselves in the foot on this one.

I'm raising my rating to 3 stars because the product is so good if you can get it to work (no thanks to Netgear!). But I'm refraining from giving it 5 stars because of Netgear's lack of support for their own product. You'd think they would want to find out why customer's are having problems so they can help other customer's faster in the future. That was the whole reason HP was willing to spend so much time with me. They said that this is "cutting edge" technology and if I was willing to spend the time, they would be sure to get my computer working properly and learn from this experience so that they could help other customer's in the future more quickly. Now that's customer support! Fortunately I had the time to spend with them. They even called me back a couple of hours later to make sure my computer was still running faultlessly. And it is. Thank you HP!

*****ADDITIONAL INFO*****

I tried watching a movie streamed from Netflix and the WiDi connection kept randomly disconnecting. So I searched the help files included with the WiDi app and it suggested changing my firewall settings by going into the "Allow a program through a Windows Firewall" settings. It was already allowing "MyWiFiDHCPDNS" and "WiDiapp" through. (I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS) So I clicked the "Change Settings" button and added "Intel(R) My WiFi Technology" and "Intel(R) Wireless Display" through as well. I have tested it up to 7 hours now and it has been completely stable the entire time so that seems to have fixed it. I made the mistake of upgrading to the latest software version 2.1.39.0 and I could no longer connect. So I had to go back to the factory out of the box condition and rebuild the computer back to the state it was in before I upgraded the WiDi software. The WiDi software version my computer came with from the factory is 2.0.30.0 and that seems to work best for this computer. There may have been an easier way to accomplish that, but I tried using system restore to get it back to that state and despite it restoring it back to the old version, the WiDi still would not connect. So since I hadn't really added anything much to the computer since the last re-install, I just bit the bullet and started over again. Now with everything back to factory condition and the firewall mods I mentioned, everything is working top notch. Hopefully it will stay that way.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 10, 2011, 8:01:29 PM PDT
B. Shaik says:
Ernie,
good to hear about your experience on PTV2000, I have a question, how is the lag between laptop and TV when you are operating, is it instantaneous or few milliseconds? no where in any of the reviews i find this detail. appreciate if you can through some light on it.

Posted on Jul 10, 2011, 9:03:03 PM PDT
Avik says:
Ernie - Thanks so much for the detailed review. I too (before reading your review) checked out the compatibility list and was nervous after not seeing the model of my brand new HP Dv6t quad core laptop on he list of supported laptos. Also, I called HP and they were patient enough to check into it for me - even though my laptop's not been delivered yet (arrives in a couple days). I wanted to do th research and order the Netgear adapter so that its here in time for my laptop. I too thought it should work (just like you) given that the processor supports it - my concern was that I have a Radeon graphics card but after reading another reviewer's comment looks like all I have to do to get it to work is to switch the display to the Intel HD video since that's what is supported by WiDi (so bluray movies are OK but maybe graphics intensive games that benefit from a dedicated graphics card are best left to viewing via an HDMI cable - if I want to watch on my TV). Your review clarified all my doubts - looks like I will try it with all firewall and antivirus off first (I opted for the Norton AV) and then gradually turn protection on - that way hopefully it should work without issues. Most importantly, I appreciate your feedback about Netgear's tech support - makes me nervous about buying their product but am glad HP's support was so helpful. And thanks for all the additional info - very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2011, 10:29:34 PM PDT
B. Shaik,
There is about a 1/4 to a 1/2 sec delay between the computer and the TV screen. The sound however is synced to the TV and it is automatically transferred to the TV as well. I have been streaming several movies these last two days and the sound has been in sync with all but one movie. That movie was in HD. I don't know if that had anything to do with it since other movies I tested in HD worked well. The picture actually looks better on the TV (a 61" Samsung HDTV) than it does on the computer screen. Not that it looks bad on the computer, it just looks better on the TV whether it's standard def or hi def. Both definitions look very good with hi def having the edge. The hi def doesn't compare to BluRay hi def quality, but it'a plenty good considering I can watch unlimited movie's through Netflix for $7.99 a month now where one BluRay movie costs around $20.00 and up. There are a few dropouts occasionally especially during the fast action scenes that aren't present on the computer screen. So they're not due to the internet streaming but rather the wireless link between the computer and the ptv2000. I tried it also with the computer 3 rooms away and still got good results at 3 out of 5 bars signal strength. Dropouts were a little more prevelent though. Overall though I am very pleased with the performance and am willing to sacrafice a little image quality for the convenience factor.

I downloaded the WiDi Widget app that you can find on Intel's website when you click "Check for updates". It allows me to project movies to the TV while doing other things on the computer. As I am writing this I am streaming a movie to the TV from the same computer. Pretty handy little app I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2011, 11:10:41 PM PDT
Avik,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad my review was helpful to you.

I too have the Radeon graphics card but it seems to default to Intel HD when the WiDi app is opened. I'm not sure how it's going to work for gaming since I'm not a gamer. You may have to go direct through HDMI like you said. I haven't tried anything with the graphics on the computer yet. I might have to get more into that when I start editing my AVCHD videos on it. But so far I haven't got that far yet.

As far as my Norton Internet Security settings go, I have been running it with everything fully turned on with no problems. Ever since I added those two things I mentioned to the allow through the firewall settings everything has been working great. One thing I would recommend is to stick with the WiDi software version that comes on your computer from the factory. The wireless driver and the graphics driver were already current and up to date on my HP computer straight from the factory as I'm sure they will be on yours too. So I never had to touch them.

HP's tech support was truley wonderful for me. Even though it was from India, they spoke good english and were very patient (as was I) and more than willing to do whatever was needed to get things running properly for me. I think being patient and respectful with them also went a long way to get the same patience and respect back in return. As far as Netgear's tech support goes though, you can forget about getting much help from them if your computer isn't on their compatibility list. Quite a far cry from HP's willingness to help. I hope everything goes well for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2011, 10:42:21 PM PDT
B. Shaik says:
Thanks Ernie for the quick reply. I have Lenovo X220 with Widi compatible wireless card, my main intention of buying this product is to browse internet on TV and watch occassional youtube videos or some tv channels, with 1/2 second of lag, do you recommend this to be a good buy for my needs?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011, 9:30:35 PM PDT
Ernie says:
Yes. It works very well for surfing and Youtube viewing. There is no delay with the mouse. It responds instantly to your moves. Youtube videos play in perfect sync on the TV. But if you glance at the computer screen, the audio will be out of sync with what's showing on the laptop. However this is a non issue because the audio is transferred to the TV, and that is in sync. If the video on the laptop is too distracting you can always turn it to "Projector Only" by pressing the video button (F4) and switching it. Then the laptop will be black and you will only see your computer on the TV. The lag won't be noticeable then unless you type something. There will be a slight delay from the time you push the key to the time it shows up on the screen. If you are a really fast typist that could be somewhat annoying. But for general surfing and video viewing it works excellent.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011, 3:18:58 AM PDT
Janet L. Ng says:
Clicking the "Change Settings" button and adding "Intel(R) My WiFi Technology" and "Intel(R) Wireless Display" through were exactly my issues. Before doing this, I could view everything on my TV, but the Netflix HD movies looked really bad. After changing the settings as Ernie suggested above, the Netflix movies are NOW in beautiful HD.

I have another laptop connected to my TV - wired to it with monitor and sound cables, and it also has a fantastic quality when watching a Netflix movie - however when going "full screen" with it, it does not fit the whole screen really, but has space at top and bottom of screen. My laptop that is using Push2TV, however, fills the entire screen on my TV when watching the very same movie on Netflix - with perfect 1080p HD quality (now that I made the settings change mentioned in my first sentence above).

I am so glad I read Ernie's review because I was at first very dissapointed with the picture quality Push2TV was pushing to my TV UNTIL I made the settings change.

Thank you Ernie for giving that tip - it worked, and now I am very happy with the Push2TV - yet, I agree with you about the rating because they should have given that tip, themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011, 10:30:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2011, 10:42:59 AM PDT
Janet L. Ng,

Thank you for the nice reply. When I see that my review was helpful to others it makes the effort so much more worthwhile. I'm glad I was able to help you solve your Push2TV issues.

My Push2TV is still working great since HP helped me. It's too bad Netgear wasn't the one willing to provide the tech support to solve my issues. Netgear kept emailing me to participate in their customer satisfaction survey. At first I didn't respond because I figured it was a waste of time just like calling their tech support was. But eventually I decided to respond and tell them exactly what I thought and how helpful HP was to solve my issues. I haven't heard back from them since and I don't expect to either. Maybe someone that matters will eventually see it and make some changes. Time will tell.

Ernie

Posted on Sep 27, 2011, 11:22:54 PM PDT
Joseph Suh says:
This is a great post and very kind. I wish to see more of Ernie's comments.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012, 9:15:48 PM PST
It took me a while to find the compatibility list, so I figured I'd post it here to save others a few minutes

for other countries, select from the list here: http://www.netgear.com/ptv
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›