Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid quality and nice looking luggage for a great price, May 19, 2011
This review is from: US Traveler New Yorker 4 Piece Luggage Set Expandable (Apparel)
I'll be honest, I haven't taken this on a trip yet. I bought mine for a long trip to Korea in August. However, I took mine apart, toyed with it all, and stress tested all the handles, wheels, and zippers. It's pretty sturdy for the most part and has good stitching and fastening on the main handles. The zippers ran relatively smooth and didn't catch on any of the inside material or anything (a major pet peeve of mine). The zippers are pretty large too which makes it easy, and it comes with simple locks for basic security. There's not many compartments on the set (the pics reveal all), but for the average traveler it should be sufficient. The look of it is also really nice (I bought the charcoal set) and it seems like great luggage for an affordable price.

One thing I'd worry about and stress test in advance: the extending handles used for rolling around on each one. These do seem rather flimsy, especially the release button for it. I'd recommend playing with each a few times and pulling firmly to see if it'll hold without breaking. Mine held fine but I can see where people may snap there's accidentally (especially if you're not careful). I'd be curious if people would give more specifics as to what broke on their handles (the release button, the telescoping part, or the actual handle itself). I'm also curious whether they were using this handle to carry the luggage or if it broke just rolling it around.

Just buy in advance and test it all out well before you leave, don't blind buy and never try it until you pack for the airport.

Update 6/20/11: I took these to Vegas for a weekend trip and they held up well. I used the handles and pulled them around for a while on the trip. I had to take these around the airport for hours since my flight was cancelled and I checked in a two hotels. For a single weekend I got a lot of use out of them and they were sturdy. Everything held up perfectly.

Update 7/23/11: I moved from Los Angeles to Seoul, Korea, then to Gwangju, Korea. This set has had its fair share of use by now and I've been lugging it around a lot in the past couple weeks in Korea. It's still going great and holding up perfectly under stress. No issues whatsoever.

Update 3/28/12: This luggage is still awesome. I took it to Tokyo, Japan for a week and carted it around a lot on subways, trains, stairs, etc. and it's still perfectly intact.

Final update 10/23/12: I noticed this review is the highest now so I'll make one last update. STILL perfect after traveling across SE Asia. I even mailed the medium piece ground (boat) from Korea to the States. The package was beat up but the luggage was still undamaged.

Okay, I lied. ONE last update: 6/16: It FINALLY broke!! After about 5 years, the handle broke off the main piece. I regret nothing!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2012 7:54:50 PM PST
A very helpful review indeed and I will consider purchasing this item for my long trip in May. I liked the 3 reviews made after different travelling experiences!! That was great!

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 9:33:53 AM PST
J L says:
Thanks for the detailed review with updates! I am also traveling to South Korea next month and this set looks perfect for the price. I am still looking around, but will most likely purchase this set based on what I've seen so far.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 5:47:31 AM PDT
SupaMom says:
Your updates have really helped me with my decision. This is one of the most helpful reviews I have seen on Amzn. I wiil def make the purchase and most importantly share my experience using the product. I have 3 trips coming up, one overseas.

Thanks

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 5:44:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2012 9:58:43 AM PDT
MarcyW says:
This is the most helpful review I have read. So many say "Just opened the box and I love the color! I give it 5 stars!!" This review follows useage over a year's time. Your review is the reason I'll be buying this luggage. Thank you for taking the time.
9/3/12
Just returned from our cruise and am very sorry to have to say "DO NOT BUY THIS LUGGAGE!" The handle pulled off of 2 cases (largest & the carry-on) as the driver was taking them out of the trunk BEFORE the cruise. Sharp shards from where the handle broke cut his hand quite badly. The handles on the SIDE of the cases are strong, but the handles on top are attached by light metal clips that break easily. The zipper broke on the medium case's top, outside pocket 4th day into the cruise. Finally, the telescoping handle on the the carry-on broke in the airport coming home. All this happened the first time we used the pieces. Very disappointed. Just printed my return label.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 5:19:34 AM PDT
Laptop user says:
Thank you for this very helpful review! Awesome details and updates after multiple trips? You have made my purchasing decision very easy. :)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 10:45:03 PM PST
Gaby says:
So what is the latest? Bottom line I need it for the next few years of travels we are a family of four. We plan on traveling perhaps 3X's a year by airplane. Should we get this??? How are the wheels on it? How is the stitching?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 7:03:21 AM PST
Well considering that in the past year and a half I've traveled with these to and from Korea twice, to Japan, all across Southeast Asia and used on short trips in the States, I'd say I've got my money's worth.

The stitching and wheels are fine, sturdy and smooth. Probably not amazing but they work totally sufficiently.

Remember what I said though: Buy these in advance and test it all out. A fair amount of people still seem to be having bad luck and getting defective sets.

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 7:44:55 PM PDT
Deep Well says:
Many thanks to you for taking the time to write and update this review. I have never seen a more thorough one.

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 9:21:04 PM PDT
Maur says:
Thank you for the detail cause I am going on a trip to Thailand in January and been looking for luggage that will stand the test of time. I had a set after 2 years the handle broke and a wheel popped out. Thanks again. Looks like I am following along and buying a set.

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 8:12:59 AM PST
Thanks for taking time to review this product. I'm looking for luggage and this seem like a good choice. The unfortunate part of ANY luggage is that it is only as good as the people handling it. As I sit in the aircraft window seat looking out and watching guys load the luggage in the plane, it appears they really don't care very much. A brand new piece can be destroyed the first time used. Almost makes a person want to take the old dirty dented luggage so you won't be upset when it gets one more dirt mark. Duct tape is ugly, but cheap............
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›