Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ed Sheeran Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 3, 2009
I'd had my eye on this "cream canoe" pan for quite a while, so I was delighted to receive it as a Christmas gift from my husband. I wasn't disappointed; this nonstick baking pan bakes nice 4-inch Twinkie-style mini-cakes in 15 minutes (remember, don't overfill the pan!). The box includes a kit with several plastic decorator tips, including a long cylindrical tip for injecting your cakes with cream filling. The kit also features a small sheet of paper with recipes for chocolate "canoe" cakes (using store-bought chocolate cake mix) and cream filling.

We've been baking a lot of gluten-free treats in our household since I've been diagnosed with gluten sensitivity, so I was particularly eager to use the Norpro Cream Canoe pan for making a gluten-free version of our beloved Twinkies and cupcakes. We got excellent results using our vanilla sponge cake recipe from Annelise G. Roberts's GLUTEN-FREE BAKING CLASSICS (also available on Amazon.com, BTW). Before that, I tried to make chocolate "Twinkies" for a family gathering, but our tender chocolate fudge cake recipe wasn't up to it: the injector all but tore the delicate cakes apart. Since they still tasted good, we used frosting and the filling recipe to "glue" the cakes back together. The cream-filled cupcakes and "mini-eclairs," as our relatives called the Twinkie-oids, were a hit! :-) So give the Norpro Cream Canoe Pan a try, whatever your dietary needs may be!
55 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?