Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

1.0 out of 5 stars Godin needs to come up with something new, April 13, 2011
This review is from: Poke the Box (Hardcover)
Seth Godin has a set of disciples that will eat up anything that he puts out. That explains the high ratings for this book. The message of this book is so watered down and simplistic. This is part of the Seth Godin formula of churning out atleast 1 book a year.

The book falls way short of my exceptions. I've read most of Godin's books from the last 5 years including Dip, Linchpin and Purple Cow. Poke the Box is the same message rehashed. Waste of my money and time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2011, 12:07:15 PM PDT
B. Knight says:
Amen.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011, 3:45:15 PM PDT
Tom Terrific says:
Yes, I can understand all these negative comments. Seth is a bit like a provocateur. An instigator. Or, as a previous 1-star reviewer called him, a nag.

I generally enjoy his books. I especially liked "All Marketers are Liars". But it is true he puts forth a premise and then beats it to death. Then beats it to death again.

Yet there is something very "Lays Potato Chips-y" about his writing. "No one can read just one Godin posting!" (and yes, his writing is very much like blogging - or sometimes even twittering).

Also, I think he is attempting to do with The Domino Effect what he has tried to do with Change This. Offering non-fiction writers, speakers and thinkers a platform to get their ideas to a wider audience by distilling them down to their purest essence. I don't think it's worked for Change This, though. The problem I have had with nearly all the Change This "manifestos" I've read is that they are nothing of the sort. Let's face it, truly "New" "Breakthrough" "Cutting Edge" (choose your superlative) thinking and ideas are not produced on an assembly line. Einstein came up with relativity at the age of 26 and then struggled his whole life to do it again. Yet he rejected (for a while) quantum mechanics.

Plus, with the Change This ebooks (never more than 18 pages-tops!) I always feel like the authors still have their best stuff buried in the book they advertise for sale at the end of their manifesto. Which is fine, but most of the time I haven't really enjoyed or benefited from what I've read from them enough to make the purchase.

Now I wouldn't go so far as to apply that criticism to Seth and his books. I enjoy them and find them provocative and sometimes inspiring.

Putting the most generous spin on his work (because, let's face it, a lot of people like his work, including me most of the time), I think Seth engages us in what Edward de Bono calls "po", which is a provocation; an encouragement to engage in lateral thinking.

Also, I think instead of laying out his arguments in a left brain, logical way, he attempts to help us see new the patterns of new ideas holistically and not just by examining and lecturing us about their constituent parts.

In case you missed it, that's an invitation to read de Bono's book, "I Am Right You Are Wrong."

Thanks for all the 1-star reviews. I always give more weight to such reviews because I think I learn more about a book from them. And if I buy a book anyway, it's never in spite of them but because of them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›