Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Info, But Not For the 50+ Woman, February 15, 2012
This review is from: The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series) (Paperback)
Without question, the logic of this book is rock-solid. And as time goes on, the theory that it's the carbs that are making us fat will be seen as truth, not cutting-edge theory.

However, for anyone buying this book for weight loss, particularly post-menopausal women, you may have to go elsewhere for help. I've been doing this diet for a solid two months, and I've actually gained three pounds. And believe me, I've been diligent...no cheating, no overdoing it on the calories.

What's funny about Mark's web site and books (I have two) is that in the photos that accompany them, he proudly shows off his strapping physique (good for him). But the woman he's with is clearly much younger than him. Undoubtedly, she's doing the primal thing, too, but as any post-menopausal woman knows, your weight issues before and after "the change" are two entirely different animals.

I even went to marksdailyapple.com for advice, but the only listing that came up under a search for menopausal weight loss was one discussion board piece written by a woman who'd suddenly gained weight after menopause, even while following the whole primal protocol. Her solution was to severely restrict her calories.

But that was the ONLY INFO on his site...or in this book for that matter...for the 50+ gal. Not criticizing his theories here...just alerting women like myself that you may feel a bit left out of this whole discussion. I'm currently researching other books that will address this sudden weight gain. (I've gained 18+ pounds in just 3 years. Pretty freaky when you've been very thin your whole life.) If anyone has some suggestions for me, I'd appreciate it. I'll be back to check the comments.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 34 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 258 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2012 10:13:43 PM PST
Look up Dr. Jack Kruse website. He is a well known neurologist who has written extensively on the Leptin RX plan for folks who are Leptin Resistant. It is paleo with a few specific changes to help you become sensitive to Leptin. He has helped heal many menopausal women.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 7:48:39 AM PST
David--How kind of you to reply with this info! I'm on my way to that site right now. Thank you so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:43:40 AM PST
Mark Sisson says:
Mary Ann-- Thanks for purchasing the book and for your comments. I have to say, my wife Carrie was thrilled to hear you call her a "clearly younger woman." She is actually 56 and has been in menopause for five or six years now. She looks and feels the way she does because she lives this way every day. Still, there are issues you face that I probably need to address in greater detail in the next book and on my site. I will make every effort to do that. Mark.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 7:28:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012 7:41:18 AM PST
Mark--I need to first make a quick correction. I purchased the "21-Day Transformation" (along with a cookbook), so please note my review is of that book, not the one listed here. Second, I stand corrected about your wife! She looks amazing for 56 years old. But I think the deeper point I was trying to make was whether this woman in the photo had ever experienced post-menopausal weight gain, as 85% of woman apparently do. Some are lucky, though, like my mom, who never had a single menopause symptom--no weight gain, no hot flashes, no anything. I, on the other hand, have had them all.

If your wife DID experience weight gain, I'd love to know how she handled it via your program, and I'm thrilled to hear that you will address this issue in the future, as I think there are millions of us post-men gals out there who are baffled by our quickly shifting shapes, and our lack of success with ANY program to take off the unwanted pounds. (Believe it or not, the *only* source I could find regarding weight loss that's directed towards the menopausal woman was Suzanne Somers. While I appreciate her efforts, I think there's a serious--and surprising--hole in the market!)

As was suggested to me in these comments, I did go to Dr. Krause's site, but his plan (and prognosis) sounded downright dismal. To lose weight, he urges us to eat a diet of eggs (four every morning!), meat and water (basically 50g carbs per day), then goes on to say that while men will quickly lose pounds, WOMEN WON'T; we'll just notice that our "clothes will fit differently." WTF??? I'm going to gag myself on that diet for such vague results? That's as good as none in my book. I appreciate his brilliance, but is he also nuts? I realize he's stressing that his diet is also for health and longevity, but my response to that is the old joke--Will I live longer, or will it just FEEL longer (all while being two pants sizes larger)?

PLEASE, kind sir, if you could address the weight gain issues that come with menopause, and come up with a serious plan to help shed the unwanted pounds, two things will happen: Millions of women will worship you, I being one, and you'll become a gazillionaire. :)

Obviously, there's something very different about the menopausal metabolism, as my younger sister lost weight on your plan effortlessly. What's different about me, and what do I need to do about it?

Thank you so much for your reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 5:58:38 PM PDT
T. Wagner says:
Have you ever been tested for food allergies? Are there still some primal foods that you are eating that you should cut out? Perhaps these are causing inflammation for you and impeding your progress. Just my two cents! Tomatoes and all nightshades can be a big culprit...and you can easily overdo it on eating too many nuts as well!

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 12:33:31 PM PDT
Anne Speck says:
The other thing you should have tested (in addition to the above suggestions) is your body fat. The reason is that if you are getting stronger you may see that as a gain on the scale, but you should also see a drop in body fat. (This is also the reason some programs do body measurements and/or max daily rep.) This should not put you off -- remember that exercise also maintains bone density and helps regulate hormones.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 9:22:51 PM PDT
sally smith says:
Mary Ann, I am in Hot Flash Hell here, age 53. 40 pounds overweight. yes, men lose easier. not fair! I am on facebook a lot: on Mark's Daily Apple, Jimmy Moore's page, Wheat Belly, and Fat Head (come join us!) I do what I am suspose to and nada. meanwhile some man comes in and says "I just lost 60 pounds last week and it's easy!" argggggggggg! lol and, I do not want to hear - be happy, your clothes will feel looser! I want pounds off! and now! I was a skinny kid, so this is just too wierd for me! would love for Mark and Mrs Mark to find a cure for Hot Flashes! and the weight. I am reading Primal Blueprint right now, and just bought the cookbook. yea.
best of luck! hugs!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 4:25:01 AM PDT
Sally, just be careful with the Blueprint program, as I gained three pounds on it. Mark did say in these comments that he would address menopause in the future, but right now I don't believe that diet works for the menopausal metabolism. I'm doing better now just limiting my calories. I do the low carb thing at dinner, eat no bread at all at any meal, and I've finally stopped gainimg. I have even lost a few, but am basically just maintaining. Wish I could lose a good 15 pounds. Let me know if you find anything that works! Good luck

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:51:07 AM PDT
Joi says:
Slightly off topic, but I take evening primrose oil for my RA but it is supposed to be awesome help for hot flashes and accelerating weight loss..

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:09:49 PM PDT
Thank you! I'll try it! Appreciate the info...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›